PDA

View Full Version : First & Last names

Miriel
05-18-2010, 09:12 PM
So FFXIV is apparently going to have a naming system where both a first and a last name will be required.

I completely dislike the idea. It would be one thing if the second name was optional, but it's not. :( And people in Alpha have tested this and you can have situations where different people can have the same first or last name. So there can be a Cloud One and a Cloud Two and a Cloud Three and on and on. Or the reverse. Sephiroth Rocks, Vivi Rocks, etc etc. The only thing you can't have is the exact same first and last name.

I don't want two names! Not really sure why they're doing this.

Thoughts?

Del Murder
05-18-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't really like it either. In FFXI people had similar names but since you can't use numbers they were never too similar. If someone took Sephiroth you wouldn't name yourself Sephirothtwo or something like that. You'd pick something different. It also might result in some long names and that will get annoying, especially when trying to send people /tells.

I wish they had just made it optional. I'm sure plenty of people would like to have a two word name but a lot of people don't.

Oh well, say hello to Tmoney McAwesome I guess.

Rostum
05-18-2010, 11:27 PM
I have no issue with it.

Ouch!
05-19-2010, 12:37 AM
The reasoning I've seen for it is that they did this to accommodate people transferring from FFXI who wish to keep their original name. My initial reaction was, "What the heck am I going to pair Ouch with?" but after the server merges, I tend to appreciate it a bit more.

There was already an Ouch on Quetzalcoatl when Midgardsormr got merged into it, so I was forced to change my name to Ouchie (still not used to it). What's more troublesome is that the character "Ouch" isn't even currently active, which I find endlessly obnoxious. This decreases the likelihood of not getting the name you desire significantly, and it also increases the likelihood that when migrating from FFXI to FFXIV that you will be able to retain your character name no matter what server you may end up on.

That said, when paired with damn near anything else, Ouch starts to sound less endearing and more ridiculous, so I'll probably go with something else. I've got a few ideas in mind.

Edit: I imagine some people will use the surname for clan identification purposes, or at least it wouldn't surprise me. It looks a hell of a lot better than that influx of people at NA launch of FFXI that just tacked "OG" on at the beginning of their names.

Edit 2: I'd also rather see Cloud One, Cloud Two, and Cloud Three that the multitudes of Cloudx or Xcloud and other similar variations that invariably inundate each server.

Miriel
05-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Honestly, I'm having a really hard time trying to come up with a name that I would like that has a last name attached. I like my character name. But Eleni doesn't have a last name. She just doesn't. What would it be? Eleni McAwesome? McAwesome as a last name is neat, but I don't think it matches and I would get sick of it.

Ouch, your name was one of the ones I thought about when this first came up. Ouch! by itself is so great! What the heck could you pair that with? I really wish this were an optional thing.

Ouch!
05-19-2010, 01:25 AM
I think I'll just be abandoning Ouch in favor of something else for just those reasons. As much as I love the name, I don't really have a problem retiring it for FFXIV.

You'll think of something, I imagine. You've got a few months to figure it out, after all. :D

Marshall Banana
05-19-2010, 01:31 AM
You can use "Strawberry Cutecup!"

Rostum
05-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Have a sense of creativity, rather than dismiss it completely.

Strawberry Cutecup sounds like an excellent name, too.

Del Murder
05-19-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm going to call you Omecle Cutecup from now on.

Miriel
05-19-2010, 03:19 AM
Preferring to have a certain type of name (ie: a name instead of a title-esque name like Strawberry Cutecup, or descriptive like Crazy Killer, Loony BoB) isn't a lack of creativity, it's just preference.

I don't really want a descriptive name. And having a non-descriptive name but required to have both a first and last name is too formal for my tastes. Like Luna Shadowfox or something. I'm sure we'll see a lot of that kind of role-player type name around. It just isn't my thing. Simplicity is nice, I think.

I have tons of creativity, I make a living off it. :greenie: I just have an attachment to certain names (all my names on various forums have been a single name), and it makes me sad that I not only have to retire my character name, but I doubt I will come up with a 2 name combination I like as much as a nice simple single name. It would be great if they just made it an option for people. Not sure why having it mandatory is a better idea than having a choice.

Jessweeee♪
05-19-2010, 07:05 AM
I really like the idea. Hopefully they'll do some feature like allow us to make our surnames invisible for players like Miriel, but it suits me perfectly :3

Rostum
05-19-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm going to call you Omecle Cutecup from now on.

It has a nice ring to it. :cookie: But no, I've already decided on my name.

Preferring to have a certain type of name (ie: a name instead of a title-esque name like Strawberry Cutecup, or descriptive like Crazy Killer, Loony BoB) isn't a lack of creativity, it's just preference.

