PDA

View Full Version : Underated: Thy name is Microsoft Vista.

MJN SEIFER
05-19-2010, 11:11 PM
With the coming of Windows 7 many people have put Vista behind them now (I haven't got 7 yet). Some people didn't even bother with Vista, having heard the bad press that surounded it, and simply stuck with Windows XP (also a great Windows) - for most people Vista has become synonomus with glitches, slowdowns, and all that is wrong with Windows - some even listed along side the abomination that was Windows Me, which is both unfair and an exageration.

I own Vista, and it has got to be the BEST Windows System I have used so far (with Windows XP following close behind) it looks brilliant, has a nice future-ish look to it, is incredibly fast (most of what takes ages on other systems - including XP now goes like *snaps fingers* "that!") it has an incredibly alert virus control (more on that in a bit) and is so far the safest computer I have. It also just... looks cool.

I can understand people thinking otherwise, because they (or friends of their's) previously perchased Vista when it first came out and experienced the opposite of what I just described; bad cases of slowdown, high risk of viruses, and many other things that every self respecting PC User hates. However what people don't seam to realize even today is that there are actually TWO Windows Vistas.

Ok, not exactly, but the Vista that everyone hates is the made before it got upgraded and became a decent system, the only negative point to Vista comes in the form of its otherwise brilliant "Cancel or Allow" option - it thankfully doesn't happen enough times to be anoying, but my computer at least will freeze if you don't choose fast enough - thankfully this usually happens at start up, so I am very rarley caught off guard and at the end of the day I am far more greatful at the fact that I have an active protection on Vista - and at least it asks you what is good and what is bad - unlike Windows Me, which would simply try to guess, and more often than not; get it wrong.

I realize Vista has now been replaced by 7, which may be miles better even in the eyes of (one of?) Vista's (few?) only fan(s?), but I just wanted to get this off my chest, and see how you all felt about Vista.

Rad Bromance
05-19-2010, 11:25 PM
I hated Vista. It ran like crap on my system and there were no drivers (or I had to trick the OS into using drivers it didn't want to use) for much of my system's hardware. Now I have Windows 7 and it runs like a dream and everything installed with no intervention on my part, on the same exact system.

Rye
05-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Maybe I'm a computer retard, but I've never had any problem with Vista. It's been the most cooperative OS I've had - I've had less problems with it than I did on XP. My only complaint is that it's a space hog, which took my 120 GB HD down to 99 GBs, of which I have like, 15 left. Ahhhh!

Rad Bromance
05-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Maybe I'm a computer retard, but I've never had any problem with Vista. It's been the most cooperative OS I've had - I've had less problems with it than I did on XP. My only complaint is that it's a space hog, which took my 120 GB HD down to 99 GBs, of which I have like, 15 left. Ahhhh!
Maybe you just have a better computer than me then. :p

But yeah, Vista did take a ton of space, too. But it looks and feels far more secure than XP, I'll give it that.

Vista reminded me a lot of Windows Millennium. It was very poorly received even though it was very much like the most popular OS right before it (Win98SE). Although comparing the two isn't really fair as Vista has never been that bad to me. :D

Meat Puppet
05-19-2010, 11:33 PM
I never thought Vista was terrible, but I wouldn’t say it’s the best Windows OS. Most of my issues with Vista actually aren’t with Visa as much as they are with, say, ATI or whatever they call themselves these days.

Quindiana Jones
05-19-2010, 11:44 PM
I can and often do quite happily roll around naked in Windows 7.

NorthernChaosGod
05-19-2010, 11:57 PM
You've talked a lot about doing all these things naked, but I've never seen it. :doublecolbert:

Del Murder
05-20-2010, 12:07 AM
The UAC in Vista is annoying but I never had a problem with it otherwise.

Slothy
05-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Vista has had it's problems over the years, not the least of which being that it was and still is a resource hungry OS, but it runs fine for me. I don't even have issues with it being a system hog, largely because I have a 3.16GHz Core 2 Duo and 8GB's of RAM. The way I see it though, it works, all of my audio hardware and software run in it with low latency, and I can run any game worth playing so I have no reason to pay money for Windows 7. I probably will when I build a new computer in a year or two, but there's no reason to now.

Jings
05-20-2010, 12:44 AM
I don't think I'll ever get to decide for myself whether Vista was good or not. My current PC is XP and my new one, which I should be getting fairly soon, will be 7.

I only use it for gaming and surfing the web though, so if it cooperates in that respect then I'm happy.

Iceglow
05-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Vista isn't bad and though I now use 7, I didn't upgrade by choice my laptop died and this came with 7 on it. Though the space hogging process of Vista (and 7 and XP for that matter) is a problem the best way to control it is to utilize a seperate smaller partition for the OS alone. The reason why is that then the system cannot spread over the other drives and must compare and delete irrelevant updates once new ones are applied and many other things that it just doesn't do if it isn't forced to.

7 looks better (so long as you tweak settings somewhat) but otherwise theres not much difference than vista apart from sometimes (excluding games) I have trouble getting programs to install because of reverse compatability.

Mo-Nercy
05-20-2010, 01:18 AM
I still continue to use Vista now, though I will probably upgrade to 7 in the future, if only because of the reason that it looks better. I'm not a very techie guy, but still I've never noticed any glaring issues with Vista. In my experience, its goes just as good as XP.

This is also a pretty silly point to make, but I like the name 'Vista' more than XP and 7.

Citizen Bleys
05-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Did this thread really just happen? Unbelievable. Unbelievable. THERE IS NO GOD.

blackmage_nuke
05-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Vista is good but some of the automatic updates screw with it.

Pheesh
05-20-2010, 12:03 PM
I still run it, and I've never had any major problem with it. I'll probably get 7 and stick it on my desktop when I get enough money to build it, but I see no reason why I wouldn't keep vista on this laptop.

NorthernChaosGod
05-20-2010, 06:22 PM
People actually kept using Vista after it was released? :Oo:

rubah
05-20-2010, 08:00 PM
people are happy about vista?

I never used it much, but the goddamned thing would connect me to ethernet as soon as I booted, wait five minutes for me to get going on the internet and stuff, and then randomly decide it didn't want to connect, and the only way to get the connection back was to perform a series of voo-doo rites with the "Troubleshooting" and "Fix this problem!" dialogs.

oh, and it was kinda expensive

Momiji
05-20-2010, 08:20 PM
I never disliked Vista, really.

Windows 7 is just like Vista, only better in pretty much every way, though.

Jessweeee♪
05-20-2010, 09:43 PM
The only problem I had is when it was first released pretty much everything changed the theme back to basic. This only happens when I use illegal software now so I'm cool with it.

Baloki
05-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Don't you mean Windows 7 Release Candidate, code name "Vista"?

Also now we just need Unne to reply and this thread should be complete :p