PDA

View Full Version : Big Bang Theory

Rye
05-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Hux and I just recently got into this show. I've seen it a few times and always liked it, but never really sat down and torrented a few episodes it until now.

It is so funny, I swear it's like watching Huxley on screen sometimes, the things they say. I like it because you can tell it's complete dorks writing this, and not people just taking the piss out of them without a clue.

I gotta give love to those "shows about nothing" sort of shows, where it's just apartment buddies doing stupid stuff. This is like dorky Seinfeld.

Any fans? How are the later seasons?

Flying Mullet
05-10-2010, 01:13 AM
My wife and I <i>love</i> this show and make sure to catch it every week. :D

Sheldon's social awkwardness and bluntness are what make it for us. Any episodes pairing Sheldon and Penny are the best.

Tavrobel
05-10-2010, 01:18 AM
I think everyone can find a way to relate to one of the characters on this show. Hell, you even have Leslie Winkle, who is like all of male characters in one female character, except, you know, a girl.

The second and third season are just as hilarious as the first.

Also, spherical chickens in a vacuum.

kotora
05-10-2010, 01:32 AM
I think it's pretty damn funny. Except Leonard, I can't stand that annoying buttmonkey.

Mo-Nercy
05-10-2010, 01:38 AM
I LOVE this show. My favourite episodes are the the ones with Leonard's mother. Also, check out Jim Parsons (Sheldon) on Letterman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEtZzp9CGr8). He's pretty much exactly the same except the his quirks are to do with acting rather than theoretical physics. xD

Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock!

edit: The theme song by The Barenaked Ladies is awesome too.

Imperfectionist
05-10-2010, 01:55 AM
My friends all really hate this and I don't understand why :( They think it's painfully unfunny.

I think it's great, not hilariously funny but it's good happy, light-hearted viewing :)

kotora
05-10-2010, 02:38 AM
My friends all really hate this and I don't understand why :( They think it's painfully unfunny.

They're obviously not geeky enough.

I'm glad that the Leonard-Penny thing is now over, or at least I hope it is. Show needs less romancy crap and more lol. The episode with the time machine cracks me up every time I watch it.

Mo-Nercy
05-10-2010, 02:52 AM

I know people who are geeks but don't like the show because they think the characters are unrealistically nerdy. The characters are physicists, gamers, comic book collectors and sci-fi fans all the while lacking in social skills. They find it insulting because it creates the impression that all nerds are like this.

In my opinion, the show's funny because the characters are so extremely nerdy. It's a sitcom after all. What do they expect?

I'm also glad that the Leonard-Penny thing is over. It was great when they got together because it was epic win for Leonard, but when it became the focal point of the series, it became pretty bland. The show should be about nerd-based lol.

kotora
05-10-2010, 03:23 AM

I know people who are geeks but don't like the show because they think the characters are unrealistically nerdy. The characters are physicists, gamers, comic book collectors and sci-fi fans all the while lacking in social skills. They find it insulting because it creates the impression that all nerds are like this.

Well what do they expect. 'Normal' people don't collect comic books or get into details about Star Trek (or Final Fantasy for that matter). It's only natural the geeks are portrayed as socially retarded, because let's face it, a :bou::bou::bou::bou:load of geeks in real life are like that. Besides, the show does have some 'cool' nerds, like the guy who both Leonard and Penny fell in love with (the one with the motorbike).

Faris
05-10-2010, 03:32 AM
Jeffrey and I adore this show, but we don't follow it on a week-by-week basis. Sheldon is awesome <3

"Soft kitty, warm kitty. Little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty. Pur, pur, pur."

Vermachtnis
05-10-2010, 05:51 AM
I love it. I agree with everyone else, Sheldon makes the show. That scene in the ball pit was one of the funniest things I've ever scene in sitcom.

NorthernChaosGod
05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I fucking love this show. Sheldon and Howard are the best characters. :cool:

Hot Shot
05-10-2010, 10:58 AM
I'll admit that I didn't like it at first because I thought it was kinda stupid, but when I gave it the time of day and actually sat down and watched it, I realised that its freakin' funny! I generally don't like american sitcoms, but this one is definately one of the few that I love and watch.

Madame Adequate
05-11-2010, 12:27 PM
I love love LOVE Sheldon's mom. She is fantastic.

Captain Maxx Power
05-11-2010, 01:53 PM
I love this show more than breathing.

NorthernChaosGod
05-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Lol, foursome. That would have been funny.

kotora
05-11-2010, 06:44 PM
At least they didn't cockblock Raj, which is what most sitcom writers would've done in such a situation.

