PDA

View Full Version : Jury duty

Mo-Nercy
05-25-2010, 03:30 PM
I've just been through hell and back trying to get my dad excused from jury duty. I told them that he can't speak English and for some reason, they just decided not to believe me and follow through and send the summons. It's all sorted though, a polite email and an angry phone call was all it took.

I personally haven't been called up for jury duty, but has anyone else? What was your experience of it? I've heard some great stories from people about their time doing it and other stories from people who've said it was just a lot of sitting around and playing iPhone.

Enlighten me!

Quindiana Jones
05-25-2010, 03:36 PM
My mum did it. The case was about this father who installed cameras in his bathroom and watched his wife and daughter do stuff.

missaira
05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
ew :(

Chris
05-25-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I don't think there's such a thing as jury duty here in Denmark. No one I know have ever had to do jury duty. It seems awfully undemocratic to force people to do anything. O:

Breine
05-26-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I don't think there's such a thing as jury duty here in Denmark. No one I know have ever had to do jury duty. It seems awfully undemocratic to force people to do anything. O:

There's no jury duty in Denmark. If there is, I've never heard about it before.

Imperfectionist
05-26-2010, 05:06 PM
My mum had to do it. She didn't even tell me a lot of what happened in the case cos it was really horrible :(

She works for the police now though so I don't think she can get summoned to do it anymore.

Quindiana Jones
05-26-2010, 05:13 PM
There are no exemptions for jury duty regarding your career. She can still get the summon. :D

Aurey
05-26-2010, 05:14 PM
My mom was also summoned (wow-- thread title should just be "jury moms") in the late nineties. She managed to get out of it because she was taking care of five young kids and also working full time, so she really did not have the time for it.

Don't really know anyone besides that who has done it. I hope I never get summoned, but if I do it's no biggie.

Unbreakable Will
05-26-2010, 05:16 PM
They tried to summon me to my old town for jury duty but I got out of it on account of me no longer living there, and they had the summoning circle all wrong. Silly conjurors. :roll2

Tavrobel
05-26-2010, 05:24 PM
other stories from people who've said it was just a lot of sitting around and playing iPhone.

It is.

I haven't had to sit on the jury, but I was summoned. A quick response to "is there any other reason why you will not be able to sit on the panel" is usually enough to get you out of a case. In mine, I said "well, I've got finals this week, so I can't sit all seven days of this trial."

Now I don't have to serve again for three years.

Clo
05-26-2010, 05:24 PM
I haven't been summoned yet, but I have this feeling it's going to happen at this most inconvenient time, like when I'm student teaching or something of the sort.

Imperfectionist
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
There are no exemptions for jury duty regarding your career. She can still get the summon. :D

Aah I didn't know that :p

Rodarian
05-26-2010, 06:20 PM
My mum did it. The case was about this father who installed cameras in his bathroom and watched his wife and daughter do stuff.

ew :(

Ditto

Haven't been summoned yet.. Honestly I wouldn't mind doing it....Gives me a broader experience of things...

Guilty or Not Guilty...That is the question!

Clo
05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
If I ever did get jury duty, I would spend the entire time wishing that the defense attorney was Pheonix Wright and that the judge was a bald doofus with a beard.

Citizen Bleys
05-26-2010, 06:38 PM
they had the summoning circle all wrong. Silly conjurors. :roll2

Inorite? It's like they don't even know you can complete the Ritual of Ash'Kente with only a bit of baling twine and 4 cc of mouse blood.

Cuchulainn
05-26-2010, 06:55 PM
haha I was called but didn't have to go once cause in informed them of my....indiscretions. That was a while back though.

Mo-Nercy
05-27-2010, 05:46 AM
That's not the case here.

Persons who can claim exemption (Jury Act 1977 [NSW])
# Clergy.
# Vowed members of any religious order.
# Persons practising as dentists.
# Persons practising as pharmacists.
# Persons practising as medical practitioners.
# Mining managers and under-managers of mines.
# A person employed or engaged (except on a casual or voluntary basis) in the provision of fire, ambulance, rescue, or other emergency services, whether or not in the public sector.
But I think they can still get the summons, and then applying for exemption is up to them.

haha I was called but didn't have to go once cause in informed them of my....indiscretions. That was a while back though.
I had a friend that argued that his failure to pay a parking fine should exempt him from jury duty. They wouldn't have any of it. xD

NorthernChaosGod
05-27-2010, 05:57 AM
If they still can get the summons, that goes along exactly with what Quin already said.

Mo-Nercy
05-27-2010, 05:59 AM
He also said there were no exemptions, which there are (here, at least, in this crazy state of New South Wales)

NorthernChaosGod
05-27-2010, 06:00 AM
Meh.

blackmage_nuke
05-27-2010, 06:09 AM
does "Im racist, really really racist" work as an excuse?

Jessweeee♪
05-27-2010, 06:10 AM
If I ever did get jury duty, I would spend the entire time wishing that the defense attorney was Pheonix Wright and that the judge was a bald doofus with a beard.

Thanks to Ace Attorney my attention span in court is probably far too short. And it's already short. So I would make a horrible juror.

Raistlin
05-27-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm in law school, so if I did happen to get a summons, I would be quickly excluded. Lawyers do not want jurors who actually know the law.

Tavrobel
05-27-2010, 07:48 AM

Only if they feel that it might be relevant to the case.

