PDA

View Full Version : Static or changing party?

YTDN
05-26-2010, 08:18 PM
What it says on the tin. Do you like having a party that gets together relatively early and never changes after that, or goes through many permutations throughout the game.

Personally, in a story sense, I prefer parties that change alot because it gives a sense that everyone's their own character with their own business, but in a gameplay sense I prefer static parties because then I don't end up with certain members being hideously underleveled.

Mo-Nercy
05-27-2010, 03:50 AM
I think I prefer the changing parties. I like it when characters leave the party for a story-based reason and it leaves you wondering whether they'll be back (and if you'll ever get your stuff back >_<)

The underleveling of late joining, frequently leaving, or just plain unliked members of the party isn't really an issue for me. It doesn't take long to get them back up to speed if you need them anyway.

edit: I just voted for static accidentally. =(

VeloZer0
05-27-2010, 04:18 AM
For story considerations I like dynamic parties, however this doesn't always work depending on the character leveling system. I really hate putting a lot into a character only to have them leave and be replaced with someone who I have to train up all over again. In games like FF4 is wasn't a big deal at all as levels are all that matters. In a game that is more involved it doesn't work quite so well.

Vermachtnis
05-27-2010, 04:51 AM
I like static. It gets annoying when they are constantly coming and going. Plus they're a group, comrades, working together for the same goal is pretty cool. I do kind of like in II where you had a core group of three with a rotating last spot.

Clo
05-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Static. I do hate the coming and going. But I can understand the benefits to the plotline -- to mix it up a little I like it when games have one or two characters come in quite far into the game, to add a little new stuff to the party.

Jessweeee♪
05-27-2010, 05:23 AM
They're both pretty nice. It's only an annoyance when it's implemented the way it is in FFIV. "Hmm my party is full. I bet someone's gonna pretend to be dead now."

blackmage_nuke
05-27-2010, 12:31 PM
The only thing I really dont like about unexpected party changes is when they take all the items equiped on you're characters when they leave

Chris
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I almost always choose which charcters I want to use throughout the entire game from the very beginning. :p

Zeromus_X
05-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Dynamic party is fine, as long as it stabilizes somewhere later in the game and I get switch out characters as I like at that point.

Del Murder
05-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Dynamic party is fine, as long as it stabilizes somewhere later in the game and I get switch out characters as I like at that point.
Yeah! I don't like it when it's the same four people for the whole game but I also want some stability late in the game.

Suikojowy
05-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Changing. I actually like characters leaving and joining for storyline purposes through the game as long as I can make choices near the end, which seems to be the pattern for most Final Fantasy games anyway.

Tokimadoushi
06-03-2010, 07:26 AM
I get seriously bored with one party so I guess its changing for me...

Though I hate it when you literally form a party, set them up etc and then someone leaves/dies, taking all your equipment with them (FFIV is a massive culprit).

Also games where there are too many party members (FFVI) can make things difficult, i.e. trying to level everyone up evenly.

I like the 6-8 characters in a cast, you can stick with one good party but can also mix it up a little without other characters getting left behind.

Shiny
06-03-2010, 07:29 AM
I like static parties where members only leave if they get killed in the end. Static parties leave more room for character development.