Del Murder
05-11-2010, 07:07 PM
This show is great, Miriel and I have seen every episode. Sheldon is one of the best TV characters ever created. His interactions with Penny are just priceless. All the characters are really well done.

This show is from the same creator of Two and a Half Men, another very funny and successful show. That guy sure knows his stuff.

NorthernChaosGod
05-11-2010, 07:10 PM
At least they didn't cockblock Raj, which is what most sitcom writers would've done in such a situation.

Seriously. I'm glad Raj is finally getting some. :cool:

Mo-Nercy
05-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Just watched the latest episode, the Spaghetti Catalyst. Pretty funny. Raj is starting a come across as a real loser now though. He needs to get laid. =]

NorthernChaosGod
05-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Lol, you're behind an episode.

Mo-Nercy
05-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Lol, you're behind an episode.
I swear, I checked last night and 21 wasn't up yet. ><
I've got it now though. I'll watch it later. =]

I'm still further ahead than the Aussie screenings of it. It's up to 18, I think, because I don't think I've seen the last Will Wheaton episode on our televisions yet.

NorthernChaosGod
05-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Lol, I downloaded it last night at like 11. It was up even earlier.

You should like what happens with Raj. :cool:

Aerith's Knight
05-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Lol, I downloaded it last night at like 11. It was up even earlier.

You should like what happens with Raj. :cool:

I downloaded it yesterday at 11AM.

NorthernChaosGod
05-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Wtf do you live? I got it like a couple hours after it aired.

VexNet
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
I've only just noticed some adverts for this show on TV lately which have looked pretty good, and I know somebody on this forum has a screencap of one of the characters wearing a Green Lantern shirt (which pretty much seals the deal for me!) Time to give it a try!

Aerith's Knight
05-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Wtf do you live? I got it like a couple hours after it aired.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8505/50062344.png (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/50062344.png/)

It airs on monday.

And I live in the Netherlands, GMT+1

Bunny
05-13-2010, 12:11 AM
I saw an episode of this when I was on a plane somewhere. It sounded pretty meh. But then I downloaded the first season and finished it in about a day and a half. I just started season two and it is pretty good so far.

Raj's character is pretty lame.

kotora
05-13-2010, 12:22 AM
I thought the first episode was pretty lame. Then I started watching it some more and by like the 3rd or 4th episode it actually got funny.

Aerith's Knight
05-13-2010, 12:39 AM
The first episode was filled with inaccuracies and simple physics.

It got better after a while.

Miriel
05-13-2010, 12:44 AM
I saw an episode of this when I was on a plane somewhere. It sounded pretty meh. But then I downloaded the first season and finished it in about a day and a half. I just started season two and it is pretty good so far.

Raj's character is pretty lame.

Hey, I did the same thing. I heard lots about it, so I tuned in for one episode. Thought it was lame, and gave up on it. Then awhile later I decided to give it a shot from the beginning, and I fell in love!

It's not the best show ever, but it's great 22 minutes of easy breezy entertainment.

And I like Raj! I hope they give him a love interest soon.

I thought Penny/Leonard was weird and I'm glad that's over. Leonard is probably my least favorite character.

Aerith's Knight
05-13-2010, 01:04 AM

I thought he was Howard's wife? :D

That's how he acts, anyway.

Bunny
05-13-2010, 02:28 AM

I mostly have a problem with the single-shaded nature of his character. His shtick was funny the first time, but the whole not being able to talk to girls throughout a significant amount of the show gets very boring after awhile. The whole drunk thing not-withstanding. I just want them to flesh out the character a bit more.

Howard is a pretty annoying character too but for the same reason as Raj.

Rye
05-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Am I the only person who loves Leonard?! :(

kotora
05-13-2010, 02:58 AM

That's right, nobody else likes that little whiny toad.

Matthew
05-13-2010, 04:37 AM
I like this show, but for some reason it's become something I only watch randomly. It's still pretty accessible, though.

Del Murder
05-13-2010, 05:44 AM
Probably.

NorthernChaosGod
05-13-2010, 06:07 AM

I like Leonard!

"Sleep night! I mean... obviously I meant to say good night, I started to say sleep tight and then I changed my mind in the middle... I swear to God I'm smart!"

Freya
05-15-2010, 01:46 AM
I like raj! Or when he tells Howard something to say.

I love this show. I think the Weaton episodes have entertained me a lot with the new season. I have the first 2 seasons on dvd. :p I love it ^_^

Old Manus
05-15-2010, 03:18 AM
A friend of mine used to rave about this all the time, I watched it a few times and it was about as funny as the holocaust. Jesus christ, I can't fathom how anyone can find any of the (constant) ridiculous disney channel-esque 'jokes' funny, especially with the laughter track every few seconds.