Bunny
05-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm in law school, so if I did happen to get a summons, I would be quickly excluded. Lawyers do not want jurors who actually know the law.

My girlfriend informs me that they dislike having psychologists as jurors as well. One of her professors was dismissed from a case almost immediately after finding out that he was a psychologist. At some level, it makes sense I suppose.

I have yet to be called upon for jury duty and I would probably try my best to get out of it. Unless the case interested me. Though, it likely won't and it'd be something like someone stealing bread or something.

Jiro
05-27-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not looking forward to getting summoned. I think I'll just get on the next plane to anywhere and make someone take care of it.

Breine
05-27-2010, 12:22 PM

Why doesn't this surprise me? xD

Rodarian
05-27-2010, 01:00 PM

Not unless you wear a t-shirt saying..'Hitler Is King 'and start to salute around....

Araciel
05-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I got out of jury duty unintentionally..

I was selected and then went, and during the challenge phase I was excused because I seemed to stare down the defendant.

Quindiana Jones
05-27-2010, 04:42 PM

That's weird. In England, even barristers and judges can be summonsed.

Golden Rule to getting out of jury duty: suggest you're biased. "Oh, this is that murderer from the paper right?", "Aww he looks really nice", "Christ. He's got the paedo smile and everything.".

Unbreakable Will
05-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Not unless you wear a t-shirt saying..'Hitler Is King 'and start to salute around....
:lol:

NorthernChaosGod
05-27-2010, 06:50 PM

:lol: Why are you still Menses? Someone change the poor man back.

rubah
05-27-2010, 07:22 PM
"I'm a strong proponent of jury nullification"

nah, unless there was something that came up, I'd probably serve.

Peegee
05-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Homer Simpson - Getting out of jury duty is easy. The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races.

Shlup
05-27-2010, 08:37 PM
I got called in, waited there all day, went up and sat in the jury box, got asked some personal-ass questions by the lawyers in front of a room full of people, and then the prosecutor dismissed me on account of her being a stupid bitch.

Just say something a little snarky on the stand and they'll send you home.

Peegee
05-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I got called in, waited there all day, went up and sat in the jury box, got asked some personal-ass questions by the lawyers in front of a room full of people, and then the prosecutor dismissed me on account of her being a stupid bitch.

Wow you really are a bish :mad2:

Rye
05-28-2010, 01:55 AM
When my Dad was summoned, he pretended he was a racist "me-no-speakey" Italian, so he got off.

I actually just got a letter as a potential juror, to answer a questionnaire. I need to get around to doing that thing. I won't serve, because I'm a college student.

black orb
05-28-2010, 02:02 AM
>>> Not guilty..:luca:

Meat Puppet
05-28-2010, 02:15 AM
I know you can read my thoughts, boy: Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow.

rubah
05-28-2010, 03:13 AM
if all the smart reasonable people won't/don't serve, then who's left to judge us :|

Bunny
05-28-2010, 03:37 AM
http://www.leehopkins.net/images/country-hick.jpg

Citizen Bleys
05-28-2010, 04:57 AM
if all the smart reasonable people won't/don't serve, then who's left to judge us :|

Ever seen Idiocracy?

rubah
05-28-2010, 04:59 AM
Yes, I have. It was a rhetorical question imploring the citizens of EoFF to perform their civic duties.

NorthernChaosGod
05-28-2010, 05:34 AM
Don't you get paid to serve?

I've never been summoned.

Bunny
05-28-2010, 05:52 AM
$40/day, $50 for 10+ days.

Levian
05-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Not sure if there even is jury duty in Norway. If there is, it's definitely not very common to be summoned.

Edit: checked it out a bit and apparently jurors are handpicked over here and they do many trials instead of just one. Most people go through life without being on a jury.

Peegee
05-28-2010, 05:53 PM

I make more money being a hobo. Why would I do this?

Bunny
05-28-2010, 06:24 PM
That's basically why nobody wants to do it. You make more money from your regular job. From what I gather, your employer can continue to pay your regular wages while you are serving, but that happening is extremely rare. Why waste your time for less pay?

NorthernChaosGod
05-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Maybe they hate their job and wouldn't mind taking a cut to just sit around?

black orb
05-28-2010, 07:04 PM
>>> For $40/day I`d gladly do that jury thing..:luca:

Shlup
05-28-2010, 07:09 PM

Wow you really are a bish :mad2:

I wanted to be on the jury, spent my whole fucking day waiting, the questions they asked me in front of several dozen people were not kosher, and then the bitch dismisses me--when I totally would've been on her side, no less--because she assumed I wasn't smart enough to figure some stupid bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: out. I was like super offended.

Raistlin
05-29-2010, 03:36 AM
That's weird. In England, even barristers and judges can be summonsed.

Lawyers can be pulled for jury duty. My point was that during jury selection one of the lawyers would use a challenge on any juror who was a lawyer or had any legal knowledge.

:lol: Why are you still Menses? Someone change the poor man back.

You know how there's mature, adult people who get tired of the same, constant joke at some point? Well then there's Shlup.

I actually just got a letter as a potential juror, to answer a questionnaire. I need to get around to doing that thing. I won't serve, because I'm a college student.

I don't think "being in college" is an actual excuse for jury duty.

Tavrobel
05-29-2010, 07:26 AM
I don't think "being in college" is an actual excuse for jury duty.

It's not. Exams, yeah that will get you out of long, multi-day criminal cases, but not just for being a student.