PDA

View Full Version : 3D Incorporation

Proxy
05-31-2010, 12:36 AM
Hi guys!
I would like the name of a good, but easy to use 3D program, because I'd like to incorporate 3D work into my Photoshop stuff.

Rye
05-31-2010, 11:00 PM
I've moved this to the Help Forum - it would be best addressed there by the techie people. The art forum is for showing off or discussing your own art or your own writing! I hope you don't mind! :)

o_O
06-01-2010, 02:13 AM
You have a few options:
- Google Sketchup is probably the easiest to use, as it was designed with usability in mind, but it's also surprisingly powerful.
- Blender is a very powerful and free 3D modelling tool, however it's not the easiest to use and the interface is substantially different from most other 3D modelling programs so if you decided to move to another one, you'd only be carrying basic skills over.
- Maya is my favourite and most used, and is heavily used in the Pixar studios and was used to Model most of the movie "Monsters, Inc." Depending on how heavily into the 3D stuff you want to get, Maya also features a Python-based scripting language with which you can tweak the user interface and automate certain processes.
- 3DS Max is a professional tool in the same vein as Maya; I haven't used it before but both Maya and 3DS are owned by Autodesk, so the interfaces are quite similar.

Google Sketchup and Blender are both free, while Maya and 3DS Max are very expensive pieces of software so I'll let your moral boundaries decide which software to get. :p

Proxy
06-13-2010, 08:16 PM
You have a few options:
- Google Sketchup is probably the easiest to use, as it was designed with usability in mind, but it's also surprisingly powerful.
- Blender is a very powerful and free 3D modelling tool, however it's not the easiest to use and the interface is substantially different from most other 3D modelling programs so if you decided to move to another one, you'd only be carrying basic skills over.
- Maya is my favourite and most used, and is heavily used in the Pixar studios and was used to Model most of the movie "Monsters, Inc." Depending on how heavily into the 3D stuff you want to get, Maya also features a Python-based scripting language with which you can tweak the user interface and automate certain processes.
- 3DS Max is a professional tool in the same vein as Maya; I haven't used it before but both Maya and 3DS are owned by Autodesk, so the interfaces are quite similar.

Google Sketchup and Blender are both free, while Maya and 3DS Max are very expensive pieces of software so I'll let your moral boundaries decide which software to get. :p

right on. thank you very much. yeah i just wanna maybe use some 3d designs and images, some text, but nothing too heavy so i think the google or blender would work just fine.
thanks very much for the info =)