You've gone down in my rankings, EoFF.

Madame Adequate
05-15-2010, 12:17 PM
The first episode was filled with inaccuracies and simple physics.

It got better after a while.

They said that there were medpacks in Halo 3. Medpacks. In Halo Three. This was simply the insertion of a popularly-known but now largely defunct gaming buzzword for the purposes of appealing to the masses of charlatans who think things haven't progressed beyond DooM. :colbert:

@ Manus: The laugh track on this one is particularly bad, but the show itself is rather good. I'm sorry you don't find the Holocaust as funny as I do! :shobon:

Zeldy
05-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I LOVE THIS SHOWWWW.

We have it set to pre-record every single episode. :heart:

Rye
05-15-2010, 02:53 PM
I kind of like laugh tracks. They remind me of watching Fresh Prince, Full House and Family Matters and that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Tavrobel
05-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Medpacks.

I've got the Sword of Azeroth!

NorthernChaosGod
05-16-2010, 06:14 AM
When are video games every portrayed accurately though?

You can't name The Wizard, it was a 90 minute Nintendo commercial.

Rye
05-16-2010, 02:27 PM
This show often makes me hungry. They're always eating yummy things. :(

Bunny
05-18-2010, 10:20 AM
I am almost caught up with the most recent episode. I must say that Sheldon would make for one hell of an alcoholic.

Miriel
05-18-2010, 08:48 PM
This show often makes me hungry. They're always eating yummy things. :(
I know! They're constantly eating!

Mo-Nercy
05-19-2010, 12:13 AM
I am almost caught up with the most recent episode. I must say that Sheldon would make for one hell of an alcoholic.
"Heeeere's URANUS!"

Very lame and immature for a gag in a sitcom. But funny when it comes out of a drunk Sheldon.

"Just the asians!"

Aerith's Knight
05-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Did anyone see the last episode?

On the board in the background? Those Chemistry formula's?

Those could've been done by highschoolers. It was pathetic. A theoretical physicists wouldn't be caught dead with that on his board.

NorthernChaosGod
05-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Damn, dude. You actually paid attention to the formulas?

Madame Adequate
05-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Damn, dude. You actually paid attention to the formulas?

Well he is an archetypal elitist physicist so I imagine he pays close attention when another discipline threatents to be science. :)

What must he do at math parties

Aerith's Knight
05-20-2010, 12:16 AM
It has nothing to do with other disciplines, just the difficulty level of them. You wouldn't put 3 + 3 = 6 on your board at home, would you?

And Math doesn't threaten Physics. I see math as a language, and as thus it was created. You know what they say, while the mathematics of an alien language may be completely different than ours, the physical way the universe works remains the same.

Tavrobel
05-20-2010, 02:41 AM
What must he do at math parties

He eats pi.

AK, do you have a screenshot of the formula?

Mo-Nercy
05-20-2010, 05:04 PM
I managed to take a few screens as I was watching the episode. I'm no physicist (or scientist for that matter) so I have no idea what these mean, but hopefully, at least one of them refers to what AK was talking about.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/monercy/sheldon1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/monercy/leonard2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/monercy/bbt4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/monercy/bbt3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/monercy/bbt2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/monercy/bbt1.jpg

Del Murder
05-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Any reason why Leonard, Raj, and Howard were dressed up like it was the 80s in the flashback? 7 years ago was only 2003...

Mo-Nercy
05-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Howard's dress sense hasn't particularly changed much in those 7 years anyway. As for Leonard and Raj.. that is just weird. Sheldon was more fashion conscious than them. xD

NorthernChaosGod
05-20-2010, 06:13 PM
I wonder about that, too. But I like how Sheldon looked exactly the same.

Tavrobel
05-20-2010, 06:37 PM
It's the hair.

EDIT: AK's right, too. Any high school student could do those chemistry equations.

Aerith's Knight
05-20-2010, 07:34 PM
EDIT: AK's right, too. Any high school student could do those chemistry equations.

Thank you.

Miriel
05-20-2010, 09:19 PM
That's so weird. They could easily have gotten some actual people from CalTech (the university Sheldon/Leonard/etc all work) to come in and write up some stuff for them to have in the background. But television people are just so lazy sometimes.

I've seen shows where they'll have the "korean" couple speaking chinese and expect you not to notice. How hard would it have been to get some actual Korean dialogue? Damn. There was an episode of Desperate Housewives recently with some italian dialogue and according to Italian speakers, the phrase they used made no sense. So lazy!

Tavrobel
05-20-2010, 09:56 PM
I thought that they did, especially in the first season. Somewhere in the commentary (or the special features), they mentioned that they consulted actual physicists to get correct and incorrect equations (such as the case for Leslie correcting Sheldon's equation that one time.

