PDA

View Full Version : FF XII:Revenant Wings

York Azelas
05-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Comments and opinions on Final Fantasy XII:REvenant wings.
Pro's and Con's of the game?
Where it lacked and what you thought about it?
was it worthy of the Final Fantsy Series or was it worthy of never being made?

Wolf Kanno
05-28-2010, 06:33 PM
I can't say I really liked the game but mostly for the story and the fact I felt a lot of the cast felt more like caricatures than there real selves. The story always felt like it was borrowing a bit too much from FFX and X-2 for my taste (not surprising since all three titles had the same director) and I've been struggling to finish the game cause I just don't care anymore what happens to any of the characters. I was a huge fan of XII and I kinda felt like RW was like watching the Saturday morning cartoon adaption of Hamlet except its the made up sequel to it instead of the original... Overall, I really didn't like the story and the new portrayal of the cast members not to mention several characters are introduced simply for fan service as opposed to actually bring anything to the plot. Why is Ashe, Basch, and Larsa here again?

Gameplay, I'm a bit more forgiving. The controls are adequate and the mechanics are sound, I just feel that the RTS battles suffer a bit too much from some of the cheap tactics in RTS specifically stages where enemies can just continually respawn out of nowhere until you meet the mission objective. The Smithing system is pretty fun and unique as well as pimping out the airship interior. Its also a bit comical that RW has a Data Log system when XII needed it far more but that's just an amusing coincidence. My only major beef with the gameplay is that I find the game it too much like an RTS for beginners with training wheels that refuse to come off.

Persephone Stephanie
05-31-2010, 12:49 PM
RW was like watching the Saturday morning cartoon adaption of Hamlet except its the made up sequel to it instead of the original...

I didn't finish it and I probably won't, because of the same reason you've outlined here. After the epic that was FFXII, I couldn't get used to the cartoony caricatures of Vaan & Penelo. Why did they suddenly look 12 years old, despite being two years older? Ah well.

The only thing I got out of it was learning about the secret ending with Vaan and Penelo sneaking out of Rabanastre at night to have their own "adventure". They are sprung by their friends, who insist on tagging along, to which Vaan picks up Penelo in his arms and spirits her away into the night! Ooh la la, what could that mean?! My heart actually burst with joy when I saw it on youtube. I only wish I could see that scene in the graphics of XII!

Crossblades
06-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I personally enjoyed it. I didn't mind the cartoony look at all and I enjoyed the game's story. I also enjoyed the battles considering that I have never played an RTS before RW.

Mogi
06-13-2010, 09:19 PM
My main concern was the fact that it betrayed the characters that we knew and loved from FFXII. They were way out of character, and that really, really bugged me.

Logie
08-16-2010, 02:40 PM
I persevered but it was very 'so what?' for me. If I had been attached to any of the characters from Final Fantasy XII, I may have been bugged by the characterisation liberties they took, but I really didn't care for any of them. (With the exception of Penelo who is beyond cute!)

Bolivar
08-19-2010, 11:24 PM
I loved it, a really fun portable game to keep me occupied for a good chunk of time during college. RPG's and RTS games are my favorite video game genres, and it had just enough elements of both to hook me in.

The nice Tactics Advanced-esque art style, redone music from FFXII, and pick up and play style made it one of my favorite DS games.

Roogle
08-20-2010, 08:24 AM
I never played the game because the production value looked minuscule compared to the massive budget for Final Fantasy XII. If you are going to make a direct sequel to a game, does it really make sense to change directions completely? I would rather have played something on the Playstation 2 that reused all of the graphics that Square Enix had to spend so much time creating.