PDA

View Full Version : The poll to end all polls.

Ragebrain The Enraged
05-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Let's put it to rest. Was FFXIII a good game or not? I vote yes. :D

Skyblade
05-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Unfortunately, that's not the final question, and certainly not the most important one. There are plenty of others. It may be a good game, but does it qualify as a great game? Were the graphics worth the loss of everything that was left out for them? Was the game an improvement on the rest of the series, or another disappointment?

Yes, I think it's probably a good game. That's about it. It wasn't a great game, and it certainly didn't live up to its potential. But it's playable. At least, after the first three hours.

seiferalmasy2
05-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Good game, I don't think so, but since we are comparing it to others in series and expecting it to be "great" not just "good" this question is loaded. A better one is:

Is XIII significantly worse than VII,VIII, IX and X. That might be more interesting.

Del Murder
05-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Jeez people, just answer the damn question. If you were entertained by this game it was good. If it was worth your time to play it was good.

I thought it was a good game.

*proceeds to then list several other more detailed questions that he thinks is the final ultimate most important one*

Mo-Nercy
05-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Yeah, good game. If you compared it to the some other games in the series, it wouldn't stand out for me, but judged on it's own merits (which it should be), good game.

seiferalmasy2
05-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Yeah, good game. If you compared it to the some other games in the series, it wouldn't stand out for me, but judged on it's own merits (which it should be), good game.

Why shouldn't it be compared to the others in the series when it carries the series name and brand and people buy it specifically because they think it will have that quality, and pay a lot for that?

VeloZer0
05-26-2010, 04:26 AM
I would say it was slightly above average, not good or bad. When judged as a Final Fantasy game it is a major disappointment. So I can't really answer your question.

Flying Arrow
05-26-2010, 04:47 AM
I'd say it isn't a good game. Mechanics-wise, it's fine, and whether or not you find it entertaining is subjective. The problem, I believe, is the pacing and level-design. In the end, you have a marginally interesting combat system... and nothing else, really. The game barely lets you screw around with the sparse mechanics until half-way in, and even then the thing barely evolves. Given the ludicrous amount of time FFXIII expects the player to spend with it, the skeletal gameplay just can't hold up.

Plot-wise, XIII is a disaster, and since cutscenes are half the experience, the storytelling really needed to be a home run. I MAY be willing to overlook a little bit of gameplay bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: if the story is engaging (Dragon Age) but XIII just doesn't get there. The story is arguably the biggest downfall of XIII, I'd say. The gameplay is adequate at best, but the slow realization that the story is a cliche-ridden, poorly-written mess just highlights that it isn't worth the player's time. There are far, far better game stories out there, and ones which even inhabit more solid gaming experiences.

Although I think FFXIII is a bad game, it's not bad in the way that, say, Superman for the N64 is - far from it, actually. FFXIII is exactly what the developers wanted it to be, so it really can't be criticized for being a failure. The developers should be commended for fleshing out their vision so well - it's just unfortunate that their vision ends up being so profoundly uninteresting.

Beowulf
05-26-2010, 04:52 AM
It's the best recent one, in my opinion. I don't count eleven, since it was online, and twelve...welll....not so much...I couldn't get too into that one...the battle system ruined it. While XIII was linear, they fixed the battle system up quite nicely, and the story was driven along quite well. Some nice plot twists here and there, really. All in all, I liked it. Although post game...ehhh....

VeloZer0
05-26-2010, 04:59 AM
Although I think FFXIII is a bad game, it's not bad in the way that, say, Superman for the N64 is - far from it, actually. FFXIII is exactly what the developers wanted it to be, so it really can't be criticized for being a failure. The developers should be commended for fleshing out their vision so well - it's just unfortunate that their vision ends up being so profoundly uninteresting.
I don't have anything to add, but I liked this passage so much I had to give you props.

Rodney
05-26-2010, 05:32 AM
Exactly. I'm not even done yet, but I'm still gonna say it was a good game.

Except for those two magic-dependent monsters on this one Mission I'm stuck on.

Loony BoB
05-26-2010, 10:46 AM
I enjoyed it, therefore it was good.

*Devore*
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't call it a bad game, more like a disappointing game. So out of the two choices, i'd have to say its good.

Future Esthar
05-28-2010, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't call it a bad game, more like a disappointing game. So out of the two choices, i'd have to say its good.

This.

I really hope this end all polls because this hate/love threads are becoming boring.

Rostum
05-31-2010, 08:28 AM
I really hope this end all polls because this hate/love threads are becoming boring.

Guys, even the crazy theorist dude of the forums is thinking this.

Future Esthar
06-01-2010, 11:49 PM
That really says much.
And people who ask for opinions should be directed to the love/hate threads instead of letting new threads open to repeat the same thing over and over.

Jings
06-02-2010, 03:30 AM
I voted no. I enjoyed it I guess, but I have no desire to ever play it again and around halfway through it started to feel more like work than fun.

Lexy
06-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Yes, Final Fantasy XIII is a great game. Almost as good as the South Park game for N64.

The Space Pope
06-11-2010, 03:20 PM
2/5

Rocket Edge
06-12-2010, 02:07 PM
FFXIII is the worst game I've ever played, and that is no exaggeration.

Laddy
06-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Good game, entertaining and engaging, but the plot needs some work and gameplay could be more refined.

Good, not great.

