PDA

View Full Version : Who else hates Hope??

reinward
05-15-2010, 01:31 AM
i understand him being upset about losing his mother, but why all the hate for Snow? it clearly wasnt his fault. I think it funny that Snows all like "hey buddy hows it goin?" and Hope's all like "shut the f**k up i hate you!"

Hope sucks (thus far)

im only at like chapter 8 or something so dont spoil anything for me

BarelySeeAtAll
05-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Never played the game (nor do I have any intentions of doing so) but my mate said I looked like Hope. The boy. I am a girl. It upset me and made me dislike the game and the child even more. :) So yes someone else hates hope.

black orb
05-15-2010, 03:34 AM
>>> Young boy + white hair = Kingdom Hearts character :eep:..:luca:

Yep, that Hope kid deserves to be hated..

Del Murder
05-15-2010, 04:21 AM
Hope is a kid. He saw his mother enlist in a fight under a man who failed to keep her protected. He's feeling grief and he decided to turn that grief to anger against Snow. It seems natural to me.

Hope is actually the character with the most development in the game, in fact the only character that really develops at all. I found him to be a great character.

Mo-Nercy
05-15-2010, 07:09 AM
I quite liked Hope. And as Del's pointed out, he does indeed get the most development throughout the game. To be honest, I liked him more when he was moody and angry toward Snow. It was interesting to see how it played out.

DarkOrigins
05-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Hope is a kid. He saw his mother enlist in a fight under a man who failed to keep her protected. He's feeling grief and he decided to turn that grief to anger against Snow. It seems natural to me.

Hope is actually the character with the most development in the game, in fact the only character that really develops at all. I found him to be a great character.

I'll take your Hope and raise you a Sazh.

He has by FAR the most interesting and provoking backstory, and he actually acts like a human would. Then they screwed him up with the whole "Crazy Foo'" Black Man stuff.

But back on topic. Hope deserves to be hated. If he was real, he'd be one of those kids who live in the cellar, listen to The Cure and complain that no-one understands them. And writes poetry. Vilbert from 8-Bit in essence.

Elpizo
05-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Hope deserves to be hated.
Yeah... no.

Madame Adequate
05-15-2010, 12:30 PM
But back on topic. Hope deserves to be hated. If he was real, he'd be one of those kids who live in the cellar, listen to The Cure and complain that no-one understands them. And writes poetry. Vilbert from 8-Bit in essence.

Is that before or after he deals with his issues, accepts the death of his mother, decides to resist the government that tried to final solution him, overcomes the fact that he is one of the most wanted people in the entire history of the world, and becomes the most relentless confident "Yes we CAN do this guys don't give up we'll figure something out" member of the party despite the only appearent end results being death, or a fate worse than death? :confused:

DarkOrigins
05-15-2010, 03:49 PM

Is that before or after he deals with his issues, accepts the death of his mother, decides to resist the government that tried to final solution him, overcomes the fact that he is one of the most wanted people in the entire history of the world, and becomes the most relentless confident "Yes we CAN do this guys don't give up we'll figure something out" member of the party despite the only appearent end results being death, or a fate worse than death? :confused:

Give me one example of him making a clear decision on his own? With the exception of Operation NORA, he goes along with the tide of the group, whining as he goes along. Granted after Chapter 11 he becomes a little less annoying. And "Relentless We-Can-Do-This character"?. Might you be forgetting Vanille. And Snow. Who are much more that persona than Hope.

Shin Gouken
05-15-2010, 04:05 PM
I hated him.

But i'm a man in his mid 20's who really doesn't want to watch some whiny kid. Regardless of his circumstances or level of develpment, the fact remains that Hope is a whiner. I'm all for a character struggling with what's happening to him and learning lifes lessons to grow into a stronger person, but watching this through the eyes of a child isn't something i can relate to and only emphasises his whiney nature.

As ive mentioned before, we, as the player, know he has his wires crossed. We know Snow isn't responsible for his mothers death and that only makes it difficult to sympathise with him because regardless of how we see things through his eyes, it's plainfully obvious to any three legged donkey that Snow was trying to save them. Blaming him makes Hope either very very stupid or have some kind of weird perception of reality. He should be thanking Snow for trying to save him and his mother, and indeed everyone, how he just dismisses Snows need to be a hero and labels him the villain is just beyond me.

