PDA

View Full Version : IGN's 100 Top Villains

Depression Moon
05-15-2010, 09:00 PM
IGN has composed a list of their top 100 favorite video game villains.

Top 100 Videogame Villains - IGN (http://www.ign.com/videogame-villains/index.html)

Agent Proto
05-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Bah, I'll just go through the top 10 and see if I agree.

10. Andrew Ryan from BioShock
9. Mother Brain from the Metroid series
8. Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid
7. Inky, Binky, Pinky, and Clyde from Pac-Man
6. Those damn Nazis from every game based on WWII ever.
5. Donkey Kong from... Donkey Kong
4. Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII
3. Ganon/Ganondorf from the Zelda series
2. Bowser from the Mario series
1. GlaDOS from Portal

Anyway, I'm surprised at the top pick for this list. Now for the next four making up the top 5, not so surprising really. I was kind of expecting Sephiroth to be listed at 2 perhaps, but 4 seems alright, even though he deserves a much lower spot than in the top 5, and the others are pretty much classic Nintendo villains. I don't know why IGN listed the Nazis, but they shouldn't count at all. :P

I'll go ahead and check out the other 90 picks I skipped. :D

Jings
05-15-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm happy they went with something quite unique in GlaDOS for number 1. Probably one of the most entertaining and memorable villains I've come across in video games. My list would have looked a little different though...

NeoCracker
05-15-2010, 10:47 PM
I was quite happy to see Kalisto from Heavy Metal listed. That dude was pretty twisted.

Kessler, while deserving a much higher spot, was a pleasant one to see as well.

Though the total lack of Kuja from this list is beyond forgivable.

No Deathavan either, nor Pokey from earthbound.

Hell, not even the almighty Gades, Sinestral of Destruction.

So many missed villains here, it makes me weep. ;_;

Jings
05-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Jon Irenicus was the most glaring omission for me.

NeoCracker
05-15-2010, 11:18 PM
And how could the forget the Grinning Collosuss. ;_;

Rase
05-16-2010, 12:31 AM
No Luca Blight...

Why?

At least Kane from C&C shows up.

Bolivar
05-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Waaaaay too much of a contemporary-bias.

Depression Moon
05-16-2010, 12:46 AM
I didn't know that Mike Tyson and King Hippo are villains, I just thought they were my opponents.

Laddy
05-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Jon Irenicus was the most glaring omission for me.
HELL YEAH.

Bunny
05-16-2010, 01:34 AM
No Luca Blight...

Why?

At least Kane from C&C shows up.

I would've settled for Luca Blight or Jowy, though Jowy's villainy is debatable. The list is fairly standard as far as lists go. Enough old school games to make the adult gamers happy balanced with enough newer villains so it doesn't ostracize the majority of IGN's target audience.

Jings
05-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Who's idea was it to add the Geth though? Really? That's the best they could do? They missed out some classic villains in favour of Mass Effect's cannon fodder. Good job.

Madame Adequate
05-16-2010, 02:33 AM
The list wasn't *too* bad, but the glaring ommission of absolutely anyone from the Suikoden series is pretty awful, and it's simply shocking how low both Kane and Kain are. I was fearing Sephiroth in 1; 4 is still far too high (He's a good villain, but he is certainly not Top 5 Ever material. He's not even the best villain in the game.) but at least GLaDOS can defend her position pretty robustly.

I have no idea why those Combine chumps were higher than Dr. Breen, or on the list at all in fact.

Was glad to see Saren made a reasonably good showing, but Harbinger is nowhere near as good and doesn't belong on the list.

Also some weird doubling up; why are both Arthas and the Lich King on the list as seperate entities? I mean yes, I know they are, but it seems an odd decision to make on a space-limited list.

Bunny
05-16-2010, 02:51 AM
Also some weird doubling up; why are both Arthas and the Lich King on the list as seperate entities? I mean yes, I know they are, but it seems an odd decision to make on a space-limited list.

Don't quote me on this because I did not read any of the provided descriptions and my Warcraft III attention span was worse than a child's but maybe it was Arthas pre-LK and then LK the entity itself. Who knows though, the list is kinda lame.

Madame Adequate
05-16-2010, 03:01 AM
That is what it is, but I still think it's silly, especially since they threw out the "The LK is both Arthas and Ner'zhul" thing. It's Arthas, and Arthas' story is the whole point of Warcraft III and most of the Scourge stuff in WoW.

Raistlin
05-16-2010, 03:51 AM
Outside of who they put #1, the list is unmemorable.

Levian
05-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Even though he's a total badass, I suppose I can understand why Scissorman didn't make it ;) No Pyramid Head is a bit worse though.

I Took the Red Pill
05-16-2010, 07:06 AM
I definitely think Gary Oak should be higher than 98. And I wish there had been something from Chrono Cross, Lynx or FATE or whatever.

Jiro
05-16-2010, 07:32 AM
From what I've heard in this thread, sounds like the list will disappoint if not alienate me. I'm happy to see something non-standard at the top though.

Meat Puppet
05-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Wow, I went the whole way through expecting Bowser to be #1 and Pacman ghosts to be #2. Well, Pacman ghosts and... someone else, but the list was long, and my net is capped so I forgot who my alternative was around #30. cool #1 though.

Also I dunno why but I always saw Andrew Ryan as more of a hero than a villain. :Oo:

post-preview: wow, whoever replaced the original :Oo: with that monstrosity should be banned

Jiro
05-16-2010, 08:05 AM
I didn't know anyone used post preview still

Skyblade
05-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Alex from Golden Sun didn't even make the list. I am extremely disappointed. Wait a sec, it's IGN. Ok, pretty much what I expected.

