PDA

View Full Version : I need your knowledge!

Breine
05-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I've grown a bit tired of my game collection, and I feel like I need something new to mix it up a bit. I'd love to get some recommendations for good PS3 and Wii games, but PS2 games are more than welcome as well :)

So, hit me! :bigsmile:

Flying Mullet
05-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Any preferred genres?

VeloZer0
05-08-2010, 02:08 PM
If you could post a list of what your favorite games are were we could probably get a better handle on your tastes.

JKTrix
05-08-2010, 04:18 PM
2 blind recommendations for games I haven't played but are coming soon:

3D Dot Game Heroes (http://www.3ddotgameheroes.com/) (PS3), out on May 11th in the US. It's basically a big 8-bit nostalgia trip encapsulated in the gameplay design of the first Zelda.

Trauma Team (http://www.atlus.com/traumateam/) (Wii), out on May 18th in the US. The latest in the Trauma Center series that used to focus on just surgeries using the DS Stylus or the Wii Pointer, but this one introduces 5 other medicinal disciplines in addition to the standard surgery. The biggest addition is Forensics, which appears to be a large chunk of the game and is fashioned a little more after the Phoenix Wright style of adventure game.

You might notice that both of these games are published by Atlus. They have a pretty good track record of quality games, so chances are 80% of the time you pick up something with their name on it it'll be something good.

Both of these games will be $40 brand new.

Breine
05-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Alrighty :)

I thought it'd be easiest if I just posted a list of what games I own - it should give you guys a pretty clear idea of what I like.

PS1:
Battle Arena Toshinden 3
Bloody Roar
Bloody Roar II
Chocobo Racing
Crash Team Racing
Driver
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Incredible Crisis
Pandemonium 2
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
Rayman
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Soul Blade
Spyro the Dragon
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Street Fighter Alpha: Warrior's Dreams
Tekken
Tekken 3
Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider II
Tomb Raider III
Tomb Raider: Chronicles
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Toshinden Subaru
Vagrant Story
X-Men: Mutant Academy
Xena: Warrior Princess

PS2:
DOA2: Hardcore
Dark Cloud 2
Death by Degrees
Devil May Cry
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Ico
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
SSX 3
Shadow of the Colossus
SoulCalibur II
SoulCalibur III
Tekken 4
Tekken 5
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness

PS3:
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grand Theft Auto IV
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Tomb Raider: Underworld

NES:
Battletoads
Kirby's Adventure
Lemmings
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3

SNES:
Super Mario World

GameCube:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Wii:
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Super Mario Galaxy

JKTrix
05-08-2010, 06:11 PM
You seem to like fighting games, so this post is dedicated to fighting games. They've had a bit of a resurgence in the last two years, with the biggest one being Street Fighter 4. Super Street Fighter 4 is out now, so it's recommendable to just skip to that. Soul Calibur 4 came out a while ago so you should be able to get it pretty cheap. BlazBlue's pretty good and has been out for a bit, but the next version of it is coming out in July (BlazBlue Continuum Shift). It's more of a 'Super Blazblue' than a 'BlazBlue2'. You can download Battle Fantasia from the PlayStation network if you reeaallly want to (it never came out on disc for the PS3), but that's more of a cute diversion than a 'good fighting game'.

I don't really like Tekken, but Tekken 6 is available too. I love me some Virtua Fighter 5, but the 360 version is a newer/better version.

For Wii, the list is pretty short. There's Tatsunoko vs Capcom and several King of Fighters compilations, but I'd probably stick with Tatsunoko. Smash Bros. could be fun, but judging from your list (and the fact that you didn't get it for the GameCube) it doesn't seem like you have a lot of Nintendo history love.

Necronopticous
05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
CHO_REN_SHA 68K (http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/my_works/download.html)

KentaRawr!
05-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is coming out this month, y'know.

Anyway, about fighting games, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core is also available on the Wii if you're interested.

