PDA

View Full Version : Matsuno finally speaks out

Wolf Kanno
05-23-2010, 05:54 AM
So I'm browsing along and trying to see what a few of my fave developers are doing and finally got a decent update on Matsuno through freaking Wikipedia of all things.

Turns out he finally mentioned on Twitter (http://twitter.com/YasumiMatsuno/status/9660112902) why he left Square Enix and as many of us guessed, its because he got sick and tired of the company and how it was being run. Its nice to finally get real confirmation on this. :D

Its a shame he left cause SE needs all the help they can get but at least he seems to be still chatting with Sakeguchi (http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column/pg178.html). So if he doesn't stay freelance, he might wind up at Mistwalker.

Thoughts?

Jessweeee♪
05-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Can anyone translate it? The best I can get from babel fish like stuff is

"They are neither more nor less than the official information. Retirement is Kejime. Disease, although its staff and shareholders, a lot of annoyed me was the fans expect from true."

ShinGundam
05-23-2010, 09:54 AM
The actual translation

Ahodeaho: Mr. Matsuno, why did you want to leave SE and strike out on your own? I'm looking for a real man's answer as to why you left FF12, like the one you gave to "since 97/4/8", who called you a traitor!

YM: This isn't anything more or less than the official info already out there, but the fact is that I left the company. I was sick, yes, but I still let the staff, the company, the stockholders, and all the fans looking forward to my work down.

Wolf Kanno
05-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Well glad to see a better translation.

ANGRYWOLF
05-24-2010, 11:24 PM
of course..without slandering him..some people claim he had a breakdown..you decide what kind...:roll2

How can you bug out on such a vital developement ?

I'm not buying his explanation.

You finish the job, doing the best you can and then if you are dissatisfied you leave..then.
You don't quit and leave the job unfinished..especially when your reputation is at stake.:mad:

Wolf Kanno
05-25-2010, 05:54 AM
As a guy who doesn't like people messing with how I create things, I can totally sympathize with Matsuno walking out on a project that guys in suits, were probably dictating how and when it should be done.

Persephone Stephanie
05-25-2010, 12:01 PM
of course..without slandering him..some people claim he had a breakdown..you decide what kind...:roll2

How can you bug out on such a vital developement ?

I'm not buying his explanation.

You finish the job, doing the best you can and then if you are dissatisfied you leave..then.
You don't quit and leave the job unfinished..especially when your reputation is at stake.:mad:

If he was really ill then obviously he didn't want to leave, but had to for his health. You can't begrudge him that. If it was because of internal strife with the workers at SE though, then yeah, it's a shame he dropped out. I can only dream of how much better XII would have been (but all things considered, it was still a great game).

Slothy
05-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Its a shame he left cause SE needs all the help they can get but at least he seems to be still chatting with Sakeguchi (http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column/pg178.html). So if he doesn't stay freelance, he might wind up at Mistwalker.

As much as Mistwalker would probably be a good fit for him and not screw around with him, part of me hopes he doesn't go that way just because of their tendency to make games for systems I don't own. I'd hate for their to be Matsuno games out there I can't play. :D

Wolf Kanno
05-25-2010, 09:10 PM
I think you just need to take a hit for the team Vivi22 and just buy the systems. I want me some Matsuno/Sakeguchi action. :D

Them developing a game together would be nice too I guess...;)

Rad Bromance
05-25-2010, 09:48 PM
From reading it, he was sick, as in ill, not displeased with the company and what it was doing.

Or at least that's how I'm interpreting it.

Bolivar
05-25-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure how Japanese corporations work but they should really recall Wada or something. It seems like he's a shakey businessmen with tons of get-rich-quick schemes, as opposed to someone who can really reinforce the character of the company and concentrate its quality and reputation.

On another note, I think XII turned out fine w/o Matsuno. Minagawa and Ito were probably already handling the day-to-day in Scenario and Combat, respectively, at the time Matsuno left I'm assuming it was all about implementing the design plan anyway. I'm sure at the end of development, deciding on what to keep and what to toss out might have changed, but overall I'm glad with the way it turned out. I still hold it didn't feel at all like a main-series Final Fantasy, but it sure felt like an Ivalice-Final Fantasy, and it might be the best game that team has done to date.

I think you just need to take a hit for the team Vivi22 and just buy the systems. I want me some Matsuno/Sakeguchi action. :D

Them developing a game together would be nice too I guess...;)

Who knows where the hell those games would end up, and I'm talking about both platform and quality. I remember when Microsoft was touting him around at all of their events and panels as if he was a first party developer (I think MGS chipped in for him to start-up). Next thing you know he's making bad DS games and now apparently he's working on Wii. I think Matsuno should go the freelancer route, much like Yoshida, Sakimoto, Uematsu, Alexander O. Smith and who knows who else, have all done, and are still working on Square projects, just not in a slave-capacity I assume.

Also, didn't Matsuno write for Mad World?

Wolf Kanno
05-27-2010, 01:12 AM
I agree that I feel FFXII was fine without Matsuno but I do feel the Ivalice games afterwards suffered a bit without his direction.

As for your continual vendetta against Sakeguchi ;)

A quick look at sales shows that Mistwalker has been doing rather well for itself considering its new start up company and lacks the finances of stuff SE can pull out. Most of their games have actually done rather well with Blue Dragon doing great in Japan and Lost Odyssey doing well in the West.

Matsuno may go freelance but his talents are much different from the people you listed and it would probably be better for him to actually build his own studio or obtain his own group to go freelance with him which is why I feel Mistwalker might be a good deal for him for now. I get the feeling he is as welcomed at SE as Sakeguchi is. ;)

It sucks his two most famous franchises are owned by Squenix. I'm still miffed by the fact I may never see Vagrant Story 2 now. :( Also, yes, he was one of the writers for Madworld. Most media concerning Matsuno states he's been really interested in the Wii.

ANGRYWOLF
05-27-2010, 02:41 AM
oh..the game was fine without Matsuno ? The teams greatest FF to date ?:tongue:

I had to grab my throat to keep from choking.

No disrespect intended but really ?:roll2

Really ?
rotfl...

The game doesn't even feel like Tactics...the signature Ivalice game.

It doesn't even feel like an FF either.

It would be a just ok game if it wasn't a Square FF.

as a Square FF is it deficient in several ways....in my opinion...rotfl.

:love:

As for Matsuno..he would need to do something...... maybe partner with Sakaguichi and create a tour de force..something spectacular to rebuild his reputation in my eyes.:mad:

seiferalmasy2
05-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Well the main dude leaving part way through the development is hardly a good thing and it showed.

Slothy
05-27-2010, 09:13 PM

My bank account wants to slap you for the suggestion. :p :D

Unless you're buying them for me there's no way it'll happen anytime soon after buying a new PS3 today.

Still, I want to see Matsuno back making something. At least if it's a Wii game it shouldn't be long before emulation would be viable.