PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quarter

ANGRYWOLF
05-12-2010, 02:25 AM
It's an older Breath of Fire game, probably the last one made.
I found an interesting artcile written back in April about it.

Tales From the Bargain Bin: Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter | Gamer Limit (http://gamerlimit.com/2010/04/tales-from-the-bargain-bin-breath-of-fire-dragon-quarter/)

It's not the best rpg ever made despite what the writer claimed.
It's very frustrating as you can easily be swarmed and your characters killed.
Apparently you can only open up certain hidden areas by restarting the game.

shrugs.

I never managed to finish it before so I have started over to see if I can complete it and then replay it to get to a good ending.

Anyone else other there ever play it ?

NeoCracker
05-12-2010, 04:08 AM
This 'game', if one could call this shlock that, is a horrid pile of crap that amounts to nothing more then a disgrace to the series.

Thank god nothing this horrid could really exist. ^_^

ANGRYWOLF
05-12-2010, 03:39 PM
it's a complete departure from the previous games.The previous games did have a very loyal following and when the game's developers made such a radical change it disenfrachized everyone who had loved the series.

and that's a shame.

But a pile of...?

I wouldn't go that far.

Just not the cup of tea Breath of Fire fans wanted and expected.:mad:

Flying Arrow
05-13-2010, 06:20 AM
A pretty good game with some absolutely maddening quirks. I remember I had to re-start the game half way through because my D-Meter got too high by that point that it became almost impossible to get to the end without maxing it out. Time limits smurf off.

Other than that, a decent little time-waster. Plenty of better (although not as unique) RPGs on the PS2 though, so one should only go to it if the rest of the list is crossed out.

Vermachtnis
05-13-2010, 06:31 AM
I thought it was fun. Not as good as 3 or 4, but still alright. And kicking every things ass as a dragon is pretty fun too, even though you're not suppose to do that. The thing I really hated was the limited saves. I like to save all the time and those tokens got on my nerves.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2010, 06:44 AM
Don't listen to NeoCracker he has odd taste...

I actually really liked the game. Yes it was a radical departure but I never felt it was a bad departure. The BoF series was getting stale at the time and needed some shaking up, I just wish they had stuck to 2D sprites... (course I say this about many Capcom projects... Why MvC3! Why do you have to be like SFIV instead of CvsT? )

The restart system is not as aggravating as people make it out to be since you get to start over with Party XP you haven't used and all your equipment and skills meaning you can quickly get back to where you left off. You are effectively restarting in New Game+ Mode. The story is debatably (for me at least) one of the best in the series and truly took BoF into darker territory than previous titles, which is saying something since BoFIV was pretty heavy on the dark elements.

For those planning on replaying it, the game only has one ending but beating it under certain conditions lowers your D-Ratio giving you access to more areas and places to explore in later playthroughs. I also recommend keeping at least 15% of your D-Meter intact for easy wins against the final bosses cause they are cheating assholes who deserve a dragon stomping.

The Last Ancient
05-13-2010, 02:16 PM
I liked the story and it had a beautiful score (guy who did vagrant story, ff12, and fftactics, hitoshi sakimoto). The only problem was it was way too short and didn't have enough time to get into the story.

Jiro
05-14-2010, 10:58 AM
I enjoyed Dragon Quarter. You cannot finish it on your first playthrough though, which made it tough when I didn't own it. However I thought it was a neat game, if breaking from the standard BoF formula.

Iceglow
05-15-2010, 10:03 AM
The problem with games like dragon quarter is that when you can't complete it without restarting it feels like a very cheap attempt at forcing the gameplay time up. I prefer games where you can complete it on your first try but have an added incentive of newgame+ to get you to try harder challenges.

Mercen-X
05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I still have saved data from this game. Since I've never picked up a guide, I don't know how far along I am. I just know that my Dragon percentage is somewhere in the 40s and I keep restarting to boost my stats and retry the plot. This game has such a cheap way of getting replay value. God, do I hate it, but I can't help wanting to somehow finish it despite not owning the game and not knowing where to find it.

ANGRYWOLF
05-17-2010, 06:26 PM
so you should be able to read one of those and find out where you stopped.

There are stores that have older games..usually here in the US even some small cities have them...You would be more likely to find it in one of those shops than in one of the large retail gaming stores.

I'm still playing it although I have gotten killed a few times and had to start over.

There aren't enough save tokens or places where you can access your locker. The amount of healing items you can carry in your backpack early in the game is too limited.:mad: