PDA

View Full Version : Your first time

Raistlin
05-14-2010, 04:49 PM
So I just pulled my first school-related all-nighter, ever. I have come close before (working until 2 or 3 AM, only getting a few hours of sleep), but never actually done it. However, the journal competition at law school broke me, and I was up until after 5 AM just getting the work done, and then I had to spend the next 90+ minutes copying everything in the editing section over to a final copy (which took so long partly because I saw a couple of things I had forgotten to go back to). Sure, I procrastinated hardcore as usual, but it was a :bou::bou::bou::bou:ton of work.

I was certainly not alone. When I was at the law school printing out all the necessary copies, the only person I talked to that actually did sleep last night had not slept for almost the entire two days previous. But whatever, now I am finally done with my first year. Now I get to enjoy waiting the next 3 weeks or so for my class grades and 6 weeks for the journal competition results. Fun times.

So, to give this barely lucid babbling some sort of topic, have you ever pulled an all-nighter? Discuss doing work all night.

Momiji
05-14-2010, 04:51 PM
I pull all-nighters even when I'm not working on something. I generally just end up losing track of time, then looking at the clock 'What the fuck it's 3:30am?!'

Shoeberto
05-14-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm pretty good about not procrastinating. Being kept up all night before an exam is usually done by either room mates or neighbors. Pretty much makes me want to go on a shooting spree.

Jessweeee♪
05-14-2010, 05:34 PM
A couple of times for English papers.

Jings
05-14-2010, 07:01 PM
I wrote half of my history dissertation the night before/morning it was due. It was an unpleasant experience.

Shorty
05-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Professors are sadists, and expect this kind of crap.

Shlup
05-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I've never pulled an all-nighter. Psychology is the major of kings and layabouts.

Rodarian
05-14-2010, 08:18 PM
When I studied at an art university, pulling an all nighter was a common practice.

The first time I did it, I was miserable.... :(.... I know that if I see the light of dawn.. I'm going to be in a crappy mood! :S

Rantz
05-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Like Raist, I've only ever almost done it. We'll see what the graduation project I'm working on will do to me. If I don't pull an all-nighter over that, I'll have escaped school without having had to.

Levian
05-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Only when I've been up so late that it's more devastating to sleep for only a few hours than stay awake and go to school. Ah the joys of going to college.

Aerith's Knight
05-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Last year I've had my first all-monther. All month long, 3 intersection exam weeks as I did a transition to master next to my bachelor, and I only took 1 hour naps between studying and making tests.

My longest streak was 78 hours without sleep. I think Kaycee was there and is still slightly disturbed by it.

Raistlin
05-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Last year I've had my first all-mother.

Hey now, this isn't the place for that. Take it to the Grandma thread in EoEO.

Rantz
05-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Last year I've had my first all-mother.

Hey now, this isn't the place for that. Take it to the Grandma thread in EoEo.

My first thought as well. xD

Aerith's Knight
05-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Who doesn't love out of context spelling errors? :)

Brennan
05-14-2010, 11:30 PM
I stay up all night for the fun of it every now and then.

Rye
05-14-2010, 11:39 PM
I only had one all-nighter ever, and it was a night when I couldn't sleep because my anxiety hit horrible levels. I talked to Lamonda for hours!

Citizen Bleys
05-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Literally every night. I work nights.

Miriel
05-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Surprised with you guys.

I thought all nighters were really common. I pulled all nighters plenty of times in high school and college. Last night, I didn't go to sleep until 7AM.

Madame Adequate
05-14-2010, 11:56 PM
In the sense of simply not sleeping, I've only done that once or twice ever. In the sense of not going to bed until the sun is rising, I do that pretty much every night :p

I've never had to stay up late for college work, because I usually do it with plenty of time to spare. That was less the case this year, but I didn't actually have to stay up late, I just had to spend more day hours than usual on it. xD

Bunny
05-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Last night I stayed up until 7am. The night before, 6am. The night before that, somewhere around 5am. I typically go to bed after 4am regardless of what I have to do the next day, much to the chagrin of my girlfriend who cannot stay up passed 2am to save her life.

