PDA

View Full Version : What are your hopes and expectations for Final Fantasy XV?

Digital Phoenix
05-10-2010, 05:50 AM
I'm at the end of chapter 11 for Final Fantasy XIII, and I have to say I am very underwhelmed overall. I thought XII and III DS sucked, but X was one of the best games I have ever played. It's at least my favorite game for the PS2. XIII, so far, is a pretty good game, but I was obviously hoping for more than that.

I know talking about XV is a bit premature, given that XIV hasn't even come out yet, but come on, XIV is an MMORPG. I have no expectations for it whatsoever, as I will not be playing it.

I never had a problem with linearity. Like in Uncharted 2, I was completely fine with it. The difference is that the environments still felt pretty open. Just some little corridor makes the experience feel less involving and cramped.

Add more variety in. The side-quests just have you fighting monsters in XIII, like you were doing before! There's absolutely nothing else to them. I'm not going to stick around after the game to want to play them.

No melo-dramatic crap. The other ones had this, too. I understand that if I were in the same situation as some of these characters, I'd be a bit sad, too, but some of these people are over-the-top ridiculous. Work on the dialogue and have a story that doesn't involve someone not existing.

Also, hard should not equal excessive hours of grinding. Final Fantasy III DS was a "hard" game because all the bosses were ridiculously over-powered. That just made me fight the boring as hell battles some more. The entire game was horrible to begin with, given that you did nothing more than press the "Attack" button and watch some crappy animation, but I was forced to do more of it so I wouldn't get my ass repeatedly owned. And if I did, I lose an hour or two worth of time because the save-points are all outside the dungeon!

No easy battles either. In every JRPG, there are a lot of instances where I don't even have to switch my Paradigms because the fight is so insanely easy. Why is that fun? The attack animations wear thin when you realize you've been watching them the entire game.

I'll complain some more later. But XV better sweep up the crap XIII left behind. They spent a damn longer time making a game that doesn't seem to have much imagination to it.

ShinGundam
05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
At this point, I believe the next FF might be influenced by FF versus XIII, we might see more Action based FF, world map, airships, Dynamic
world and more interactivity. Also, there is potential for FF games with
online multiplayer, Devs were targeting multiplayer gameplay since FFX, the game was initially going to feature online elements. however, the features were dropped during production and there new games like KH BBS has community features and 4 multiplayer modes. expect more multiplayer content for Agito XIII.

ReloadPsi
05-10-2010, 02:42 PM
My hopes are that it won't be a long corridor with a horrible English dub. My expectations are that it will.

Mercen-X
05-10-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm at the end of chapter 11 for Final Fantasy XIII. [Haven't played.] I thought XII and III DS sucked [I don't think XII sucks; haven't played III, but X was one of the best games I have ever played [it was a good game].
I know talking about XV is a bit premature [Indeed], but come on, XIV is an MMORPG. I have no expectations for it whatsoever, as I will not be playing it [agreed].

Just some little corridor makes the experience feel less involving and cramped.[agreed]

Add more variety. The side-quests just have you fighting monsters in XIII, like you were doing before! There's absolutely nothing else to them. I'm not going to stick around after the game to want to play them.[wow :cry:]

No melo-dramatic crap. In a melodrama the characterizations will accordingly be somewhat more one-dimensional: heroes will be unambiguously good and their entrance will be heralded by heroic-sounding trumpets and martial music; villains will be unambiguously bad, and their entrance will be greeted with dark-sounding, ominous chords.
[I see what you mean and agree] I understand that if I were in the same situation as some of these characters, I'd be a bit sad, too, but some of these people are over-the-top ridiculous. Work on the dialogue and have a story that doesn't involve someone not existing.

Also, hard should not equal excessive hours of grinding [agreed]. Final Fantasy III DS was a "hard" game because all the bosses were ridiculously over-powered. That just made me fight the boring as hell battles some more. The entire game was horrible to begin with, given that you did nothing more than press the "Attack" button and watch some crappy animation, but I was forced to do more of it so I wouldn't get my ass repeatedly owned. And if I did, I lose an hour or two worth of time because the save-points are all outside the dungeon! [you have succeeded in insuring that I will never play this. I'll just stick with V on my Anthology.

No easy battles either. In every JRPG, there are a lot of instances where I don't even have to switch my Paradigms because the fight is so insanely easy. Why is that fun? The attack animations wear thin when you realize you've been watching them the entire game.[personally, I've never paid much attention to this. If I find myself getting even a milimeter near boredom, I fiddle around with my stats & eq.]

black orb
05-11-2010, 01:29 AM
>>> The only thing I can hope from Squarenix is that it wont be an online game. At this point asking them to make good FF games is asking too much.:luca:

Laddy
05-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Be innovative for reasons of progress, not for innovation's sake. Something like FFIX in terms of style. It's just what we need!

Loony BoB
05-14-2010, 12:20 PM
My hope is for the best game ever made. I don't expect that.

I expect a JRPG with at least five characters that take on a great evil that threatens the world or at least a portion of one. Everything else? No idea. No idea at all.

But I expect melodrama. If you don't want melodrama then why the hell would you be playing Final Fantasy. You should look for a new gaming series.

