PDA

View Full Version : 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Sephex
05-20-2010, 10:08 PM
No thread after a week? I can't be the only one who picked this up around here. I wrote a review of it for the website I am a part of.

“3D Dot Game Heroes” – Video Game Review | Primary Ignition (http://www.primaryignition.com/2010/05/20/3d-dot-game-heroes-video-game-review/)

For those of you who don't want/too lazy to click the link, here are my quick thoughts.

*Dragon Quest and original Zelda combined. Borrows gameplay more from the latter. Doesn't bring anything new, but it's still cool.

*Cool sound track and loads of secrets.

*Style is very fun to look at and brings about a certain charm.

*Character editor requires a lot of patience, but it's really fun. You can also edit characters built in the game.

*Hit detection off. Some game mechanics remind me of old school gaming in a bad way.

*Full Life giant sword is a total game breaker.

*Worth a purchase if you are into these games.

Bolivar
05-20-2010, 11:01 PM
I watched my girl beat it, her reviews up too on GamingTarget.com

I do think this game deserves some points for originality. The whole concept of taking that old pixelated look and transplanting it into 3d, high definition, and then adding on nice effects like blurring out stuff out-of-focus/far away is just awesome. I could never have expected something like this coming, so I have to give Silicon/From points for that.

The fact that this game has the music to match makes it a real gem for me.

I'm looking forward to getting a full playthrough on this soon, but I got a final Killzone Trophy to unlock, as well as playing Dragon Quest V, ironically. Definitely gonna check this soon, and at $40 there's no reason for anyone with a PS3 to not get this.

black orb
05-21-2010, 02:16 AM
>>> The game look nice, but maybe the swords are, too big?..:luca:

Depression Moon
05-21-2010, 02:45 AM
i need this game

Skyblade
05-22-2010, 06:34 AM
>>> The game look nice, but maybe the swords are, too big?..:luca:

Only if you modify them that much. And really, even in its largest incarnation, it's not much bigger than the Biggoron's Sword from Oracle of Ages/Seasons (which were awesome games!).

Slothy
05-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Managed to talk my wife into letting me pick it up this morning, so at some point when it's not 6 a.m. I'll get it. Helps that it's only $40 too. I've been waiting for this game for a while so I'm feeling pretty psyched. At this rate I may never finish FFXIII though.

Yeargdribble
05-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I've had my eye on it for a while, but right now I'm so backlogged with games. Was trying to finish up GTA DLC when RDR came out. Already have MG2 ordered and that's only the recent stuff stacking up on the shelf. I told my wife I'd just wait a while on this one.

Of course... I wake up the other morning and she'd gone to the store early and picked up a copy for me. <3

I've only had a little time to play due to work, house projects and RDR, but it's a charming game. It's what I expected. Some of the complaints I'd heard (specifically from Jim Sterling) about it not giving you enough direction hold true, but it's true to its source material (and anyone who knows Sterling's history knows he didn't start gaming in the NES or even SNES era).

I think the ridiculous sword is perfect. Without it I don't think the mechanics would all carry as well into the current gaming zeitgeist. They worked back then, but people would consider them not fast paced enough now.

Slothy
05-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Well, I grabbed the game but my PS3 decided it needs to be serviced so I can't play it. You can imagine how happy I am right now.

I guess I'm off to call Sony's support line.

EDIT: I realize this is slightly of topic, but an update on getting my PS3 serviced:

For Canadian Consumers:

• We currently do not offer service on systems that are outside of the Warranty* period.

Screw you too Sony. I'll probably buy a new one and sell the old one, as soon as I can get FFXIII out of the damn disc drive myself and find a way to back up everything on the HDD. Hell if I'm going to pay $179 U.S. for them to send me a refurbished unit without my friends copy of FFXIII.

Anyway, go back to talking about 3D Dot Game Heroes. I'll have to enjoy it vicariously for now.

NeoCracker
05-22-2010, 07:26 PM
I made my guy Mr. Sunshine from Saints Row 2. :p

I just need to edit in his necklaces soon.

ljkkjlcm9
05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
My only problem is that when I went and saw a guide after almost beating it, I found out there are certain things that you can only do at certain times/points in the game. Beating a certain temple/dungeon makes it no longer available. So essentially I missed out on 50% of the game because I just went through doing the dungeons... which I think is stupid. Essentially if I want to experience everything the game has to offer, I will need to use a guide.

Otherwise a fine game, definitely worth the budget price.

Managed to talk my wife into letting me pick it up this morning, so at some point when it's not 6 a.m. I'll get it. Helps that it's only $40 too. I've been waiting for this game for a while so I'm feeling pretty psyched. At this rate I may never finish FFXIII though.

I've still only played 1.5 hours of FFXIII and it was one of the reasons that I bought a PS3 in the first place lol
I just need to find a time when I can play it without other games in the way. Right now though, my Wii is dominating my time with Monster Hunter Tri, and I have Mario Galaxy 2 in transit from Amazon.

THE JACKAL

Slothy
05-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Finally got to play it a bit yesterday and I'm loving this game so far, especially it's somewhat quirky sense of humour. It just seems to revel in being a retro throwback. It's everything I expected so far so I couldn't be happier.

I also have to say I loved running across the Demon's Souls references in it. I believe I had heard about them before but it completely slipped my mind. It made for a humorous surprise.

Del Murder
06-11-2010, 08:02 AM
I am so getting this game.

Dignified Pauper
06-11-2010, 01:42 PM
It's a pretty good game, and I love how they did sidequests that you can utterly miss. A real harken back to old school RPGs. I'm at the very end of the game now, and just sort of biding my time until I beat it.

theundeadhero
06-13-2010, 03:25 AM
I just heard about it two days ago and can't wait to pick it up next week.