PDA

View Full Version : This is *such* a pickle...

Clo
05-23-2010, 03:51 AM
So, I'm playing the original PlayStation game, cruising along, having an easy time of it albeit a few annoying battles, but whatever.

Then I get to this damn Velius/Weigraf battle in Riovanes Castle.

I don't know, but it seems I have leveled every character of mine up in the wrong combination of job classes for this battle. I am stuck, so stuck, and getting so smurfing tired of look at this damn tiled castle.

I have Ramza as a Lancer, but he's a leveled up Knight and Theif as well, and I've been using a mastered Monk, a Geomancer who is also a mastered Archer, ye olde Chemist, and a Summoner who is also a Time Mage and Black Mage. I looked at some walkthroughs, and they say I should monks and ninjas for this battle. And I realized after this that I accidentally failed to level any of my job classes up in a way to get a single ninja, and I have a bunch of samurais.

Any strategizing tips for this battle? I'm very unhappy, because this might mean I need to go back on my one save point from before the castle, level up a few jobs to get what I need, and then fight the damn battles all over again. And I hope I didn't save over that file, either...

:mad:

EDIT: Also, I should mention, this is *not* the 1:1 with Weigraf. As a Lancer, that's easy-peezy! But when he is actually Velius with his Clops summon. I've tried scattering everyone away from the one targeted, but I'm still not winning.

VeloZer0
05-23-2010, 04:52 AM
original PlayStation War of the Lions game
The original game has no subtitle, War of the Lions is the PSP name. I'm confused as to which you have, so I will just go with PS1 names.

The best way to win is rush all out damage on Velius. Equip fast and long ranged characters. Velius is fast, so getting spells cast on him can be a problem. Ninjas and gun wielding classes work well. Litch(Summon) and Demi(Time Magic) do a lot of damage to him, but are a little difficult to pull off.
My friend beat this by having Ramza as a Black Mage with the Draw Out ability to do ridiculous damage. Draw Out is based on the MA stat, so if you have a Black Mage equipped with all +MA equipment it is possible to one hit Weigraf and take off the bulk Velius's health.
Often in times like this it is best to move up a sacrificial character for all the enemies to jump on, and move the bulk of your forces up after the spells they are charging have cast.

Alternatively there are strategies out there that have Ramza run arround in circles during the 1v1 using Yell(+1Speed) and Accumulate(+1PA) so that when you move into the next fight he can own everyone easily.

Don't feel bad, this is generally regarded as the hardest encounter in the game.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you don't have any Ninja's
If you take your highest Brave monk and equip him with a Bracer, Twist Headband, and Power Sleve he will probably do a few hundred damage. If you can get him up there he will make short work of Velius. If you have some spare Time Mage JP learn MP Switch. That way any character with it will get one free hit to burn through their MP before their life is in danger.

oddler
05-23-2010, 05:49 AM
VeloZer0 pretty much has it covered. I agree; in my opinion, for this and for all the zodiac battles, quick damage dealing is the key to victory. Do whatever you can with what options you have to dish out as much pain as possible as quickly as possible and that'll probably be your best bet. Focus completely on Velius; if you're lucky, you can defeat him before the other demons get a chance to unleash hell. :choc2:

Clo
05-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Thanks guys, I'll do what I can now. It turns out I did save over that one savepoint, so I have to manage with what I have.

Also, any idea on how much HP Velius does have?

VeloZer0
05-24-2010, 04:04 AM
You would think something like that would be easy to find out. From what should have been a quick search I found 926 - 1005. How it picks I do not know.

Knowing that, Demi and Drain Life will do ~250 damage and Lich and Demi2 will do ~500 damage. Apparently he is also vulnerable to Silence, if that helps at all.

You're not going to like this, but there is another battle immediately after this one in which ninjas help a lot :D (Though not necessary)