Rantz
05-15-2010, 01:21 AM
In the sense of not going to bed until the sun is rising, I do that pretty much every night :p

Oh, yeah! If that qualifies as an all-nighter, then that's pretty common for me xD

docta fizz
05-15-2010, 06:12 AM
My longest streak was 78 hours without sleep. I think Kaycee was there and is still slightly disturbed by it.
wow somebodies got me beat, my longest was 50 some hours, I'm worthless at 50 hours... heck i'm worthless at 40. I've worked 28-30 hour stretches more times than I care to count, but staying up for 24 is something i occasionally do on accident. Just not sleepy. One very interesting occurence of sleep deprevation ended in me waking up in the middle of the woods... not sure how I got there.

Jessweeee♪
05-15-2010, 06:30 AM
In the sense of not going to bed until the sun is rising, I do that pretty much every night :p

Oh, yeah! If that qualifies as an all-nighter, then that's pretty common for me xD

It's especially awful when I get a new game xD

Kirobaito
05-15-2010, 06:38 AM
No idea when the first time was, but I think I had about 4 or 5 all-nighters this semester, and one or two most of the other semesters of college.

rubah
05-15-2010, 06:48 AM
man, usually I just give up by about 1:30. you guys are nuts

Tavrobel
05-15-2010, 06:48 AM
I've done this once, when I had to write a paper, and then type up my resume in the next six hours.

Matthew
05-15-2010, 07:16 AM
I can't remember. Probably some research paper. I always would put those off because I can get the writing done pretty quickly, but then get stuck on the research.

Man, I vividly recollect writing a paper first and just plugging in the research for something to say I used it. Such was my arrogance!

Kossage
05-15-2010, 11:39 PM
The only time I ever had an all-nighter was when we had classes one day in a row (so basically 24 hours of classes, which was kind of a tradition at our school). The classes from 2 AM to 7 AM were pretty lax for obvious reasons, and we had a great time even though many of us could hardly stay awake the following day. xD

I still regret that I didn't take the all-nighter "history of rock&roll" class when I had the chance, though. :(

Cleyra
05-16-2010, 01:43 AM
When I had to study for a final and write a final paper. Some pretty interesting multi-tasking I had that night. Also, didn't sleep after the final and turning in the paper, because I had to work an 8-hour shift as well.

Levian
05-16-2010, 03:32 AM
The title of this thread is so misleading. The same can be said for the "How long can you last?" thread in Wonder Square.

Raistlin
05-16-2010, 03:56 AM
It amused me when I had been working with only small breaks for close to 30 hours.

Mo-Nercy
05-16-2010, 04:37 AM
I pull all-nighters all the time, but not really out of necessity. I've never waited until the last day to finish a piece of work. Instead, I like to finish work early and get it out of the way. So I'll pull an all-nighter whenever the spark of actually wanting to do work hits me.

Jiro
05-16-2010, 05:21 AM
I've never pulled an all-nighter over school. I have better things to do.

Citizen Bleys
05-16-2010, 05:56 AM
It amused me when I had been working with only small breaks for close to 30 hours.

Your username amuses me and it's only 2am here.

Værn
05-16-2010, 06:05 AM
I pull all-nighters even when I'm not working on something. I generally just end up losing track of time, then looking at the clock 'What the smurf it's 3:30am?!'
This. Except that sometimes I only notice that I stayed up too late when I look out the window and realize that the sun's rising. Haven't been that bad lately, though.

Raistlin
05-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Your username amuses me and it's only 2am here.

Yeah, I don't think Shlup appreciated me suggesting her present name change to Psy.

Matthew
05-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Wes is lady things. Somewhere deep down I think I always knew.

VexNet
05-18-2010, 10:35 PM
It's the story of my life, procastination and then CRAZY work nonstop.

I swear to god, the worst I've ever been is that I had only 2 or 3 hours sleep a night, every night for a week (last couple nights I had just an hour sleep), cramming a crazy amount of work into my schedule as much as I could. I had never been more exhausted in my life, and to this day I still don't learn from my mistakes.

At the moment I've been staying up pretty late again, except this time it's because I'm helping my girlfriend out in oddjobs and motivation because her deadline is coming up soon!

I've not played a video game properly in about 3 weeks D=
Her and I are going on a Video Game marathon when we get this work out of the way,

It's going to be Epic. I'm looking at you Halo3 ODST Legendary Co-op Campaign!