PDA

View Full Version : Nooooooo Facebook!!

Rodarian
05-19-2010, 05:37 PM
:shock:
The Pakistani High Court has implemented a ban on facebook till May 30th in opposition against tmmw's Draw The Prophet Day (PBUH)
Telecom has restricted all access to the website for this duration

Now I am in complete support against such blatant stupidity of such an event and the people who posted such a thing are asking for it. but its bit harsh to extend for that long...

I wonder how will most of the us face book user here will do at this point!

My aunt even called my mum in Toronto to access her face-book and freeze Fairy Land apps!!

I wonder what was the world like with out social networking sites like that... Oh wait I have you guys to keep me company!!

Also I guess work efficiency will increase here!

Shoeberto
05-19-2010, 05:39 PM
They're doing a national ban? Geeze. That seems like a bit of an overreaction. If people don't want to see it, they just shouldn't go on the site for a few days. I don't think the government should be completely restricting access. That seems silly.

Quindiana Jones
05-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I am pre-emptively stating that I agree with MILF on this topic.

Madame Adequate
05-19-2010, 05:54 PM
I am pre-emptively stating that I agree with MILF on this topic.

Hahaha xD

This may be a counterproductive overreaction. I doubt many people would have a reaction other than being angry, but conversely by shutting down Facebook in the country, they only turn people against them. People have their religious sensibilities, but we care about convenience a lot more.

Cleyra
05-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Considering the background of the country, this is to be quite expected. To the people, Muhammad is a very symbolic and religious symbol and for someone to joke about his image on facebook is taboo. The image of Muhammad is scared and is not supposed to be depicted in anyway. Its very insulting to this culture.

Do not get me wrong. This is a bit extreme and I wouldn't approve of it, but I do not live in Pakistan and their political and governmental structure is far different from our own. A lot of people probably support this kind of punishment, while some probably don't.

Hollycat
05-19-2010, 07:07 PM
anyone who supports da ban hates me...
I made a face book thread

Brunettepudding
05-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Considering the background of the country, this is to be quite expected. To the people, Muhammad is a very symbolic and religious symbol and for someone to joke about his image on facebook is taboo. The image of Muhammad is scared and is not supposed to be depicted in anyway. Its very insulting to this culture.

Do not get me wrong. This is a bit extreme and I wouldn't approve of it, but I do not live in Pakistan and their political and governmental structure is far different from our own. A lot of people probably support this kind of punishment, while some probably don't.
This.

Since the majority of us aren't used to their government, it seems over the top, but to them, it may just be an annoyance.
I'd go crazy, to say the least.

Hot Shot
05-19-2010, 07:20 PM
They're doing a national ban? Geeze. That seems like a bit of an overreaction. If people don't want to see it, they just shouldn't go on the site for a few days. I don't think the government should be completely restricting access. That seems silly.
It's not a case of people not wanting to see it. It is Haram (sinful) to depict the Prophet Muhammed and, seeing as Pakistan is an Islamic Nation, it is only right that would ban facebook for that day. If anything, I think this is a complete underreaction because it is inadvertedly disrespecting and mocking their religion.

Breine
05-19-2010, 08:09 PM
That sucks.

China has banned and unbanned facebook up to several times now too.

rubah
05-19-2010, 08:11 PM
theocracy ftl.

Madame Adequate
05-19-2010, 08:38 PM
It's not a case of people not wanting to see it. It is Haram (sinful) to depict the Prophet Muhammed and, seeing as Pakistan is an Islamic Nation, it is only right that would ban facebook for that day. If anything, I think this is a complete underreaction because it is inadvertedly disrespecting and mocking their religion.

How is it right to put your fingers in your ears and go "NAH-NAH-NAH-NAH-NAH-NAAHHH, I'M NOT LISTENING!" when someone says something you don't like? :confused: I mean it's better than "I will kill you for saying that" but it's still pants-on-head retarded.

