PDA

View Full Version : Least Favourite Final Fantasy

Ragebrain The Enraged
05-26-2010, 06:42 PM
:D

Fynn
05-26-2010, 06:46 PM
I have to go with X. Though I like the game, to me it lacked some substance. To much cheese for my taste. Haven't played XIII yet, so my entry to the poll isn't actually valid, now is it?

Ragebrain The Enraged
05-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Of course it's valid! :D

Wolf Kanno
05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
We already have this thread actually (it even has a poll (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/121544-least-favorite-final-fantasy.html)) :D

Rantz
05-26-2010, 07:33 PM
In the vein of the other thread, I think this can replace the old one! New FF warrants a new thread, I'd say. :)

Ragebrain The Enraged
05-26-2010, 07:35 PM
yay! :D

Momiji
05-26-2010, 07:38 PM
It's still FFVII. o_O

theundeadhero
05-26-2010, 10:56 PM
FFIII is my least favorite.

Meat Puppet
05-26-2010, 11:22 PM
VIII was my least favorite of the two I have played.

Wolf Kanno
05-27-2010, 02:11 AM
Fine, have your new thread... see what I care... :colbert: j/k

I'm basically going to just re-post what I said in the other thread. As bad as XIII is, it still does not infuriate me as badly as FFX did which was a game that thoroughly disappointed me in almost every way imaginable. At least with XIII, I was aware of its problems and able to ease into them so the game never felt as terrible.

My original post...

X, I voted awhile back and even made a post but decided to remove it. The most bland game in the series which borrows from VII and the Tale of the Yamato no Orochi but fails to bring anything new and exciting to it. Unless you count the http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif twist about Tidus and Dream Zanarkand. Interesting battle system dumbed down to the level of single cell organisms. At least II and VIII's systems were fun even if for awhile. Easily my most disappointing FF which only redeeming value is that it showed Square could do decent VA work. Beyond that, despite being the newer game in the series, it lags behind in innovation from gameplay to storytelling to music from every other FF in the series. Even its poorly made sequel has more redeeming qualities.

As well as...
http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/114449-best-final-fantasy.html

The fact I felt obligated to make this thread...
http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/122499-wolf-kannos-swear-jar-thread.html

I had fun with this thread...
http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/120630-what-feels-like-when-nerd-collide.html

Did this thread more than few times across multiple boards...
http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/120658-sphere-grid-vs-licence-board.html

So yeah, despite XIII's bad design, X was still a much more disappointing game for me and still wins my award for worst entry.

Vermachtnis
05-27-2010, 05:51 AM
VIII, I blame the fact that I only liked 2 of the 6 characters.

Clo
05-27-2010, 06:11 AM
I was going to vote, but then I realized how much my mood fluctuates and how biased or unfair I feel in my attitude. I want to say III, but that game is so old, and though I'm taking into consideration the time they come from, I feel like I'm still being biased. I mean, I played I and II and they were alright, and I wonder if I'm being more sympathetic toward THEM because they're the foundation for the series, whereas poor III just happens to be released too late to be considered "foundational" so my sympathies are gone.

And then I kind of want to say FFXII, because I tried to play the game again last summer so I could show my boyfriend what was up with it, and I grew unbelievably frustrated with it by the prison scene. Yet I remember I really enjoyed the battle system and locations the first time I played it, which is more than I could ever see for III, but the TIME difference!

Therefore, I guess I can just post this and be wishy-washy on my opinion. I'd rather talk about favorites anyway. :D

Chris
05-27-2010, 01:56 PM
FFXII. I admit, I hated everything about it, except for the story. The entire thing boggled my mind, and it was a true kill-joy. The entire gameplay was tiresome and I don't remember a single song from the game. To me, the music is 40% of a Final Fantasy game. FFXII is a chore, and no Final Fantasy game should ever feel like a chore to complete.

Depression Moon
05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
VIII was my least favorite of the two I have played.

Two? Damn, I thought you had played more than that considering your join date.
Since X-2 isn't on this poll then
It's still FFVII. o_O

seiferalmasy2
05-27-2010, 03:31 PM
needs to have a max of 4 options allowable...I could only pick XIII when I would have added XII

Slothy
05-27-2010, 09:04 PM
It used to be FFVIII. Then I played FFXIII; the game so bad my PS3 chose death rather than being forced to run it any longer. :D

Omni-Odin
05-27-2010, 09:12 PM
IV, V, VI, and IX: I bow to you. No votes.

My least favorite is Final Fantasy III. No feeling, except for the "life is beautiful" thing.

Del Murder
05-28-2010, 11:57 PM
8 and 7 are the leaders? Really people?

My least favorite is II. I just could not get passed that battle system. It's also one of the first games so it was missing many of the elements that made the series great.

Rantz
05-29-2010, 12:15 AM
I agree with the above post.

Levian
05-31-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm not going to judge II or III since I've never played them. XII has been the biggest let down to me.

Jessweeee♪
05-31-2010, 07:36 AM
FFIV.

Del Murder
05-31-2010, 05:55 PM
The fact that FFVII leads this poll leads me to believe that many of the people voting have only played FFVII thus making it both your favorite and least favorite. If you like Final Fantasy at all I don't know how you can not like FFVII.

seiferalmasy2
05-31-2010, 08:13 PM
When there have been 100+ votes you will probably see that VII isn't so high :) I think anyone that voted VII is completely bonkers.

VeloZer0
05-31-2010, 10:19 PM
I think it has a little more to do with backlash against it being the most popular of the series. And by think I mean I am almost 100% sure.

Momiji
05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
When there have been 100+ votes you will probably see that VII isn't so high :) I think anyone that voted VII is completely bonkers.

Is that so? :|

Vermachtnis
05-31-2010, 10:49 PM
It's just a shot in the dark, but maybe, just maybe some people do have actual legitimate reasons for not liking VII.

VeloZer0
05-31-2010, 10:56 PM
It's just a shot in the dark, but maybe, just maybe some people do have actual legitimate reasons for not liking VII.
Not liking it and considering it the worst of the series are two very different things.

Vermachtnis
05-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Not liking it and considering it the worst of the series are two very different things.

Not really, if you don't like it then you're not going to say it's the best and besides the title is Least Favorite :p

Shin Gouken
05-31-2010, 11:37 PM

I for one am glad that there are people that dislike VII. There seems to be plenty of hate for other FF titles which don't deserve it. All this really shows is that people who dislike FFVII simply aren't as vocal, either that or it's not deemed "Cool" to bash FFVII like it seems to be for other FF's.

I'm actually surprised that the people who love FFVII are shocked that not everyone agrees with them. VII isn't without it's merit, but it suffers from just as many flaws as any other FF game. It comes down to taste and wouldn't you know, FFVII isn't everyones cup of tea

Jessweeee♪
06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
For years here FFVII hate was rampant, probably because it was totally worshiped and people were fed up with VINCENT LOVES YUFFIE <3 threads. Everyone who at least thought it was okay got fed up with all of the negativity and it's currently being shown the appropriate amount of love. I think FFIX is about to take its place.

Del Murder
06-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Being swayed by such trivial things is silly. Like the game or hate the game for the experience you get while playing it, not by any external factors.

People can not like FFVII, I just find it hard to believe that anyone who has played the majority of the series can consider it their least favorite. If you prefer the old school FFs then why would you dislike VII more than XIII? Or if you like the super shiny graphic games why prefer II over VII? It's the literal midpoint of the series right now so for anything you dislike about it chances are it was done worse in another game.

Slothy
06-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Or someone could just hate FFVII for reasons completely unrelated to nostalgia or graphics. There's still the story, characters, gameplay, etc. :p

Momiji
06-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Being swayed by such trivial things is silly. Like the game or hate the game for the experience you get while playing it, not by any external factors.

People can not like FFVII, I just find it hard to believe that anyone who has played the majority of the series can consider it their least favorite. If you prefer the old school FFs then why would you dislike VII more than XIII? Or if you like the super shiny graphic games why prefer II over VII? It's the literal midpoint of the series right now so for anything you dislike about it chances are it was done worse in another game.

Really, to be honest, I would have voted X-2 but it wasn't on the list. :p

Wolf Kanno
06-01-2010, 03:03 AM

Come now Del, VII is toward my bottom of lists of FFs as well, while I can't say I hate the game, it leaves much to be desired for me cause I can't stand the cast (my least favorite cast) and the second disc is poorly written imho. Not to mention I found game balance goes out the window midway through it. Really, I just wasn't that impressed and parts of the game have not aged well since then. I feel these are pretty legitimate reasons not to like a game, I find it baffling when people hate on III, IV, VI, and IX but people have different taste. Go figure. :D

Shiny
06-01-2010, 05:19 AM
FFXII blows like the wind.