Clo
05-14-2010, 05:23 PM
I would like a little less linearity. Anyone else?

Crossblades
05-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Here's what I'm hoping to expect in FF XV:

* Return to the medieval setting like the original FFs.

* Characters with set job classes.

* A total of at least 8-10 playable characters.

* Able to have 4-5 playable characters in one party.

* Return of the overworld map(This one is real longshot, but hey, a guy can dream, right :p )

* More exploration

* Turn based battle system like in the original FFs or real time battle system similar to FFXII(I can live with either one. I'm not too picky on this aspect)

* A female Dragoon in classic Dragoon armor(similar to Kain's armor, not Freya's)

Cyric
05-31-2010, 08:02 AM
I would like a little less linearity. Anyone else?

How about side quests that have relevance to the story?

I want them to be brutally critical with the story. Make every effort possible to make it the best story that they have ever told. Maybe a parallel reality concept like in Chrono Cross?

For a bit more clarity on what I mean would be sort of like a "play as a Light Warrior" and the alternate world is "play as a Dark Warrior", like the concept behind the story of FF3. Needing the co-operation of the two sides to complete the game, but being able to mix the two parties for a mixture of dark and light warriors near the end of the game.

Keep the non-linear play that they used in FFX-2, but add bits and pieces (depth) to the story with each side quest to make it worth while to achieve 100% completion. Although, still make it possible to complete the game with the "minimums", if you will, and still have the story make sense.

VeloZer0
05-31-2010, 02:10 PM
For a bit more clarity on what I mean would be sort of like a "play as a Light Warrior" and the alternate world is "play as a Dark Warrior", like the concept behind the story of FF3. Needing the co-operation of the two sides to complete the game, but being able to mix the two parties for a mixture of dark and light warriors near the end of the game.
That sounds really cool.

Although, still make it possible to complete the game with the "minimums", if you will, and still have the story make sense.
Lets try to keep the requests reasonable :lol:

Rocket Edge
06-01-2010, 11:12 PM
For it to be everything FFXIII isn't.

YTDN
06-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Keep the non-linear play that they used in FFX-2, but add bits and pieces (depth) to the story with each side quest to make it worth while to achieve 100% completion. Although, still make it possible to complete the game with the "minimums", if you will, and still have the story make sense.

I'd like them to have a set-up similar to that of FFX-2. The game started with your characters as a roving set of sphere-hunters/do-gooders, so it didn't feel weird to be running around the world randomly helping people and exploring. FFXII tried open-worldness, but since you were supposedly on a quest to save a country it felt strange to be running around.

Have very few playable characters- 3 or 4 max. Have the last slot be rotating, similar to FFII but maybe with a 'guest' system similar to FFXII. Either that or have all characters able to be on the screen at the same time. Have a fixed 'Job' system- either a changeable one like in V/X-2 or a unique, character based one like FFIX.

Plot-wise... I'd prefer a medieval world, since I feel that FF has been moving away from 'Fantasy' for a while. Have interesting character interactions, which would work well with an open-world game, and for god's sake have it be more light-hearted. FF games have been far too serious recently, to their detriment. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun!

Just my two cents. I know none of this is going to happen, but I can dream.

Slothy
06-02-2010, 11:49 AM
My only hope for XV is that Hiroyuki Itō directs it. I probably won't waste my money if anyone else is behind it.

Clo
06-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Now if only people from Square Enix read this thread. Ha.

Mirage
06-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Expectations? None, really.
Hopes? That it'll have a good battle system.

Breine
06-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Geez, I haven't even played XIII yet. But, I totally wouldn't mind something in the style of e.g. IX - i.e. something vibrant, charming and heartwarming.

Elpizo
06-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Also, hard should not equal excessive hours of grinding [agreed]. Final Fantasy III DS was a "hard" game because all the bosses were ridiculously over-powered. That just made me fight the boring as hell battles some more. The entire game was horrible to begin with, given that you did nothing more than press the "Attack" button and watch some crappy animation, but I was forced to do more of it so I wouldn't get my ass repeatedly owned. And if I did, I lose an hour or two worth of time because the save-points are all outside the dungeon! [you have succeeded in insuring that I will never play this. I'll just stick with V on my Anthology.

Go play III now, it's the best FF ever. The TC doesn't know what he's talking about. If he only did attack, of course he's going to get owned. Apparently he didn't realise this, and shouldn't be playing a great game like III. And if you don't like the DS, then go play the NES ROM, it's still a great game. And the lack of save-points is really only a bit of a problem at the last dungeon. All other dungeons are easily done if you're but prepared. Preparation is the key. And not tapping attack.

Hours of grinding is also greatly exagerated. While I don't deny you need to gain some levels to beat the NES difficulty of the remake for each dungeon, the grind is often painless and quick, with again only the final dungeon really requiring some dedication to make it through. But if you're prepared, you can easily do it. I did the final dungeon in one go and had no problems. But I was prepared and had the right jobs and did more than just press attack, of course. The only boss that owned me was Salamander, and even then, stealing some more artic winds brought him down. Not grinding to tap attack. :roll2

And why play anthology when V Advance is so much better on every level? It's so easy to find emulators these days. But I didn't say anything. :D