PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Final Fantasy

Ragebrain The Enraged
05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
The old thread isn't valid anymore and doesn't have all the games on it, plus people might have changed their mind since then. :D

Clo
05-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Oh, you said FFXIII! That's really interesting -- I haven't heard anyone say that's their favorite yet.

Rantz
05-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Still IX! :D

Fynn
05-26-2010, 06:47 PM
XII, for various reasons.

Momiji
05-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Still FFIV. :p

Depression Moon
05-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Still IX! :D

Wolf Kanno
05-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Still sticking to my non-vote. :colbert:

Here's my previous comment on the question...

I can't cast a vote on this. In the past I use to have a ranking system but in recent years its started to fall apart and on any given day it will fall into any one of these titles. My top FFs are the ones that had the greatest impact on me and generally changed my view in some way. The games that really inspired me and showed me the true essence of the Final Fantasy Experience.

The four titles in question are IV, VI, IX, and XII. :cool: Granted titles like I, III, and V also had an impact on me but not on the level that these four titles did.

IV was the first FF I owned and despite having played through half of VI before touching this game, it really changed my views on gaming and fantasy. Its story was groundbreaking for its time and even today its hard to find stories about villains seeking redemption to be told this well (ignoring some of the cheese of course). Sure it pulled your heart strings a bit, only to turn around and give you a Disney style ending, but these are characters we grew to love despite not realizing it.

Seeing everyone come back for the finale filled me with emotions I didn't think I would have. I had not realized until then how much I cared about each of them. It also had so many grandiose moments. Despite technology limitations, I believe it was still easy to feel the grandiose aura of such moments as Cecil's rebirth as a Paladin, the twins sacrifice, Tellah's death, the battle with the Giant of Babil and the final battle against Zeromus. The serious weight of those moments could still be felt from such tiny pixelated sprites and over a decade later. :onnanoko:

VI was the first FF I had ever played and the first traditional console RPG. This game changed my life. It not only was a breathtaking adventure with wonderful ideas and a beautiful and memorable cast that still has not been beat today; but it also changed my view of what a game could be. Before VI, games were just fun entertainment. After VI, I realized that gaming could be art with as much of an impact as great literary and cinematic works.

A wonderful cast, an amazing story, beautiful designs, and excellent direction in story and gaming. VI was the first time I felt for fictional game characters. I wanted to help Terra who was lost in her own identity. I cheered for Locke as he tried to save Rachel and pursue Celes. I was understanding in regards to Sabin's desire for freedom and I admired Edgar for sacrificing his own, so his brother could have his wish. My heart wrenched as Cyan watched his family die and then see their spirits pass on. I wanted to comfort Setzer as he reminisced about Darly; and my heart dropped into despair as I watched Celes try to take her own life cause she had finally given up...

To this day, very few games can touch me on this emotional level and it happens every time I play it. Its not just nostalgia its just the games ability to draw me into its world so beautifully. An ability it has had for me for over a decade now. Its apocalyptic plot twists, its enchanting and genre defining soundtrack, its cinematic scope, and its lovable but menacing villain who showed that evil does not have to be something supernatural, it exist even now in the real world and perhaps no evil force is more terrifying and dangerous than the evil that is man. :mog:

IX was a game I had been waiting for since VI. VII and VIII were games I appreciated more on a technological level than for story or character (with one exception in regards to VIII). They were flashy but it always felt too fake to me. Like the games were trying really hard to outdo themselves and impress me. It made for nice eye candy but I wanted something with a little less pretension.

I wanted something to combine the solid story mechanics and well thought out characters of old games but combine it with the technology and flair of recent titles. IX is not just a game that goes back to its roots; to me I agree with Hironobu Sakeguchi when he said that FF IX it the quintessential FF. The one that defines what the series really is.

