PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Pronounciations

Shorty
05-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Where I come from, we have a distinct way of mis-pronouncing words. There's actually a specific term for the ways Utahns warp the english language - "Utahnics". It involves one part drawl, one part laziness, one part vowel mix-up.

Example: "Or" is pronounced as "ar" and "ar" pronounced as "or".

Sample Utahnic pronunciation: "Morgery feeds
harses carn in the born." Or, my favorite: "Marmons who pray to the Lard."

We also say things like "mownan" for "mountain - missing the T entirely. "Melk" for "milk", etc.

Do you come from a place that slaps a drawl on their words, or twists them around in general? Do you yourself have an unusual way of pronouncing certain words, or do you know of someone who does?

Pheesh
05-20-2010, 05:40 PM
When I read those phrases it just sounds Irish.

I'm not sure, I suppose the way I pronounce everything would seem strange to you people, being from another country and all.

Jings
05-20-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure, I suppose the way I pronounce everything would seem strange to you people, being from another country and all.

We're not all from the same country :p

Edit: I think you were talking about people from Utah, I should absorb information before pouncing in and responding.

Pheesh
05-20-2010, 05:45 PM
O_O you aren't!?

I'm just too lazy to think of what words we say that would sound especially strange.

Rantz
05-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Well, I have a Swedish accent, so there are obviously a lot of characteristic pronunciations there. xD

I've been told I have a very special way of pronouncing words like "chocolate" and "occur", though. Something about having a weird click to my tongue or whatever. I tend to doubt the sanity of people who pick up on strange little things like that, though.

Mo-Nercy
05-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Aussies tend to leave out 'r' sounds in words or say it as if the word is spelt with an 'h' instead.

Park, mark, stark --> Pahk, mahk, stahk.
Which means for us the word 'source' is pronounced exactly the same as 'sauce'.

I once had a university tutor who had a particularly strong Aussie accent and she told us a story about a time she spoke at a conference in America and everyone mistook the word "today" for "to die". =]

Pheesh
05-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Hey...we do too. But see, I would have thought that all words with 'ar' translate to 'ah' in speech.

If there's anything, I would say that some Australians tend to have very nasally voices (I'm looking at you, Far North Queensland), which is both annoying to listen to and can make for some humorous conversations. As an example, if you were to hear one of these people say "How you going?" it'd sound like "Howya ga'an?"

Quindiana Jones
05-20-2010, 06:01 PM
The letter t only exists when I'm typing.

For example, bow and boat sound similar when I say them, except that the o sound in boat will end abruptly whereas bow carries it on a little.

Also, the phrase "who's he when he's not at home?". The only word that is pronounced as it is spelled is "when". For me, it's "'oo's 'e when 'e's no' a' ome?". xD

Shorty
05-20-2010, 06:02 PM
I've been told I have a very special way of pronouncing words like "chocolate" and "occur", though. Something about having a weird click to my tongue or whatever. I tend to doubt the sanity of people who pick up on strange little things like that, though.

Yeah, whoever said that is delusional. Everyone knows Swedes have a silly accent.

Mo-Nercy
05-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Hey...we do too. But see, I would have thought that all words with 'ar' translate to 'ah' in speech.

If there's anything, I would say that some Australians tend to have very nasally voices (I'm looking at you, Far North Queensland), which is both annoying to listen to and can make for some humorous conversations. As an example, if you were to hear one of these people say "How you going?" it'd sound like "Howya ga'an?"
And "Carn" for come on. I love that word. xD

Yeah, I guess words ending with 'er' and 'ar' tend to become 'ah'. I've heard that this 'r' phenomenon also occurs in Boston-American-English (or whatever it should be called).

NorthernChaosGod
05-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Nope, I'm from California and pronounce words correctly. :colbert:

Imperfectionist
05-20-2010, 06:42 PM
The letter t only exists when I'm typing.

For example, bow and boat sound similar when I say them, except that the o sound in boat will end abruptly whereas bow carries it on a little.

Also, the phrase "who's he when he's not at home?". The only word that is pronounced as it is spelled is "when". For me, it's "'oo's 'e when 'e's no' a' ome?". xD

Seriously, why weren't you born in London? XD

Bunny
05-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Whenever someone says "Warshington", I want to kill them with fire.

