PDA

View Full Version : Emotional wrecks

SuperMillionaire
05-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Let's discuss the franchise's "emotional wreck" characters. An emotional wreck is someone who tends to cry when sad or sorry. I currently know of two emotional wrecks: Tidus (FFX) and Vanille (FFXIII). Are there any other characters that can also be classified the same way?

blackmage_nuke
05-08-2010, 09:13 PM
An emotional wreck is someone who tends to cry when sad or sorry

I thought that was humans :confused:

Hot Shot
05-08-2010, 09:25 PM
An emotional wreck is someone who tends to cry when sad or sorry

I thought that was humans :confused:
looooool :lol:

I really can't think of any 'emotional wrecks' in any FF game. The characters that do cry have a justified reason. Like your example of Tidus, he cries because of his string feelings towards his father.

VeloZer0
05-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Emotional wreck is somewhat of a subjective term. I usually apply it to someone who when I see their situation I think 'suck it up' instead of empathizing with them.

That said, every time I saw Tidus cry I wanted to punch him in the face. But making fun of Tidus for being a *insert effeminate derogatory slang here* is old news.

Most other characters in games I usually can understand when they are breaking down emotionally.

Tseng
05-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Vanille? She is a chick man! And a hot one at that..so I ilk cut her a break. Being suspended in crystal only to be thrust into a war torn world might justify a bit of unease. Hope on the other hand whined and cried for mommy's tit at the first notion of trouble. Loss of a loved ones is definitely cause for heartache, yet in his situation it was imperative for him to show more valor,...and he failed miserably. Look on the bright side kid! You have a gorgeous redhead hanging on your arm at every turn!

Shiny
05-09-2010, 07:39 AM
The situations that the characters are put in make their emotional behaviors extremely acceptable imo.

ANGRYWOLF
05-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I disagree with the guy who started this thread.

Let him walk a mile in the characters shoes.I bet he would be hiding in a closet somewhere if he had to go through what they were facing.:p

Mo-Nercy
05-10-2010, 12:38 AM
The first time I played FFVIII, I thought Irvine was an unjustified emotional wreck when he couldn't shoot Edea. But as it was revealed that he was the only one who remembered exactly who she was to the team, it made more sense.

SuperMillionaire
05-11-2010, 04:17 PM
We're all emotional wrecks from time-to-time, albeit some more than others. Personally, I always try to put myself in others' posistions, and it's not always good. I try to get others to show some empathy, but apparently and rather unfortunately, schadenfreude is the majority. Unlike many others, I actually have sympathy for emotional wrecks.

With that said, I would have actually liked the movie developers to have Cloud crying in Advent Children.

BG-57
05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
No characters are emotional wrecks all the time in the games, but some react to a crisis better than others.

In FFVI Celes goes through a lot of emotional turmoil that eventually leads her to leap off a cliff. Naturally she survives and even rants at a bird that has a familiar bandana.

In FFVIII Cid has a line about not crying anymore after a crisis has past. Frankly I identify more with his reaction to danger than the heroes.

In FFXII Reks lives up to his name after the events early on in the game. Again many people in the game lose more than he does, but they are able to cope better.

SuperMillionaire
05-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Most certainly indeed, BG-57.

Jiro
05-14-2010, 11:44 AM
If I were to classify any of the characters as 'emotional wrecks', I don't think I would've included either Tidus or Vanille (though I don't know Vanille's backstory well enough to comment).

Loony BoB
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Given that we can't see the characters in detail in the earlier games - possibly as far as FFVIII or FFIX - it's hard to really say whether or not the characters cry when they are sad or not. I imagine most FF characters do. I'm pretty sure every character in FFVII is probably capable of crying over one thing or another, even Barrett (hi, Marlene). So yeah. I wouldn't class them all as emotional wrecks based on that alone at all, though. I also wouldn't call Vanille an emotional wreck. I'd call her emotional, sure, but she seemed to hold herself together just as well as Lightning.

Emotions are normal. Lacking them is abnormal.

SuperMillionaire
05-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Lightning almost cried once in XIII, but Vanille cried multiple times.

Clo
05-15-2010, 02:09 AM
There's really a lack of emotion in most of the games, and then you have bubbly personalities, who, if you think about it, actually keep their emotions in check.

Like Selphie, for instance. She seems to be the archetype a lot of the bubbly characters follow, and she handled her tragedy damn good, considering.

Loony BoB
05-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Crying doesn't make you an emotional wreck if it's something worth crying over. I'd say they are all going through some pretty stressful times in most of the games. xD

SuperMillionaire
05-15-2010, 07:04 PM
There's really a lack of emotion in most of the games, and then you have bubbly personalities, who, if you think about it, actually keep their emotions in check.

Like Selphie, for instance. She seems to be the archetype a lot of the bubbly characters follow, and she handled her tragedy damn good, considering.

I have to agree with you on that one, Clo.

Jiro
05-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Lightning almost cried once in XIII, but Vanille cried multiple times.

Speaking from a perspective of someone who hasn't played a lot of XIII -- I'd argue Lightning was cold hearted moreso than Vanille being overemotional.

Persephone Stephanie
05-16-2010, 12:52 PM
In FFXII Reks lives up to his name after the events early on in the game. Again many people in the game lose more than he does, but they are able to cope better.

Do you mean Vaan? This considering, y'know... Reks lost his life in the opening scenes.

BG-57
05-16-2010, 01:01 PM
You may be thinking of Prince Rasler who gets mortally wounded in the opening battle.

Reks is the young soldier who is the first character the player can control and follows Basch on a mission to save King Raminas. Reks thinks he witnesses Basch making a heel turn and killing the King himself, but of course this was a ruse by Gabranth in disguise. Reks never knows this and instead stays in a room, staring into space, his soul broken. He does eventually die, leaving Vaan alone.

Persephone Stephanie
05-16-2010, 01:15 PM
You may be thinking of Prince Rasler who gets mortally wounded in the opening battle.

Reks is the young soldier who is the first character the player can control and follows Basch on a mission to save King Raminas. Reks thinks he witnesses Basch making a heel turn and killing the King himself, but of course this was a ruse by Gabranth in disguise. Reks never knows this and instead stays in a room, staring into space, his soul broken. He does eventually die, leaving Vaan alone.

No, I was confused by your comment, but I wasn't thinking of Rasler. It was this part of your statement that confused me:

In FFXII Reks lives up to his name after the events early on in the game.

As Reks dies/is rendered comatose in the introduction sequence I was unsure what you meant by him living up to his name after this. I get it now though (I think) - that he is broken after witnessing "Basch's" betrayal, never knowing the truth.

BG-57
05-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Ah, okay then. Yes, he's the one who copes the least well in FFXII, although there are other characters who arguably had lost more.