PDA

View Full Version : The Vampire Diaries

Miriel
05-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Like Twilight except: better writing, better acting, and hotter cast. But not as hot as True Blood. :greenie:

Anyone else watching?

Tonight's finale was awesome. The kiss! The fingers being chopped off! Loved it!

Chris
05-14-2010, 03:12 PM
You know, I've seen one episode, and I actually liked it. Hated True Blood, so I didn't expect to like this one, but I did. I still plan on getting my hands on all of the episodes.

FYI: I love the Twilight movies. Deal with it, haters. :jess:

Psychotic
05-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah, Vampire Diaries pisses all over True Blood, which is actually boring as hell.

What a hell of a character Damon is, and what a performance as him by Ian Somerhalder. I thought the show was a bit cheesy to start off with, but it has really found its feet as compelling drama. Never liked Bonnie, and her leading to Anna dying has not helped matters. Was also glad Katherine appeared. I was so certain she'd have to appear in the finale, but then it looked like she wouldn't and I was questioning what the smurf, but then BAM.

Chris
05-16-2010, 05:23 PM
I've begun watching it from the first episode, and I've seen two so far, and I must say that I love it and it looks promising. Watching episode three and four tonight. :D

Imperfectionist
05-16-2010, 05:25 PM
I haven't bothered with this because I thought it would just be kinda poo. I might try it if I have time though...

Rye
05-16-2010, 05:40 PM
When I watched the commercials for it, it looked lame so I never tried. But I trust your tastes, Miriel and Paul, so what is it about really? I might give it a try. I need a new show after I finished Six Feet Under. XD

Bunny
05-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I watched about five minutes of it and thought it was terrible. Does is it get less like a teenage school drama as the series carries on? All I remember is two kids whining about their parent's death.

Psychotic
05-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Yeah, definitely heads away from that direction, although to start it is pretty heavily immersed in that. As I said, I think it picks up as it goes along, and a lot of the characters who I thought were twats grew on me, although some I still dislike.

Miriel
05-16-2010, 08:08 PM
C'mon guys, this is on the CW, of course it's gonna have high school teenage drama. FOCUS ON THE HOT PEOPLE.

http://i43.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/b63n0n.jpg

Seriously though, it's a fast paced show that isn't afraid to have both violence and sex. I think it's fun and surprisingly well written.

Bunny
05-16-2010, 09:25 PM
C'mon guys, this is on the CW, of course it's gonna have high school teenage drama. FOCUS ON THE HOT PEOPLE.

I don't mind the high school teenage drama. I watch Gossip Girl and used to watch One Tree Hill. My main problem with what I did watch was the two siblings whining about their dead parents. I hope I watched the right show :x

Shlup
05-16-2010, 09:26 PM
I haven't seen the last episode yet (THANKS FOR THE SPOILER, PSY, I MARKED IT FOR YOU) but I love this show! It did start out really teen-dramay but has turned far more interesting. Also, Damon is a fabulous character. If it weren't for him I might not've stuck it out for the first few episodes, but he just gets better and better.

ETA: That passes, Bunny. And then there are more topless boys.

Bunny
05-16-2010, 10:11 PM
OH GOD I LOVE TOPLESS BOYS GIMME GIMME

Miriel
05-16-2010, 10:42 PM
I haven't seen the last episode yet (THANKS FOR THE SPOILER, PSY, I MARKED IT FOR YOU) but I love this show! It did start out really teen-dramay but has turned far more interesting. Also, Damon is a fabulous character. If it weren't for him I might not've stuck it out for the first few episodes, but he just gets better and better.

ETA: That passes, Bunny. And then there are more topless boys.

You're going to love it! One of the best finales I've seen in awhile. It was... hot. I'll just leave it at that.

Spiffing Cheese
05-16-2010, 11:42 PM
I just watched the finale and my jaw is still on the floor. Katherine at the end? I sooo didn't see it coming. I was kinda gutted though, the kiss was so hot and it wasn't even really Elena. :(

Stefan and Elena's relationship is even more boring than Bella and Edward. And that is hard to achieve.

http://i43.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/b63n0n.jpg

Seriously. I do NOT remember him being so HOT in Lost. The part where he danced with Vicki at the start of the season was so beyond hot.

I'm glad John's dead, he was a boring smurfer. And I'm sooo happy they're going with the (possible spoiler even if you saw the episode) werewolf storyline from the books. Doubtless all the Twihards will be screaming "Oh my god they're copying Stephenie Meyer's super genius original storylines!!!!!!!!!!" It irritates me to hell, if anything that silly cow copied 90% of her story from The Vampire Diries in the first place.

Miriel
05-17-2010, 01:12 AM
I knew that it was Katherine as soon as she pulled that ninja-vampire sneak up on John. It just clicked together for me at that point.

Cause I thought that the kiss was SO HOT! But totally out of character for Elena. But it had me gushing and OMGing throughout the whole scene.

Ehehehee.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9963/kiss2p.gif

Psychotic
05-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Can't you gifwhores post Anna/Caroline taking their shirts off instead? :colbert:

Bunny
05-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Seriously. I do NOT remember him being so HOT in Lost. The part where he danced with Vicki at the start of the season was so beyond hot.

If that is Ian Somerhold than it's because he was a whiny :bou::bou::bou::bou: in lost.

Spiffing Cheese
05-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I knew that it was Katherine as soon as she pulled that ninja-vampire sneak up on John. It just clicked together for me at that point.

I totally didn't realise until he actually said Katherine, ha ha.