Rad Bromance
05-16-2010, 03:20 PM
GlaDOS is number one?

Really IGN?

Slothy
05-16-2010, 03:29 PM
GlaDOS is number one?

Really IGN?

She is one of the best game villains of all time. Since everyone will always quibble over individual rankings I don't see the issue with her being highly rated in general.

EDIT: Props to them for recognizing Sinistar's awesomeness.

Pete for President
05-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Liquid Snake being stowed away somewhere in the 50's feels a little off.

Jessweeee♪
05-17-2010, 06:12 AM
I do wish the SkiFree monster was on there. Hooray for GLaDOS though n.n

G13
05-17-2010, 07:49 AM
I quit reading when I got to Lance Vance.

Jessweeee♪
05-17-2010, 08:40 AM
I almost stopped reading there but only because "oh wow they're not shy about the spoilers, are they?"

Bunny
05-17-2010, 09:29 AM
I just read the entries for Kefka and Sephiroth, out of curiosity. I enjoy how they readily admit that the entire list is basically a popularity contest and that Kefka is the superior villain. At least they'll admit being retards.

Depression Moon
05-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Four villains just from Bioshock

Dreddz
05-17-2010, 06:50 PM
GlaDOS is so overrated. As is the rest of Portal. Agh, the controversy!

Jings
05-17-2010, 07:08 PM

:stare:

Slothy
05-17-2010, 08:08 PM

Such a statement would be controversial if not for you love of a certain movie undermining your credibility. :D

Rad Bromance
05-17-2010, 08:47 PM
GlaDOS is so overrated.
Yes!

As is the rest of Portal.
No!

Agh, the controversy!
:love:

Madame Adequate
05-17-2010, 09:36 PM

There is no controversy; you are just wrong. :p

Mo-Nercy
05-18-2010, 02:02 AM
I believe Alma from F.E.A.R should've been higher up. Her appearences are definitely the most memorable of the game.

Also, I've never thought of Tom Nook in that way before. The bastard!

Agent Proto
05-18-2010, 02:56 AM
I have, and I think he should have been listed higher. ;D

Meat Puppet
05-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Two at most would have been acceptable. I don’t really know why they put Sophia Lamb on there...

Forsaken Lover
05-18-2010, 10:24 AM
The fact Seifer is on the list and Ultimecia is nowhere to be seen just confirms once and for all she is probably the most forgettable and lame villain in FF history.

That's what I took away from this list.

And I'm not saying Seifer isn't awesome. he is. It's just the fact he is Ulty's lackey yet is definitely more memorable and cooler too.

G13
05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Two at most would have been acceptable. I don’t really know why they put Sophia Lamb on there...

Are you fucking kidding me!? Sophia Lamb made it onto that list? Wow... I'm at a loss. I think I need to read the rest of this list now. What other injustices have these people commited?

Breine
05-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Number one kinda surprised me, but other than that the Top 10 was pretty predictable.

LoneSwordsmanAuron
06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
All epic villains even though some don't deserve to be on the list, *coughspaceinvadersalienscough*

Mo-Nercy
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
All epic villains even though some don't deserve to be on the list, *coughspaceinvadersalienscough*
Or the stubby T-shaped block in Tetris. Man, that guy was hard! :D

Madame Adequate
06-07-2010, 01:16 PM
No the villains there are the z and s blocks

The Man
06-07-2010, 01:42 PM
I always found the frakking squares to be the worst, personally.

Del Murder
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Square block is definitely the worst. T block is like, the most useful block there is.

I've never played Portal so I'm disappointed to see the villain from that game as number 1 before all those classic Nintendo villains. And I guess telling me GLaDOS was a villain is a spoiler so I can't play that game now.

I thought Liquid Snake should be higher since he is the main villain from the MGS series.

Slothy
06-07-2010, 06:05 PM
And I guess telling me GLaDOS was a villain is a spoiler so I can't play that game now.

I realize you're probably joking, but they were pretty up front about GLaDOS being "off" the whole game.

And if you don't play Portal at your first opportunity then you only deny yourself. Games like Portal are pretty much the reason I play games.

Shin Gouken
06-07-2010, 10:18 PM
How the fuck they left out Gilgamesh is beyond me

Also... many of those were'nt "villains". Gary Oak is a "Rival", and predator only hunts creatures that are dangerous or armed, while Akuma only fights those who challenge him and who he considers worthy. And excuse me but Ridley > Mother brain. Personally i also think they should have not listed villains who were made famous through films/other media (like the predator and the joker). And did i miss Dr.Robotnik/eggman or was he absent too?

Jessweeee♪
06-07-2010, 10:30 PM
It's a tiny spoiler. You don't get far before you see weird writings from previous test subjects on the wall, orshe starts saying weird things like "As part of test protocol we are no longer allowed to lie to you. After the test is over you will be...missed." You're not really spoiled enough to ruin the game for yourself, Del n.n

The Man
06-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Also... many of those were'nt "villains". Gary Oak is a "Rival"

GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK resents that.

Clo
06-08-2010, 04:43 AM
I'm pretty sure Gary Oak is the embodiment of all that is evil and dastardly in the world. The villainous technique of bad timing is something that many other villains just wish they had.

Del Murder
06-08-2010, 05:38 AM
How the smurf they left out Gilgamesh is beyond me
Yeah, Ultros and not Gilgamesh? One of the greatest characters ever.

I guess I should play Portal some day. :o

blackmage_nuke
06-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Psycho Mantis and GLaDOS are the only two I feel deserve to be in that top ten, Sephiroth too maybe.