PDA

View Full Version : p90x

docta fizz
05-25-2010, 02:36 AM
I enjoy being active because being sedentary just makes me depressed. I have several buddies who really get into exercise routines IE p90x. It's pretty difficult but can also be very enjoyable. Anybody else out there doing the X, or some other form of exercise/workout routine that is cookie cutter-esque? You like it or just comitted to finishing it?

Yar
05-25-2010, 02:39 AM
I bike 10 miles a day. Right before it I'm like "I don't wanna! :mad:" And then for the first 5~10 minutes I think "I'm sooooo tired" but when I finish I feel incredible and often want to go for another 10.

docta fizz
05-25-2010, 02:47 AM
biking was awesome, when I was a kid I used to use my bike (and only form of freedom) throughout the summer. Because I rode to school several times my senior superlative was "most likely to win the tour de france". That's what you get when nobody knows anything about you accept you own a bike I guess. lolz, later that year it got stolen. sad face good memories

Rye
05-25-2010, 02:48 AM
I know someone who goes on this forum sometimes did that. It looked very intense.

I'm doing the Couch to 5K running plan. I'm between week 4 and week 5 right. I could probably move on to week 5, but I want to make sure I'm more comfortable with week 4's intervals before I up the intensity.

I really love this program. I've never have been so committed to an exercise routine before. I didn't lose any weight at first on it, which I heard happens sometimes when you begin running, but then I just suddenly dropped a lot of weight in the past two weeks, 5 lbs!

But more over, I enjoy it being the benefit of weight loss. I always used to exercise in the gym and I hated it. Being outside and running in the breeze in the evening or morning feels so refreshing. The park I run in is pretty and full of little critters. I saw a wild bunny once! I never saw a wild bunny before that!

I feel really proud of myself. I went from being out of shape to being able to run five minutes straight. That might not seem super impressive to the more active members out there, but I wouldn't have been able to do that a few short weeks ago.

The biggest strength of the program is that it's adjustable to you. I run with the Couch to 5K podcast, with music and instructions on when to switch between running and walking intervals, and general encouragement.

My long term goal after this program is to be able to run a half hour straight, five days a week, and maybe run a 5K! :jess:

NorthernChaosGod
05-25-2010, 02:56 AM
I have my own plan, I go to the gym and lift and the I swim laps in my pool at home.

/smug

Rye
05-25-2010, 02:59 AM
I have my own plan, I go to the gym and lift and the I swim laps in my pool at home.

/smug

Oh! That reminds me! When we open our backyard pool up for the summer, I think I want to try to swimming as a low-impact exercise to do on my resting days from running.

The thing is though...

I don't exactly know how to swim... =/

(i can like, doggy paddle, barely... but that's not exactly work out productive)

NorthernChaosGod
05-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Lol. The best thing would probably just get out and try it then. I taught myself how to swim at an early age just by going to the pool a lot.

Swimming is great, I always get a nice burn in my shoulders and legs.

Freya
05-25-2010, 06:04 AM
My sister and brother in law do it and the more intense version called insanity and it is insane o.o My sister loved it so much she's now going to school to be a personal trainer. She wants me to do it and I started but then that's when I got really sick and I haven't been able to start it again.

She wants me to do it now but I instead went swimming at the lake today than start =x

I developed asthma though and it's pretty tough if you do it right. Plyos really so I have to start something else to build my lung strength up. It's a cool program though.

docta fizz
05-25-2010, 06:18 AM
I'm doing the Couch to 5K running plan.

I feel really proud of myself. I went from being out of shape to being able to run five minutes straight.

Bravo, I've never heard of the program but it's really encouraging when you see that you've made progress. Keep it up it will make you feel better about yourself ;)

I have to start something else to build my lung strength up. It's a cool program though.
You actually don't have to do an entire workout, I'm currently doing week 3 but since I'm still not quite able to finish the workouts I'm not counting the weeks, as soon as I get all the way through each of them I'll say that's week 1 :D. It's a tool to help you get into shape but there are hundreds of other ones that are just as helpful so don't let anybody make you feel obligated to do it ;)

I think this is the week that I finish all the exercises start to finish (crosses fingers)

Edit: NCG - swimming is such an awesome way to exercise.. now I wish I had a pool membership, or at least a pond around here.

Peegee
05-25-2010, 06:28 AM
p90x is intense. I think it kicked my ass when I first tried it, and I stopped in favor of more tradition and easier routines like 5x5

That said, I'll be moving onto more body-mass exercises and cardio in order to cut down to < 10% BF. Not looking forward to it xD

Sephex
05-26-2010, 04:42 PM
A friend of mine (edczxcvbnm, for all the oldbies reading) does it and he gets mad at me because I end up laughing my ass off at the things the instructor says/does. "Her name is Pam, but I call her BLAM!!"

Rodarian
05-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm going to sound like a dumb dumb here but.. what is p90x?

starting the new month I'm hitting the gym once again to gain mass....