Bringing together a wonderful ensemble of characters, a rich world filled with wonder and inspiration, a fantastic musical score, and a plot that was perfectly executed. It balanced nicely the need for action and the need for calm, its characters were more down to earth and though many had world shattering problems, they dealt with them in a much more down to earth way. The cast was so goofy at times that the serious moments didn't feel like some forced emotional exchange in some sad attempt at being "artsy" yet they were so likable and relatable that when those moments happen; you felt like falling down and crying right beside them. A good cast with depth is not one that has a well though out back story filled with history and intrigue, its a cast that can make you feel for their plight no matter how silly it seems or whether their motivation can be explained in a simple sentence rather than pages.

The game wonderfully tied in its theme of Meaning of Life. It never felt forced like VIIs but it was something the player was constantly aware of unlike VIIIs. Each character walked a different path and found different meanings. Yet it wasn't something that was really spelled out for the player, its just something you figure out as you play along.

Combine these elements with good gameplay and the best FMV cutscenes in the series and I feel its easy to understand how Sakeguchi could make such a bold statement for a title that is hounded for being "unoriginal" or "kiddy". Its depth is there you just need to look past the shallow aspects of perception and realize that even though it took so many elements from previous FFs unlike those FFs it did them right. :quina:

XII restored my faith in the series. The last few SE titles had gone into a direction I really felt I couldn't support. At the time I was beginning to feel that FF could no longer be counted as the "groundbreaking innovative series that all other rpg were judged". By 2006, I felt that not only had a few different series finally pass FF in these regards but that FF itself had lowered its standards to become the formualtic filth that crowded the market. XII was a game I was waiting for, I didn't want to get my hopes up for it, but I knew it would be the title that would make or break the franchise for me. It was being designed by a team that had never let me down. Matsuno had made two other titles that to me, rank up as not only the greatest games, but some of the best stories ever written. Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story.

Yet, XII had many elements I was wary of. The gambit system sounded like a really bad idea and the first pics of pretty boy Vaan were not too inspiring. At times it seemed like XII fell right into the formula of other RPGs. Not to mention the horrendous opinions that spawned from the poorly done demo. When the game was finally released, I let my fears go away and began to play. What transpired was 160+ hours transcendence.

Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes like us and at times feel like it really exists just over the horizon. Its filled with people you know or could easily meet on the streets, even though some have scales or pom-poms. Exploring Ivalice is exploring a real world, just around each horizon is another exotic location with cities that are bustling with people. Monsters roam and interact with each other, each person is unique from one another and every step is filled with history. Ivalice is aplace filled with wonder yet to be found and unlike other titles, by the end you know you've only seen a glimpse of what is really out there.

Its cast, though told in a more muted way has more depth and reality to them than the cardboard cut-outs of other FFs. Basch is a wonderful tragic hero not because his story is outright ghoulish or beyond understanding but because it feels more "real" than other characters. Lady Ashe's journey and characterization is not only beatifully told but it is explained and revealed in way that allowes the player to understand the gravity of her decision, to see how personal it is. We were given a cast not solely placed on the rails of archtype but genuinely broke out and showed us that they were real people.

Its story, though lacking the complexity of other Matsuno titles; still has great bearing and strength cause its not just about the events that are transpiring currently ,but its also about the weight of events that had transpired long before; with heroes we may never know the names of. Even at the end, we understand that what has transpired is not the end of the matter but another link in the chain of history. Its story and world are tied to history and created a level of realism never felt in previous titles. It even goes so far as to create a scenario where the heroes do not battle to save the world. Yet what they fight for is worth more than just the world; and I feel that the philosophical message speaks greater depth than just merely trying to stop some narcissistic madman with a god complex from destrying life on the planet. Sometimes, fighting for ideals can be just as powerful.