Madame Adequate
05-15-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure you people were paying attention. Did you just erase all the times Hope stepped up when everyone else was on the verge of giving up from your memories?

As for blaming Snow, maybe he just has trouble accepting the fact that his mother was responsible for her own death? I doubt any 14 year old would have an easy time dealing with that but hey, go ahead and begrudge him the entire day or so it takes him to come to terms with massive emotional trauma if you must :monster:

I don't know what people are expecting, unless they want a young teenager who sees his government betray him and his mother die to shrug and say "Meh, whatev". Also everyone is overlooking that every single other character deals with all sorts of :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Lightning is so unable to deal with life that she sets up all those walls, can barely have a relationship with her own sister, and hides behind what is effectively a screename. Snow hides his massive weaknesses and failings behind his douchey "herp derp im a hero" attitude and it takes Hope calling him out for Snow to stop acting like a retard and admit that he's not a perfect hero. I doubt that anyone would cut Hope a break if he put a gun to his head, but Sazh? Haven't seen anyone call HIM whiny yet. (And before anyone says it, if losing your son is a fine reason for that sort of thing, so is losing your mother.)

If you folks honestly think that Hope was at all "whiny" then I guess there's no convicing you otherwise, but I don't see it. At all.

Jings
05-16-2010, 01:48 AM
I hated him. I hated most of FFXIII's characters though. Regardless of the reasons and justifications for his actions and demeanor, he was an insufferable whine for half the game and it was painful to watch.

Del Murder
05-16-2010, 08:00 AM
I can see how people could hate him if they hate kids, because much of his personality comes from the fact that he is a kid, but he certainly isn't whiny. His mother was killed and he was given the equivalent to a death sentence shortly after. Kid's gonna have some issues with that. I didn't see any reaction from him that didn't seem justified, in fact I think he acted more maturely than most would.

Persephone Stephanie
05-16-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure you people were paying attention. Did you just erase all the times Hope stepped up when everyone else was on the verge of giving up from your memories?

As for blaming Snow, maybe he just has trouble accepting the fact that his mother was responsible for her own death? I doubt any 14 year old would have an easy time dealing with that but hey, go ahead and begrudge him the entire day or so it takes him to come to terms with massive emotional trauma if you must :monster:

I don't know what people are expecting, unless they want a young teenager who sees his government betray him and his mother die to shrug and say "Meh, whatev". Also everyone is overlooking that every single other character deals with all sorts of :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Lightning is so unable to deal with life that she sets up all those walls, can barely have a relationship with her own sister, and hides behind what is effectively a screename. Snow hides his massive weaknesses and failings behind his douchey "herp derp im a hero" attitude and it takes Hope calling him out for Snow to stop acting like a retard and admit that he's not a perfect hero. I doubt that anyone would cut Hope a break if he put a gun to his head, but Sazh? Haven't seen anyone call HIM whiny yet. (And before anyone says it, if losing your son is a fine reason for that sort of thing, so is losing your mother.)

If you folks honestly think that Hope was at all "whiny" then I guess there's no convicing you otherwise, but I don't see it. At all.

Urgh thankyou. I share the same thoughts on Hope's attitude and development. And honestly? If one can admit that having your mother die in front your eyes, while still being a child who needs her is a grievous trauma, and still find fault in Hope for acting the way he did then it's kind of like saying you disapprove of, I dunno, characters reacting realistically to the situations they're in OR you are just really apathetic to the point it blinds your judgement of the situation. It's the same as saying (for example) "oh, I guess you got raped and a leg cut off but STOP COMPLAINING YOU'RE SO ANNOYING YOU'RE RUINING MY GAME".

Fair enough if people hate Hope because you think his hair is stupid, or his clothes are stupid, or his pep talks are cheesy, but hating on a kid for freaking out, which he is doing because his mum just died and all these strange people are trying to kill him, is weird.

VeloZer0
05-16-2010, 01:57 PM
I can see how people could hate him if they hate kids,
This

Future Esthar
05-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Hope was interesting because as far as I remember Square have never tried the approach they tried with him.