PDA

View Full Version : Summer Homework

Wolf Kanno
05-25-2010, 07:34 AM
So... I have a massive stack of games and I'm hoping to avoid making it larger this summer so I can actually get through some of it. Currently I'm finishing a playthrough of Breath of Fire IV cause I needed to play something to blow off steam and get the taste of XIII out of my mouth... I also finally started playing through Sword of Mana (GBA) and I'm almost through with the guy's story (Sumo) so I'm debating about either a playthrough as the girl character or something new. I also have a playthrough of BoFII on the SNES going on but that may be put on hold cause I've already played that game several times and I need to hook up my new (well relatively) NES.

So I'm going to make a list of what I've been amassing for some time now and ask you, the good people of EoFF, to build me my summer schedule for actually playing through all this games I've been collecting. I think I'll sort it by system...

NES:
Blaster Master - a friend of mine loves this game and I sort of missed out on it somehow in my youth so I picked it up in hopes of checking out a classic.

Metal Gear - I've played the revamp version in Subsistence but I wanted to try the terribly loclalized original with "General McTaffy". I FEEL ASLEEP...

Metroid - Got my hands on a copy finally and thinking about a little nostalgia...

Ghosts and Goblins - Cause I'm a masochist

Disney Adventures - Mostly nostalgia with this one. :D

PS1:

Persona 1 - Started this a year ago and when I learned I was stuck with a terrible character, I shot my chances down and decided to go for the games worst ending. Feel compelled to finish it.

Wild ARMS - Got myself a new copy cause my other one was a bit scratched up and worse for wear. Love this game and feeling nostalgic.

Wild ARMS: 2nd Ignition - Made the mistake of loaning my copy to a guy I knew who then decided to graduate and disappear with my copy. I didn't really like the guy so I never tried to get it back, chose instead to buy a new one finally after 7 years. Haven't played it since it came out I believe and feel I should give it another go cause I did like it.

PSP:

Persona 1 - This is the other reason I never went back to the PS1 version. I'm almost to the same place I was before and actually have the party I kinda want (I still want Yuko). I've been playing this on campus lately.

Metal Gear Portable OPS - Got about halfway through but friends kept dragging me back to Dissidia and then I started collecting FFTactics, Darkstalkers and P1 and well its been shelved far too long in my opinion. I kind of wanted to finish it before Peace Walker came out.

DS:

Children of Mana - This is all the fault of playing through Sword of Mana... that and it was really cheap but I've been meaning to actually check out the World of Mana compilation cause Mana is a series really close to my heart and what got me into RPGs to begin with.

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure - I accidentally overlooked this one back in the day but now have it for the DS and let the cheesy singing begin. Its by Nippon Ichi and I love this company.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Was broke when it came out and then it suffered a bit of the Atlus curse when it disappeared for a bit. Everyone knows I love me some MegaTen action but I also know this game is a bit of a rabbit hole scenario in terms of gameplay mechanics and systems so I kinda want to hold off til I get the others done first but I can always be persuaded...

Wii:

Mario Galaxy - I'm a ways into it but keep getting distracted by other titles. This Mario game just hasn't grabbed me as much as the others did but I think its just because I'm old. Still, I feel bad about not finishing a Mario game. Especially with its sequel around the corner.

House of the Dead: Overkill - Got it mostly for the cheesy humor and I actually like rail shooters. A bit hesitant since I feel like I should be playing with a friend though...

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - Despite my strong dislike and stance on sequels in the FF universe, this one has been getting good reviews from people I know, so I'm curious to see if SE may have gotten it right. I don't have the whole set but if its good, I can be easily tempted to grab the rest.

Ogre Tactics: March of the Black Queen - Despite loving Matsuno, I've never played any entry from his original creation so I feel I should rectify this.

PS3:

Fallout 3 - A friend of mine has been a die hard fan for years so I picked this game up when it was on sale. Figured I needed to expand my horizons and play more western games and Fallout always had something close to my twisted sense of humor...

Disgaea 3 - I'm a bit hesitant cause I never got past the tutorial stage of Dissidia 2. Its not that I didn't like Dissidia 2 as much as it was that something really awesome always came up when I had money so its been on the back burner for awhile. I know the plots are unconnected but I don' want D3 to ruin the experience of D2 when I finally get around to playing it.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - I've played and beaten this game before so this would be more of me coming back to play a good game and play around with the system. People on the forums here feel I don't give this game enough credit so maybe I need to give it another try.

