PDA

View Full Version : Mm, that (tl - dr)

LunarWeaver
05-21-2010, 05:59 PM
What's your limit before you hit the ever present "tl; dr."? (For those in a cave, it means too long, didn't read.) A few paragraphs? Two sentences? Nonexistent? Let's face it, sometimes there are walls of text you want to skip or, at the very least, skim. Although I know some people read every word in topics they are interested in.

On a 2nd topic I can't help but shove in, have you ever typed a huge post only to not post it? Not even for tl; dr purposes, but just... because it happens. I for some reason do this a lot. I type and type and then move on. I don't start with that intention, though. I'm weird.

tl; dr: Was this post tl; dr?

Edit: I had no idea you guys filtered that into something else XD Someone might want to change that long ass title.

Old Manus
05-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Your post is probably the limit of my attention span for reading posts on EoFF

I didn't read all of it

EDIT: lol forums home

Lawr
05-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Unfunny word censor goes wrong. :'(

Psychotic
jesus christ you forums breaking motherfucker.

LunarWeaver
I didn't mean to! :mamu:

Psychotic
05-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Anywho, in response to the topic, it depends how interesting and engaging the text is. EoEO is unfortunately both boring and long-winded so I never read many posts in there :shobon: Summarise your feelings in two-three lines, people!

And for those of you who missed it, take a look at what this asshole did to EoFF:

Zeldy
05-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Hmmm like a few paragraphs, but it depends on the subject. Sometimes I'm in the mood to read it, sometimes I'm not!

LunarWeaver
05-21-2010, 06:16 PM
I can't help but find that rape a little funny. Sorry.

Necronopticous
05-21-2010, 06:16 PM
What is this thread about?

LunarWeaver
05-21-2010, 06:22 PM
It's supposed to be about the very first sentence in the very first paragraph in the very first post, but I've had to fix that to make sense.

tl; dr (without the space) was filtered by the forum into this: For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over -

I didn't know that.

That word was in the title, which was too long, and the forum broke because of it. That's why Psychotic is all up in my :bou::bou::bou::bou: about this. :aimkiss:

Shorty
05-21-2010, 06:39 PM
I can keep up with long posts / topics / articles if the paragraphs are spaced correctly. If everything is thrown together, sentance strung after sentance, I find it difficult to follow. So unless it's on a topic I'm really interested in, I probably won't read much more than a few sentances in if paragraphs aren't used properly.

It's easier on the eyes.

Beowulf
05-21-2010, 06:45 PM
It depends, really, on the topic. If it's someone explaining their situation and who needs help, fine, I can do that. If it's astrophysics, or something like that, I can read that nonstop. This thread was even fine, because it wasn't just "HEYYYYYYYYYYYY YOU GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYS" and such boring dribble over and over. So...really I suppose I can read most anything...

Freya
05-21-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't like massive blocks of texts. Some people don't know how to complete a paragraph. If it's longer but multiple paragraphs, i'm more likely to read it. If it's just a wall of text, well sorry I don't care THAT much.

Also yeah, I tend to do that kyle. Write some long ass thing out and then never post it. Sometimes it's just cause after I write it out it's like "eh... doesn't fit that well." or other times I had tabbed to something else before I was done and went back and lost my complete train of thought.

Brunettepudding
05-21-2010, 07:22 PM
I didn't even read all of that. To be honest, I usually skim around the first post until I get the point, and then reply.

NorthernChaosGod
05-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Depends on the subject mostly, if it's something I care about I'll usually read through everything.

Madame Adequate
05-21-2010, 08:09 PM
That's what you people get for being up yourselves and censoring a perfectly valid phrase :colbert:

Anyway yeah depends on the conversation and poster. I'll read a huge post written by some people because I enjoy something ineffable about their writing, or because I know they'll say something I find interesting. I will read through most of an EoEO thread easily because Paul is a preliterate savage. Steve is lucky if I can read three consecutive lines of his. I read NCG's posts long enough to find a way to insult him. I don't read anything written by the dutch, on general principle.

Cuchulainn
05-21-2010, 08:12 PM
What's your limit before you hit the...

I skipped the rest but I can assume you're talking about the how much :bou::bou::bou::bou: you'll take from someone before putting a bin liner over their face & beat them with sticks. I'd say I draw the line at the finger poke.

You're Welcome.

NorthernChaosGod
05-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I read NCG's posts long enough to find a way to insult him.

Fucking leprechaun. :doublecolbert:

Rebellious Eagle
05-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Most of the time, when people post intimidating giant blocks of text, I just skim. You know, so many threads to read, so little time. :/

Rodarian
05-21-2010, 09:18 PM
That's why Psychotic is all up in my :bou::bou::bou::bou: about this. :aimkiss:

I have a filthy mind... But I read that comment as something very differently! X_X

Rantz
05-21-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm not going to mention any names (like Iceglow), but run-on sentences and paragraphs longer than 4-5 lines are sure ways to make me skim or skip. :-)

qwertysaur
05-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow, at least when I break the forums I keep it to one thread so the rest of the forums stays happy and unbroken :aimkiss:

@Topic, when I get bored of the paragraph, I'll stop reading. Even if it means I stop mid word. :p

Yar
05-21-2010, 10:03 PM
In your post I made it to the ")"...

So yeah

Bunny
05-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Normally, anything more than two paragraphs gets skimmed over or ignored completely. However, it depends heavily on the person posting it. If I dislike the person's writing style or just dislike them in general, I won't read anything more than a sentence or two because I can typically understand the post. If I like the person, I'll read somewhere around four paragraphs.

More often than not, I skim the post or ignore it entirely.

Yar
05-21-2010, 10:10 PM
I tldr everything Bunny types

Tavrobel
05-21-2010, 10:38 PM
I like longer posts because it gives me something to read.

Clo
05-21-2010, 10:41 PM
As long as there are well spaced paragraphs, then I will read it. Paragraphs are a wonderful thing, and text walls are not fun.

Although,
I really don't like it
when people start new paragraphs
before a sentence has ended,
or after only one sentence.
It seems to happen a lot in forums.
I also probably won't read it if your post
looks like this.

... It looks like I wrote a poem. :p

Rye
05-21-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm not going to mention any names (like Iceglow), but run-on sentences and paragraphs longer than 4-5 lines are sure ways to make me skim or skip. :-)

This. But if things are formatted well, I'll read things endlessly. You'd be surprised - I read intensively things by a lot of posters, ones that would be surprised by that. That's why I always know everyone's recent LJ news. I keep up with people's lives. :shiny:

I really don't like it
when people start new paragraphs
before a sentence has ended,
or after only one sentence.
It seems to happen a lot in forums.
I also probably won't read it if your post
looks like this.

... rofl, I am SO bad about doing that over MSN. It's like a horrible poem.

Iceglow
05-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Well, lets face it...I'm probably one of the biggest posters on EoFF in terms of average length of post. I'd love to see BoB do a chart of that! Therefore I do tend to read other people's posts in full as a courtesy. Though if I'm late to a thread by several pages of posts and intense debate I'll often because I'm pressed for time skim read the thread, get a general feel for where the debate is headed or what it is about and then post my opinions if I have anything relevant to the discussion.

As I said already, I am often pressed for time meaning sometimes my sentence structure could be perhaps a little better (there is nothing wrong with long sentences so long as there are sufficient reasons for this, the problem comes when there are huge posts where punctuation is ignored completely) because I haven't had the time to proof read my post properly (I'm a writer after all, I don't do my own proof reading, I have Psy for that!) However I do try to make sure my posts are as coherent as possible, often editing it super fast to fix glaring grammar mistakes or to take out whole sentences/paragraphs where I've either not been very clear or repeated a previous point in different terms (I do that sometimes when I'm writing, hence I often need a proof reader)

I also read NCGs posts long enough to find an insult in there, I can't help it, it comes naturally.

Edit: Also yeah Clo on msn something you probably wouldn't expect, I actually write horribly. I'll put part sentences up, finish sentences on another send (not due to length but due to me hitting return instinctively and sending before I was truly ready to) conversations with me on msn generally incorporate 5 lines sent to cover just 2 lines written.

Momiji
05-22-2010, 01:14 AM
If it's longer than one screen length and isn't very interesting to begin with, I'm going to skip it. Sorry.

Aurey
05-22-2010, 01:28 AM
My attention span is very short on the internet, so it's very often I think "cool story bro" and skip the hell out of some threads. Also, yes to topic #2! I have a tendency to write huge posts only to find out that I got logged out, or eventually just chicken out because I'm easily intimidated on the web and horrible at debating.

Jiro
05-22-2010, 03:28 AM
Parentheses are not sentence terminators, you still need a full stop. [/punctuation nazi]

I have a pretty good tolerance for stuff that is long, but I can't handle some of the stuff I see in the lower forums. All these arguments where people break up a person's already long post into many different quote boxes and then write an essay worth underneath each one -- I can't handle that, sorry!

NorthernChaosGod
05-22-2010, 03:54 AM
Parentheses are not sentence terminators, you still need a full stop. [/punctuation nazi]

I have a pretty good tolerance for stuff that is long, but I can't handle some of the stuff I see in the lower forums. All these arguments where people break up a person's already long post into many different quote boxes and then write an essay worth underneath each one -- I can't handle that, sorry!

How else are you supposed to address each specific point?

Breine
05-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Depends on the subject mostly, if it's something I care about I'll usually read through everything.

Yup.

Mo-Nercy
05-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Although it depends very much on the subject at hand, I usually jump to the bottom of someone's paragraph if it's more than, say, 5-6 lines and start looking for the wrap-up question.

e.g. "So long story short, what can I do about my herpes?"

If the post doesn't have something like that, I'll skim and reply the best I can.. unless I'm at work, not working and bored anyway. In that eventuality, nothing is tl - dr.

Jiro
05-22-2010, 01:00 PM

There isn't any other option unless you want to make one wall of text. However the responses to each point are gargantuan. I'm glad they are passionate but it's too much for me. :(

Madame Adequate
05-22-2010, 01:26 PM

There isn't any other option unless you want to make one wall of text. However the responses to each point are gargantuan. I'm glad they are passionate but it's too much for me. :(

Australia has made you WEAK)

Jiro
05-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Australia has made you WEAK)

I would call it lazy and uninterested, but weak works. However I must deduct a point from your overflowing pool of respect points (yes this is shameless ass-kissing because I have a mancrush on the guy) because of your inappropriate use of a closing bracket. :(

Madame Adequate
05-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Oh sorry is this better}

Jiro
05-22-2010, 03:50 PM
A CURLY BRACKET INSTEAD OF A FUCKING QUESTION MARK?!?! If you didn't have a fancy degree, I would throw the book at you. I would slap you silly and then weep over the damage I have done to your face.

NorthernChaosGod
05-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Why not do it anyway?

Ragebrain The Enraged
05-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Because to throw a book you have to use energy that would be better utilised by doing something nice like waving at a stranger. :D

Madame Adequate
05-22-2010, 11:04 PM
A CURLY BRACKET INSTEAD OF A smurfING QUESTION MARK?!?! If you didn't have a fancy degree, I would throw the book at you. I would slap you silly and then weep over the damage I have done to your face.

Well well well it seems like Mr. Grammar has used two question marks and two exclamation marks to terminate the same sentence] How shocking and unpleasant> :colbert:

Tavrobel
05-22-2010, 11:07 PM
?!?!

Your hypocrisy makes me lolDOT

Jiro
05-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Am I the only one who noticed the sarcasm? smurf me, I don't overly care how you finish a sentence. But well done on picking up that error, I didn't even think about it! :exdee:

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 12:55 PM
I noticed, I was just winding you up! I doubt Tavrobel did though.

Mirage
05-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Depends on how it's written. A long text with nice use of punctuation, line breaks and paragraphs are more likely to be read by me than a shorter text that has none of the above.

Peegee
05-25-2010, 06:38 AM
I know 7 paragraphs is too much, unless it's written by somebody I respect. Otherwise it's usually incoherent, irrelevant data which could be summed out in one or two sentences.

tl<b></b>;dr is probably prevalent in forums because there's a belief that more = better. Hell I've wrote too much in this post.

Tavrobel
05-25-2010, 07:29 AM
I noticed, I was just winding you up! I doubt Tavrobel did though.

... I can't read or write.