PDA

View Full Version : a suggestion please :)

geektreat
05-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Hey guys n girls,

as a few of you may know im working through FF7 but it occured to me when i finish ill need a game to fill the hole...so i was wondering since the members here are a great sorce of ff related information what game should i get into next

FF1
FF2
(from origins)
FF8
FF9
FF10

note: i really want to give some of the snes titles a go but i dont have the means currently so any suggestions would be great :)

extra note: i have never completed any of the above games...that might help decisions.

thanks peoples of the interwebs

p.s. if this topic is in the wrong forum/not within rules or just plain smurfing terrible delete it i dont want to break any rules etc ...im scared :|

Hot Shot
05-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Try FF IV V or VI those are good games for you to get more into FF IMO.

geektreat
05-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Try FF IV V or VI those are good games for you to get more into FF IMO.

unfortunatly those are the games i really want to play but dont own at the moment :( but thanks for the advice ill be hunting the games down when i have the money :)

Jimmy-

Hot Shot
05-15-2010, 02:51 PM
no problem but you can just get an emulator. You should definately get it for VI as the PSX version sucks because its super slow.

Momiji
05-15-2010, 03:18 PM
If you have a computer, you have the means to play pretty much any of the games up to FFIX. Just sayin'. Whether or not you find issue with legitimacy is up to you. :p

Anyway, FFIX is pretty great, but if you can manage it, FFIV, FFVI, and FFT are even better. :D

geektreat
05-15-2010, 03:35 PM
no problem but you can just get an emulator. You should definately get it for VI as the PSOne version sucks because its super slow.

however good emulation is and believe me im not bashing it...it just cant hold up to having the actual cart to me witch means i will have to buy it at some point and get a converter since i live in the uk but again thanks for the help ill steer clear of the ps1 version. :)

If you have a computer, you have the means to play pretty much any of the games up to FFIX. Just sayin'. Whether or not you find issue with legitimacy is up to you. :p

Anyway, FFIX is pretty great, but if you can manage it, FFIV, FFVI, and FFT are even better. :D

legitimacy is not a problem, before i got into "collecting" gba/snes/nes emulation was my gaming platform lol but thanks a bunch and i think i may end up going with 9 seems to bring back some nice memories when i think of it.

cheers :)

Jimmy-

black orb
05-15-2010, 04:59 PM
>>> Just pick any of the FF you listed there, all those games are good and dont forget FF tactics..:luca:

ReloadPsi
05-15-2010, 05:13 PM
no problem but you can just get an emulator. You should definately get it for VI as the PSOne version sucks because its super slow.

This is advice well worth following. Do not play the PSX version, and don't play the GBA version unless you've played the original and are really that interested in its additional features.

geektreat
05-15-2010, 05:56 PM
>>> Just pick any of the FF you listed there, all those games are good and dont forget FF tactics..:luca:

believe me i wont i cant wait i love that style of rpg in general so it will be a no brainer...hopefully ...and money abiding :)

Originally Posted by Hot Shot ^ (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/132102-suggestion-please-post2848266.html#post2848266)
This is advice well worth following. Do not play the PSOne version, and don't play the GBA version unless you've played the original and are really that interested in its additional features.

that is the reason why i want to play the originals, but on that note the numbering has confused me i believe that ff2(american) is ff4 but what about 5 & 6? also apart from ebay are there any good places to buy online bearing in mind i live in the uk.

Jimmy-

thanks again to everyone for their help and suggestions :)

VeloZer0
05-15-2010, 06:10 PM
FF1 was released in Japan and NA
FF2 and FF3 were never released in NA
When FF4 was released in NA they released it as FF2, since FF1 was the last title released.
FF5 was not released in NA
FF6 was released in NA as FF3, since the last game released in NA was FF2(which was actually FF4)
FF7 was released everywhere as FF7

FF1 -> FF1
FF4 -> FF2
FF6 -> FF3
FF7 -> FF7

(I just read you live in the UK, but as far as I know everything I said is still accurate.)

---

believe me i wont i cant wait i love that style of rpg in general so it will be a no brainer...hopefully ...and money abiding
FFT is the best in the series, you might want to save the best for last
If you spend $300 on a PS3 it is only $10 :p

Slothy
05-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Out of your list, FFIX is by far the best of them.

I also have to disagree on ReloadPsi's advice of not playing the GBA version of FFVI unless you are interested in the special features. Aside from the special features and some translation changes the game is pretty much the same, and there is no reason to miss out on the best FF out there just because it's not the original or because it's on a hand held.

Momiji
05-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Let's not forget that the US SNES release of FFIV (FFII) was butchered somewhat. You may be better off with FFIV Advance, which has extra dungeons afterward-- or even the DS release, which is pretty nifty, even if I'm not as fond of it as I am of the original.

Your best option is to play a translated Japanese version of FFIV on an emulator. That'd be my suggestion, at least. I know it isn't the same as playing it on a cart, but in my opinion it's the best overall.

Jiro
05-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Start with the earlier games really. You want to be able to enjoy them all, and some of them won't hold up to the test of time. But really, anyone will do. Have fun!

geektreat
05-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks so much everyone i think its between 1 or 9 when i finish 7 and i think ill be looking into the best version of ff4 and saving for it i might go for the gba versionand play it on the gc gameboy player. I keep thinking about emulation but i dont think i would enjoy it as much as having an original.

Thank you so much everyone for the kind comments and helpful suggestions

Jimmy-

Levian
05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Whichever is fine, really! Maybe wait on FF8 if you haven't played many RPG's. It was my second ever RPG and the junctioning system which it uses to strengthen characters got a bit too complicated for me on my first playthrough. I ended up spending most of my time summoning because my characters were too weak. :p Anyhow, if you do end up playing this game first, just make sure you take some time to learn how it works. ;) It's a great game once you figure that stuff out.

If you spend $300 on a PS3 it is only $10

It's not released in Europe, where he lives.

Gameboy advance is pretty cheap now, so that shouldn't cost you much. not sure about the cartridges

geektreat
05-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Whichever is fine, really! Maybe wait on FF8 if you haven't played many RPG's. It was my second ever RPG and the junctioning system which it uses to strengthen characters got a bit too complicated for me on my first playthrough. I ended up spending most of my time summoning because my characters were too weak. :p Anyhow, if you do end up playing this game first, just make sure you take some time to learn how it works. ;) It's a great game once you figure that stuff out.

If you spend $300 on a PS3 it is only $10 It's not released in Europe, where he lives.

Gameboy advance is pretty cheap now, so that shouldn't cost you much. not sure about the cartridges

i honestly cant decide between buying the gba version or buying the snes cart from America but there is a very large price difference..well to me haha. Iv played a fair amount of rpg's but i used to either get distracted or stop playing them for a few days and that would be that you know, as for FFT on ps3 its a shame we dont have it over here as im recieving a ps3 for my birthday (how lucky am i right?)

Thanks as always Jimmy-

VeloZer0
05-16-2010, 11:03 PM
No FFT for Euro PSN?!?

That is an atrocity.