Momiji
05-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Trauma Team (http://www.atlus.com/traumateam/) (Wii), out on May 18th in the US. The latest in the Trauma Center series that used to focus on just surgeries using the DS Stylus or the Wii Pointer, but this one introduces 5 other medicinal disciplines in addition to the standard surgery. The biggest addition is Forensics, which appears to be a large chunk of the game and is fashioned a little more after the Phoenix Wright style of adventure game.

I can safely recommend Trauma Center: Second Opinion and Trauma Center: New Blood as well.

CHO_REN_SHA 68K (http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/my_works/download.html)

So much truth in so few words. Get this game.

Jessweeee♪
05-08-2010, 07:29 PM
If you like the whole climbing around and jumping stuff in Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider then you will most definitely like Mirror's Edge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J01gcHiW_1w). It's all zooom zoom zoom climb fast run go wall jump hurry bullets will catch you! It is very beautiful, and I love it even though I hate playing in the first person! It can be beaten in one sitting if you don't get too stuck, so you may just want to rent it. Assassin's Creed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klu44RJNO6Q) is this plus assassinating people and it's pretty great. So definitely Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed.

If you're looking for JRPGs, may I recommend Persona 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSIiS69CPtk) :</>D?

EDIT:

...I need to go hijack my brother's Xbox now.

kotora
05-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Okami for Wii or PS2. littlebigplanet for PS3.

Madame Adequate
05-08-2010, 11:27 PM
If you like the whole climbing around and jumping stuff in Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider then you will most definitely like Mirror's Edge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J01gcHiW_1w). It's all zooom zoom zoom climb fast run go wall jump hurry bullets will catch you! It is very beautiful, and I love it even though I hate playing in the first person! It can be beaten in one sitting if you don't get too stuck, so you may just want to rent it. Assassin's Creed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klu44RJNO6Q) is this plus assassinating people and it's pretty great. So definitely Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed.

Very much true. I recommend Assassin's Creed 2, 'cause it's better. Mirror's Edge is a must-get.

Rostum
05-09-2010, 12:32 AM
The Wii remake of 'A Boy and his Blob'. Gorgeous game.

Bolivar
05-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Well you like Tomb Raider, i would definitely recommend the uncharted games on PS3.

I see you got Gran turismo 5 Prologue, unless you want to just wait for GT5 this year, I would recommend Need For Speed: Shift, seriously, try the demo on the Playstation Store

As far as RPG's go I can absolutely recommend Vaklyria Chronicles, but you might want to check White Knight Chronicles as well (both PS3, not related).

i can vouch for Assassin's Creed II as well, just finished it and it's one of the richest experiences I've found this generation, but you might want to play the first one because it does add to the story a little bit, plus its cheap as hell now.

Jessweeee♪
05-09-2010, 07:43 AM

Very much true. I recommend Assassin's Creed 2, 'cause it's better. Mirror's Edge is a must-get.

Yeah, Assassin's Creed II has a lot of minor improvements that perfects what they set up in ACI. Of course if you play the second one first you'll spoil the original story xD

Shiny
05-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Judging from your list, you don't have Legend of the Dragoon for PS1. You should get that.

Marshall Banana
05-09-2010, 10:07 AM
So, you have no Vanillaware games!

There's one for the Wii: Muramasa: The Demon Blade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSefPi8vpUc).
There are two for the PS2: Odin Sphere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmbEVHI5_MQ) and GrimGrimoire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-MDWv9gPeY).

GrimGrimoire might not be your cup of tea, but Odin Sphere and Muramasa are must-haves. Muramasa is the most beautiful game I've ever played.

Meat Puppet
05-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Red Dead Redemption

Breine
05-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations! It's much appreciated :)

You seem to like fighting games, so this post is dedicated to fighting games. They've had a bit of a resurgence in the last two years, with the biggest one being Street Fighter 4. Super Street Fighter 4 is out now, so it's recommendable to just skip to that. Soul Calibur 4 came out a while ago so you should be able to get it pretty cheap. BlazBlue's pretty good and has been out for a bit, but the next version of it is coming out in July (BlazBlue Continuum Shift). It's more of a 'Super Blazblue' than a 'BlazBlue2'. You can download Battle Fantasia from the PlayStation network if you reeaallly want to (it never came out on disc for the PS3), but that's more of a cute diversion than a 'good fighting game'.

I don't really like Tekken, but Tekken 6 is available too. I love me some Virtua Fighter 5, but the 360 version is a newer/better version.

For Wii, the list is pretty short. There's Tatsunoko vs Capcom and several King of Fighters compilations, but I'd probably stick with Tatsunoko. Smash Bros. could be fun, but judging from your list (and the fact that you didn't get it for the GameCube) it doesn't seem like you have a lot of Nintendo history love.

I'm not sure if Street Fighter 4 is something for me - it does look good, though.. so who knows, maybe if I stumble upon a cheap copy of it one day.

I'm definitely getting Soul Calibur 4 and Tekken 6 once they're cheaper. Soul Calibur 4 is already pretty cheap, but Tekken 6 still costs a buttload here.

Oh, I have lots of Nintendo history love! :) I played a lot of Smash Bros. on the N64 (I just never had a N64 of my own), and I've thought about buying Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii.. but it's still too expensive here (eventhough it's been out for ages).

2D fighting games aren't usually my thing, so I don't think BlazBlue is for me.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is coming out this month, y'know.

Yeah, I know. I think I'm gonna wait a bit before buying that, though.

Okami for Wii or PS2. littlebigplanet for PS3.

I've been interested in Okami for a while now, actually. It looks really good!

Mirror's Edge looks intruiging. As for Assassin's Creed - I thought about buying the first one, but just never got around to it. Now it's a game I can borrow from friends. The 2nd one in the series looks even better than the first one, though.

Well you like Tomb Raider, i would definitely recommend the uncharted games on PS3.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll buy the Uncharted games at one point or another :) They look like games I'd enjoy. Uncharted 2 especially looks great. Beautiful game.

So, you have no Vanillaware games!

There's one for the Wii: Muramasa: The Demon Blade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSefPi8vpUc).
There are two for the PS2: Odin Sphere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmbEVHI5_MQ) and GrimGrimoire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-MDWv9gPeY).

GrimGrimoire might not be your cup of tea, but Odin Sphere and Muramasa are must-haves. Muramasa is the most beautiful game I've ever played.

I actually got close to buying Odin Sphere last year, and Muramasa looks even better!

I've been thinking about buying the recently released God of War Collection lately. All of the games in the series have gotten rave reviews, and they look pretty damn badass. Any fans here to confirm?

kotora
05-09-2010, 09:11 PM
God of War is pretty badass indeed. too bad the gameplay is basically the same between the three games, and I kind of had enough after the second.

Breine
05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
God of War is pretty badass indeed. too bad the gameplay is basically the same between the three games, and I kind of had enough after the second.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to change much, as far as I can tell. But if it works, it works. I guess.

As for Okami. Should I get it for the Wii or PS2?

kotora
05-09-2010, 09:35 PM
If you like gimmicky controls go for the Wii version. However, I read they kind of botched that one artistically on some of the special effects (No bloom, paper filter barely noticeable, no ink bleeding effect and outlines don't squiggle).

Necronopticous
05-09-2010, 10:53 PM
God of War
Pass.

Bolivar
05-09-2010, 11:22 PM
I've been thinking about buying the recently released God of War Collection lately. All of the games in the series have gotten rave reviews, and they look pretty damn badass. Any fans here to confirm?

I would confirm. For the longest time I wrote it off as a frat-boy's video game, and when i started the first one, I just thought about how other PS2 action games like Legacy of Kain series were better.

But as you get into it, it's a very solid game and one I would recommend to anybody. What really separates it is the art style, the way it brings Greek mythology to life.

That said, GoWII is one of the best action games I've ever played, and if you're even remotely interested in action games, and you own a PS3, there's absolutely no excuse to not own GoWIII.

I say go for the Collection!

ljkkjlcm9
05-09-2010, 11:55 PM
I'll just put my favorite games for the two systems:
Demon's Souls for PS3
and now Monster Hunter Tri for Wii

Just my kind of game.