Del Murder
06-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Come now Del, VII is toward my bottom of lists of FFs as well, while I can't say I hate the game, it leaves much to be desired for me cause I can't stand the cast (my least favorite cast) and the second disc is poorly written imho. Not to mention I found game balance goes out the window midway through it. Really, I just wasn't that impressed and parts of the game have not aged well since then. I feel these are pretty legitimate reasons not to like a game, I find it baffling when people hate on III, IV, VI, and IX but people have different taste. Go figure. :D
So it's your least favorite and you've played them all?

I'm not saying no one can hate the game. I'm just saying anyone who has played I-XIII and thinks VII is the worst is odd to me. Chances are people who voted VII would hate at least one the ones they haven't played more. :p

Wolf Kanno
06-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes I've played them all and its my third least favorite FF. I never had the serious issues with the other titles. I found VII to be rather disappointing and not living up to its hype. Doesn't mean I hate the game but playing through the game does not garner the same kind of enthusiasm or attention the other titles bring me.

Clo
06-01-2010, 05:53 PM
not living up to its hype.

I hate to get into this, because people can dislike whatever they want, but maybe the very existence of the hype can tarnish something. Because I played FFVII when it first came out in the States, and it was a brand new thing no one had well-known opinions about, so I had this untouched experience of it.

This leads this down an extremely, extremely subjective road though, I just wanted to comment about the hype really. Because the subsequent hype of that game has MORTIFIED me.

In other news, I am very sad that FFVIII is up there, even though there's a lot of good reasons for disliking it. I just really enjoy that game, for bizarre little reasons. To the point where my boyfriend was nervous to confess to me that he didn't like it. Though I understood, it's sad. :p

reinward
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
toss up between XIII and XII for me, but i went with XIII

Breine
06-03-2010, 04:20 PM
It's become cool to dislike VII because it's probably the most popular Final Fantasy game out there. But hey, people are totally allowed to dislike it, I'm just saying that it might be one of the reasons why it's getting so many votes.

As for my least favourite FF? Hmm, I don't really know actually... I haven't played XIII and III yet, but out of the ones I have played I'd probably have to say something like II. I just never really got that much into it - just lost the interest. Maybe I need to give it a second chance, eh?

Erin
06-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Final Fantasy X-2. I hated that game.

Xanthia
06-09-2010, 03:46 PM
... X-2.

Nothing more need be said for me :D

Miriel
06-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Least favorite = FFVIII

SO MUCH HATE.

aquatius
06-29-2010, 06:04 PM
I could never get much pleasure out of IV, for some reason.

Raistlin
07-01-2010, 01:42 AM

I agree with this.

I disagree with this. There is much more to games than the graphics and settings, and it is certainly possible to dislike some of that other stuff from FFVII enough (story, writing, characters, gameplay, etc.). FFVII is not close to the worst for me, personally, but I concede that the writing is pretty terrible.

EDIT: My least favorite would have to be either X or VIII. I also approve of FFT not being on this list, since it is obviously superior and can be no sane person's least favorite.

Vivisteiner
07-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Just completed FFXIII and I think it's what I'd vote for...

But I'll wait a bit. Don't want to make a rash decision.

Forsaken Lover
07-05-2010, 09:24 PM
They all suck equally in the face of Xenogears.

Also, I voted 8. I got it in the lead. Yay.

Stjewy
07-11-2010, 07:15 PM
FFXII

Carnage-
07-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Probably II. Unbelievably annoying and difficult to play through.

LowCaloriePie
07-14-2010, 02:38 AM
I don't want to jump on any bandwagons here but I really have to say Final Fantasy VIII. I swear to God, I've seriously tried to play through this game several times and I've never been able to get past the first disk. I reeeeally wanted to enjoy this game. I've been watching HCBailly's Let's Play and I can't say it's impressing me. I'd say the biggest problem I have with it is that I'm not connecting with any of the characters. If I can't connect with the characters, I truly find it difficult to care about their journeys and the overall story. Top that with a fairly poor love story between two, in my opinion, unlikeable characters who really have little chemistry between each other and I have completely lost interest. As intriguing as the junction system is, it's not enough to keep me going.