Mirage
05-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Proxy that mother.

Shlup
05-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Couldn't they just, like... warn everyone? I mean jeez wtf. Way to make me feel spoiled with all of my sweet American freedoms, Pakistan. Sorry about your butthurt.

Jessweeee♪
05-19-2010, 10:23 PM
theocracy ftl.

If FFX has taught me anything this is true :(

rubah
05-19-2010, 10:27 PM
praise yevon!
*blitzball bow*

Rad Bromance
05-19-2010, 11:27 PM
That's hilarious.

Ah, Pakistan, you've brought my so very much laughter in the last three years. Never change. :heart:

Old Manus
05-20-2010, 12:12 AM
:lol: Oh Islam, you so crazy. Don't you see that it is because of this :bou::bou::bou::bou: you always pull at the mere mention of your dogma from a secular source that people do these things?

seeing as Pakistan is an Islamic Nation, it is only right that would ban facebook for that day. If anything, I think this is a complete underreaction because it is inadvertedly disrespecting and mocking their religion.Then what the hell would be a proper reaction?

Cuchulainn
05-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Why are people shocked?

OMG LETS PISS OFF MUSLIMS

MUSLIMS REACT

OMG LOOK AT WHAT THE MUSLIMS ARE DOING

Laddy
05-20-2010, 03:06 AM
Noo! That's not fair. I can't got without my daily Murtaza.

Rad Bromance
05-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Why are people shocked?

MUSLIMS REACT

Just think if Christians banned everything that intentionally offended them...

Meat Puppet
05-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Why are people shocked?

MUSLIMS REACT

Sgt. Slaughter, why are you so sensitive about this? They’d probably just as soon as kill you for being born the way you are.

And no, by “they” I don’t mean all Muslims, and you know it. I mean the ones who say that Europe (and all of Europe, you included) will pay with its blood because some guy drew a cartoon once.

And I’m sorry, Rod and everyone else who is affected by this without deserving it, but, to me, there’s a lot more meaning to it than just drawing a cartoon to piss you off. Plus... we didn’t shut Facebook down for you. Some... wait, never mind that was a bad analogy that I was working on.

What I’m trying to say is whoops wrong forum.

Citizen Bleys
05-20-2010, 12:25 PM
pants-on-head retarded.

Hux, you are a prince.

Cuchulainn
05-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Why are people shocked?

MUSLIMS REACT

Sgt. Slaughter, why are you so sensitive about this? They’d probably just as soon as kill you for being born the way you are. .

I really don't have a clue. It just has. People have gone full circle now about this & can't seem to see the potential chaos that could follow. A lot of it is the blind innocents led by the antagonistic few under the guise of freedom. People need to look at themselves a bit.

Yours

LIEUTENANT SLAUGHTER (I got a field commission).

Um, read your history books. This is not everything, this is regarding ONE Prophet who happens to be their focal Prophet.

~*~Celes~*~
05-20-2010, 03:26 PM
I heard this morning on the news. Also Youtube is banned for you now, apparently.

Rad Bromance
05-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Why are people shocked?

MUSLIMS REACT

Sgt. Slaughter, why are you so sensitive about this? They’d probably just as soon as kill you for being born the way you are. .

I really don't have a clue. It just has. People have gone full circle now about this & can't seem to see the potential chaos that could follow. A lot of it is the blind innocents led by the antagonistic few under the guise of freedom. People need to look at themselves a bit.

Yours

Um, read your history books. This is not everything, this is regarding ONE Prophet who happens to be their focal Prophet.
I'm talking ABOUT THE PRESENT, 20 SMURFING 10. Jesus Christ.

And again, look around...maybe it's not the same there in Ireland, but we are also in the United States, a predominantly Christian nation, and Jesus is the messiah, even more important than Elijah Muhammad is in Islam I'd say to Christians, and he's the subject of mockery and sillyness quite often here, but I don't see our government banning South Park and San Francisco's Sexy Jesus pageant.

