PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question: If were to make a manga/anime...

MJN SEIFER
05-15-2010, 01:34 PM
...would it still be a a mang/anime.

Suppose I had the talent (and possibly money?) to create and publish my own series, and - as I love the art style of manga and anime, I use it for my series, would it still be a manga and/or anime desipite the fact that I made it, and I am not Japanese even by a long shot?

Hot Shot
05-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Well according to wikipedia, manga is supposed to be in japanese (I dont think it matters wether you are japanese or not) and it must fit the artistic styles and conventions of manga. I think the same goes for anime, but I'm not too sure wether the language matters or not.

Mind you, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm sure someone else on the forum knows. But I do hope I helped a little bit.

Bunny
05-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Technically, no. Anime is generally considered to be animation produced within Japan. If you were living in Japan at the time, then you probably have a reason to argue for the appropriate classification. Otherwise, you might be out of luck.

However, I don't really see a logical reason in separating American anime/manga from Japanese anime/manga if they share several similar qualities and are of the same caliber. Most people consider anime produced within the United States (or anywhere outside of the Japan for that matter) to be worse than anime produced in Japan. I'm not so sure they've seen Lupin III though.

I don't really care for anime or manga though so I guess it doesn't really matter what I think.

VexNet
05-15-2010, 03:40 PM
it wouldn't be a true series, as said by the previous posts, Anime and Manga are from Japan.

Think of it like, in Japan they are animating the new series for Iron Man and Wolverine, they are western characters but because the studios are in Japan, it will be Anime, while the animations that were made previously are 'normal' western animation or cartoons.

I'd advise you to try not to imitate another series' style too much, yet it's only natural to gain inspiration from different styles but it would be nice to try something unique to yourself and bring something new to the world.
Just think of it as creating your own comic or animation!
don't worry about the labels of it being called a manga/anime.

Good Luck on your venture into setting up your own series!

black orb
05-15-2010, 06:14 PM
>>> Pretty much, if you make something that look japanese everyone will call it manga or western manga i dont know really, it doesnt matter if you made it in japan or not. The Korean manga is called manhwa, Chinese manga is still being called manga (if im not wrong). In other words everything is pretty smurfed up and today people doesnt really give a damn. So yeah, you can call your thing manga or whatever you want.:luca:

Mercen-X
05-18-2010, 09:53 PM
If it looks and smells and tastes like a cookie...

Anyway, yeah, if you plan to release a manga that runs its graphic series backwards through the pages, chances are it'll be called a manga. Someone who is "proper" :roll2 would say it's a "fake manga" or "western manga." If you don't follow the formula, they may call it a graphic novel which is my term of choice for pretty much all of them.
As for Anime, I've never really liked the term. I just call them "shows." Maybe we could call it "Amerime". lol.

Mo-Nercy
05-19-2010, 06:30 AM
>>> Pretty much, if you make something that look japanese everyone will call it manga or western manga i dont know really, it doesnt matter if you made it in japan or not. The Korean manga is called manhwa, Chinese manga is still being called manga (if im not wrong). In other words everything is pretty smurfed up and today people doesnt really give a damn. So yeah, you can call your thing manga or whatever you want.:luca:
I agree with this. If it's more like a manga/anime than a comic book/cartoon, it should probably be named accordingly. Where it comes from is of no relevance, for me.

Also, it'd be called 'manhua' in Chinese.

JKTrix
05-21-2010, 06:42 AM
OEL, or Original English Language is the industry term for manga made in English. The few examples of 'anime styled' cartoons I know of have not been referred to as anime. The several examples of anime that were produced or funded or directed by foreigners but still drawn/animated in Japan with their style are regarded as anime.

To be super technical, 'anime' and 'manga' are just japanese words that refer to cartoons and comic books. Just like the word 'katana' is technically just the word for a single-edged sword, but we use 'katana' to refer to the Japanese signle-edged sword. So if you really wanted to, you could get away with calling it 'anime' or 'manga', because that's what those words mean.

Anyone seriously considering the OEL route may want to check this out for some perspective (http://manga.about.com/b/2009/07/13/anime-expo-2009-7-reasons-why-oel-manga-falters-in-the-u-s.htm).

black orb
05-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Anyone seriously considering the OEL route may want to check this out for some perspective (http://manga.about.com/b/2009/07/13/anime-expo-2009-7-reasons-why-oel-manga-falters-in-the-u-s.htm).
>>> Woah, there is absolutely no love for the OEL manga :D..:luca:

Mercen-X
05-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Oh wEL... :eep: