PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an LED HDTV?

Rostum
05-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Hey,

So my girlfriend and I are going halves in a new LED TV, we're thinking of getting the Series 6 46" Samsgun LED TV, or maybe the Series 5 (don't really know the difference).

What can people recommend (keep in mind we're not looking for 3D)?

Dignified Pauper
05-24-2010, 02:37 PM
buy it from buydig.com

Aerith's Knight
05-24-2010, 09:58 PM
I'd wait for a year, watch the prices plummet. At the moment you don't have to split it with your gf, that's the moment you buy it.

Rostum
05-25-2010, 05:09 AM
I don't have to split it, but we want to.

And you can keep saying "prices will go down" or "the next best thing will come" all the time, but you have to eventually buy something, lol.

Mo-Nercy
05-25-2010, 05:53 AM
This (http://www.eljo.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=UA46B6000) is cheapest I've seen it online.

If you're looking to buy it in person, I recommend Bing Lee. They've got it for $2999, which is negotiable, of course.

I can't really see the difference between the Series 5 or 6 either. They seem to cost around the same... The Series 7 and 8 are much more expensive too and definitely in the "way-too-much" range.

As for what I think of the TV itself, it's got a better picture and it'll save money on electricity, and the link I've provided only has it for about $400 more than I spent on my Viera when I bought it. So it's not expensive as some make it out to be.

Rostum
05-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Ah ok, that place is really close to where I live so maybe I can go check it out.

However, something is confusing me... I've seen two version of the Series 6. The one you've linked to and one with a different (and very ugly) base (http://www.binglee.com.au/WMS/Upload/Images/Products/SAMS/UA46C6900.jpg) - any differences? Or just different year models?

Mo-Nercy
05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
That I can't explain, but I went to the Samsung official website and all the Series 6s (and 7s for that matter) have that ugly, swivel chair-like, chrome base. So that eljo link I gave you might be selling a older model or they may just be lazy with the pictures.

I also went down to JB-Hi-Fi today to look at some cameras just then and I saw that they had the 40" for an unmarked price. The sign had $2000 or something crossed out with "Ask for deal" scribbled under it. Don't know if that's just my local store or whether it's across the board. Or whether you're interested in the 40".

edit: found a link (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma/samsung/40-inch-full-hd-100hz-edge-led-lcd-sku-52408/) to it.

Tseng
05-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Well if you aren't in limbo on brand then I can't offer too much help. However if you are still considering where to put your dollar then I'd have to recommend the television I have. Its absolutely gorgeous whether its on or off! There is also an optional metallic base that complements the design rather than detracts from it. Here are the specs:
KDL-52NX800 | 52" BRAVIA NX800 Series HDTV | Sony | Sony Style USA (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666077667#specifications)

o_O
05-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Generally with Sony's TVs, you're going to pay for the badge on it as much as for the TV itself. Most Sonys use Samsung panels, which are among the best in the world, but you can often get the same panel much cheaper if you go for the Samsung TV.

Mo-Nercy
05-27-2010, 02:51 AM
The plus side to Sony TVs is that if you get an expensive enough model, they'll throw in a PS3. =]

That's just from what I've seen at the Sony Central in Sydney. Probably still not really worth the money, especially if what Face says is true. I didn't know that about Sony TVs.

Tseng
05-27-2010, 10:18 PM
The plus side to Sony TVs is that if you get an expensive enough model, they'll throw in a PS3. =]

That's just from what I've seen at the Sony Central in Sydney. Probably still not really worth the money, especially if what Face says is true. I didn't know that about Sony TVs.

Uh oh! Where's my ps3 then? I think I'm gonna write an angry letter :) come to think of it my boob tube was somewhat on the expensive side...It looks right on par with the samsung models but I was ignorant to the connection between the hardware until I laid eyes on my friend's Tv, which was somewhat less price wise. Either way I say eat the cost and buy it yourself. That way you'll get to see your beloved machine everyday and not just on weekends!

Rostum
05-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Don't worry, my girlfriend and I live together. ;)

The problem with TV's is that they are much more expensive in Australia than they are in America - doubly so with Sony. For some reason Sony like to charge a fortune for their TV's over here. For instance, that model over here is about $5,000AUD. :)

Tseng
05-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Wow! I thought you were from the States for some strange reason. I guess I could've trained my eyes to the bottom of your avatar.Then definitely get into the research I say! It could save you a much greater margin when all things considered. Here the reprimand for ignorant impulse buys would amass a sum of a few hundred bucks in the hole. Sounds like at least a thousand there! I guess the Japanese are just jealous they can never quite get the Aussie accent down :)