PS2:

Dragon Quest VIII - I played this awhile back and stopped for Persona 1 (PS1) and then I never really looked back... Feel I should finish it finally.

Godhand - Cause it looks so awesomely cheesy and its basically a parody of Fist of the North Star so what's not to love. I also need a few non-rpg titles...

Silent Hill 2 - The story has already been ruined for me but I've always liked the SH series and I feel I need to play the most famous entry. I don't play much survival horror these days...

Suikoden Tactics - I'm a fan of the Suikoden series and feel it would be nice to see a game that actually takes S4's setting and actually makes something of it. Besides, it plays like FFTactics with Suikoden system. :D

Front Mission 4 - I was a huge fan of FM3 and this game sorta fell under my radar cause I think I was still bitter about the Spira FFs. I'v started a file and it was very good but it got buried under the other titles I picked up.

Onimusha 1 & 2 - A bit of nostalgia and something new. I really liked Onimusha 1 but could never justify the price cause of the games short length until recently. Picked up the sequel while I was at it which I never played.

SkyGunner - Cause it looked awesome and I love the prospect of flying.

Katamari Damacy - I've played a bit of this and had some friends who were obsessed, finally got a copy for myself and ready to transform school children into screaming stars. ;)

GTA: Vice City - I got my fill of this series after GTA3 but picked this one up cause I have a weakness for the 80's and the game has a bitching soundtrack. I mostly picked this up to blow off steam but I'm actually thinking of trying to play through the story mode for once.

Steambot Chronicles - I hate the steambot controls and stopped playing ages ago, I think this game with its awesome world finally showed me that I don't care for sandbox games but lately I' feel like trying something new and part of me wants to go back to this game.

Metal Saga - Cause I want to release the Dogs of War

Beyond Good and Evil - This game gets so many good recommendations I decided to finally pick it up and try it out.

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Part 1 - This game disappeared before I had a chance to pick it up and I finally got a copy for cheap so I'm ready to see what I've been missing from one of my fave franchises.

Killer 7 - Cause I like Suda 51 so far and this game was trippy and fun when I played it but got lost thanks to my school semester. Figured I should play it til the end this time.

ROM:

Seiken Denetsu 3 - Cause I have never played it despite being a huge Mana fan back in the day.

Shin Megami Tensei 1 & 2 - See where my fave franchise really started to take off. I of course have to play them in order.

Sailor Moon RPG - In the Name of the Moon! I shall Punish You! Yes, I'm technically a Moonie so picking this up wasn't a difficult decision though I do believe its in Japanese...

Tenchi Muyo! Game Hen - Same kind of deal above including the issue of the game being in Japanese, time to pull out the dictionary and my old school notes.

Front Mission 2 - Wanted to see where the series got its start and the first game is already out on the DS so I picked up the second entry cause its chance of coming over here is the same the Red Socks winning the World Series.

Flashback - Was always interested in this game...

Dragon Quest V and VI - Though part of me is thinking about just picking up the DS versions since I picked up the ROMs back when they were not released yet.

Bahamut Lagoon - Wanted to check out some old school Square titles.

There is technically more, but I'm removing my more "odd" choices that I know no one would vote for. I also had some compilation titles and few games I want to replay but I figure this was more for new titles and a few titles I haven't touched in the better part of a decade.

So out of this list, what would you recommend? Give me at least five games to chew on.

Shiny
05-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Out of the choices my recommendations (in no particular order) are as follows:

Silent Hill 2 -- Technically since you already know what the amazing twist is, it is pointless to play it, but you can't get the full effect of Pyramid Head unless you play this game.
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City -- You are right about the soundtrack. I don't care what anyone says, it's better than Grand Theft Auto 3.
Ghosts and Goblins -- I love this game. It reminds me of my childhood, so I am probably bias.
Metroid -- Sure, why not.
Katamari Damacy -- I haven't played it, but from what I've seen and read about it, it sounds like a fun game.
Metal Gear (NES) -- Hee hee

Slothy
05-25-2010, 01:12 PM
You're not actually looking to beat Ghosts and Goblins are you? Because as much as I'm a bit of a masochist sometimes, that's one thing I'll never be able to bring myself to do.

Anyway, I'll make a list of the games I'd play first, and a list of games you should sprinkle in here and there because you can either chip away at them gradually, or because going at them full bore might lead to suicide. Personally, I'd focus on games I hadn't played or wanted to finish first and foremost.

