PDA

View Full Version : American State War

Laddy
05-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Let's be badasses and discuss the United States. Again. For the umpteenth time.

What state is your favorite? Your least favorite? Why is this country so overatted?

I like Puerto Rico and Illinois a lot. PR isn't a state, but I don't fucking care.

Mississippi and Arkansas suck ass. Srsly. Now rubah will shoot me.

Jessweeee♪
05-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Illinois is lovely! Texas isn't bad.

Jiro
05-23-2010, 09:08 AM
I like whatever states my favourite EoFFers are in.

Bunny
05-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Illinois is lovely! Texas isn't bad.

You are wrong in every fathomable way.

I dislike Texas and the majority of the South. Also, even though it is typically considered to be part of the South, Maryland gets a special mention because they are retarded.

Oregon is probably my favorite state. Then Washington.

oddler
05-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Virginia is for lovers. :heart:

I'd love to visit California sometime.

Yar
05-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I like whatever states my favourite EoFFers are in.
You just don't know their names. :colbert:

As for me, Illinois is the shiz, and I also like to visit New York.

There's a lot to do in Ohio, if you know where to look.

qwertysaur
05-23-2010, 09:13 AM
New York is really great. Everyone should try and come here at least once. :p

Jiro
05-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Well Kaycee just went state hopping so it changes! Actually I'm pretty terrible with the names yeah D:

oddler
05-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Practically the entire Northeast is bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: because of toll roads. :mad2:

Rodarian
05-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Hawaii... Cause nobody remembers that its a state as well! XD

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Of the states I have been to, I like New York the most. But I like Missouri too. Illinois and Indiana suck major ass though. Rhode Island was nice in downtown Providence and in Newport (Best seaside town I have ever been to, bar none), but otherwise was boring.

I think I'd like all the states that are further west than the Midwest, too. Definitely the Pacific states, Alaska, and Hawaii, and almost certainly the mountain states as well.

Yar
05-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Illinois and Indiana suck major ass though.
Which part of Illinois though? Cause there's Chicago and then there's the remainder of Illinois, which sucks.

I do agree 100% with Indiana though. :D It's a little wannabe snorefest

Meat Puppet
05-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Texas is pretty cool. I ate steak and went on a waterslide and got a sunburn. That’s about it. Pretty cool.

Agent Proto
05-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Virginia is for lovers. :heart:

Hell yeah! *high 5*

Of the states I have visited though, I'd say I like California the best. From those same states, I don't really know which one to choose as least favorite. Maybe Arkansas, since I can't think of a damn thing that I remember from that state. Most of the states I've visited has something to remember about, except Arkansas. Now, if I had met rubah and/or Kish, my opinion of the state would most likely change. :D

Breine
05-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I've been to California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Washington DC and New York.

Out of those I like California and New York the most, because San Francisco was friggin' awesome and so was NYC. New Orleans was also great.

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Which part of Illinois though? Cause there's Chicago and then there's the remainder of Illinois, which sucks.

Chicago is the part which sucks. :p When I drove through Illinois was a perfectly inoffensive place with regular polite folks. Chicago seems to be stuffed to the rafters with the kind of stereotypical asshole that NYC is supposedly filled with.

Psychotic
05-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Of all the states I've been to, I guess Cali-for-ni-yay. The scenery is all so different to what I'm used to back home. I really want to go to one of the more deserted states though!

Rye
05-23-2010, 03:20 PM
I've not been to that many states. But here are some I've been too:

Rhode Island - Super sucks, except for Newport. I really REALLY hate Rhode Island.
Connecticut - It's too bad. It's pretty nice.
New Jersey - It's not that a bad place. It's nice in some parts.
Pennsylvania - I liked Philly a lot! It seemed pretty nice. But I heard it's really rural in other parts. I don't know if I'd like it outside of the city areas.
Delaware - I didn't like it
Maryland - I really didn't like it. DC is a terrifying place.
Virginia - It was really deserted and a little creepy, the part I was in. There were no houses for miles on the highway, until there was just this one rickety old house in the middle of nowhere. Kings Dominion was cool though. I never heard so many southern accents in my life there.

Oh! I've been to Massachusetts, technically. But the part I was in was so like Rhode Island (it was only about 10 miles from the border between the two) that I didn't get a good impression. It seemed pretty nice though. More lively than RI.

Those are the only states that I've been to, besides New York, which I live in. New York, to me, is uncontested as the best. There's so much stuff to do all around, and lots of life, even in places outside of NYC like Long Island. Lots of personality. People in downstate New York, at the very least, are nothing like the stereotype of nasty new yorkers - we're friendly people, if not a little fast-paced.

I think I'd like California a lot, except that I can't tolerate heat above 80 degrees with a strong breeze. When I visit Cali, I bet it'll be up there with NY to me. Isn't it supposed to be full of hills and mountains there, like Ireland? I'd really like that.

missaira
05-23-2010, 03:21 PM
whoa, must get confusing with all those states. 7 is hard enough. (7? we do have 7 right? 5 states and 2 territories.. yah, 7 : )

EDIT: No, 8. 6 states, 2 territories xD

Momiji
05-23-2010, 03:27 PM

Try living here. For 20 years. And counting.

get me out of here

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 03:29 PM

get me out of here

No internal border controls son, do it yourself.

Momiji
05-23-2010, 03:34 PM
:bou::bou::bou::bou:ty job market = no money

no money = I'm stuck here, for now

:(

Psychotic
05-23-2010, 03:37 PM
How many eyes do you have? Do you really need both of them? Sell one.

Momiji
05-23-2010, 04:54 PM
My vision's bad enough as it is. I need both of these eyes.

I'd rather sell a kidney. Anyone interested?

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 04:58 PM
You have feet, don't you? 'Cause you can just point yourself in a direction and walk.

Not north though, you'll end up in Wisconsin.

Momiji
05-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Michigan, actually.

Which really isn't much better than Indiana.

Not to mention there's no point in leaving when I have nowhere to go, so until I have money and can afford a place out of here, yup. Looks like I'm here for a while.

Imperfectionist
05-23-2010, 06:28 PM
I've only ever been to New York and Virginia, but they were both amazing places in different ways :D

I definitely wanna see more of the US though.

Vermachtnis
05-23-2010, 06:34 PM
I've lived in Virginia my entire life and I've only been to West Virginia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, and Kentucky. And I only wound up in Kentucky because I got lost trying to get home. I want to visit New York or Maine at some point though. And maybe go west to Washington.

Shoeberto
05-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Let's see!
Ohio - Has some very nice parts, mostly in Columbus. It also has a lot of very :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty parts, going from white trash ghetto to black ghetto. A lot of it is also overly commercialized and with a serious lack of distinct flavor, since it's all just chain restaurants and stores. But in some places it can be pretty, the weather can be amazing, and there's definitely a lot of stuff to do if you have the time and money - theme parks, concerts, zoos, caves, all that good stuff. It's home.
Arkansas - Northwest Arkansas is pretty much amazing. Very pretty and lively, lots of interesting places to check out. The rest of the state is... not that great.
Missouri - I've only really driven through it. St. Louis seems interesting, but everywhere else I've been just seemed like standard midwest stuff.
Indiana - boring.
Kentucky - Scarily backwoods.
Tennessee - The national forests are nice, but otherwise it's also just scary backwoods.
Florida - Tourist hell.

Ohio is a pretty okay place to live, you just have to be willing to drive to check out the most interesting parts.

LunarWeaver
05-23-2010, 07:04 PM

get me out of here

I've been living here for 24 years, so if anyone gets the honor of selling body parts for moving money it's me goddamnit *slam table*

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Yay USA! I'mma do it alphamabeticamally!

Alaska: Beautiful beyond belief. And that was an impression from passing though. I wish I could explore the place.
Arizona: Meh. Dunes are nice.
California: Rolling Hills and beautiful scenery yes. Mountains, not so much. And there are palm trees. An epidemic that should be wiped out. Beaches are beautiful. I love coming to Cali, but living there not so much. It is expensive, and it doesn't rain enough in SoCal. San Fran is pretty sweet. I can't dis California too much, you know, I was born there.
Florida: Uuuugh. Just, no.
Oregon: Beautiful place. Wonderful forests and mountains. The city scene isn't that great. I'd say Portland probably has the best in the area. Wonderful state. The Goonies was filmed here.
North Carolina: Terrible and humid and terrible.
South Carolina: See North Carolina.
Washtington: See Oregon, but add +100 awesomeness. Seattle is pretty wicked awesome too.

I would love to get a chance to experience the Northeastern states. I would love to go to New York City too. Just the idea of a place like NYC is pretty amazing.

PS: Pacific Northwest FTW!

Lawr
05-23-2010, 07:08 PM
I haven't been to any state west of Texas but I assume the western states are heavily populated by Mexicans, or just overpopulated in general.

Well, that first part applies to all major cities too. And the second part only applies to states starting with a "C" and ending in "alifornia."

I think my favorite state so far is Virginia, but Georgia might take the top spot this year; we'll see.

Rad Bromance
05-23-2010, 07:52 PM
I've been to California, Arizona, Oklahoma, Illinois, Texas, Missouri, Indiana, West Virginia and Ohio, so those are really all I can pass judgment on.

Of those, California is by far my favorite. The vibrant diverse culture, the weather, the monstrous cities, the gorgeous beaches, the distinctive neighborhoods. I just love it. Although I may be a bit biased since I was born and lived there most of my life.

Arizona was pretty cool. Phoenix is a nice city, though Flagstaff is absolutely wonderful. I don't really have any beefs about it.

Illinois is pretty nice but way too cold for my taste.

I wasn't really in Indiana or Missouri long enough to decide whether I like them or not, but they weren't particularly interesting.

I hate Oklahoma with a passion. I lived there for years, and don't anymore, and this opinion hasn't changed. Just everything about it is terrible to me...I really can't think of anything positive to say about it.

West Virginia reminded me way too much of Oklahoma, except somehow it's even more poor/primitive.

Texas was surprisingly cool. Dallas/Ft Worth is nice and has some fascinating architecture going on. I would never want to live there though because I really can't stand southern culture and the overall political climate in that part of the country. That, and the heat is flat out brutal, even moreso than Arizona when I was there.

Ohio is...ehhhhh. Columbus is an awesome city, probably one of the coolest cities I've been to. It's almost like a little piece of the San Francisco Bay area transplanted into the midwest. The rest of Ohio I've been to I could really take or leave.

I miss California, and the ocean. I may have to go visit soon.

rubah
05-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Maybe NWA can separate and become its own state!

There's not much to like about most of Arkansas, but I am compelled by a life-long sense of duty and pride to speak well for it, even if I can't.

Of the states I've been to, the best impression left has probably been by Colorado, or strangely enough, Oklahoma. I'm sure this all varies by place, though

Jings
05-23-2010, 08:07 PM
I guess I'll list the states I've been to like everyone else.

Florida: Disney World is awesome. Too warm in the summer.
New York: Only been to NYC and I loved it. Too warm in the summer.
New Jersey: Ugly from what I could tell. Reminded me of Glasgow, which was annoying because I had just flown for nine hours to get away from Glasgow! Too warm in the summer.
Virginia: Spent six months here and easily my favourite state. So much history. Too warm in the summer.
Maryland: Baltimore was fun to visit. Too warm in the summer.
West Virginia: Drove past a guy who lived in a caravan with a rebel flag outside. Pretty freaky at night time. Charlestown was fun though! Too warm in the summer.
Delaware: Drove through it on the way to Philadelphia. All I remember is train tracks and phone lines. Too warm in the summer.
Pennsylvania: My second favourite state. Philadelphia was hella scary at night though. The police were non-existent! Too warm in the summer.
Tennessee: Didn't really do anything here. Spent like an hour in some town at the VA border. Too warm in the summer.

To summarise: USA is awesome, but too freaking warm!