Oddly enough, I actually loved Final Fantasy II. For it's time, I thought it had a very interesting leveling system and I found it very engaging. It's kind of disappointing that Square-Enix hasn't really done anything with it in the remakes. It's a very dated system and it's especially apparent when they continue to port the game to newer systems.

Dreddz
07-18-2010, 07:34 PM
To be honest the game I have the least interest in playing is FFI. Not really fair as it is obviously a product of its time but there is absolutely nothing that stands out in that game. I do have respect for the title though so I don't want to throw down the hate.

FFXIII on the other hand could have been so much more than what it was. The design decisions placed in that game are so flawed that I have grown to hate the title. I might rather play it than say FFI but I have less respect for it.

Of course I screwed up and voted FFIII before thinking about what I was gonna post. Darn.

razorrozar7
07-30-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm going to have to say XI. Simply by virtue of the fact that it costs $12.95 a month. :mad2: And now they're doing the same thing with bloody XIV... -_-

FFIX4LIFE
08-02-2010, 01:20 AM
FFVII lacked a good main character. I hate Cloud. He was just to cold.. And FFVIII's Squall wasn't much better..

Flying Arrow
08-02-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm positive I posted an answer in this thread, but I can't find it. Maybe it was in a different thread. That post was in the pre-XIII days, though, when I still thought X was the lame duck of the series (it's pointless to pick on II). Now that I'm all caught up, the easy answer is XIII - hell, I'm frankly stunned it's not getting 100% of the votes. Y'all should be ashamed.

On a positive note, it's good to see two of my top games haven't yet gotten a vote (V and VI)!

Wolf Kanno
08-02-2010, 02:53 AM
You know, the sad thing is, I'm actually starting to think about changing my answer. I'm starting to think XIII really deserves my loathing more cause despite X failing to live up to the expectations I had for it; I can't in good conscience overlook how much XIII took all of X's faults and took it to the nth degree. The fact that XIII makes the interactive movie that is X actually feel like a good game to me is just an astonishing testament to how far XIII took linearity and bad writing...

Laddy
08-02-2010, 04:32 AM
FFXII. The combat was good but not nearly as good as say, X's. The characters of Pneleo and Vaan were annoying and had little to do with anything, (neither did Fran, but I liked her.) The plot lacked the emotional involvement that made me love games such as IV, VI, VII, and IX.

Forsaken Lover
08-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Final Fantasy IX.

It's clearly a kid's game.
The heroes all look really stoopid.
The villain is a crossdresser.

xXsarahXx
08-02-2010, 03:26 PM
XII gets my vote each and every time.
Ive not come across a game where I hated each and every single little thing about it.
The story was dull, the characters had the same level of personality as a cardboard box, the music sucked, I hated the combat system just all of it, ughhhh.

The only 2 redeeming features of that entire game, Fran and Balthier.

Ive gotten up to the last part of the game and just lost interest and cant bring myself to touch it again.

Iwrestledabearonce
08-03-2010, 06:35 AM
FFIX For sure.

Story, characters; full of cliche's, and were very dull. Each of the side characters weren't developed well at all; stories of characters like Freya are only touched upon in maybe one scene? Quina is just a dumb, creepy fish thing, with no good back story at all. The story mainly concentrates on Zidane, Vivi, and Garnet.

Battle was way too slow for my liking, even with the battle speed set to the highest possible in the Config menu. There was literally no challenge in it (except for Ozma, which is completely optional... I didn't even find Hades that difficult).

I don't like how it went back to tradition either. They go from FFVIII, probably the most untraditional final fantasy game ever, and then all of sudden want to go back to tradition, and decide to pull enemies from the very first one? Ability system was dull, as is pretty much everything else about the game (save for the music).

Yeah, not my fave, at all.

DD99
08-17-2010, 11:15 AM
There are more than 13 Final Fantasy games.

Probably II. Unbelievably annoying and difficult to play through.
No, it's not.

My least favorite is II
That game does not suck.

VIII and VII are the leaders?
No, VIII and XII are.

IX: I bow to you. No votes.
That game sucks.

Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

Lamia
12-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Final Fantasy VIII.

I thought the junction system was broken and did not like the characters. The game's style was meant to bank on the success of VII IMO.