It's retarded to ban an entire freaking social networking website over something a particular group doesn't agree with being demonstrated on it that's doing nothing to damage anyone's reputation, finances, or physical well being, even if they are the majority. Nothing anyone says is going to change my mind on this. :D

Cuchulainn
05-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Why are people shocked?

MUSLIMS REACT

Yours

And again, look around...maybe it's not the same there in Ireland, but we are also in the United States, a predominantly Christian nation, and Jesus is the messiah, even more important than Elijah Muhammad is in Islam I'd say to Christians, and he's the subject of mockery and sillyness quite often here, but I don't see our government banning South Park and San Francisco's Sexy Jesus pageant.

It's retarded to ban an entire freaking social networking website over something a particular group doesn't agree with being demonstrated on it that's doing nothing to damage anyone's reputation, finances, or physical well being, even if they are the majority. Nothing anyone says is going to change my mind on this. :D

You only want to include 'RIGHT NOW' in debates? Idiotic but ok, Holocaust Denial is a criminal offense in Germany & Austria.

Rad Bromance
05-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Why are people shocked?

MUSLIMS REACT

Yours

You only want to include 'RIGHT NOW' in debates? Idiotic but ok, Holocaust Denial is a criminal offense in Germany & Austria.
No, now you're taking me out of context. The event we're talking about is right now, dealing with Pakistan, Islam and Facebook, not anything Christianity and Islam did before we were all alive.

But explaining and debating anything with you is pointless as you seem to just read a portion of it, and rather than discussing it just call the person you're quoting an idiot, so I'll just be ignoring you hence forth. :D

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-20-2010, 06:24 PM
You are also ignoring the fact that Christianity is deeply entrenched into Western society. The fact is our concept of freedom of expression has always been juxtaposed with Christianity, in other words both co-existed in the same socio-cultural environment (and it is highly likely that they have been mutually informing one another), that Christianity will take criticism a lot differently than say the Islamic religion would in a country that does not share the same history nor is freedom of expression viewed as an unalienable right.

Rad Bromance
05-20-2010, 07:34 PM
You are also ignoring the fact that Christianity is deeply entrenched into Western society. The fact is our concept of freedom of expression has always been juxtaposed with Christianity, in other words both co-existed in the same socio-cultural environment (and it is highly likely that they have been mutually informing one another), that Christianity will take criticism a lot differently than say the Islamic religion would in a country that does not share the same history nor is freedom of expression viewed as an unalienable right.
I'm not ignoring that, in fact that's my point; what Pakistan is doing is silly and unreasonable.

Much like the Ugandan law about putting Homosexuals to death is silly and unreasonable, and laws that say a woman getting raped is her own fault are silly and unreasonable.

Not that I'm equating those to the Facebook thing (although that demonstrates a frightening restriction on freedom of speech in their country), and it's fine if you disagree, but I have no problem being politically incorrect when judging another nation's civil liberties, or lack thereof.

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-20-2010, 07:54 PM
My point was more of why Christianity in the West puts up with such criticism whereas Islam in Pakistan does not. I wasn't saying that it was right or wrong, I was just giving a likely reason as to why Christian groups don't have such reactions when mocked or criticized.

Cuchulainn
05-20-2010, 08:40 PM
so I'll just be ignoring you hence forth. :D

well you just ruined an otherwise pleasent evening.

Meat Puppet
05-21-2010, 02:14 AM

Yours

Well, good fellow, I know you have seen your fair share of conflict and troubles, so I certainly wouldn’t judge that you don’t know what you’re talking about, but to try and get you to understand how some of us feel about this... Well, I’ll be going over covered ground, but I’ll do it anyway just because I like to argue.

Okay, so we have two people: Huxley, and, let’s say, god what is a stereotypical Muslim name... Atfah Huseem Abdul Hameed Halaal bin Kebab bin Machmad, who we will call Tim for short.

OK, Huxley is... whatever the hell Huxley is, I don’t actually know what he is to be honest, but I know he holds free speech close to his heart. And on the other hand, Tim is a Radical Muslim. Now, who am I to judge how fervent each of these people are to their causes, but for the sake of argument, let’s say that blasphemy onto Huxley’s ideals or Tim’s religion result in equal... trauma or whatever.

So let’s start a computer simulation.

Tim and his friends like to get to get together and practice free speech by preaching death onto everyone who is not them. They make it quite clear that they are more than an actual group of buddies passing the time by busting the balls of other countries, and instead make themselves look more like a dangerous cult. They also film it for intimidation, and use their freedoms to spread it on the internet. Huxley is aware of this, and, he does feel a little upset about their actions, but to silence them would go against his ethics, so he fully supports their right to free speech. He doesn’t even so much as voice a private opinion on these grotesque, public masses.

OK, so Tim and his friends keep up their good work. Then, one of Huxley’s friends, decides to use his own free speech to retaliate. Does he threaten to kill them (and in some cases, actually kill them), like these people do? No, he draws a cartoon. Huxley’s friend gets murdered for this cartoon.
Some of Huxley’s friends get outraged by this, so how do they seek revenge? Killing Muslims, right? No, they also draw a cartoon. However, because of what happened in the past, some of Huxley’s friends... let’s say, daddies, censor them to keep them safe and snug.

Now, Tim and his friends are quite upset about this all, no doubt, given the blasphemy in the subject of the cartoon. They decide to use their freedom of speech to declare death on the people whose freedom was stifled, regardless of the fact that they never got anything done about it.

So here we are, say, and let’s pretend that Huxley and his friends are just as upset about this infringement on freedom as Tim and his buddies were about the cartoon. So, what does Huxley and his friends do? Would it be a good idea to turn the other cheek? Perhaps. But isn’t there a time when one should defend one’s ideals? Maybe this is a good time. Maybe it would even be understandable if Huxley and his friends sought vengeance by declaring war and death on Tim and his friends... kind of an equal retaliation for an equal offense, right? Well, instead of doing that, Huxley tells his friends to tell their friends to tell their friends, and so on and so forth, to organize an event where they all draw a picture to exercise their freedom of speech, the same freedom of speech that tim and his mates use to declare death on Huxley and his mates.

So they do. They all do! And there is much commotion because of a cartoon. Much more than the commotion caused by Tim’s death threats that he flaunted in public, despite the fact that Tim’s crowd outweighs Huxley’s. And how does Tim react? Well, he beheads Huxley, of course!

Now, enter you. Lt. Slaughter, a casual observer from the planet, say... KVR667D2S5/2G. You have a somewhat understanding of humanity and their machinations. You observe the actions between the two groups. Who would you say: overreacted? was unjust? was peaceful in their protest? was hypocritical?

Few things: I know this isn’t an accurate representation of events.
And
Sorry to Rod and any other Moderate Muslims who I have offended. I have a few moderate muslim friends and even reformed muslim friends (who participated in draw Muhammad Day), and it is not my intention to be so vile toward your religion. Normally, I respect everyone’s right to religion and to practice it how they choose it. I mean, I get pissed off by Creationist Christians, and I criticize them often, but I never say they shouldn’t be allowed to do what they do.
It’s unfortunate that you have to be in proximity of Radical Islam, because you are good, reasonable people. But if you could find a way to understand that the explicit reasons for our reaction were not to harm you, perhaps you could find a way to forgive me. I know it’s a lot to ask... like if I threw a rock at your friend and it ricocheted off his head and hit you... well, it would be more accurate to say I criticized the way your backward cousin treated people and my words landed upon your ears... but let’s not get into that.