Though it has its flaws, XII to me was a game that took a few steps in the right direction. Though it lacks the balance of IX it plunged us into a new way of perceiving things and now its up to fate to see where we go from here. :choc:

Vermachtnis
05-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Still V :cool:

Chris
05-27-2010, 02:00 PM
It's a tie between FFIX, FFX and FFVI. I know, but these three all have special meaning to me, thus why I consider them to be the cream of the crop. It changes, but the order is most often: FFX, FFIX and FFVI.

Crossblades
05-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Still VI :p

IV and IX are not too far behind though :cool:

I Took the Red Pill
05-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I'll say X, though I was real close to putting IV.

charliepanayi
05-27-2010, 08:09 PM
I put VIII, which just about beats IX in my book.

Slothy
05-27-2010, 09:07 PM
It would take something pretty amazing to usurp FFVI for me. Plenty of other great FF games, but nothing that really matches it.

Shin Gouken
05-27-2010, 09:29 PM
XII, for various reasons.

You're not alone, i gave XII my vote too

Del Murder
05-28-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm still sticking with prvious vote of VI and also my previous not reading of WK's long ass comment.

Evastio
05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
FFIV for me. Wolf Kanno summed up my opinion pretty well. In addition, I really like how the start is all heavy hearted and sad (seeing how innocent Mysidians were killed for their crystal) compared to the really complete and happy ending.

Wolf Kanno
06-01-2010, 03:06 AM
I'm still sticking with prvious vote of VI and also my previous not reading of WK's long ass comment.

Hey, I broke it off into sections, you could easily skim through it if you wanted... :p

the AJman
06-01-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm voting for XII on this one.

reinward
06-02-2010, 07:27 PM
toss up between IX and X but i picked IX :)

theundeadhero
06-03-2010, 03:11 AM
FFI NES will always be the most fun for me. I always have the desire to replay it.

Shiny
06-03-2010, 07:16 AM
If this were multiple choice I'd vote for VI, VII, IX, and X.

Breine
06-03-2010, 11:07 PM
IX or VII maybe? It's difficult to say - I love all the FFs for different reasons.

Erin
06-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Final Fantasy X.

Xanthia
06-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Final Fantasy VIII for me <333

It was my first love. I remember standing in the shop... holding both FFVII and FFVIII in my hands. The great decision had to be made... which one should I buy?

In the end I chose FFVIII, and so it was my first and will always be my favourite. Also, come one... Squall is in FFVIII. MWHA <333333

Stiltzkin
07-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Final Fantasy IX of course. Kupo! :mog:

Christmas
07-07-2010, 01:16 PM
FF VI and like Kanno, it's my first FF and my favorite FF!!! :kaoclove:

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Still VII.

Stjewy
07-11-2010, 07:14 PM
FFVII

LowCaloriePie
07-14-2010, 02:47 AM
I'd say Final Fantasy IX. I'm sure nostalgia has a lot to do with it, as it probably does with a lot of you, but I still find it to be a legitimately great game. The battle system was slower than others but I felt the game made up for it with a great cast of characters, otherworldly locations and a soundtrack that immersed me into the experience. I also felt that several events left more of an impact on me than, let's say, Aerith's death in VII or the Opera Scene in VI.

Dreddz
07-18-2010, 07:37 PM
I voted FFVII. Just can't get rid of the memories of me playing this as a kid. Nostalgia conquers all.

Trumpet Thief
07-30-2010, 02:38 AM
My personal favorites are IX and VIII, with my opinion stemming from a mix of nostalgia and just overall enjoyment while playing these games.

Final Fantasy VI and VII are way up there too, however.

razorrozar7
07-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I love IV and XII. They're at the top of my list.

Though I've only just gotten around to VII (sacrilege, I know :erm:) and it's rapidly moving up said list.

FFIX4LIFE
08-02-2010, 01:16 AM
My favorite is IX because after 7 and 8 to me it got WAY to well.. Futuristic to say the least. I like the whole midevil fell to the cities and little villages. Also IX was the Final Fantasy game that got me into Final Fantasy a lot. I had played 5 and 6. I liked them but not that much. then 7 and 8 came around. To be honest, I didn't care for 7 that much cause I don't like Cloud. I liked the depth in 8 but I still didn't favor the main character that much. Then you get to 9 and you have the upbeat optimistic main character who always has a good attitude. I really like that.

