PDA

View Full Version : Continent Map

Rostum
05-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Here's a newly released map of what we'll be able to explore come release.

Final Fantasy XIV -- Beta Test Version Screenshots, Img 2 of 33 (andriasang.com, 05.20.2010) (http://www.andriasang.com//e/galleries/2010/05/20/ffxiv/2132415212_full/)

We have what seems like four major cities, a few smaller ones and the empire to the north east corner of the map. We also got some more descriptions on the other two cities.

Ul'dah

"Everyone here is after something-fame, notoriety, power, money. Me? I'll have the whole bloody lot"
-self-made Lalafell and former Syndicate Member, Cicidoa Sosodoa

The bustling commercial hub of Ul'dah sits amid the desolate desert landscape of southern Aldenard. The city is organized strategically around the dome-shaped citadel at its center. Its towering fortifications and protective outer walls are visable for malms in all directions, and serve as a stark deterrent to would-be besiegers.

Vistors from every corner of Eorzea come to Ul'dah to partake in the city's famed recreation, most notably the fighting arenas and gambling halls. Ul'Dahn Culture is known for its affluence, and the wealth of the nation comes in large part from abundant mineral resources and prestigious clothcraft industry.

Historically, it is the sultan who claims sovereignty over U'dah, but true power is wielded by the Syndicate, an elite group of the most influential and richest members of society. Nald'thal is the patron deity of the city, and two great halls devoted to his two aspects, can be found in the eastern and western sections of the city.

Gridania

"Each tree, each shrub, each leaf, each blade of grass- we treat them as our own sons and daughters. And for that we loved by this wood"
-master conjurer and prophet, O-Guna-Por

In the eastern reaches of the Aldenard landmass, home to vast, dense woodlands and coursing rivers, lies the forest nation of Gridania. The cityscape is mosaic of labyrinthine waterways and great wooden structures, so gracefully constructed they seem a part of the surrounding environment.

The Gridania emphasis on natural harmony has led to its preeminence amoung the Eorzea's city-states in trades such as forestry, agriculture, carpentry and leatherworking. Gridania is also the home to the Wood Wailers, a militant band of polearm-wielding sentries charged with the protection of their homeland.

The favored goddess of the citizenry is Nophica, the Matron, but great faith is also placed in the wisdom of the Seedseers-young oracles who guide the nation based on the will of the forest's elementals.

Miriel
05-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Ahh, the map is so pretty! I like the sound of both cities.

Del Murder
05-20-2010, 04:28 PM
It looks like Africa, with Madagascar on the wrong side. :p

Ouch!
05-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't know where to start! They all sound so awesome!

Rostum
05-20-2010, 08:38 PM
It looks like Africa, with Madagascar on the wrong side. :p

You can't stop, can you?

Del Murder
05-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Can't stop what?

Rostum
05-21-2010, 12:41 AM
I don't know. I wanted to be involved and didn't have anything to say; you were supposed to play along. :mad2:

Loony BoB
05-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Am I right in saying that there are three starter cities and then one major city (hi Jeuno)? In other words, is this going to work pretty much the same as FFXI? I wonder. I was kind of hoping that there would be a little more to it than the same routine as last time. Still, I won't assume, I'm just speculating after all.