Momiji
05-20-2010, 08:30 PM
I make as much of a point of pronouncing words correctly as I do when it comes to spelling them correctly.

Breine
05-20-2010, 09:06 PM
While travelling I was told that my accent sounds American. Many people thought I was from the US before me actually telling them I'm from Denmark.

I'm pretty sure there's a Danish accent hiding in there somewhere, though.

NorthernChaosGod
05-20-2010, 09:31 PM
While travelling I was told that my accent sounds American. Many people thought I was from the US before me actually telling them I'm from Denmark.

I'm pretty sure there's a Danish accent hiding in there somewhere, though.

I would gladly share my country with you.

~*~Celes~*~
05-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Whenever someone says "Warshington", I want to kill them with fire.

Melissaur
05-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Well, I have a Swedish accent, so there are obviously a lot of characteristic pronunciations there. xD

Light my buns on fire and call me crazy! Rantzien sounds SO smexy!

Yar
05-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Ohioans have this retarded habit of adding an "r" to the word "wash" or any word with "wash" in it.

Then local vernacular has corrupted the names of many cities around here, like Versailles, Bellefontaine, Lima, Findlay, etc etc Get me out of here. :S

qwertysaur
05-20-2010, 11:23 PM
In New York a lot of people add a "aw" sound to a lot of random things. A sample would be the words York (Yawk) coffee (Cawfee), and chocolate (Chawcolate). :jess:

Rye
05-20-2010, 11:45 PM
In New York a lot of people add a "aw" sound to a lot of random things. A sample would be the words York (Yawk) coffee (Cawfee), and chocolate (Chawcolate). :jess:

This! Not to mention that t's often because d's.

"Warwdur" instead of water and such. My accent has come back with a vengence since I return to NY.

Jings
05-21-2010, 12:02 AM
I used to hate the New York accent. Until I talked to a nice New Yorker on the way to a Yankee's game when I was visiting. Now I love it! :D

I have a Scottish accent, so I butcher the English language in my own special way.

~*~Celes~*~
05-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Sometimes I say words oddly, like "about" because "abouwt". D:

Rye
05-21-2010, 12:27 AM
I used to hate the New York accent. Until I talked to a nice New Yorker on the way to a Yankee's game when I was visiting. Now I love it! :D

I have a Scottish accent, so I butcher the English language in my own special way.

:love:

blackmage_nuke
05-21-2010, 12:46 AM
I feel when an Australian accent is too strong its hard to understand and abit annoying to listen to. But when there is a light one it can be quite pleasant to the ears and whenever I try to speak with one I find that it uses less mouth muscles making it easier to speak.

slightly off topic: I pronounce the letters 'th' as an 'f' or sometimes a 'v' and almost everyone I know is against it.

Meat Puppet
05-21-2010, 12:48 AM
My Canadian ally says man so weird. Like, Mahn.

o_O
05-21-2010, 03:06 AM
I come from New Zealand, where people only speak in intonations of "bro."

Melissaur
05-21-2010, 03:52 AM
o_O is my favorite Kiwi <3

Pheesh
05-21-2010, 04:09 AM
The Kiwi accent is an incredibly funny one for us over here. No offence, brew.

o_O
05-21-2010, 04:16 AM

Oahhh ssssnot my fault I'm a Maori ow!

Pheesh
05-21-2010, 04:20 AM
I have a kiwi friend, and everytime he sounds mad I ask him if he wants me to 'cook hem some f***en eeggs bro?" ^_^ Needless to say he tries to end my life most times.

Levian
05-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Norwegians don't know the difference between v and w.

This is what, sadly, too many Norwegians sound like:
YouTube - this is norway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqdwQzmSHM)

I'm so endlessly embarassed whenever I hear a Norwegian fail at speaking English. Especially when they pronounce "Earth" as "Urt" like this guy. The soft sounds of the english language is just butchered by us stupid potato farmers. :/

I also love how that guy in the video claims that we invented the oil. xD

Melissaur
05-21-2010, 04:30 AM
Levian is my favorite Norwegian <3

NorthernChaosGod
05-21-2010, 04:33 AM

I'm so endlessly embarassed whenever I hear a Norwegian fail at speaking English. Especially when they pronounce "Earth" as "Urt" like this guy. The soft sounds of the english language is just butchered by us stupid potato farmers. :/

Hahahahahaha. That video is fucking brilliant.