Hopefully by end of fall I should look like this....http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2012953/2/istockphoto_2012953-bare-chested-male-model.jpg

I have high meta rate..So as much as I eat like a 'Jughead'.....I need to double up the diet in take with protein shakes and supplement pills

NorthernChaosGod
05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
P90X&#174; - Fitness, Nutrition, Diet, Weight Loss Official Web site (http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do)

What's your plan like? If you burn through calories quick, you'll definitely want to keep cardio down to a minimum if you're looking to gain mass.

Peegee
05-26-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm going to sound like a dumb dumb here but.. what is p90x?

starting the new month I'm hitting the gym once again to gain mass....

Hopefully by end of fall I should look like this....http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2012953/2/istockphoto_2012953-bare-chested-male-model.jpg

I have high meta rate..So as much as I eat like a 'Jughead'.....I need to double up the diet in take with protein shakes and supplement pills

But that guy is a different genetic stock than you...confuzzled. Also you're simply not eating enough if you can't gain mass.

Rodarian
05-26-2010, 09:13 PM
My bod is on the slim side thanks to my mum's side of the genetic s..However after age 25 (currently entering 27 soon) the meta rate would decrease..You should see the males on the maternal side.. after 27, they all let go! LOL

So I eat fine Peegee, my friends don't call me a 'garbage disposer for nothing!

My previous training involved stamina intensive (for long distance running) so I kept on the slim side of things.

Now I'm going back into weight training to 'beef up'

The advantage is that I can get the cuts like his but now I want the 2x the mass

We all have different body structure but part of my 'ayrian' blood stock can allow me his body type...

theundeadhero
05-27-2010, 02:06 PM
I exercise every weekday, bleh.

It you want to get really ridiculously fit go with the crossfit program.

docta fizz
05-29-2010, 09:21 AM
crossfit has alot of high-impact stuff in it, it will get you ripped if you do it right, but it is also easy to hurt yourself for begginers, I've had a few too many injuries to risk it :/

Meat Puppet
05-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Reminds me of when the Ballad of Gay Tony came out. PEE NAHNAY, PEE NAHNAY is what they all would scream.

Bastian
05-29-2010, 08:02 PM
I run every day for 45 mins to an hour at a nature park. I used to lift four to five days a week for the past five years or so, but this past year I've cut it down to one or two days a week. I put on a LOT of muscle, but I'm an endomorph, so putting on muscle is easy, but staying lean is not. After getting all of that muscle I decided to focus on getting lean again. I've lost 30 lbs of body fat in the past six months. My abs are finally visible again! Another ten lbs should do it and then I can cut down on the running and focus on the gym again.

Slothy
05-29-2010, 09:02 PM
crossfit has alot of high-impact stuff in it, it will get you ripped if you do it right, but it is also easy to hurt yourself for begginers, I've had a few too many injuries to risk it :/

It's not high impact really, but if you do the major CrossFit movements with poor form you will hurt yourself. That's why they emphasize using proper form and any trainer worth their salt will teach you the cues to do it right, build you up safely, and stop you if you're doing anything that will hurt you. Running longish distances everyday (especially with what passes for good form for most people) would be harder on your joints than doing CrossFit properly if you ask me.

I do CrossFit four days a week minimum myself, and have seen tremendous improvement in my overall strength and conditioning.

Rye
05-29-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure if my form is any good running. I think it's okay. I try to keep myself up straight, keep my arms lose, take my steps right, and to keep my pace slow, since I'm focusing on endurance and not speed.

I'm on week 5 now! Day One is complete! Let's hope day two and three don't give me trouble.

DAY ONE DAY TWO DAY THREE
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/ryechuuu/w5.jpg

Slothy
05-30-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure if my form is any good running. I think it's okay. I try to keep myself up straight, keep my arms lose, take my steps right, and to keep my pace slow, since I'm focusing on endurance and not speed.

As long as you're not landing on your heels you should be fine. Most people do in running shoes, and some can even do it for years before they notice any problems. To land properly you should be landing on the ball-middle of the foot. Somewhat ironically, most people won't land heel first if they focus on speed because you just can't do it during a sprint where the tendency is to lean forward.

Looks like you're making good progress though. I was wondering if you were still with it since you hadn't updated in the Fitness group in a while. Glad to see you're keeping it up. :thumbsup:

NorthernChaosGod
05-30-2010, 04:56 PM
I remember way back in middle school that they told us that you run on the balls of your feet for speed and land on your heels for distance/endurance running. smurfers.

Slothy
05-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah, that would be just about the worst advice I could imagine giving a runner. Unless your goal is to cause long term injuries anyway. :D

Hythloday
05-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Make sure to get protein and whatnot in as well, if you do it.

docta fizz
05-31-2010, 01:16 AM
lol, I do run on the balls of my feet, well you push off from them anyways, gives you more umpf (it should be a word) I have never had any cross fit training ergo the exercises would be more dangerous for me to try and get into, kettle bells aren't something to play around with without an instructor fyi for anyone interested in crossfit. That is until you get used to it then go for it, if it's what makes you happy.