That being said, those equations are technically correct. They're just simple. I'm not sure what they needed those equations for within the context of the episode. Whatever their researched involved at the time, maybe they needed to put those up in order to remind them of what reactions happens and when. I see that they have a tub of what is listed as "Rocket Fuel," but ammonia (NH<sub>3</sub>) being split into nitrogen and hydrogen is not rocket fuel, and furthermore, if it were rocket fuel, it would still have the NFPA diamond on it. We aren't in the dark ages.

Rye
05-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Penny's pink laptop is the same as my laptop, Honeybee, except mine is yellow, obvs. Cute!

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 03:15 AM
I suppose that you guys are as bamboozled by this sort of thing as I am by the medpack/Halo 3 debacle. I sympathize, because the show rests on being a fairly affectionate portrayal of the whole thing and I don't get why sometimes the really obvious research stuff isn't done when they are digging up all this obscure stuff for Sheldon to spout.

Del Murder
05-23-2010, 03:51 AM
It really doesn't bother me, but I guess it would bother me if I was a chemist or played Halo 3.

Rye
05-23-2010, 03:56 AM
Oh my god, I just noticed, EVERYONE has a Dell laptop! They must be paid by Dell, because real nerds have PC towers. That they built themselves! Oh my god!

Cuchulainn
05-23-2010, 04:47 AM
It's a comedy. Stop picking it apart and just fucking laugh or turn it off. Jesus...have a day off you nerds.

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 12:38 PM
It's a comedy. Stop picking it apart and just smurfing laugh or turn it off. Jesus...have a day off you nerds.

When your target audience is people who are nitpicks by their very nature, you better do your research :colbert:

Cuchulainn
05-23-2010, 07:36 PM
It's a comedy. Stop picking it apart and just smurfing laugh or turn it off. Jesus...have a day off you nerds.

When your target audience is people who are nitpicks by their very nature, you better do your research :colbert:

Nerds are not their target audience. It spends its time making them look pathetic. Their target audience are people who laugh at pathetic nerds.

Tavrobel
05-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Nerds are not their target audience. It spends its time making them look pathetic. Their target audience are people who laugh at pathetic nerds.

I don't know if you actually watch this show, because it's clear that you don't, I would have to say that these are pretty damn successful nerds. If someone is laughing at them, then chances are, they won't be watching this show for long.

At the very least, these are charming and endearing nerds, and when it comes to taking pleasure in noticing the little things, there's no days off. Do you take a day off from being male?

Madame Adequate
05-24-2010, 01:25 PM

We are actually able to laugh at ourselves quite readily tyvm :greenie:

Mirage
05-24-2010, 01:36 PM
If it just wasn't for the laugh track, I might have watched it

Freya
05-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Tonight is the season finale!

Del Murder
05-24-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't think hardcore nerds who nitpick everything are the core audience of the show. You can't ever please those types, and they don't buy commercial products anyway. :p I think it's more for casual nerds and people who are sympethetic to casual nerds. For example, my brothers are more hardcore nerd than I am and they don't watch it, but my parents are not nerdy at all and they love it, and they definitely don't care which chemistry formulas are on the board.

This show gets the nerdy thing done more accurately than most mainstream shows do, and that's pretty cool. But it's hard to be perfect, especially in this realm.

Old Manus
05-24-2010, 07:02 PM

Big Bang Theory

laugh

Okay I'll stop trolling you lot now

Mirage
05-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Oh my god, I just noticed, EVERYONE has a Dell laptop! They must be paid by Dell, because real nerds have PC towers. That they built themselves! Oh my god!

Are you kidding? This was one of the first things i noticed!

Rye
05-25-2010, 03:23 AM
Rock Paper Scissors Lizards Spock!

VexNet
05-25-2010, 06:10 PM
really enjoying this series, nearing end of season one,
started off pretty rocky since I'm not really a chuck lorre fan, but after they had more contributers it's been really good and funny =]

I'm especially looking forward to the episodes with Wil Wheaton!

Rye
05-26-2010, 07:44 PM
The scenes with Howard's mom sometimes make me feel like I'm peering at a possible future self old lady self.

PeneloRatsbane
05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
i hate the stupid laughter track, its so freaking annoying and in one episode it bothered me so much i turned it of. This shows okay, good for a casual watch but there are times when it creeps me out, Like when Sheldon acts like a child, or Howard in the bath with that chick

Christmas
03-16-2022, 12:04 PM
And it ended with a bang. Young Sheldon still lives on although I dun foresee it going on for more seasons seeing the kids are all grown up. :(

BTW, I like Raj. I like exotic character. :bigsmile: