PDA

View Full Version : Good movies you were forced to watch in school?

Levian
05-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Usually the films we are forced to watch in school are borderline on boring, at best! Have you been lucky enough to be forced to see a good movie?

Mine would be:
One flew over the Cuckoo's nest
American History X
A Clockwork Orange
Breakfast Club

Rye
05-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Breakfast Club
A Beautiful Mind
To Kill a Mockingbird
Life is Beautiful (I cried so hard)

Those are some of my favorite movies!

Psychotic
05-22-2010, 03:45 PM
The only movies I got to see in school (apart from on end of term days) were Romeo and Juliet (old and Di Caprio versions) and the opening 10 minutes of Saving Private Ryan & The Longest Day.

The old Romeo and Juliet was great though. It showed you Romeo's bare ass and the girls were all ":smug:" about it as they got to check out a dude's ass and then BAM! Titshot! Now what, bitches!

MJN SEIFER
05-22-2010, 04:23 PM
These are film we ended up liking, right?

In that case, I saw "The Land Before Time" at school and it now one of my favorite films.

Also I saw a bit of "Final Destination" (the time ran out), but I just thought it was people dying randomly - it wasn't 'til I saw the 2nd one years later I realized the full side of the films.

Rad Bromance
05-22-2010, 04:46 PM
The only movies I got to see in school (apart from on end of term days) were Romeo and Juliet (old and Di Caprio versions) and the opening 10 minutes of Saving Private Ryan & The Longest Day.

The old Romeo and Juliet was great though. It showed you Romeo's bare ass and the girls were all ":smug:" about it as they got to check out a dude's ass and then BAM! Titshot! Now what, bitches!
It's funny, because we watched it in school while some old lady was subbing and paying no attention, then I switched schools and ended up watching it again and apparently our English teacher had never seen it, and she looked up to see why half the class was going "ooooohhhh!" and she was shocked and she was several months pregnant at the time (and was already very large when not pregnant) so she wasn't able to get out of her desk quickly and was having a panic attack over all us 17 year olds seeing a dude's bare ass and the entire class erupted into a roar of laughter at this big fat lady trying to get out of a student desk, and wondering how she fit into it in the first place.

She quit teaching at our school after that year.

Clo
05-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I watched Ordinary People in my high school psychology class. I loved that movie, and the book was even better.

Depression Moon
05-22-2010, 05:19 PM
I watched so much of Sister Act2 in the 8th Grade that I'm sick of it for life.

Other ones that I can remember were shown to me that I liked were Gangs of New York, Saving Private Ryan, Pocahontas, 101 Dalmatians, The Birds, Finding Nemo (7th grade), The Odyssey, and umm umm. I don't remember the name of this movie but it had that guy who played in Training Day I think. It was set in the future and the main character's dream was to be an astronaut, but he had a heart condition.

In the future, people are rejected jobs based on their genetic make-up. It's illegal, but it's done all the time. Employers get your DNA, by taking saliva samples from a glass you drink or maybe a strand of hair. He entered the space program by going as another person. He used that man's identity by borrowing dna samples from him. somebody has to know what I'm talking about.

Miriel
05-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Gattaca!

Had to watch it for a science class. Loved it.

Worst movie I ever had to sit through in school was The Birds. :|

Madame Adequate
05-22-2010, 07:47 PM
I liked A Streetcar Named Desire a lot. We were reading the play you see. And then the teacher and I fawned over a young Marlon Brando :love:

Worst movie I ever had to sit through in school was The Birds. :|

W... wha... the Hitchcock?

Miriel
05-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Yes, that one. Had to watch it for one of my English classes. Nearly barfed.

Wolf Kanno
05-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I never saw movies I liked in school. I got to see some films people consider to be wonderful classic but I felt the films were terribly cheesy and boring.

Born Free and It's a Wonderful Life mostly come to mind... Smurf you Jimmy Stewart, you and your silly voice that makes every role you ever play feel like the same character. :mad2:

Madame Adequate
05-22-2010, 08:00 PM

Your taste is utterly alien to me :p

Jessweeee♪
05-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Apollo 13 and October Sky!

Chloe.
05-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Romeo and Juliet (old and Di Caprio versions)

I had to watch those too! They weren't too bad.

I don't really remember any good films I had to watch, in Year 11 we had to read Of Mice and Men for GCSE and we watched the film of it, that was quite amusing. :p

Imperfectionist
05-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Watched the K Bran Hamlet a few months ago, it's awesome :D

Also, my French teachers organise various cinema trips for us to go on and we saw a film called Le Premier Jour du Reste de ta Vie and another called Entre Les Murs. Hand on heart, two of the best films i've ever seen.

Ragebrain The Enraged
05-23-2010, 12:25 AM

It's funny, because we watched it in school while some old lady was subbing and paying no attention, then I switched schools and ended up watching it again and apparently our English teacher had never seen it, and she looked up to see why half the class was going "ooooohhhh!" and she was shocked and she was several months pregnant at the time (and was already very large when not pregnant) so she wasn't able to get out of her desk quickly and was having a panic attack over all us 17 year olds seeing a dude's bare ass and the entire class erupted into a roar of laughter at this big fat lady trying to get out of a student desk, and wondering how she fit into it in the first place.

She quit teaching at our school after that year.

I saw that one too! Our teacher was cool with it though. Edit: Watched of Mice and Men too. The ending is just as sad as the book's. :(:D

Rye
05-23-2010, 01:56 AM

She has a phobia of birds, dummy! XD

blackmage_nuke
05-23-2010, 02:00 AM
I could never appreciate a movie in highschool because of all the idiots in the class.

Rad Bromance
05-23-2010, 02:40 AM
October Sky!
Oh man, I remember when I had to watch that in 9th grade. I loved it! :love:

Meat Puppet
05-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Gattaca!

Bam, this is what I was forced to watch too, except it was for... math wtf

And... The Great Dictator for drama class.

There were others but I had already seen them before I watched them in school so they do not count.

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 03:05 AM

She has a phobia of birds, dummy! XD

Oh well I would class that as an issue seperate from quality, but fair enough in that case xD Unless Hannah did mean quality in which case... her taste is utterly alien to me! But that's okay, we're talking about movies, not grandma incest :p

My media studies teacher was trying to finagle a way to show us Baise Moi, but from what I've heard of the critics, it's a good thing he failed.

Levian
05-23-2010, 04:08 AM
I forgot to mention that Battle Royale was introduced to me through school. Violence was the major theme of our sociology class one year, and the teacher asked us to bring movies to class. One flew over the cuckoo's nest and a Clockwork orange were amongst the ones we saw. Battle Royale, however, was switched off by the teacher after the first collar exploded, in the classroom. Perhaps a bit too violent this one!

Cyric
05-23-2010, 04:30 AM
Rudy.

Also, it wasn't at school, while I was too sick to even bother trying to change the channel:

In The Mix with Usher (gasp!) and Emmanuelle Chriqui (:drool: She's Canadian!)

VeloZer0
05-23-2010, 04:43 AM
I never got to watch any movies that were remotely interesting in school. Which is ok, because I don't really agree with the whole spending class time to watch movies bit.

Only fun thing I watched was the Simpsons 'Lord of the Flies' parody episode in English class. We had the hardest ass English teacher in the school, so when he told us we were watching a Lord of the Flies interpretation we all groaned and settled in for a snooze fest forgettable school movie. I was quite surprised.

G13
05-23-2010, 09:29 AM

haha I had to watch those too. My teacher got a piece of paper ready to cover up the boobs and totally missed his cue. It was a good day. :smug:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off was way overplayed in my U.S. History class. So was Princess Bride. Good movies, I just can't watch them anymore because of it.

BarelySeeAtAll
05-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Here:

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Of Mice And Men (yes, you read)
Macbeth (I think..I remember lots of blood, is that the right film?)
Memento
School of Rock (Yeeeeah...my music teacher was pretty crappy)

That might be it. Oh well I've still got another year left..who knows if we'll get some more in.

Aydin
05-23-2010, 12:01 PM
When I was in 11th grade, I took a film study course and I saw possibly the best movie in the world, Mean Girls...

Breine
05-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Oooooh, I've seen lots of great movies in school. The ones I can remember right now are:

Fried Green Tomatoes
My Left Foot
Cinema Paradiso
Christiane F.
All The President's Men
Fight Club
Gandhi
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Macbeth (Judi Dench and Ian McKellen version)
Pelle the Conqueror
The Elephant Man
And Now for Something Completely Different
American History X
The Wave (TV Movie)
The Lives of Others
Der Untergang (Downfall)

..there are several others, I'm sure.

Mo-Nercy
05-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Romeo + Juliet (the Baz Lurhman version - I loved the fact that Romeo's father had a name a commonplace as Ted =]).
Several Hitchcock films including The Birds and Psycho.
Seabiscuit.

Araciel
05-23-2010, 03:51 PM
The Handmaid's Tale

One phrase alone should make you want to see this movie -

ROBERT DUVALL SEX SCENE

Mirage
05-23-2010, 03:54 PM
American beauty, lol. All the guys in my class hated it but I actually liked it.

missaira
05-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Gattaca!

Had to watch it for a science class. Loved it.

that movie was weird.

movies i saw in school and enjoyed:

pearl harbour
to kill a mockingbird
in cold blood
the untouchables
de ja vu
grizzly man (not really a movie but oh well)

there's probably more but i don't remember.

Jiro
05-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Usually the films we are forced to watch in school are borderline on boring, at best! Have you been lucky enough to be forced to see a good movie?

Mine would be:
One flew over the Cuckoo's nest
American History X
A Clockwork Orange
Breakfast Club
Don't mind me while I struggle to comprehend this. You watched A Clockwork Orange in school. Whoa.

Necronopticous
05-23-2010, 05:02 PM
A Clockwork Orange

Fight Club
You watched these movies in school?

I watched Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal in a philosophy class when I was in college; surely the greatest film I have seen in a classroom.

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 05:10 PM
We watched a good chunk of A Clockwork Orange. But I didn't think it was any good so I did not mention it. :)

Rye
05-23-2010, 05:18 PM
We watched a bit of Fight Club and Kill Bill in school!

Rebellious Eagle
05-23-2010, 05:49 PM
You guys get to watch awesome movies! The only really good one would probably be Of Mice and Men. It always makes my eyes get a little misty.

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-23-2010, 07:37 PM
The Sound of Music~

Breine
05-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Fight Club

Yeah, it was in Philosophy class.

I also just now remembered watching Amadeus in Music class.

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 08:33 PM
You guys get to watch awesome movies! The only really good one would probably be Of Mice and Men. It always makes my eyes get a little misty.

Derp, completely forgot about that one, breaked my hart.

Cuchulainn
05-23-2010, 08:53 PM
We all watch Schindler's List. It was woeful but things perked up when all the women stripped to shower. ;)

Jessweeee♪
05-23-2010, 09:22 PM
I forgot to list Much Ado About Nothing!

Derp, completely forgot about that one, breaked my hart.

Oh yeah, as far as movies based on books we read in class that I enjoyed this is what we saw :3

Fahrenheit 451 (the ending was better in the book, though xD)
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Of Mice and Men
The Great Gatsby
The Crucible
Animal Farm
Lord of the Flies
The Scarlet Letter (I didn't like the book but the movie was nice.)
The Importance of Being Earnest :love:

black orb
05-23-2010, 10:29 PM
>>> Our High school History teacher made us watch Alien 3 and some Friday the 13th movies :eep:..:luca:

Mirage
05-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Oh yeah we watched american history x and fight club in sr. high. Totally forgot about that

Levian
05-24-2010, 12:44 AM
A Clockwork Orange

Fight Club

I had to write a paper on American History X, A Clockwork Orange and violence in gangs, so yes.

McLovin'
05-24-2010, 02:34 AM
Equilibrim and Donnie Darko.

missaira
05-24-2010, 03:29 AM
oh, and schindler's list and the shawshank redemption. both in modern history.
pretty much all the movies were either mh or english.

Shiny
05-24-2010, 03:51 AM
The ones that I can remember from elementary, middle school, and high school that I liked are:

The Pianist - Racism/Genocide/Holocaust
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - American History
The Breakfast Club - Humanities
Sybil - Psychology
Monsoon Wedding - Sociology
The Adventures of Pinnocchio - 1st grade :)
Beowulf & Grendel - English (only liked it for completely shallow reasons)
The Postman Always Rings Twice - Film English (the original)
Best in Show - Film English
E.T. - we watched this in middle school on a huge projector screen in the auditorium for no reason at all

From college:

The 400 Blows (words cannot express how dope this was. it's currently up on comcast on demand if you wanna watch it.)
AI
The Bicycle Thief (also amazing)
Captain Positive (a student film)
The Scarlett Empress
The Kid Brother (hilarious)
Broken Blossoms (so racist yet the main girl is so adorable)
The Music Lovers
Easy Street
Bored Games (student film)
The Thief of Bagdad (original)
East of Eden
Network
The Purple Rose of Cairo

And there was this foreign film we saw that was old where these four or possibly five men rob a bank. They all die at the end tragically, yet stylishly. I really wish I could remember the name because it was the best crime film I've ever seen.

Okay, I should stop there. I can go on for days with good movies I've seen in college.

American History X
A Clockwork Orange

Wow, your school was very...err liberal to allow these.

Araciel
05-29-2010, 03:19 AM
We're not all from US and A.

Laddy
05-29-2010, 08:46 AM
12 Angry Men
Life Is Beautiful
The Sixth Sense
Lawrence of Arabia

and of course, the film that got me into anime...

Valley of the Fireflies.

Raistlin
05-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Life is Beautiful
To Kill a Mockingbird
Life of Brian
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Meat Puppet
05-29-2010, 04:11 PM
A Clockwork Orange

Fight Club

I watched Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal in a philosophy class when I was in college; surely the greatest film I have seen in a classroom.
They’re Europeans. I wouldn’t be surprised if their gym teachers were grading their performances in orgies.

Momiji
05-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Oh, yes. My English class watched the old version too, and my teacher was all 'All right. I understand that we are all mature students, but I must warn you that there is some indecent exposure in this film. Anyone who may be offended by this is permitted to leave the room.'

Of course, no one left, and everyone went crazy during that scene. :p

Breine
05-29-2010, 11:56 PM
A Clockwork Orange

Fight Club

They’re Europeans. I wouldn’t be surprised if their gym teachers were grading their performances in orgies.

Actually...