Project G
01-16-2011, 03:00 PM
XII all the way! For a start, Vaan was a douche, there was too much emphasis on graphics and not enough on storyline and playability (Length of game), plus I was pretty pissed to find out that the summon creatures that I grew up with and loved are all airships

Dark Warrior
04-15-2011, 02:54 AM
why people dislike II that much?

I understand VIII.... and even the new ones.... but II?..... Still one of the best for me

-JJ-
05-18-2011, 08:38 PM
I like I, VI, VII, IX & X

After my recent playthrough of VIII, I have decided it is, in fact, worse than XII ^^

XII is ok, but I never felt like I knew the Characters enough, mainly Penelo, Vaan and Fran.
But VIII Is good, for a while, really enjoying it. But after a while, Squall's constant nagging and bellyaching got on my nerves. Seifer would have been a much better villian if they could have worked that into a different plot, the chocobo mini-game needs a pocketstation, so no chocobo hot & cold or chocobo breeding for us, no exp from bosses, the junction system is easy to abuse early on, even without the net, each character gets about 4 weapons, apart from Squall, Limit breaks are overly powerful for the time & place, spending annoying amounts of time drawing is annoying, and Squall does not stop being miserable for TWO disks. TWO!

Still, I like it, it's just the worst, I don't mind any final fantasy, they all have good and bad qualities! Here are the ones I've played;

1-Grinding galore
6-Best cast, but biggest cast = lots of, yep, grinding.
7-Good storyline, but anybody can do anything, apart from each other's L.breaks, which I don't like
8-Card game and final dungeon. Oh, and Laguna's dream sequences.
9-Great cast, great story, card game, maybe not as good, but at least you can't use them to abuse the game like in VIII.
10-A lot of superbosses at the Arena, Good voices, apart from Tidus's. Good storyline.
12-I love the world, 1/2 the cast, monsters are good too, but sometimes it just feels like a chore.

Again, I'd rather talk about which final fantasies are good, because they all are ^.^

Hollycat
05-18-2011, 08:45 PM
nobody dislikes 5

Jiro
05-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Nobody hates it the most ;)

I feel pretty indifferent towards a lot of them because I have either a) not played them (enough) or b) didn't play them as a kid so don't have that nostalgia effect.

I Don't Need A Name
05-25-2011, 01:01 PM
nobody dislikes 5

Sorry, I just voted it. I always found the game tedious and, 9/10, I hate specific job systems.

Slothy
05-30-2011, 03:03 PM
6-Best cast, but biggest cast = lots of, yep, grinding.

Huh? The game is easily beatable if you get four characters to a decent level with good magic and equipment and put at least one in each party in Kefka's Tower. It becomes even easier if you tech at least one other person some decent cure spells, osmose and Ultima. All of this is easily doable by playing the game normally and just changing the party memebrs every now and then. No grinding required.

I love FFVI, but if there's one problem it has it's that it is waaaayyyy too easy.

Phantom Beast
06-02-2011, 09:54 PM
The game is easily beatable if you get four characters to a decent level with good magic and equipment and put at least one in each party in Kefka's Tower.

I Just meant it takes a while to get at least 12 Characters to above level 50 so you can have fun with them all, the Game itself is Child's Play.

Also, after my last post I decided to vote V,
I know the Job System is very fun :D...
...But the Game itself has a poor story,
I just found it boring, and you level up really slow when grinding for the two Ultra-Bosses, I didn't even bother finishing the Game.

XII is close behind, Dull Characters, Dull Story, WORST ending,
(Never been on FFXIII mind you)

Caelheim
06-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Without a doubt, my least favourite FF game is FFXIII. It was far too linear and fast paced, but lacked the depth and substance I crave in an RPG. Add that to an awful cast of characters, absence of a memorable soundtrack and far too much focus put on graphics...and you have my reasoning for utterly despising the game.

Rowan
06-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Probably 12. Had no interest in replaying it. The tower near end game is a nightmare, I never want to experience that again. Characters were abysmal. Story was a star wars rip off. Music was not memorable. Main characters were very annoying. There were a lot of good points about the game though, but to keep it short, ffXII is my least favorite.

I Took the Red Pill
06-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Final Fantasy III, though to be fair I only played the DS remake, no idea if the original would change my mind but I've no real interest in playing it at this point. If we were forced to vote solely on the original media, I would say Final Fantasy XIII.

