PDA

View Full Version : "Moonlight Sonata" appearing in games.

MJN SEIFER
05-09-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't many favorite classical music pieces I'll admit, but one of always loved since I first heard it is one called "Moonlight Sonata". I notice it tends to be used in video games - I have three examples.

1. It plays in a level of "Earthworm Jim 2" as background music.
2. You need to play it on a piano for someting to happen (I forget what) in "Resident Evil".
3. A ghost hamster plays it (and later teaches you how to) during "Ham-Ham Heartbreak" (it is however mistranslated slightly as "Moonlight").

Are there anymore examples?

Also why do they use this song so much - do they just like it like me, or is there another reason?

Levian
05-09-2010, 06:49 PM
It's one of my favorites too :D I remember I first heard it in a very dark and creepy cartoon when I was younger, so when I heard it again in Resident Evil some years later I was quite happy to hear it again.

Resident Evil 5 - Desperate Escape also has Jill playing it on the piano to open up a hidden room.

There's also a hidden object game called Moonlight Sonata. It's quite fun.

LunarWeaver
05-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I enjoyed Rebecca failing to play Moonlight Sonata the first time she tried. Jill playing it in the Resident Evil 5 DCL was fanservice to my shivering happy spine. I approve! I have the Resident Evil version on my YouTube favorites in my ongoing attempt to be a loser.

Mo-Nercy
05-11-2010, 06:57 AM
A remix of it is available as a track in Pump It Up: Zero (it's like Korean DDR).

Pump It Up - Moonlight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7i-bZbns20)

Aerith's Knight
05-11-2010, 07:05 AM
2. You need to play it on a piano for someting to happen (I forget what) in "Resident Evil".

This must be a very simplified version because some parts of it are a bitch to play.

Madame Adequate
05-11-2010, 12:14 PM

This must be a very simplified version because some parts of it are a bitch to play.

Not the player, the character :p

ReloadPsi
05-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I love the Moonlight Sonata. It's one of my better childhood memories.

VexNet
05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
I swear the first time I ever heard "Moonlight Sonata" was in Earthworm Jim 2 and I fell in love with it <3

although... now whenever I hear it.. I think of a salamander floating through some intestines... =D

blackmage_nuke
05-16-2010, 11:55 PM
A remix of it is available as a track in Pump It Up: Zero (it's like Korean DDR).

Pump It Up - Moonlight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7i-bZbns20)

I wish there were still pump machines in my area :(

P4ine
05-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Japanese people totally are into German/European/Classical/Romantical culture and art, including Beethoven's music which again implies the Moonlight Sonata.
When it's played in either a movie, game or anime (for example it's played in Kaitou Jeanne, both the first and third movement.. on an organ, but well), either love or deep/strong emotions are involved.. But also somewhat of dreaming, longing.

As for your listed games I can't really tell if my reason answers your question as I've never played them.

But there are many other games which feature this kind of music, for example: Clock Tower 3 (PS2) features Chopin's 'Fantaisie Impromptu', and so does -besides many other Chopin songs- Eternal Sonata (PS3/360).