Iwrestledabearonce
08-03-2010, 06:42 AM
My vote was VIII, and god, did I love it.

I found the story to be excellent, and I loved the futuristic nature of it (like, Esthar? What a fantastic, well developed city). The characters were incredible, as well; Squall has to be one my favourite characters in all Final Fantasy's.

The junction system was nothing short of incredible; I loved being able to junction magic to my stats to increase them. I Also loved how your enemies levelled up with you, which would therefore eliminate the need to grind and level up (which is a primary worry of mine with every other final fantasy game; therefore the elimination of such a thing was very good). The GF's were very incredible, and their attacks, flawless and awesome (especially Eden).

I also loved how you were able to hear Squall's thoughts, and how you were able to compare them to how he actually acted. I find pretty much everything about this game flawless, especially the music.

Wonderful, wonderful game.

Flying Arrow
08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
VII, followed by VI and V. XII has a spot in there, too, but it's so unlike the other games in the series that I always have a hard time comparing its MMO-styled gameplay to 15-year-old SNES game. I have no problem comparing X (or now XIII) to V and VI, but XII really does things so differently that as far as Final Fantasy-styled Final Fantasies go, it's kind of FF in name only.

That said, these are my four favourites titles to bear the FF name followed by a number. For the record, I voted VII. Far too many great memories for me to say otherwise.

Laddy
08-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I like VII, and before you kick me in the groin and call me fanboy, let me explain.

The Materia System was very good. It allowed you create an almost "Class-like" system, requiring you to take advantage of each characters' innate strengths and weaknesses while giving you enough freedom to alter them as you see fit.

The plot is one of the best in a game. Now, I know there are translation issues and explanation issues, but the theme of Life is very well-implemented and poetically expressed in a way that is surely encouraging. The characters are all very deep and unique, each having personal backgrounds that make them all interesting. Aerith's Death is iconic for a reason: it was unexpected, it was shocking, and it was important.

The game had a sense of humor that few games in the series and genre possess. It was in many ways, a dark game, yet the humor is frequent enough to keep you enjoying the game without ceasing its serious nature.

The visuals were great for their time, the cinematics changed gaming as we know it, and the music is legendary.

Final Fantasy VII is iconic for a reason, while it is not without its flaws, the games is a deeply moving and captivating foray into the human psyche, life, and purpose. I whole-heartedly support it as one of the greatest games of all time.

Bunny
08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Due to the direction that Final Fantasy is seems to be going, Final Fantasy VI will probably remain my favorite Final Fantasy for a very, very long time.

razorrozar7
08-16-2010, 12:02 AM
I like VII, and before you kick me in the groin and call me fanboy, let me explain.

The Materia System was very good. It allowed you create an almost "Class-like" system, requiring you to take advantage of each characters' innate strengths and weaknesses while giving you enough freedom to alter them as you see fit.

The plot is one of the best in a game. Now, I know there are translation issues and explanation issues, but the theme of Life is very well-implemented and poetically expressed in a way that is surely encouraging. The characters are all very deep and unique, each having personal backgrounds that make them all interesting. Aerith's Death is iconic for a reason: it was unexpected, it was shocking, and it was important.

The game had a sense of humor that few games in the series and genre possess. It was in many ways, a dark game, yet the humor is frequent enough to keep you enjoying the game without ceasing its serious nature.

The visuals were great for their time, the cinematics changed gaming as we know it, and the music is legendary.

Final Fantasy VII is iconic for a reason, while it is not without its flaws, the games is a deeply moving and captivating foray into the human psyche, life, and purpose. I whole-heartedly support it as one of the greatest games of all time.