I don't really want a descriptive name. And having a non-descriptive name but required to have both a first and last name is too formal for my tastes. Like Luna Shadowfox or something. I'm sure we'll see a lot of that kind of role-player type name around. It just isn't my thing. Simplicity is nice, I think.

I have tons of creativity, I make a living off it. :greenie: I just have an attachment to certain names (all my names on various forums have been a single name), and it makes me sad that I not only have to retire my character name, but I doubt I will come up with a 2 name combination I like as much as a nice simple single name. It would be great if they just made it an option for people. Not sure why having it mandatory is a better idea than having a choice.

Cool. I don't agree and I think you're making this into something that's bigger than it should be.

:)

Miriel
05-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Posting about one aspect of a video game on an internet forum, all of which takes like less than 5 minutes, isn't a big deal man. It's just conversation. Things to talk about until the game comes out.

This forum has been dead for days, livening it up with a little talk about some of the new stuff we're hearing about the game is a good thing! I think so anyway. Hopefully the closer we get to the launch, the more we can have people posting in this forum. You know, make it a big deal. :greenie:

For those of you who have already settled on a name, share! I want to know. :)

oddler
05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I really like the idea. Hopefully they'll do some feature like allow us to make our surnames invisible for players like Miriel, but it suits me perfectly :3

This. "Hiding" the surname sounds like a win/win.

I'll have to give the second name some thought before I pick one. I'm also very used to using single names for things games and forums. It'll be weird but I'll cope. :choc2:

*Devore*
05-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I can't really think of a name that goes with *Devore* that doesn't make it sound common and boring. Although I guess I could try *De Vore*, but thinking about it, they wouldn't let me use *'s would they.

Rostum
05-19-2010, 12:48 PM
For those of you who have already settled on a name, share! I want to know. :)

What, so you can steal them?! :mad2:

Loony BoB
05-19-2010, 01:57 PM
I'd prefer they just allow spaces in names, personally. But yes, I shall be gunning for Loony BoB to not be taken. And I'm very interested in whether it has to be Loony Bob or if I can have the second capital B. Can anyone confirm? Mcawesome would be weird, too. It's a little odd without the capital A. I hope they allow for this sort of thing.

EDIT: I know this might sound kind of obvious, but have you considered Eleni Miriel, or Miriel Eleni?

The one thing I dislike the most about this is the thought of having to type in both fore and surname into a chat thing. I hope there are ways around that at least! :p

Ouch!
05-19-2010, 07:44 PM
The one thing I dislike the most about this is the thought of having to type in both fore and surname into a chat thing. I hope there are ways around that at least! :p
They've already acknowledged that concern and are apparently in the process of finding a superior alternative.

Loony BoB
05-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Awesome. I hope they're also allowing two letters in the second name to allow for McAwesome and DeVille and AlBhed.

And BoB

Del Murder
05-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Maybe everyone from EoFF should all have the last name McAwesome so we can spot each other easily. Except Ome Cutecup, of course.

Loony BoB
05-19-2010, 08:22 PM
My last name is definitely going to be BoB. :p

KentaRawr!
05-19-2010, 09:18 PM
I've already decided on using my two FFXI names as my name. I'll be Ocin Friem. Doesn't it just roll off the tongue?

Loony BoB
05-19-2010, 09:23 PM
How would you pronounce Ocin?

Miriel
05-19-2010, 10:14 PM
EDIT: I know this might sound kind of obvious, but have you considered Eleni Miriel, or Miriel Eleni?

Noo noooo! That's awful! And you know what they say, never trust a man with two first names.

Loony BoB
05-19-2010, 10:59 PM
They say that? xD Oh well. Just a thought!

Rostum
05-20-2010, 12:47 AM
I've already decided on using my two FFXI names as my name. I'll be Ocin Friem. Doesn't it just roll off the tongue?

That does sound pretty cool. Hopefully most will keep their names short.

Noo noooo! That's awful! And you know what they say, never trust a man with two first names.

Well I thought the idea was good. :( Nice effort, BoBpants.

Miriel
05-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Not really into randomly combining two different names and passing it off as one name. That would be like seeing people walk around as Omecle Ouch or Arwen Galadriel. Then it's not really a first name and a last name, just two different names stuck together.

They say that? xD Oh well. Just a thought!

I think it's a quote from Talladega Nights. :p

Loony BoB
05-20-2010, 10:17 AM
My name will sort-of be two first names, but only in that some people call me Loony and some people call me BoB. Really, they combine quite well, so I'm lucky. Maybe you could go anagram or reverse. Eleni Leirim. Miriel Leirim. Miriel Inele. Eleni Inele... okay, that one sucks. xD I don't know. I'm sure you'll find something. If your actual surname is common for a Korean surname you could always go with that (I say common on the assumption that you don't want random people tracing you down very easily online).

