PDA

View Full Version : Chocobos invade North America!

KentaRawr!
05-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Article! (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,246019,00.html)

A 7-foot-tall prehistoric bird with a monster-size noggin arrived in North America from South America long before a land bridge connected the two continents, a new study reveals.

The flightless, carnivorous terror birds — that's what scientists call them — likely hopped to North America via islands that came to form what is today the Isthmus of Panama, said Bruce MacFadden, a paleontologist at the Florida Museum of Natural History and lead author of the research.

The terror bird (Titanis walleri) belongs to the Phorusrhacid family and holds the record as the largest predatory bird known to have existed.

Weighing in at a ground-shaking 330 pounds, it had a head larger than yours.

Past studies of skull and leg bones revealed the bird had a speedy stride and a deadly bite — it could chomp down on dog-sized prey with its hooked beak.

"We found that the Titanis fossils were 2 million years old, and not 10,000 years old as had been suggested," MacFadden said. "This also shows the last known occurrence of Titanis in the fossil record and reflects its extinction."

The scientists arrived at the earlier date by analyzing some of the metallic elements locked up in the pores of Titanis fossil bones found in Texas and Florida — the only places in North America where fossils have been unearthed.

The new dating technique relies on nature to provide a time marker.

As a dead animal degrades, its porous bones absorb surrounding groundwater, which contains specific levels of so-called rare-earth elements.

As the local groundwater conditions change, so do the concentrations of the metals, stamping bones with a unique chemical signature that indicates the geologic time of death.

Until now, only one other scientist, in England, has applied this rare-earth element method to dating fossils.

Other dating techniques rely on carbon, which is nearly degraded in most cases for fossil organisms, making it tricky to find an accurate age.

"We used rare-earth elements because they're highly specific to certain time periods and different groundwater conditions," MacFadden said.

So, as it turns out, chocobos were very, very scary. They also invaded North America long, long ago. Perhaps it's possible that a savior of the world just abandoned a chocobo in some random spot on the world map, and then they just turned carnivorous there. Seriously though, what do you think of this bird, not as a chocobo, but as Titanis walleri?

Bunny
05-14-2010, 08:49 PM
I know when I'm going when my time machine is finished!

Raistlin
05-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Hey, that does look like a chocobo skeleton, just with a much larger beak.

When does Jurassic Park become a reality? I want an army of those things.

Jessweeee♪
05-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Hey, that does look like a chocobo skeleton, just with a much larger beak.

When does Jurassic Park become a reality? I want an army of those things.

Yeah, that thing is totally a chocobo xD

Madame Adequate
05-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I had always assumed that once we got good enough at genetics, we would make chocobos. This makes that easier, because we might be able to glean useful information from it all!

Freya
05-15-2010, 12:22 AM
I wonder what color they were so I know if they could fly or deep sea dive! :D

black orb
05-15-2010, 01:42 AM
>>> Oh yeah, Terror birds I watched them in discovery channel or it was nationalgeographic? wathever, those are originally from south america (the chocobo like ones), the ones that migrated to north america changed their look a bit..:luca:

Clo
05-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Do do do do do do do dooo doo doooooooo.

:choc2:

Rad Bromance
05-15-2010, 03:39 AM
Final Fantasy games are actually based on ancient history in parallel universes.

Shorty
05-15-2010, 03:42 AM
oh my god, it's a chocobo.

Hot Shot
05-15-2010, 01:51 PM
OMG, I cant believe they used to exist! They look so much like chocobos. I have always wanted one because they are so much cooler than a horse.

Unbreakable Will
05-15-2010, 04:35 PM
This has just confirmed my suspicions on chocobo existence, now that means that there is a Vincent Valentine out there somewhere that I can capture!

Rodarian
05-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Yea those lovely 'chocbos' are something I really don't want to encounter... :|

fire_of_avalon
05-16-2010, 03:55 AM
http://scribesexpress.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/up-kevin-russell-web.jpg

Jiro
05-16-2010, 05:13 AM
Boko wants to devour you :(

Unbreakable Will
05-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Boko wants to devour you :(