Future Esthar
06-12-2010, 06:30 PM

Worst than FFX-2? lol

Lexy
06-13-2010, 02:47 AM
The question was directed at someone else, but I for one would say that FF X-2 is a better and more enjoyable game than XIII. The characters in X-2 were way better.

Rocket Edge
06-14-2010, 01:23 AM

Worst than FFX-2? lol
FFX-2 wasn't even a great game but It is infinitely better than XIII IMO.

Future Esthar
06-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Naah.

FFXIII characters are much more serious than FFX-2.

Christmas
06-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Serious character = Better game? :bigsmile:

champagne supernova
06-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Well, as games are utterly useless, they would be considered art (according to Oscar Wilde and many other art critics). And art is not judged merely by technique, but also on meaning (look at Guernica for example). So characters -> story -> meaning -> part of art.

That is my viewpoint at least.

Shin Gouken
06-17-2010, 12:36 PM

My problem with X-2 is the huge diarrhea :bou::bou::bou::bou: it took on FFX

Future Esthar
06-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Donīt go tell me now that ffXIII is worst than FFI or FFII.
Has FFI a storyline?Where?.FFXIII storyline makes me like it more than FFI despite not having towns or open places.
And this is saying much considering I like time travel storylines.

champagne supernova
06-17-2010, 09:23 PM
You know what is quite weird. I'm playing FFIX at the moment and I love the towns. They just feel so old-school, so NES & SNES FF. But at the time, people criticised the game for being a regression backwards, because at that time, games had moved in a certain direction. I think XIII in hindsight will be considered really great, pulling FF into a positive new direction. Yes, it might not be perfect, but it is on a new frontier, pushing FF somewhere unique, so these inadequacies are acceptable. And I think the FFs that we see from now on will have taken something from XIII.

Flying Arrow
06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
^ FFI has a 'storyline' insofar in that it strings everything loosely together for the purpose of a coherent adventure. Really, it's more of a vague plot than anything, and one step above non-existent. XIII's story is... well, more elaborate. Comparing it to FFI's story 1:1 is really rather silly, considering one is an HD game and the other is one of the first 8-bit NES RPGs.

As far as individual games go, FFI, I contend, is the better game. Just for 'story' reasons, I'd go with cute little FFI rather than sit through XIII's monstrosity masquerading as a plot a second time.

Lexy
06-18-2010, 01:03 AM
Donīt go tell me now that ffXIII is worst than FFI or FFII.
Has FFI a storyline?Where?.FFXIII storyline makes me like it more than FFI despite not having towns or open places.
And this is saying much considering I like time travel storylines.

FFXIII is worse than I or II. I and II are fun games that work correctly, XIII is just a mess. XIII has a bit more of a story than those games, but the story isn't well told. I honestly prefer the graphics of I and II as well. :choc:

Meat Puppet
06-18-2010, 01:43 AM
If this poll actually ends all polls I’ll eat my hat

LowCaloriePie
06-18-2010, 02:19 AM

You haven't played many games, have you?

Future Esthar
06-18-2010, 08:44 PM
FFI and FFIIīs graphics better than XIII? Impossible.FFXIII is realistic.

I did go with FFI if it wasnīt so difficult.

FFII is the worst anyway.Worst than FFX-2 ever.
Didnīt really like the game.The story is a little more elaborated and bigger than I but itīs quality is worst.
It is repetitive and donīt have a definite goal.

LowCaloriePie
06-18-2010, 09:55 PM
story is a little more elaborated and bigger than I but itīs quality is worst. It is repetitive and donīt have a definite goal.

You're taking down an evil empire, simple as that. How is that not definite? :|

Future Esthar
06-18-2010, 10:21 PM
I was referring to me main villain here.
He want to conquer the world but donīt have a definite plan.He tries everything he has at hand.This makes the story go indefinite.

Lexy
06-19-2010, 12:59 AM
FFI and FFIIīs graphics better than XIII? Impossible.FFXIII is realistic.

To me, FFI's graphics are more pleasing than XIII's. I would rather look at nes graphics than FFXIII's modern graphics where everyone's arms and legs look like tubes and everyone's skin looks shiny and oily. Everything in XIII is way too shiny. No world is that shiny.

Future Esthar
06-19-2010, 12:25 PM
So you prefer 8 bit graphics than realistic 3d ones?I respect you but found that unusual.

seiferalmasy2
06-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I think the point he was making was that today's graphics are over the top and detract from the realism? That the older games allowed you to accept the world easier... not that today's graphics are worse or anything...

I am not sure I totally agree but there is some truth to it with the over the top nature part.

VeloZer0
06-19-2010, 03:48 PM
So you prefer 8 bit graphics than realistic 3d ones?I respect you but found that unusual.
I don't find it that outlandish. I'm the same way. It is kind of the difference between reading a book and watching a movie. With more primitive graphics it is up to your imagination to fill the gaps.
Quite often I find I don't like character artwork and HD sprites of 16 and 32 bit characters, because the way the developer saw them is different from the way I saw them.

Lexy
06-20-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't find it that outlandish. I'm the same way. It is kind of the difference between reading a book and watching a movie. With more primitive graphics it is up to your imagination to fill the gaps.
Quite often I find I don't like character artwork and HD sprites of 16 and 32 bit characters, because the way the developer saw them is different from the way I saw them.

Exactly!

Future Esthar
06-20-2010, 02:17 PM
I see.