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Hahaha oh man, Missouri was ridiculously hot. When I was there the first time, this happened (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3138865.stm) back in the UK, and it made the news in the US but for most people it was like "lol" because that was not at all an unusual temperature, and indeed we'd just had like four or five days in a row get hotter than that. I got reaaallly used to the heat when I spent the summer there.

First day I was ever in NYC was colder by far, but it was years later and I had lost my heat immunity, so it felt the same. xD

Jessweeee♪
05-23-2010, 08:35 PM

Chicago is the part which sucks. :p When I drove through Illinois was a perfectly inoffensive place with regular polite folks. Chicago seems to be stuffed to the rafters with the kind of stereotypical asshole that NYC is supposedly filled with.

Yes! Peoria is full of pretty rude people, too. And it smells kinda funky. Also I can't go anywhere there without bumping into someone I'm related to. Maybe that's why.

Momiji
05-23-2010, 08:46 PM

get me out of here

I've been living here for 24 years, so if anyone gets the honor of selling body parts for moving money it's me goddamnit *slam table*

Hey. Hey.

Together, we could sell a pair of kidneys. That has to be worth more than just one.

Agent Proto
05-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I need new kidneys. >:o

Miriel
05-23-2010, 11:52 PM
California - Love it. Can't imagine a better place to live.

Arizona - Been there twice. Hated it both times. The hate grows the more I hear news about this stupid state.
Hawaii - Gorgeous! But very humid. I visited Honolulu and Maui and liked Maui a lot better. Less tourists there.
Idaho - Barely stopped by. Can't remember much about it aside from being bored out of my mind while there.
Montana - Never seen such a vast empty landscape of nothingness before. Very beautiful. But also very boring.
Nevada - Vegas! And outlet shopping. That makes Nevada a plus for me.
New York - Super super cold. Tons of pigeons. Extremely expensive. Not a fan!
Pennsylvania - Went there as part o an 8th grade East Coast trip. Sat down on a bench and turned to see a dead bird next to me. freaked the smurf out.
Utah - Saw the huge Mormon church. Was weirded out by it. The impression I got from the state was in one word: vacant.
Washington - Rain. Tons of restaurants seemed to randomly be closed on Mondays. Rainier cherries are delicious.
Wyoming - Like Montana but it has Yellowstone which makes is slightly more cooler but still pretty boring.

States I want to visit:
Louisiana - Cajun/Creole food!
Florida - The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens June 18th. :)

Quindiana Jones
05-23-2010, 11:57 PM
I've been to Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California. I genuinely find it difficult to pick my favourite. In Montana, the main attraction was Glacier National Park. I made friends with a mountain sheep called Rodney. Well, I called him Rodney. And he followed me everywhere. :)

Idaho was alright. Nothing much happened that I remember.

Washington was sweet. Stole some pumice from right outside the gift store, just because they were charging $10 for it. Hell no, I'll get it for free. If you want to know what Mt. St Helens is like, watch The Road. The bits with trees looking all fine and nice, except that they're flattened onto hillsides: that's Helens.

Went down the Oregon coast. Saw some bigass trees. Camped there. place.

I went down to San Fran in California. It was awesome. Some tasty beaches, and the girls are hot. All of them. Every last bloody one. :drool:

Marshall Banana
05-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Kentucky - Scarily backwoods.
Jeremy said, after he visited me for a week, that he felt like he went back in time.

Laddy
05-24-2010, 01:18 AM
I've been to Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Maryland, Kentuckey, Illinois, Idaho, Oklahoma, Kansas, Winsconsin, Puerto Rico, Virginia, West Virginia, and Arkansas.

I've been to 20 states. How many have you guys been to? :colbert:

Madame Adequate
05-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Just in case anyone finds this at all of note, Pike tells me that it was snowing in Montana yesterday.

Momiji
05-24-2010, 01:35 AM
I'm almost jealous of that. My room is 90 fucking degrees Fahrenheit right now.

Bunny
05-24-2010, 01:54 AM
I've been to 20 states. How many have you guys been to?

Only 17, but I lived in most of them for a significant amount of time.

Also, you put Kentucky twice.