Silent Hill 2 - no brainer.
GTA Vice City - my favourite GTA and the only one besides 3 I could ever bring myself to beat, let alone play more than once.
FFIV The After Years - just because I'd like to play it myself to be honest.
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Part 1 - I'd love to give this and the second game a go. I'm jealous that you got it cheap so I say play it.
Metal Gear Portable OPS - How could I not recommend playing through a Metal Gear? I need to pick it up myself.

As for the games to sprinkle in here and there:
Super Mario Galaxy - I wouldn't really recommend it to be honest because I didn't like it at all, but if you're intent on beating it you can always grab a few stars here and there without too much effort.
Ghosts and Goblins - I'd have a hard time playing through too much of this at a time without throwing a NES out the window, but in short bursts this kind of game is perfect.
Katamari Damacy - Easy to play in short bursts from what little I've played myself.
Onimusha 1 & 2 - I liked the first one back in the day, though I'm sure it hasn't aged well. Still, they're short games that you could get through in smaller chunks.

Bolivar
05-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Real quick, but you probably know what I'm going to say.

Dragon Quest V - I'm playing a fanslation right now myself and this game is a classic with a capital C. It appears to have innovated many things I see games even today emulating, and I enjoy picturing a japanese gamer playing this when it just came out, as the first DQ on the SNES, and going crazy over some of the things they do. I can recommend this 100%, if you need a classic RPG, what better than DQ and you might as well play this.

Dragon Quest VIII - I think every serious fan of RPG's who's given themselves to the genre for a few years should experience this at least once. Of course, if it's not that important to you, there's really no point, right?

Metal Gear Solid 4 - can you honestly say you've really fully appreciated/understood (understood as in whole game, not just story) a Metal Gear by only beating it once? Every game I have to beat multiple times to really know my thoughts on it and how I rank it in the series. So you know you have to do this eventually.

Vermachtnis
05-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Digital Devil Saga is a game you really, really should play soon. I just finished a replay of part 1 a few weeks ago.

Also Godhand is crazy awesome. It's hard as hell though.

Rhapsody for the DS is really buggy. But it's still really good.

Tenchi Muyo: Game Hen is really short, so it won't take up much time. And I thought it was really fun.

NeoCracker
05-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Wild ARMS: 2nd Ignition - You know I'd suggest this one, but hey, I'm nuts for Wild Arms. You already know why you should play it anyway. :p

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - I'll just say this is one of the funnest SRPG's I've played in a while.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - Just play the first chapter you can download. If you dislike it, you'll probably dislike the whole thing. :p On a whole, I'm quite satisfied with both game play changes and story.

Ogre Tactics: March of the Black Queen - I should slap you in the mouth for this. It's Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, and it's my second favorite SRPG of all time. Give it some lovin' honkey. :love:

PS2:

Dragon Quest VIII - The ending isn't really great, but the last fight is pleasantly challanging. Definately worth finishing.

Katamari Damacy - I love this game and ever incarnation of it to date. :love:

Sailor Moon RPG - This is surprisingly not bad. :p

Dragon Quest V - Dammit man, get the DS version. Having played both, I assure you the increase in quality is worth the cost.

Bahamut Lagoon - Not as good as Ogre Battle, but still pretty sweet, with some original Ideas not scean in most SRPG's, like being able to freeze water to cross it, as well as melt it beneath someones feet.

Disgaea 3 - Not really that into 2 to be honest. 3, however, is freaking hilarious beginning to end, and teh only issue I have with the battle systems is later maps are more like figuring out a puzzle with those colored hexes then playing an SRPG, probably why Makai Kingdom is still my favorite of those type of games.

Wolf Kanno
05-26-2010, 01:38 AM
Surprised by the love DQ is getting and completely dumbfounded by the lack of Seiken Denetsu 3 love...

No, I don't intend to play until I beat some of the NES titles. I played G&G in the arcades so I am well aware of its frustration levels. I've heard Blaster Master is not really any better.

I'm still trying to decide so keep the suggestions coming. I'll probably be playing some titles off and on (Katamari, Ghost and Goblins, Portable Ops ) cause not all of the games will need my undivided attention.

black orb
05-26-2010, 02:29 AM
So out of this list, what would you recommend?
>>> Valkyrie Profile (ps1/psp)..:luca:

Wolf Kanno
05-26-2010, 05:12 AM
Didn't like VP :p

NeoCracker
05-26-2010, 05:27 AM
How did I not notice Seiken Denetsu 3? Yes, play it daggnabbit.

Slothy
05-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Hm, I missed it as well. I blame WK for making a huge list.