Aerith's death made... GameFAQs, I think it was...? Anyway she made the top 10 OMGWTF moments of all time. And I can see why. When she dies:

Me: OH MY GOD!
My brother: WHAT THE :bou::bou::bou::bou:!

Raistlin
08-16-2010, 01:28 AM
This thread and poll are invalid due to the absence of FFT, which just happens to be the best game in the series.

DD99
08-17-2010, 12:24 PM
My vote was VIII

My favorite is IX

I love XII

IX and VIII

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy VIII for me

Final Fantasy X.

IX

If this were multiple choice I'd vote for IX, and X.

toss up between IX and X

I'm voting for XII

i gave XII my vote

I put VIII

I'll say X

IX is not too far behind

FFX, FFIX

XII

Still IX!
Those games suck.

Final Fantasy VI

razorrozar7
08-17-2010, 05:58 PM
I notice you didn't include VII in your suck list.

LowCaloriePie
08-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Those games suck.

You, sir, have bad taste. :roll2

DD99
08-18-2010, 07:49 AM
No, I don't.

Crossblades
08-18-2010, 05:49 PM
No, I don't.

Then explain why you think those games suck

Bunny
08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Opinions are like assholes: everyone has one and they're full of :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

razorrozar7
08-19-2010, 03:29 AM
:omg: Twice in one day, Bunny and I end up on the same side of an issue.

DD99
08-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Then explain why you think those games suck
Final Fantasy X sucks, because of the story, characters and voice acting.

charliepanayi
08-19-2010, 08:57 AM
It's rather depressing when even the Favourite Final Fantasy thread has people saying why they don't like a particular game. Take it to the Least Favourite thread! :(

razorrozar7
08-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Final Fantasy X rocks because of the story, characters, and voice acting. :bigsmile:

Rantz
08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Yup, there are other threads - in fact entire forums - better suited for criticising the games than here.

razorrozar7
08-19-2010, 01:25 PM
:O_O:Rantzien, I just noticed that your sig stretches to fit the window. Uber.

Rantz
08-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I meant what I said above. I will delete further posts in this thread solely made to slag off games, as I have done with the two before.

Wolfen
08-28-2010, 05:01 PM
I can't decide. It's a tie between IV, VI, VII, and IX.

I don't know how any of you choose. :<

razorrozar7
09-02-2010, 06:33 AM
It wasn't easy. It helps not to have played them all.

Wolfen
09-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I've played (and beaten) the first nine.

Elpizo
09-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Because nobody else will do it, I'll vote III. I really do love III, though there are other titles that I really love. But those titles get enough support on their own, while III doesn't, so I'll lend III a hand.

III is the most underrated entry in the series, no doubt because it took 16 years before it came out in the west. Yet it's also one of the most important titles in the series, the game where many of the series' later stereotypes and elements were born in. If any game can be called groundbreaking, earthshattering for its time, it's III without a doubt.

III has influenced every title that came after it. IV almost downright ripped-off its final villain, V took its job system, VI I hate and won't talk about. Even IX took the motivation of the villain of III (Zande) and applied it in a more developed way to Kuja. But not only that. In this game, the Enterprise, Moogles, final boss music and boss music was born. In this game, villains got a reason for being who they were. In this game, the series tried to be deep and deal with matters like the meaning of life for the first time.

So much came from this game, and most people just can't see it. But even if you take off the nostalgia glasses, III is still, no matter what version, DS or NES, you play, just an all-around fun RPG to play through, even now, in 2010.

Long live Final Fantasy III! :D

razorrozar7
09-02-2010, 11:49 PM
The MMORPG still has no votes. Maybe XIV won't do so well...

Flying Arrow
09-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Long live Final Fantasy III! :D

YES!

Games I prefer Final Fantasy III over: I, II, IV, VIII, X, XIII

In other words, it's probably one of my top-5. In my eyes, it's when the FF series started getting good. Sure, I didn't play it until years after its original release, but I still had a great time with it and do prefer it to its immediate successor. I played the DS remake a bit, but didn't really get into it. There's nothing wrong with it, but I do prefer the 8-bit charm of the original.