The foreshadowing at the start when Elena dressed like Katherine to the end when Katherine was dressed as Elena was pretty cool now that I think about it.

Cause I thought that the kiss was SO HOT! But totally out of character for Elena. But it had me gushing and OMGing throughout the whole scene.

It was out of character, especially as she was saying like 2 seconds ago STEFAN I LUFFS U BIG TIMES but I still didn't twig!

Mercen-X
05-17-2010, 06:14 PM
I did NOT know it was Katherine even when she cut off John's fingers. I'm getting bad at this. I sad about what's-her-name the vampire gf. I don't think Alaina's brother is going to survive that overdose. I think it was badly planned. I think it's funny that the actor is Steve McQueen. That's great. By the way, I think Tyler is a werewolf. It's kinda obvious as there's always a vamp-lycan rivalry in pretty much every supernatural setting. I think Ty's dad will back too.

Breine
05-17-2010, 08:42 PM
I've never watched it. To me it just seems like a cheap knock-off of Buffy, True Blood and Twilight.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Still, I don't intend to watch it.

Psychotic
05-17-2010, 08:47 PM
It's better than two of those things imho!

I don't know if anything will ever top Buffy though.

Miriel
05-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I've never watched it. To me it just seems like a cheap knock-off of Buffy, True Blood and Twilight.

I'm pretty sure nothing can be a cheap knock off of Twilight, since Twilight is the bottom of the barrel. It's strange to me that a movie franchise with millions and millions of dollars can't produce better quality entertainment than a show on one of the lowest rated networks. But I guess even with that much money, you can't polish a turd.

Buffy will always be the best vampire show ever. But Buffy is a completely different show from True Blood & Vampire Diaries. The tone of each show is pretty radically different.

Bunny
05-17-2010, 11:35 PM

The only way Buffy could ever been topped is if Joss Whedon was somehow involved with it.

Breine
05-17-2010, 11:49 PM

I'm pretty sure nothing can be a cheap knock off of Twilight, since Twilight is the bottom of the barrel. It's strange to me that a movie franchise with millions and millions of dollars can't produce better quality entertainment than a show on one of the lowest rated networks. But I guess even with that much money, you can't polish a turd.

Buffy will always be the best vampire show ever. But Buffy is a completely different show from True Blood & Vampire Diaries. The tone of each show is pretty radically different.

I agree with you. But when I say that Vampire Diaries is a knock-off (even of Twilight), it's because it's the latest show/movie to ride this vampire wave that's happened over the last couple of years, where all the new vampire franchises started to copy Buffy concerning the whole male vampire falling in love with human girl. Me calling it a knock off didn't necessarily have anything to do with the quality of the different franchises (because yes, Twilight is bad), but more with the chronology, if you know what I mean.

But, yeah. Buffy is probably my favourite show ever, and I also think True Blood is a pretty good show.

Shlup
05-18-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm giving myself a pat on the back! I totally knew it was Katherine before anyone so far and I usually never figure that kind of crap out until they spell it out. When she let Damon kiss her after all those long opportunities to reject him I was narrowy-eyed, but when she said "I don't want to talk about it" I was like FUCK YOU KATHERINE!

Good stuff.

Raistlin
05-18-2010, 03:11 AM
I watch Gossip Girl

... and used to watch One Tree Hill.

I don't know who you are anymore.

Bunny
05-18-2010, 05:55 AM
Yes, I know. I am guilty of watching extremely corny teenage dramas. I also watch really bad movies for the hell of it. Pretty sure there is a connection.

Oh, and I only watched like the first season or so of One Tree Hill. I didn't watch it religiously or anything.

Mercen-X
05-18-2010, 09:39 PM
I've never watched it. To me, it just seems like a cheap knock-off of Buffy, True Blood and Twilight.
It is a knock-off, but I wouldn't call it cheap. At first, I didn't have much faith in it. It's a drama show like 90210 but with death and vampires (and magic... and I guess werewolves now). It reminds me of Witch Hunter Robin. Too much talk and no action until the very end. But it's just slightly better because there is actually more action interspersed within the show. Plus, I find it easy to get sucked into the show because... cue revelation gong... I like Damon. He's a jerk, but he's cool. Given the recent episode showing that Tyler may be werre-y, I think I can cut him some slack though I used to hate him.
Buffy and Angel both branched off course and were not even remotely about vampires anymore. Suddenly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was Buffy the Monster Slayer and then Buffy the Demon Slayer and had her own army. Angel's only connection to the vampire theme is that he himself is a vampire. That whole Wolf Ram Hart thing. What?

The only way Buffy could ever been topped is if Joss Whedon was somehow involved with it.

Firefly/Serenity. Sure, it's not about vampires. But it tops Buffy, imo.

Bunny
05-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Firefly does top Buffy, but the discussion was specifically about vampire television.

Spiffing Cheese
05-19-2010, 01:57 AM
This show's obviously cashing in on the Twilight/True Blue/vampire love fad, but I really don't think you can call it a knock off of Twilight or Buffy, considering that the first Vampire Diaries were written before either of those came out (including the Buffy movie). The basic story is the same as in the book, even if the plot is different.

It's good that a lot of it is different, though, cos the books are kind of lame. (They're much more original than Twilight, but yeah. Not difficult) The vampires can't even have sex in the Vampire Diaries world. What the hell is that about? Like, not even that they don't WANT to, they CAN'T. It just seems demented to me, writing a series of books about this 'epic' love, and then a few books down the line the writer's like, oh yeah, by the way, none of these characters will EVER EVER have sex with each other. Why? WHY? I don't get it.