PDA

View Full Version : I don't do....

Cleyra
05-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Poop or puke.

I'm curious. If there was something that you refused to do on a job, if you could, what would that be? Or to elaborate further, if you had a choice in selecting a job, which would be the ones you would never do?

Before I get strange replies, let me explain the point of this thread.

I'm working, at the moment, in a hotel. I will not state the name of the company just for the sake of doing so and to peak curiosity. I'm currently the second shift guest services representative. Meaning, I check people in, take their money or I cancel their reservations when they don't show. I also give people things such as towels and toilet tissue when they request it. Other than that, I sit at the desk for 8 hours on my laptop and either do homework or browse forums.

However, tonight was different. It was boring as hell, but I didn't mind it since I was in an air conditioned office. But, about an hour ago, I had a cute little Japanese man come down and tell me about an issue. I quote:

"I do not know if someone told you this, but I think there is something on the stair on the second floor. I don't know what it is... but it look like someone... poof.... on the stair.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell "poof" is while trying not to hug this guy because of how cute and was. So, I go and take a look after he leaves only to find a huge pile of really smelly, runny, brown with orange chunks of either poop or puke on the stair case.

The problem with this is not that its poop, mind you, as pets are indeed allow to stay at this hotel. But its that I have NOTHING to clean it up with. I have a mop, but no cleaning supplies to clean floors with. So, what do I grab? I container of bleach and hand soap and I pour that crap on top of the :bou::bou::bou::bou: and I attempt to mop it up while trying not to gag or puke myself. That stuff looked like it had been sitting there for at least a good day and it didn't help that the stairwell was hot as hell.

As I am doing this, thoughts run through my head. I instantly say to myself "I'm supposed to be at the damn desk. I'm not supposed to be cleaning up messes. Not my damn job...." But at the same time, I feel as if I shouldn't complain about it, since there is the issue of me having a job to begin with while others do not in this country. But its not my responsibility to clean the place at all.

I definitely will not be cleaning up someone or a pet's poop ever again, no matter if I stay at this job or get another one. Bodily fluids are not something I can take lightly.

Proxy
05-31-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm probably gonna go with puke.
I change diapers often, and pick up after my dog and have had a new puppy before so cleaning up poop is not a big deal for me.

Rye
05-31-2010, 12:52 AM
Ohhh, that's so gross! I'm sorry, Cleyra! eeek! :(

My job is in customer service at a beverage company, but I don't actually deal with customers, except for occasionally taking phone calls. My stuff is all computer work, or clerical stuff to help out other workers.

What I wouldn't do in my job... well, I almost had to stay a half hour after everyone else to take care of another person's work, because she didn't do it while I was busy doing a big sorting project for the boss, last friday. I don't do that, and thankfully I didn't have to.

Agent Proto
05-31-2010, 01:41 AM
I can handle poop, as long as it's the dry kind. But if its wet and smelly. NO WAY, JOSE!

Puke, I don't even want to go there. Today, my brother threw up and just by hearing him throw up made me gag in my mouth. :(

NorthernChaosGod
05-31-2010, 02:54 AM
I'm a lifeguard so all I'm required to do is watch people and make sure no one drowns. :monster:

That being said, I wouldn't want to do any sort of cleaning other than picking up trash. A number of jobs I've had encouraged you to pick up trash if you see it lying around, I'm fine with that. But fuck cleaning as a specific duty.

Hythloday
05-31-2010, 02:58 AM
I'll do anything but it'll cost you extra.

fire_of_avalon
05-31-2010, 04:56 AM
I would argue that around 50% of the things I do aren't in my job description. I haven't come across the one thing I wouldn't do, yet. Hopefully I never will.

Shlup
05-31-2010, 04:59 AM
I don't mind puke or poop. I've worked with babies/children for too long; someone could puke right on me and it wouldn't bother me much more than, like, a bowl of soup.

As far as jobs, I don't let people treat me like their bitch.

Hambone
05-31-2010, 05:32 AM
I'm in the awkward age range in Texas where I'm encouraged to get a job by society yet no one will hire because I'm only 16. 16 is the legal hiring age for Texas but there's also the issue of experience, of which I have none. Transportation is also an issue there, but anywho...

If I could choose, I would say nay (lol, rhymed) to most fast food jobs. From what I've heard, it's absolutely miserable, and I don't think the constant smell of fast food would be very great either.

Breine
05-31-2010, 06:45 PM
I've cleaned up poop and puke at my former job so many times that I just don't care now *shrug*

I also cleaned at a slaughter house for two years, so I can handle most things.

Shoeberto
05-31-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't do poop or puke, but I guess to some extent I'm desensitized to certain gross things after living in a dorm for so long. People are disgusting in those.

Rodarian
05-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Nasty!

I say poop....as long as its in solid form...its easier to clean up.....

puke would make me hurl and would make the problem worse!!

Iceglow
05-31-2010, 09:26 PM
I've refused to do many things in the past in my jobs. I once refused to go from being exposed to an air temp of 40 celcius to one of -23 celcius because I didn't fancy ending up ill. I've refused customers service for being very rude to me. When I worked in a restaurant I did have to clean up someone's vomit however if they don't provide the proper resources then I'd refuse it no matter what. Faeces however are out of my durestiction.