Hollycat
09-18-2010, 05:34 PM
crisis core

VeloZer0
09-19-2010, 06:24 PM
In other words, it's probably one of my top-5. In my eyes, it's when the FF series started getting good. Sure, I didn't play it until years after its original release,
Ditto here. The problem is though I think it is an amazing game in it's own right the rest of the series is still chock full of astounding other games. Even though it is in right in the middle of my raking of FF series games it is still probably in my top 25 games of all time.

Flying Arrow
09-20-2010, 10:23 AM
^ Yeah. I often get the urge to play it but then usually end up playing the superior FFV. Of course, V probably wouldn't exist as it does without III, so go III!

Also, other than the two Chrono games and probably FFVI, it has the most bitchin' overworld themes of any RPG. 'Eternal Wind' and 'Boundless Ocean' are something else, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't generally remember game theme titles.

Elskidor
10-18-2010, 01:10 AM
FFVI for life. Still!

Raven Riley
11-14-2010, 05:31 AM
It has always been Final Fantasy VIII for me! Ever since I was little and saw my bro playing it :jess:

AstonMartin
02-26-2011, 02:34 AM
ive played IV,VII,VIII,X and XIII but XIII is my favorite and VII my second favorite so whoop! :D

Naeva
03-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Final Fantasy VIII was my first :blush:
Since then I have loved it the most of all the FF games up till now. I love the story, and the characters.

Kaie
04-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Of the games since 2000, I loved the freedom of Final Fantasy XII, but I also really liked FFVI. Difficult choice.

Have good hopes for FFXIII-VS since it will give us an open map again :jess:

Hollycat
04-30-2011, 03:17 AM
not even one person has voted for ff2.

why is CC not on the list?

Jiro
04-30-2011, 04:04 AM
FF2 is definitely an underdog.

These polls usually stick to the main games. If you included every FF game you would need 30-something poll options.

-JJ-
05-04-2011, 08:58 PM
I voted FFVI!

Last time I voted IX, and I still would, but i'm no fan of the storyline,
I just adore the sheer amount of chars on FVI,
...and it's the only chance to be a Moogle. VERY important.
I always name mog after myself, regardless of me being a Male. Moogles rock. :D

VI Forever!

Rodney
05-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Went with 13.

Depression Moon
05-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I voted FFVI!

Last time I voted IX, and I still would, but i'm no fan of the storyline,
I just adore the sheer amount of chars on FVI,
...and it's the only chance to be a Moogle. VERY important.
I always name mog after myself, regardless of me being a Male. Moogles rock. :D

VI Forever!
Mog is a male. Or are you talking about Mog from IX?

Phantom Beast
06-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I just thought It would not be manly to name a Moogle after oneself instead of someone "Cool" like Setzer or whatever. Screw 'em!

I kinda thought that Pink Moogles were the Females on IX,
But That's just another assumption :D

Rebellious Eagle
06-23-2011, 04:53 PM
V and VI still take the cake for me. I absolutely love them to pieces and have relayed them over and over again.

Pumpkin
06-23-2011, 07:04 PM
My favorite is IX because Vivi + Quina = AWESOMNESS (I'm not referring to the marriage thing, that was just.... wrong..)

Kenshin IV
10-15-2011, 08:13 PM
I am shocked to see Final Fantasy IX get so much love -- even more love than Six. Quite pleased, too; when Nine first came out it was vastly underappreciated. Personally, it's my fourth fave in the series (after Seven, Six, and Four -- in that order), but it's nice to see Nine get more credit from the next generation of Final Fantasy fans.

Carl the Llama
10-17-2011, 01:03 AM
I love VII the most of all the FF's, all of you people who don't like this can SUCK IT! xD