I might have left out words or passages that I originally envisioned to be in this post, and if I did, I apologize for not proof reading. I’m a little too embarrassed to proof read it so bear with me here

Oh and sorry huxley for using you as a model and if I misinterpreted you in any way. You just seemed like an archetype for this kind of character, so I thought it was a good choice

Cuchulainn
05-21-2010, 02:44 AM
I understand...ALL of that. I get it. People went off in tangents in thd other thread that made me depart from discussion, especially War Angel who is basically a religious biggot.

You all need to understand I'm not totally against the drawing of a prophet, that was never my point. My pointr was always against the drawing of a prophet for the sole purpose of anti-Islam flag waving. If it was for comedic purposes or artistic purposes or had a deeper meaning than pissing off Musims then fine.

Secondly, I've no problems with people doing things to annoy militant extremist terrorists. You can knock yourselves out, I'll even help. This isn't that though is it. This is the artistic equivalent of what the German's did to villages that had Partisans killing German troops. They destroyed the whole village, innocent & guilty alike. Thisa is NOT just deliberately offending Terrorists it's deliberately offending Islam as a whole. It's just not needed in my opinion.

But thank you for being the only person capable of explaining the othert side without veiled Racism, Elitism or a I-know-all-i-am-right-even-though-i'm-only-22-and-whilst-i'm-undoubtedly-smart-I'm-still-a-naive-little-boy.

I've lived through a guerilla war, I've seen & donme things I'm sure no one else here has. I like to think that whilst I do not have the education you lot have I'm clued in to things like this & an an in built mechanism as to what is acceptable protest & what can and will cost lives needlessly. There's a right & wrong way to do things and right now I'm noticing a distinct anti-Islam fervour growing in the west the like of which I haven't seen since the anti-semetic fervour that existed throughout Europe up until the Second World War.

Old Manus
05-21-2010, 10:12 AM
controversial

Cyric
05-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Awww...I guess people are going to have to start talking to people with their mouths.

rubah
05-21-2010, 10:50 AM
is the problem with all trolls (being what these prophet drawers are, essentially) or just these?

Loony BoB
05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Trying to figure out which is the bigger overreaction. The Pakistani government closing down Facebook, or the public freaking out over the lack of Facebook access.

Rodarian
05-21-2010, 08:49 PM

Yours

Well, good fellow, I know you have seen your fair share of conflict and troubles, so I certainly wouldn’t judge that you don’t know what you’re talking about, but to try and get you to understand how some of us feel about this... Well, I’ll be going over covered ground, but I’ll do it anyway just because I like to argue.

Okay, so we have two people: Huxley, and, let’s say, god what is a stereotypical Muslim name... Atfah Huseem Abdul Hameed Halaal bin Kebab bin Machmad, who we will call Tim for short.

OK, Huxley is... whatever the hell Huxley is, I don’t actually know what he is to be honest, but I know he holds free speech close to his heart. And on the other hand, Tim is a Radical Muslim. Now, who am I to judge how fervent each of these people are to their causes, but for the sake of argument, let’s say that blasphemy onto Huxley’s ideals or Tim’s religion result in equal... trauma or whatever.

So let’s start a computer simulation.

Tim and his friends like to get to get together and practice free speech by preaching death onto everyone who is not them. They make it quite clear that they are more than an actual group of buddies passing the time by busting the balls of other countries, and instead make themselves look more like a dangerous cult. They also film it for intimidation, and use their freedoms to spread it on the internet. Huxley is aware of this, and, he does feel a little upset about their actions, but to silence them would go against his ethics, so he fully supports their right to free speech. He doesn’t even so much as voice a private opinion on these grotesque, public masses.

OK, so Tim and his friends keep up their good work. Then, one of Huxley’s friends, decides to use his own free speech to retaliate. Does he threaten to kill them (and in some cases, actually kill them), like these people do? No, he draws a cartoon. Huxley’s friend gets murdered for this cartoon.
Some of Huxley’s friends get outraged by this, so how do they seek revenge? Killing Muslims, right? No, they also draw a cartoon. However, because of what happened in the past, some of Huxley’s friends... let’s say, daddies, censor them to keep them safe and snug.