Rebellious Eagle
06-23-2011, 04:38 PM
XIII is just awful to me. I couldn't even get past disc 1. It just...wasn't Final Fantasy-ish to me, I didn't really like most of the cast, the battle system was just stupid, and I didn't like the whole futuristic look to the world. My favorite thing about Final Fantasy is its medieval-style world and weapons but XIII just couldn't please me in any way.

Dr. Corndog
06-25-2011, 04:38 PM
That's easy: FFII. I think the only reason it isn't leading is that comparatively few people have played it.

magemasher
06-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Out of the ones I completed it would be FF7. I really did not like FF6 I got about 3-4 hours in and I just plain hated it.

demondude
06-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Firstly, who's this Ragebrain douche?

Secondly, Dr. Corndog you have impeccable taste. Absentia is a great album, and I commend you for placing the cover as your avatar.

Thirdly, FFVIII.

Hollycat
06-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Firstly, who's this Ragebrain douche?

Secondly, Dr. Corndog you have impeccable taste. Absentia is a great album, and I commend you for placing the cover as your avatar.

Thirdly, FFVIII.

we closed your riddle thread.

demondude
06-26-2011, 12:15 PM
I know, you :bou::bou::bou::bou:waffles. I had a good lot of posts in there.

Wolf Kanno
06-27-2011, 05:52 AM
Take it to PM guys :p

felfenix
08-21-2011, 12:11 AM
why people dislike II that much?

I understand VIII.... and even the new ones.... but II?..... Still one of the best for me

Gameplay goes a long way for people liking or disliking an FF. It can even influence their enjoyment of the story if they just can't bring themselves to play or hate the actual play parts of the game. I was tempted to vote FF2, just because I hate the stat growth system in that game so much, but on the other hand, it has one of the better stories in the series, so I couldn't bring myself to vote against it.

Bolivar
08-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Wow, old thread, surprised I haven't voted/commented. For the record, I swear: I am not trolling.

I love FFI for the novelty of the genitor of the series, and I think the party-composition choosing at the beginning, borrowed from Ultima, adds to that novelty and lends a lot to replayability. I love FFII, III, and V because I'm a player who loves to sink his teeth into the customization options there and I really feel it's stood the test of time with those games. FFIV and FFXIII don't have much, but I really loved playing them for the experience itself, FFIV being the most FF of the FF titles, and XIII for being an entertainment extravaganza. I love the PS titles because I really think it was the zenith of the series - they built upon the great music, combat, and storytelling, while using all of the variety in the mini-games and set pieces that the later entries forgot about. I love the combat in FFX and it's one of my favorite stories - the end really moved me. FFXII is such a huge, huge game, I love losing myself in that world, the story and acting are fantastic, and there's just so much to get out of the combat.

My least favorite game is FFVI. On the gameplay side, it's broken. Everything is ridiculously overpowered, especially once you get Edgar, near the beginning of the game, with his infinite bow gun spamming. The Esper system does nothing for me, they each only teach a few spells, some give stat bonuses upon level up, others don't, it just doesn't seem well thought out especially since I don't want to teach spells to certain characters. The story was harshly, harshly ruined for me my first time playing. After how insanely hyped it is, having a villain going "ha ha" and telling soldiers to wipe the sand off his boots just doesn't cut it. Some of the moments are really powerful, like the opera scene, Celes' base jumping, and Locke's background. The game is the only entry to have that multiple-party dungeon crawling which is actually incredible. But neither its story nor its gameplay does enough for me to rise above the other entries.

That said, it's not a bad game. I've mentioned some of what it has going for it, and at the end of the day it's a very strong title. I'm not one of the conflicted FF fans like everyone else seems to be - I really love the entire series, from the older games to the newer ones and my affinity is strong for both ends of the spectrum. It's just FFVI does the least and I don't think I can get over the disappointment I originally felt on my first playthrough. In that sense, I can sympathize as to why hype might ruin FFVIIs image for some people.

clowd
09-01-2011, 04:27 AM
The idea VII got 8 votes as of today reminds me of how trendy it is to bash/hate the game today

Kenshin IV
10-15-2011, 08:16 PM
The idea VII got 8 votes as of today reminds me of how trendy it is to bash/hate the game today

Agreed. Sadly.