Rye
06-09-2010, 03:38 AM
It's only a week old and it's still on page 1, so I'm gonna bring up something in this thread:

Does anyone here, I know someone here is a physical trainer, know a good routine for women beginning weight training, especially one that can be done without a gym membership/buying some big expensive multiple weight training machine? I want to do a bit of weight training between my days off running, because I heard you lose weight best that way because building muscle makes your metabolism increase. I'm a complete beginner though, I've never done weight training. I have absolutely no upper body strength so that might be a place to start!

Oh, and I ran my full 20 minute run yesterday! :love:

Christmas
06-09-2010, 05:07 AM
I exercise regularly too! Gotto maintain my figure and also exercise makes one look radiant!! :bigsmile:

But I dun really like to exercise when the sun is too bright or anything, I can't stand the heat. :(

NorthernChaosGod
06-09-2010, 05:42 AM
It's only a week old and it's still on page 1, so I'm gonna bring up something in this thread:

Does anyone here, I know someone here is a physical trainer, know a good routine for women beginning weight training, especially one that can be done without a gym membership/buying some big expensive multiple weight training machine? I want to do a bit of weight training between my days off running, because I heard you lose weight best that way because building muscle makes your metabolism increase. I'm a complete beginner though, I've never done weight training. I have absolutely no upper body strength so that might be a place to start!

Oh, and I ran my full 20 minute run yesterday! :love:

Starting Strength (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki) is pretty much the best thing for anyone new to weight lifting. Unfortunately you are going to need either a gym membership or to buy some equipment.

And it's true, bigger muscles need more energy.

Rodarian
06-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Well its been a week since I've started my weight training program..It feels good to be back in the gym..My muscles get sore but boy do I love it..

Del Murder
06-09-2010, 07:20 PM
I looked into p90x but that's way too intense for me. I try to go running at least twice a week for about 25 minutes each time. I also try to lift weights at least once per week. I should probably do more, but exercising is so boring.

Slothy
06-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Starting Strength (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki) is pretty much the best thing for anyone new to weight lifting. Unfortunately you are going to need either a gym membership or to buy some equipment.

And it's true, bigger muscles need more energy.

A recommendation for Starting Strength on EOFF? Be still my beating heart. :love:

NorthernChaosGod
06-11-2010, 03:31 AM
Lol. EoFFers can't be into fitness?

Agrias
06-11-2010, 06:17 AM
My husband spent buttloads on this p90x thing and he doesnt even USE it!!!

Slothy
06-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Not at all. Most probably haven't heard of Starting Strength though. :D

docta fizz
06-12-2010, 04:06 AM
well I've never heard of it that's for sure, p90 is useless if you can't muster the dedication to use it, I'm sort of struggling with that myself, maybe it's more of p45v?

NorthernChaosGod
06-12-2010, 04:46 AM
SS is legit. You can build tons of muscle with it and get a very nice base to work with for later workout plans.

Casey
06-23-2010, 07:22 AM
My husband spent buttloads on this p90x thing and he doesnt even USE it!!!

Same here, I tried P90X out for 2 weeks... it just got boring to me I tried bringing it and pushing play. Now I'm for lifting weights 3 times a week and cardio on my non-weight lifting days. Want to lose fat weight and build muscle. I want to train like how the U.S. Army trains because that time 5 years ago I was the most fit then I was 5 years later. Been out 2 years living a sedentry lifestyle it is depressing and it sucks that our metabolisms slow down as we age. Life just demands a little discipline out of our day to workout to stay fit.

I read off another forum that's a bodybuilding site these simple rules to losing weight:

- Workout 3 times a week with weights.
- Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
- Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs / week.

Something I want to try right now I get about over 60 grams of protein from just food alone. I want to stock up on the Whey protein...

Fuzakeru
06-23-2010, 05:47 PM
I did the X but I went through them all and picked the ones I really did enjoy doing and did those a bunch. Kenpo X was my favorite. Stretching X was awesome. AB RIPPER X WAS A #$E%R()%RUI$ but I did that one too. I can't remember all the ones I did but it was a lot of fun and challenging as hell!

Now I do long walks ( I get sun AND a good cardio after a few miles so win / win for me ) and I used the weight machines on the Navy Base for my upper body. My legs need no help but my core and arms are in need of some TLC.

Peegee
06-23-2010, 07:16 PM

More of us troll /fit/ than you'd think :)

black orb
06-23-2010, 07:33 PM
>>> Im kind of lazy right now and if I had more free time I`d work out more..:luca:
Plus, if you don have the right diet (which i totally dont have) you probably wont gain mass at all..

NorthernChaosGod
06-24-2010, 05:05 AM

One of you would be more than I think. :(

Peegee
06-25-2010, 04:47 PM

One of you would be more than I think. :(

Hell my identity there is too obvious to ignore

Araciel
06-25-2010, 04:49 PM
lol /fit/