PDA

View Full Version : What final fantasy does XIII most closely resemble???

reinward
05-08-2010, 11:31 PM
well, im finally gonna get XIII tonight so no spoilers please.

anyways, i loved X and IX. XII was pathetic in my opinion. the others (VI, VII, and VIII) were all good but not on IX or X's level.

I dont care about linearity,. in fact, i actually prefer linearity to a massive open world.

the battle system has me worried though... i loved X's battle system. I don't think they should have ever changed it.

which FF does this one most closely resem,ble and do you think I'd like it based on what i told you?

Future Esthar
05-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Let me explain.
People agree that it is most similar to VII and X.
I see some VIII things also.
Concerning battle system it has something similar to the sphere grid.
It has the futurism of FFVII and VIII and some drama like in IX.
There are also two worlds like in IX and the concept of massive people dying to bring salvation.
It has an anticlimatic easy last boss like on X.It also shares with X the concept of being deceived by the government.
And the concept of making a sacrifice to the gods to bring peace to people.
Other persons can tell you more.
I think you will like it though.

Del Murder
05-08-2010, 11:58 PM
X by far. The leveling system is very similar to the sphere grid. The game is also very linear like X was. In fact, there is a large expansive area in the game that reminds me a lot of the Calm Lands of X.

Future Esthar
05-08-2010, 11:59 PM
But the intro is much like FFVII´s intro.
And I am sure you can find a lot of things like FF8 if you pay close attention.

Crop
05-09-2010, 12:04 AM
It has the futurism of FFVII

Wut? VII was a dark, polluted world of weapons and war. The majority of XIII is set in a happy, stable, far more futuristic world - only the story events change that. In fact, I'd say that VII was barely futuristic, if at all.

Future Esthar
05-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Yep.FFVII was more 20th century and FFXIII more 23th century.

More points for my FF8 similarities.

seiferalmasy2
05-09-2010, 09:19 AM
None of them, expect maybe 12 and 10. Like 12 it has a poor levelling system, it has a battle system that takes more control away from the player but it goes much further than 12.

In terms of level design, it is closer to 10....except it goes much further and is literally linear for much of ther game.

It is its own game. A bad one.

Madame Adequate
05-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I reckon it's closest to X, but they are still pretty far apart.

Slothy
05-09-2010, 12:55 PM
None of them, expect maybe 12 and 10. Like 12 it has a poor levelling system, it has a battle system that takes more control away from the player but it goes much further than 12.

XII never took control from the player in battle (the player had the option to automate some things but was always in control), and the leveling system is also nothing like XII. It's literally the sphere grid all over again.

Shin Gouken
05-09-2010, 01:00 PM
It seems that most people who loved XII will dislike XIII and people who disliked XII love XIII. That's because XII is as far different from XII as you can get, complete opposites in fact.

XII was open and encouraged exploration
XIII is a straight line

XII gave you the option to control the AI of your team
XIII does not give you the option to control the AI of your team

XII allowed you to customize your team and level them up freely in any direction
XIII says "this is how your characters are going to progress"

XII only told you what you needed to know about the characters
XIII explores the characters in extreme amount of depth

XII allows you to progress the story at your own pace
XIII progresses the story for you

XII included sidequests for things to do outside of plot
XIII offers nothing until post game

XII was a much larger game with more areas to explore that you could go back to
XIII has fewer places most of which are unavailable once you leave them

XII follows a plot much like VI where a power hungry emporer uses his empire to conquer other empires
XIII ...is a kind of butchered version of X

Comes down to what you prefer. I dislike linearity which is the main issue for me. XIII basically sticks you on a railroad which drives you through the game. No exploration, no customization, no sidequests or minigames. Just get from point A to point B and watch all the pretty cutscenes

VeloZer0
05-09-2010, 03:09 PM
And people who don't like either are haters in general? :D

This is a tough one on me.
Story wise I found it closest to FFXII, in the sense that the plot made me not care if the party succeeded in their adventure or not. It seemed it would pan out roughly the same or better either way.

Obviously level design is closest to FFX, but it still didn't really feel all that much similar. It felt more like a generic SRPG, with defined chapters and cut scenes before and after events. In that way it didn't really fell like any others.

Cloudane
05-10-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't know what it's similar to really.

I wouldn't say VII - the opening did scream VII all the way through, but the similarity ends after that.

Design-wise, probably X and it also shares the fun of being the first on the current console generation. It also has the whole thing of a near-mythical world destroyed thousands of years ago.

Story-wise I'd say VIII but our resident VIII obsessive shouldn't get too excited as I'm referring to how weak and nonsensical they both are, lending them well to theories mind you ;)

Characters, I don't know.. seems a bit of an ensemble cast like VI and XII with a lead character in name only, but they're different again and far more interesting than XII's.

If I had to pick one, perhaps X, but certainly not as good.

Loony BoB
05-14-2010, 11:53 AM
X for everything but characters and variety of sidequests. For that end of things, I would say it's fairly unique, in a good way for characters and in a bad way for variety of sidequests.

Wolf Kanno
05-14-2010, 07:41 PM
FFX

black orb
05-14-2010, 07:55 PM
>>> I have not played this game yet but is probably close to FFX because all you do is keep runing in a straight line and kill monsters.
Despite this, FFX is still one of my favs because the story is awesome..

Since everything else is messed up in FF13, I think the only selling point of the game is the story, I hope it doesnt dissapoint me..:luca:

Roogle
05-14-2010, 08:27 PM
I feel that this game more closely resembles Final Fantasy X out of all of the other Final Fantasy games.

DarkOrigins
05-15-2010, 03:59 PM
The story is FFXII's one, adapted a little. So is the "Innovative Paradigm Shift!". The levelling is FFX Sphere Grid style, with less choices. The L'Cie hunts are a rip of FFXII's hunt system and so is the openworld monster system. So I'm gonna say FFXII.

Future Esthar
05-16-2010, 06:40 PM
FFXIII in my opinion explain most of the things that lies hidden on the storyline of FFVIII.
And have a lot of similarities with it.

But I don´t wanna to discuss it here.