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I have a bunch of character names in my head, most of them have a last names anyways, some even have middle names. :D

Jessweeee♪
05-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Apparently Eoff is a common last name.

Miriel
05-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Is your's gonna be Jess Weeeeee?? :p

Del Murder
05-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Naw, Jessweeee McAwesome. It works for anyone!

In all seriousness if we are allowed one letter first names then I will just be T Money. :D

Ouch!
05-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Probably a three letter minimum, I'm guessing.

Del Murder
05-20-2010, 09:40 PM
McAwesome it is then.

Jessweeee♪
05-20-2010, 10:19 PM
I'll probably have some pretentious latin name xD

Ouch!
05-20-2010, 10:19 PM
You (Murder) should be Dollah Billz.

Alternatively: Del Money.

Del Murder
05-20-2010, 10:38 PM
I'll probably have some pretentious latin name xD
This is what I fear most about it. The onslaught of unpronounceable pretentious RP names. I could only imagine what Bley's name would be if he played. *shudder*

Del Money has a nice ring to it...

Miriel
05-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I think there's gonna be a ton of titles like Sir and Lady running around. Maybe I'll go with that.

Sir Pantsalot

And be a character that never wears pants.

Del Murder
05-21-2010, 02:40 AM
I think we have a winner.

Jessweeee♪
05-21-2010, 03:03 AM
I am...Miss Lady!

Loony BoB
05-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Someday you'll meet Mister Man! And you can say "Hello Mister Man! Whatcha doing? Why? Why? Why? Okay I love you buhbye!"

I miss Animaniacs.

Roogle
05-22-2010, 09:46 AM
I am certainly intrigued by the process of having a first name and a last name in a video game. The only time that I had to create a last name for a character was for an actual role-playing game with dice played over Internet Relay Chat.

I think that this is a good move, but I can see how a lot of people would find it difficult to come up with a full name. I doubt that I would name my character Roogle if we are required to come up with names that suit the world.

Skyblade
05-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Guild Wars used a dual-name system. I just ran around as Sir Skyblade in that one. But I have considered some last names.

Since it vastly decreases that chances of another player choosing your exact name (thus freeing up more availible names), I am all for it.

Jessweeee♪
05-25-2010, 05:45 AM
Perhaps I will be Jesswee Lemon. I'm having fun thinking of names!

Mirage
05-25-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm fine with this. I think they'll probably make it possible to hide last names, only for them to pop up when you're like sending a whisper, or when there's two people with the same first names in a chat. Well, I hope they'll do that anyway.

Loony BoB
05-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Queue a hundred people walking around with "Sir" as their name.

Del Murder
05-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Ahaha that'd be golden.

Miriel
05-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Queue a hundred people walking around with "Sir" as their name.

Oh my god. That would be so amazing. xD

Loony BoB
05-26-2010, 09:08 AM
"Excuse me, Sir..."

"Yes?" "What is it?" "Huh?" "Eh?" "Yeah?" "???" "Hmm?" "What?" "Not now" "(I Don't Speak English)" "Who, me?" "I'm assuming you're talking to one of the other Sirs. :S"

Rostum
05-26-2010, 01:05 PM
I expect to see a lot of English players with really complicated Japanese names and Japanese players with really basic English names.

Loony BoB
05-26-2010, 01:06 PM
:D Probably.

Jessweeee♪
05-27-2010, 06:21 AM
My first character's name ever was Taeko. And then it was the pretentious latin one. And then I had to stop playing. xD

It's funny 'cause the Latin one came out sounding like a pokémon name xD

Jiro
05-27-2010, 03:02 PM
It will be really weird to have NPCs use your full name repeatedly (if that's the case). It'll be interesting to see how well this is implemented, I fear a lot of backlash. Even though, really, it isn't too big a deal.

Jessweeee♪
05-27-2010, 08:26 PM
And then John Freeman said to Gordon Freeman LOOK OUT BROOOOO

Renmiri
05-28-2010, 04:33 AM
Second Life has first and last name, but to make it even suckier, you can't chose your last name !

KentaRawr!
05-29-2010, 08:44 PM
How would you pronounce Ocin?

Late response to this, but it's Nico backwards, so it'll be like Okeen. But, of course, everyone's going to pronounce it Osin. :p

Del Murder
05-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Nico pronounced backwards is Okyne.

Ouch!
05-30-2010, 07:59 PM
OKEEN, MY CUZIN!

Jiro
05-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Nico pronounced backwards is Okyne.

Only if you pronounce "Nico" as "nai-ko"

Loony BoB
05-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Naiko. Just do it in Japanese?

EDIT: It's also an anagram of Nokia. This is important, relevant information.

KentaRawr!
06-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Ouch has the right idea of how it's pronounced. :p So many people have made that joke.