I haven't played it yet, but yeah, I'd probably toss it in there too.

Wolf Kanno
05-26-2010, 07:15 PM
I actually shorten the list... School/work have really cut into my usual game time so I'm a few years behind on some titles. :colbert:

Bolivar
05-26-2010, 07:57 PM
I was gonna ask about your other obligations this summer since it seems like you're playing a lot of games already and have a crazy ton in reserve. Always gotta make the summer one to remember, so here we go:

I think you should finish breath of fire as your RPG savior from XIII as your home game. After that, keep things going with a bang and play MGS4 again, and mix that in with some Katamari (as a chaser :) ) for the goodness/quirkiness.

On the go, I would actually recommend staying away from Portable Ops, not sure if you've played it yet. I just really wasn't feeling the controls at all and its got me worried for Peace Walker. Since Peace Walker's coming out in about a week, I would make that your next on the road game.

Once you beat MGS4, check out:

Ogre Tactics: March of the Black Queen - Despite loving Matsuno, I've never played any entry from his original creation so I feel I should rectify this.

I'm guessing you mean Ogre Battle since I seriously doubt Tactics is on the Virtual Console. It's a good game and you should absolutely try it just to see it. I honestly don't know if I can recommend playing it to completion, though. There's so much going on, and it's very different from nearly everything else, so some people love this game to death, others like me respect it, enjoy what they play, but move on to others.

If you don't finish O. Battle, I would recommend then moving on to Dragon Quest V. If you decide to save some money and don't yet have a translation patch I can recommend you the one I've been playing, it's very literal (which is my style in fanslations), and very good, although I have noticed 2 or 3 mess-ups, but they are few and far between.

After this second round of RPG goodness, I say go full blown NES mode, rotating between Metroid and G&G, and the terrible NES Metal Gear if you really have to play it.

Whenever you feel you've had your fill, I would absolutely 100% recommend Vice City. Yes, the soundtrack's bangin', yes messing around is incredible but I'm in the minority of people who truly play the GTA games for their stories. They're something else man, some really good pulp-y type jawn that I love playing. Definitely spend some time on this one.

Not sure where to go from there. You really should have bought Valkyria Chronicles instead of Fallout 3, man. I don't want to tell you to buy yet another game when you already got a massive cache, so maybe go for Fallout 3 after that to wind down the summer, or finish it off with another RPG (DQVIII, but like I said, only if finishing it really matters to you).

Last, but not least, you really need to sign up for the Playstation Network and add me (rmx687) and Vivi22. We have to do an EoFF game night eventually, but first we need to actually care to do one and find a game we all got!

Slothy
05-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Last, but not least, you really need to sign up for the Playstation Network and add me (rmx687) and Vivi22. We have to do an EoFF game night eventually, but first we need to actually care to do one and find a game we all got!

That would indeed be awesome. I played a fair bit of Uncharted 2 with some EOFF'ers back when it came out and it was great so I'd always be up for it again once I get a new PS3 (should be tomorrow). But yeah, it'll have to be a game we all have and want to play online.

NeoCracker
05-27-2010, 01:47 AM
You all need to pick up BlazBlu: Continuum Shift when it comes out in July on PS3, then we can get us some massive gaming on. ;)

Wolf Kanno
05-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Looks like the NES titles are on hold for a bit my "new" NES doesn't work either :cry:

Slothy
05-27-2010, 11:47 AM
I`d say just emulate until you can get another.

black orb
05-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Didn't like VP :p
>>> Thats my fav game ever..:luca:

Wolf Kanno
05-28-2010, 05:59 AM
I'm sorry... :(

[M] Mom – Host
05-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Baldur's Gate II for the PC is overlooked by console gamers. It's challenging, well-written, and engaging. It's Bioware's first major work.

Wolf Kanno
05-29-2010, 07:46 PM
I never got into Baldur's Gate, I even own the first game but who knows, I've got Fallout 3 so its my first taste of WRPG in the better part of a decade. Who knows, maybe I'll check it out.

Fun Fact: The Venture Bros. would never last in the world of Fallout, I've been trying to play the game like Dean and its now obvious why they ave to be cloned...

I'm playing through my list and trying to get a feel for some of the games to see where I want to go. I might put off MGS4 until school starts, I usually prefer playing games I've already beaten during the school semester cause it allows me to work out some stress while not feeling like I need to finish the game quickly to see how it ends. I generally get to screw around more and that's what future playthroughs are for. :D