I Took the Red Pill
05-21-2010, 04:43 AM
I want to crawl into the fetal position and die whenever someone says "BAG-UHLL" instead of "BAY-GUHLL".

just thinking about it seriously :crying2:

Bunny
05-21-2010, 04:45 AM
Norway seems like a nice place.

Beowulf
05-21-2010, 04:56 AM
Well, I'm from Jersey. That being said, though, I don't say "Joisey" or anything like that. I RAD-E-ATOR instead of RADE-E-ATOR. Radiator. *shrugs* Water. I say it funny, or so I'm told.

Meat Puppet
05-21-2010, 05:54 AM

Oahhh ssssnot my fault I'm a Maori ow!
YouTube - Guy shits himself on television. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJAEpj0hIAw)

I wish I could be someone’s favorite kiwi...

docta fizz
05-21-2010, 06:08 AM
looks like i'm the first north carolinian so here are the odd assortment of words I find funny
Hurrican instead of hurricane
pee-can instead of pecan (drives me batty)
we also have some problems with the word "you" it becomes "ja ex: widja = with you, didja = did you etc. occasionally you also becomes "ya" yall = you all. poor little you, just gets mangled all over the place.

Pheesh
05-21-2010, 06:10 AM
I say pee-can ^_^

docta fizz
05-21-2010, 06:40 AM
I say pee-can ^_^

are we talking about a nut or something you take on long road trips, one is correct the other is unforgiveable!!

Pheesh
05-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Nope, the nut. I'm not sure if all Australians do that or if it's just me.

Breine
05-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Danes have some of the same problems when speaking English - except it tends to sound like we have a mouth full of potatoes.

Loony BoB
05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
I never noticed you talking anything like that, Sarah! You always seemed to pronounce things okay, although obviously with your accent. Certainly never noticed anything similar to 'harses in the born'.

A lot of peole think that when I say 'did' I say 'dead'. Americans in particular.

Rye
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM

So if you think Norway is the capital of Sweden... you are WRONG!!!

Iceglow
05-21-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm sorry but I refute this one, you're american you still can't pronounce words properly, when calling someone an arsehole you should always pronounce the arse as ARSE not ASS it's not a donkey it's an arse. :jess:

I'm from North London and so lots of people tend to think I have a cockney accent. I would profess I don't but lots of people say I pronounce certain words in a complete cockney accent including those who live in London.

Madame Adequate
05-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Hahahahaha Londoners giving lectures on how to speak.

My accent changes depending on who I talk to, I dunno why it happens, but it does. I can override it if I wish to but it takes effort and I usually cba.

Which is good, because my default accent is fucking Leicester, which is one of the most horrendous sounding accents in the history of the world. I would rather sound French.

NorthernChaosGod
05-21-2010, 07:18 PM

I'm sorry but I refute this one, you're american you still can't pronounce words properly, when calling someone an arsehole you should always pronounce the arse as ARSE not ASS it's not a donkey it's an arse. :jess:

I'm from North London and so lots of people tend to think I have a cockney accent. I would profess I don't but lots of people say I pronounce certain words in a complete cockney accent including those who live in London.

That's a different word entirely, you Limey Brit. :colbert:

Rebellious Eagle
05-21-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm from New Jersey, so of course I pronounce everything strangely. Need I go on my Trenton rant again? :O

Rodarian
05-21-2010, 09:27 PM
My accent is Canadian neutral (whatever that means! XD) so i usually tend to pronounce things that is globally correct....

Although fro some strange reason I talk British when I'm super drunk! :beer:

NorthernChaosGod
05-21-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm from New Jersey, so of course I pronounce everything strangely. Need I go on my Trenton rant again? :O

I think you should, as long as you record an audio clip of it. :D

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-23-2010, 08:32 PM
I recently found out there is a mineral named "cummingtonite".

I'm not sure how to pronounce that, but it is interesting.

Bunny
05-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Exactly how it looks.