THE JACKEL

Levian
05-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Since you like Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider and God of War, you might like Assassin's Creed 2. I haven't played it myself, but it seems like that kind of game and people are raving about it.

Personally I recommend Dark Cloud 1 and Little Big Planet.

McLovin'
05-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Well if you like RPG's why not try Chrono Trigger/Cross.

Since you like Tomb Raider, a really good shooter series for PS2/PS1 is Syphon Filter: 1,2, 3 and the other installments.

Pheesh
05-10-2010, 01:07 AM
You have some old school Tony Hawk games on your list, so that definately means you have to get the original game. It is godly if you really like skating, the sequel is no where near as strong in it's single player mode, but if you like the online aspect then maybe think about picking up 2 aswell. But definitely try out skate, it's visuals also stand the test of time (pretty sure it runs in full HD)

Loony BoB
05-10-2010, 01:51 PM
I second/third/whatever Uncharted 2. I haven't played the first one yet but I adored the second and hope to play the first later on. Final Fantasy XIII is worth getting as it looks like you're an FF collector of sorts. It's not the greatest FF ever by any means, but I enjoyed the playthrough a lot.

Maybe you'd like Ico, too. You might enjoy it even more as it's set in the same world as Shadow of the Colossus (although the game is completely different from what I understand). I think the stories link slightly, too.

Breine
05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
You have some old school Tony Hawk games on your list, so that definately means you have to get the original game. It is godly if you really like skating, the sequel is no where near as strong in it's single player mode, but if you like the online aspect then maybe think about picking up 2 aswell. But definitely try out skate, it's visuals also stand the test of time (pretty sure it runs in full HD)

I kinda lost interest in the Tony Hawk games after Tony Hawk 3 for the PSone. However, I've played both Tony Hawk 1 (I borrowed it from friends) and Tony Hawk 2 to death, and I've enjoyed them immensely.

I'll just put my favorite games for the two systems:
Demon's Souls for PS3

THE JACKAL

Demon's Souls has really gotten some good reviews, and it does look kinda interesting.

I second/third/whatever Uncharted 2. I haven't played the first one yet but I adored the second and hope to play the first later on. Final Fantasy XIII is worth getting as it looks like you're an FF collector of sorts. It's not the greatest FF ever by any means, but I enjoyed the playthrough a lot.

Maybe you'd like Ico, too. You might enjoy it even more as it's set in the same world as Shadow of the Colossus (although the game is completely different from what I understand). I think the stories link slightly, too.

Yeah, I'm definitely getting Final Fantasy XIII. No question.

I actually already own a copy of Ico - is it not on the list? *checks*

...guess not xD well, anyway - I do own the game :)

Quindiana Jones
05-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Oh Breine, you fiend.

Definitely go get Okami. Like, now please. Go get it, play it, then play it again. Then we can sit around a campfire and talk about it at ridiculously fast excited speeds.

Definitely get Assassin's Creed. It's not as good as two, but it's well worth the price tag it has on it, and is a good story I think. It's a bit repetitive (okay, so a lot repetitive), but it's good fun and not a problem to complete at least once. Then get AC2. AC2 basically takes all the points that whilst playing AC1 you'll be all :eek: and love, then removes the bits you hate and replaces them with more stuff to love. It's an absolutely fantastic game.

Next: PS2. Why don't you own Resident Evil 4? Are you a crazy person? At least tell me you've played it, boy! I hate the RE games; all of them. Except 4. Well, I don't hate. But I played them and didn't like them enough to keep. 4 is practically an entirely different game, though, and is magnificent.

Breine
05-13-2010, 03:18 PM
I have more or less decided to get Okami now. I can get it cheap too, so that's good.

I'm not really sure when it comes to Assassin's Creed, though.

As for Resident Evil 4 - I've heard spectacular things about it, but I've just never really played the series that much. I don't know, I guess I just never thought about buying it. Can you forgive me, McFarty? :(

Quindiana Jones
05-14-2010, 01:06 AM
I'll forgive you if you buy it. Seriously, it doesn't even compare to the other games because it's completely different. In that it's actually good. :D

And I honestly don't get what's not to like about Assassin's Creed. :(