Now, Tim and his friends are quite upset about this all, no doubt, given the blasphemy in the subject of the cartoon. They decide to use their freedom of speech to declare death on the people whose freedom was stifled, regardless of the fact that they never got anything done about it.

So here we are, say, and let’s pretend that Huxley and his friends are just as upset about this infringement on freedom as Tim and his buddies were about the cartoon. So, what does Huxley and his friends do? Would it be a good idea to turn the other cheek? Perhaps. But isn’t there a time when one should defend one’s ideals? Maybe this is a good time. Maybe it would even be understandable if Huxley and his friends sought vengeance by declaring war and death on Tim and his friends... kind of an equal retaliation for an equal offense, right? Well, instead of doing that, Huxley tells his friends to tell their friends to tell their friends, and so on and so forth, to organize an event where they all draw a picture to exercise their freedom of speech, the same freedom of speech that tim and his mates use to declare death on Huxley and his mates.

So they do. They all do! And there is much commotion because of a cartoon. Much more than the commotion caused by Tim’s death threats that he flaunted in public, despite the fact that Tim’s crowd outweighs Huxley’s. And how does Tim react? Well, he beheads Huxley, of course!

Now, enter you. Lt. Slaughter, a casual observer from the planet, say... KVR667D2S5/2G. You have a somewhat understanding of humanity and their machinations. You observe the actions between the two groups. Who would you say: overreacted? was unjust? was peaceful in their protest? was hypocritical?

Few things: I know this isn’t an accurate representation of events.
And
Sorry to Rod and any other Moderate Muslims who I have offended. I have a few moderate muslim friends and even reformed muslim friends (who participated in draw Muhammad Day), and it is not my intention to be so vile toward your religion. Normally, I respect everyone’s right to religion and to practice it how they choose it. I mean, I get pissed off by Creationist Christians, and I criticize them often, but I never say they shouldn’t be allowed to do what they do.
It’s unfortunate that you have to be in proximity of Radical Islam, because you are good, reasonable people. But if you could find a way to understand that the explicit reasons for our reaction were not to harm you, perhaps you could find a way to forgive me. I know it’s a lot to ask... like if I threw a rock at your friend and it ricocheted off his head and hit you... well, it would be more accurate to say I criticized the way your backward cousin treated people and my words landed upon your ears... but let’s not get into that.

I might have left out words or passages that I originally envisioned to be in this post, and if I did, I apologize for not proof reading. I’m a little too embarrassed to proof read it so bear with me here

Oh and sorry huxley for using you as a model and if I misinterpreted you in any way. You just seemed like an archetype for this kind of character, so I thought it was a good choice

None taken... Freedom of Speech is a tricky thing....

Basically for me that Extremist and 'Freedomist' leaders are bunch of morons who just don't know how to play nice to one another....

Ragebrain The Enraged
05-21-2010, 09:05 PM
everybody of all religions and races should just sit on the beach together and chill. :D

Madame Adequate
05-22-2010, 01:43 PM

Misrepresented? You couldn't have painted me in a more positive light :jess:

Rodarian
05-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Update:

Rumor has it that The Stupid Government may ban facebook completely...

Before I supported it.. only for a few days... But to ban it forever is insane!

For crap sake if those stupid protest are in a huff.. Delete your account... There are far worse things happening on this earth than have a day to draw...

Grrr.. Yesterday I downloaded a proxy software override so I could access facebook..But now it doesn't work anymore.. I suspect its the stupid government doing to block everything...

Geez this country blows so much.. But I'm stuck here right now cause of my job contract... There are certain aspects which makes this place liveable...

But should this country turn back into a Zia Ul Haq regime I am so going back to Toronto... And I'll start saying that its my own native land and not Pakiland! :P

Grr I'm am royally pissed off!! :mad2: