PDA

View Full Version : Wada: "FFVII remake = 10x the length of FFXIII project."

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
05-31-2010, 02:35 AM
Source: Sankaku Complex (NSFW)

Square Enix’s CEO has claimed that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would be a difficult proposition indeed, which by his estimation could take 10 times the development time Final Fantasy XIII took.

Square Enix CEO Wada tweeted thus:

Regarding an FF7 remake:

We get this question all the time from lots of countries. At this level of quality it took us 3-4 years to finish FF13, but if we were to finish a FF7 remake at the same level of quality it would take 10 times as long, so it’s a difficult issue and not just something we could start at any time.

However, with the request being so frequent it’s something we keep to heart.

Naturally there are those who are quick to begin making disparaging comments about the relationship between Final Fantasy XIII’s notorious linearity and the likely development time (“It’s because there are towns!”), as well as those who are left wondering about Square Enix’s constant vacillations over the feasibility of such a remake in the face of what must already be the most anticipated remake of videogame history.

I take it that since most a gamer nowadays is a graphics whore, they'll spend the most time on graphics, obviously.

I'd like to read your opinion on this.

champagne supernova
05-31-2010, 02:37 AM
Well it'd take them a year to just to figure out what exactly they had done with the storyline after the additions around the game.

ChickenHeart
05-31-2010, 02:39 AM
That's a let down ;( i woulden't mind FF7 with ps2 graphics, however i still don't want a ff7 remake. Give the limelight to IX, VIII or VI, n'awh well.

Levian
05-31-2010, 02:45 AM
30-40 years to finish a FFVII remake? slackers!

Sephiroth
05-31-2010, 02:58 AM
I bet they have already started to remake it but it should be a surprise.

If they would use a greater team than just their Final Fantasy VII team they would be able to remake it way faster.

Mirage
05-31-2010, 03:00 AM
Sounds like bullcrap to me.

VeloZer0
05-31-2010, 03:09 AM
All the plot, game system and balancing are already done. SE has a game engine already to run it all. Essentially all they have to do is slap new textures/models on everything. I don't see how that would take 30-40 years.

Maybe if they insisted in making every single cutscene in the game an FMV like FFXIII. In fact, if they just dialed the graphics down maybe 20% it could be done in the time frame of a normal game. I'm so glad that it never even occurred to them.

SE's attitude on this one is really pissing me off, even though I don't actually want to see a remake.

champagne supernova
05-31-2010, 03:22 AM
All the plot, game system and balancing are already done. SE has a game engine already to run it all. Essentially all they have to do is slap new textures/models on everything. I don't see how that would take 30-40 years.

They'd have to work all the other Compilation stuff into the plot. And redevelop the battle system - way too slow for this day and age (compare XII's to it if you don't believe). And make materia more of a balance to get right.

And then they'd have to do something about the World Map. And fly an airship. That is where the problems lie. I don't know how many field screens there are in VII, but they tend to be quite small, so I reckon that XIII is actually bigger in that department than VII. If not, it is a tight run thing. So I think the World Map is their biggest issue.

Mirage
05-31-2010, 03:33 AM

They'd have to work all the other Compilation stuff into the plot. And redevelop the battle system - way too slow for this day and age (compare XII's to it if you don't believe). And make materia more of a balance to get right.

Not really. There is little change to be found in the battle systems of all the other remakes they have been printing money with. The biggest change is perhaps in FF1, where they went from a "x uses of spell level y per day" system to a straight MP system.

Well, most of the older games weren't remade, though, just ported to a newer console.

silentenigma
05-31-2010, 03:50 AM
Wada: "We're too cheap and lazy to hire quality programmers for a project the scale of FFVII."

Wolf Kanno
05-31-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm calling shenanigans and like Sephiroth, I feel this game is probably already being worked on and has been since the Compilation was announced. :roll2

Personally, I still feel it would be better if SE made the main game use the KH/Crisis Core engine and then used the Advent Children stuff for the cutscenes with maybe a few more scenes given the full CGI treatment. At least this way we don't have to suffer through the god awful AC desings of the characters and stick to the game's anime roots in terms of design.

I also don't see why they really need to add the Compilation info to the main game. I know too many VII fans who said they would probably not like the game as much if they tried to pack all that BS into the game. My feeling is why bother? It would be better to make the game you know that sells than try to tamper with it and get the ire of the fans.

VeloZer0
05-31-2010, 03:58 AM

And then they'd have to do something about the World Map. And fly an airship. That is where the problems lie. I don't know how many field screens there are in VII, but they tend to be quite small, so I reckon that XIII is actually bigger in that department than VII. If not, it is a tight run thing. So I think the World Map is their biggest issue.
They don't HAVE to do any of that stuff. World Map and airship aren't a problem at all, it is just SE is now overly pretentious with creating such visually consistent games they are letting it put a damper on game design. Do it the same way, with different thing to different scale on the world map.

Sephiroth
05-31-2010, 05:16 AM
I'm calling shenanigans and like Sephiroth, I feel this game is probably already being worked on and has been since the Compilation was announced. :roll2

Personally, I still feel it would be better if SE made the main game use the KH/Crisis Core engine and then used the Advent Children stuff for the cutscenes with maybe a few more scenes given the full CGI treatment. At least this way we don't have to suffer through the god awful AC desings of the characters and stick to the game's anime roots in terms of design.

I also don't see why they really need to add the Compilation info to the main game. I know too many VII fans who said they would probably not like the game as much if they tried to pack all that BS into the game. My feeling is why bother? It would be better to make the game you know that sells than try to tamper with it and get the ire of the fans.

I hope they use Cloud like they did in Dissidia. Obviously his original hair cut is okay during FMW scenes. But for Sephiroth I hope they use his Advent Children face and not his Crisis Core face. In case they remake it.

And the world map cannot be that big deal. The old school Final Fantasy world map is made for Final Fantasy XIII Versus as well - so for Final Fantasy VII it cannot be that complicated. More the discussion about how they censor the Honey Bee Manor or scenes like Aerith's death because with new graphics it is something different.

But it won't take 10 years. 5 years maximum I say as soon as they really start with all of it.

At the end of the last year Square told us they would announce a great game. And I bet it was not the same announcement they did one week ago for this card game. So perhaps they will give us some news this year about Final Fantasy VII.

Jessweeee♪
05-31-2010, 07:40 AM
From the sound of it, it'd become another Duke Nukem Forever if the went on with it :|

seiferalmasy2
05-31-2010, 08:06 AM

Square Enix’s CEO has claimed that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would be a difficult proposition indeed, which by his estimation could take 10 times the development time Final Fantasy XIII took.

Regarding an FF7 remake:

We get this question all the time from lots of countries. At this level of quality it took us 3-4 years to finish FF13, but if we were to finish a FF7 remake at the same level of quality it would take 10 times as long, so it’s a difficult issue and not just something we could start at any time.

However, with the request being so frequent it’s something we keep to heart.Naturally there are those who are quick to begin making disparaging comments about the relationship between Final Fantasy XIII’s notorious linearity and the likely development time (“It’s because there are towns!”), as well as those who are left wondering about Square Enix’s constant vacillations over the feasibility of such a remake in the face of what must already be the most anticipated remake of videogame history.I take it that since most a gamer nowadays is a graphics whore, they'll spend the most time on graphics, obviously.

The gamer today seems to see no issue with the fact that what they are saying here is:

"We prefer graphics to a great game like VII"

Maybe if they weren't making ridiculous cutscenes and polishing single rocks for 3 days? hmmm....

Rostum
05-31-2010, 08:43 AM

Proof you know nothing of which you speak in terms of what's involved during development.

I'm not saying it'd actually take them 40 years (my guess is he was exagerating), but to say that's all that's involved is utter hogwash. To model, texture, light and animate an environment (especially at the ridiculous expectation of detail that people have these days) requires an immense amount of time, skill and talent on behalf of not only the artists and programmers but also the directors and managers.

And it certainly doesn't just involve texturing and modelling (which takes a very long time as it is), but you're also looking at character rigging (a very technical and creative process which is time consuming), character animation (this is probably the most time consuming thing from an art perspective; an animation studio that did Saturday morning cartoons that I knew a lot about did about 20 seconds of animation per week) and post-processing things like particles and lighting which are a whole other beast in themselves. I won't even get into the technical/coding side of things, where optimisation is such a huge aspect.

Basically, to get a high production project done you're looking at spending about 50,000,000USD and about 3-5 years of your time. These figures are nothing to be scoffed at, and you're in a huge amount of risk if things go wrong. These huge companies do know what they're doing; they do know what talent and skills to hire for their company. They aren't slack, they aren't stupid, etc. etc. They are just weighing up the risks involved and the extremely high expectations the industry and fanbase expect from such a project.

I am honestly not surprised it'd take longer than any project they've done thus far, but I am really guessing that the 30-40 years statement is completely exagerated.

Edit: Btw, that's just talking about the production phase. Pre-production and post-production stuff adds on probably double or tripple the time.

Mirage
05-31-2010, 11:01 AM

I don't see why the choice of graphics engine would affect the visual style of the characters. If they used the crystal tools, they could probably get away with not having prerendered videos at all.

I am honestly not surprised it'd take longer than any project they've done thus far, but I am really guessing that the 30-40 years statement is completely exagerated.

Edit: Btw, that's just talking about the production phase. Pre-production and post-production stuff adds on probably double or tripple the time.

I don't quite understand why the development of this remake would take more time than any other game of similar technical quality. I mean even if it takes a really long time to make models, textures, animations and such, you still have to do that for other games too.

Jiro
05-31-2010, 01:25 PM
They keep the fire well stoked. It sells games.

PeneloRatsbane
05-31-2010, 01:42 PM
They should do it in the style of 7,8 and 9. Set backgrounds, obviously amped up, paths to walk on to get in shops and stuff. free range outside, Don't make everything to big and 3d (which is how i felt in DOC and CC) because it becomes generic. just keep it the way it is will all absurd lil scenes and details, but just make it more asthetic and maybe chuck in a few extra bits for funnsies

VeloZer0
05-31-2010, 02:02 PM
When I play FFVII nowadays the pre-rendered backgrounds still look great. I am always amazed by how well they have stood up to modern fully rendered environments. Sprites not so much :D

The game would probably be completely stunning if they stuck with some remade super high res pre-rendered backgrounds.

Basically, to get a high production project done you're looking at spending about 50,000,000USD and about 3-5 years of your time. These figures are nothing to be scoffed at, and you're in a huge amount of risk if things go wrong. These huge companies do know what they're doing; they do know what talent and skills to hire for their company. They aren't slack, they aren't stupid, etc. etc. They are just weighing up the risks involved and the extremely high expectations the industry and fanbase expect from such a project.
The point of the quote was it would take ridiculously longer than production of a normal game. I'm not saying that the activities I described would be fast, but there is still a ton of crap already done for them. Chopping of all the writing, design and game engine is a significant savings for any project.

PeneloRatsbane
05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
When I play FFVII nowadays the pre-rendered backgrounds still look great. I am always amazed by how well they have stood up to modern fully rendered environments. Sprites not so much :D

The game would probably be completely stunning if they stuck with some remade super high res pre-rendered backgrounds.

Yeah thats what I was thinking whilst i was playing it the other day. The enviroment of the vii world contributes so much to the overall feel and atmosphere of the game that any significant alteration may actually damage it. Thats why they should focus on the sprites.
The thing is, that done right and with an original approach that combines the classic RPG style with modern graphical advances they could make something great, That fans of the original game, and those who have been put off by the graphics could both love

champagne supernova
05-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Actually, I've just had a little bit of a think through of this. Now I'm sure someone (at least one) will disagree with me, but the world of XIII is probably the same size, if not bigger, than the world of VII (excluding the World Map). The areas that you can explore in Palumpolum are bigger than the areas one can explore in Midgar (even including the Shin-Ra building) and then there are still places such as Nautilus and Eden, which would more than cover the other towns. Then there is the whole of Gran Pulse, plus all the wild areas in Cocoon, which are definitely bigger than all of VII's dungeons.

My point here is that, if XIII is roughly the same size of VII, then it shouldn't take longer to make. What will kill it, graphics side at least, would be a fully rendered World Map. It will be very interesting to see how they have achieved this in Versus.

But it's not just the graphics. In XIII, every line of dialogue was voiced - there was no text for unimportant characters. I think Square will need to continue this trend for VII, which will require a lot of voice talent (although, to be honest, Elder Scrolls probably has more dialogue than VII).

There is also no need to wait for a new graphics engine to be created. Crystal Tools will probably be able to render all of VII's pre-rendered backgrounds on the fly. Which could mean less loading times (like in XIII). Obviously, characters would also be now look a lot more realistic.

But I really don't think it is the graphics side of things that would hold up development. There are just so many hard decisions to be made and so much expectations around the game, that the developers would take forever polishing. Someone said Duke Nukem: Forever. Well, that's what would end up happening here.

VeloZer0
05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't see why the world map would take so long. It isn't really THAT big. It is probably the Same size as the Calm Lands in FF13. (you know what I mean).

I think one of the reasons FF13 took so much modeling is that you can move the camera and look WAY off in the distance in every direction. If they kept a fixed camera the amount of environment modeling that would need to be done is probably less than a third of that for a free camera.

Mo-Nercy
06-01-2010, 12:51 AM
FFVII Remake = The new Duke Nukem Forever?

Aerith's Knight
06-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Why the hell would we want it like FFXIII? We're not that spoiled.

seiferalmasy2
06-01-2010, 07:32 AM
I think the very fact they are telling you it would take 10x longer to make VII than XIII should tell you the gulf in quality between the 2 games.

blackmage_nuke
06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I think the thing development time will most likely depend on is whether they want to let us be able to rotate/control the off battle camera

Mirage
06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I think the very fact they are telling you it would take 10x longer to make VII than XIII should tell you the gulf in quality between the 2 games.

I don't.
The "quality" aspects of the game are already done (story, characters, setting, battle system, etc). The things that would be changed are graphics, sound effects, music quality (i hope!) and perhaps the addition of voice acting. Why would any of these things, that are already done in other new games, suddenly take 10 times longer to do?

Furthermore, I don't know if it's possible, but all the textures and models they used when they made the pre-rendered backgrounds, would they be possible to reuse in a new realtime graphics engine? This question is probably mostly aimed at Omecle, no guesswork from others if you don't know for sure, please :p.

I mean those things are pretty detailed and stuff, they might hold up to realtime PS3 standards.

VeloZer0
06-01-2010, 03:54 PM
This question is probably mostly aimed at Omecle, no guesswork from others if you don't know for sure, please
:p

champagne supernova
06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Furthermore, I don't know if it's possible, but all the textures and models they used when they made the pre-rendered backgrounds, would they be possible to reuse in a new realtime graphics engine? This question is probably mostly aimed at Omecle, no guesswork from others if you don't know for sure, please :p.

I mean those things are pretty detailed and stuff, they might hold up to realtime PS3 standards.

I'm not a genius about graphics, but those pre-rendered backgrounds are basically pictures which the characters are then placed on. Although I suppose they must have some sort of texture or model when they were initially rendered. But I doubt that they can just be picked up & re-used.

But I think what Squenix is trying to say is that they don't want to find short-cuts to make VII. Yes, there are a whole lot of things they could just pick up from VII. And they could have a World Map lacking detail. But they want VII to have the production values that they achieved with XIII.

However, to say it's going to take 10 times as long because of graphics is a load of rubbish. Elder Scrolls IV took 4 years to make and it makes VII's entire world look tiny. It has much more dialogue (all fully voiced).

I have a strange feeling that a VII remake might not be that far away actually. Why else would Square-Enix be making statements like this that make no sense?

Clo
06-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Obviously, shenanigans called on Square Enix.

Also, if this supposed remake has inclusion of Compilation material, I will refuse to play it like the poop that I am. :colbert: Even if it doesn't, I still might not play it, depending on how far in the future this is and how it looks as news leaks.

champagne supernova
06-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Obviously, shenanigans called on Square Enix.

Also, if this supposed remake has inclusion of Compilation material, I will refuse to play it like the poop that I am. :colbert: Even if it doesn't, I still might not play it, depending on how far in the future this is and how it looks as news leaks.

The Compilation did not happen. It's a figment of other people's imagination.

Slothy
06-01-2010, 10:03 PM
However, to say it's going to take 10 times as long because of graphics is a load of rubbish. Elder Scrolls IV took 4 years to make and it makes VII's entire world look tiny. It has much more dialogue (all fully voiced).

True that it's got more voice acting, but they did do it with what seems like a half dozen voice actors and it really wasn't the highest quality. I could honestly have seen them banging out most of the voice work for that game in a short amount of time. Obviously writing and editing would make it take longer. And graphically, Oblivion reused a lot of content like textures, character models, and other 3D art assets. Mind you, that doesn't lend any credence to what Wada is claiming here. It actually makes it more obvious that he was greatly exaggerating.

I have a strange feeling that a VII remake might not be that far away actually. Why else would Square-Enix be making statements like this that make no sense?

It's possible that they just keep getting the question and are getting tired of answering it; hence the exaggerated answer he gave.

silentenigma
06-02-2010, 12:49 AM

First-party fan fiction

Sephiroth
06-02-2010, 04:01 AM

Then stop playing Final Fantasy. The whole Compilation is part of Square like the rest of Final Fantasy. And it is not like "Oh my god, Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu are gone - not to mention Uematsu has worked on the Advent Children soundtrack - now everything new will be crap!".

Just because you think it is, it is not.

EDIT: "Oh...Lordy." The only thing I can see here are some bad excuses because no one can do anything to proove Square's facts wrong. The Compilation does exist and that's how it is.

Clo
06-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Technically the Compilation is not a continuation of the series, but constant throwbacks to a specific game.

In fact, the entire series seems to be inflating like a balloon with all these remakes. Every game is so multi-faceted now because there are so many versions and consoles you could have played it on, all slightly different.

Oh.... Lordy.

silentenigma
06-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I sure hope the Compilation doesn't exist like Sephiroth is suggesting... But I'm pretty sure it doesn't so there's not that much to worry about. Wouldn't that be awful though!

Sephiroth
06-02-2010, 06:30 PM
I sure hope the Compilation doesn't exist like Sephiroth is suggesting... But I'm pretty sure it doesn't so there's not that much to worry about. Wouldn't that be awful though!

Tell me why you are pretty sure. Everyone who wants to accept the truth just needs to play the Compilation and read facts written by Square. It does exist.

Hot Shot
06-02-2010, 06:35 PM
No way it will take that long to make! I wouldn't care either way if it's made because I am content with the original. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat interested.

Clo
06-02-2010, 06:38 PM
They're joking, Sephy. Yeesh.

Some people think the Compilation ruined the game's story. So they're jokingly pretending it doesn't exist. People are allowed to do this. If a sequel to a movie comes out, moviegoers are allowed to go "Yikes, that was bad. I'll just ignore it and enjoy the first one!" It's allowed.

Speaking of all this, it would be smart (obviously in my opinion) if Square kept the Compilation stuff out of the remake (if it ever does come out) and make it an amplified true-blue re-experience of the original. Altering the story and characters to large degrees would be silly.

Sephiroth
06-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Of course I know how it is meant. But I don't understand how much sense it makes to pretend something doesn't exist if it does exist.

The whole Compilation content which could be added in a remake would not be that much because they would not mention characters like Genesis or the Tsviets and it is explained why in the Prequels and Sequels itself - because of ShinRa and their lies. The rest which would be added is information to make it more clear like "How did Sephiroth do this?" or something like that. What's possible is that they add locations like Modeoheim or the destroyed Banora. But I really doubt it. You simply don't have the option to find them and that's it - at least that is what think about how the remake would look like.

VeloZer0
06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Of course I know how it is meant. But I don't understand how much sense it makes to pretend something doesn't exist if it does exist.
Games are for entertainment, and if pretending parts of them don't exist makes them more enjoyable then it is perfectly logical. The primary goal of entertainment is to entertainment, therefore you should take whatever out of it that furthers those goals.

champagne supernova
06-02-2010, 08:21 PM
I pretend anything I don't like doesn't exist. In real-life too. Works wonders :p

VeloZer0
06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
In real-life too. Works wonders
Good luck with that :lol:

Mirage
06-02-2010, 10:42 PM

Regarding an FF7 remake:

Naturally there are those who are quick to begin making disparaging comments about the relationship between Final Fantasy XIII’s notorious linearity and the likely development time (“It’s because there are towns!”), as well as those who are left wondering about Square Enix’s constant vacillations over the feasibility of such a remake in the face of what must already be the most anticipated remake of videogame history.

I take it that since most a gamer nowadays is a graphics whore, they'll spend the most time on graphics, obviously.

I can't believe i missed this

Newsflash: People were graphics whores in the 90s too.

seiferalmasy2
06-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Graphics have never been able to sell a game to the masses though and sadly, at the moment, they can.

Mirage
06-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Graphics have never been able to sell a game to the masses though and sadly, at the moment, they can.

I'm actually not so sure that graphics push games that have no other redeeming qualities much more than they did in the 90s. I also doubt you actually know that, and actually just "assume" it to be true because it fits with your romantic, nostalgic impression of the 90s (which many of us have, I just try to look past it).

Not to mention, "the masses" didn't exist back then nearly as much as they do now. Video games were for nerds only back then, and very few had game consoles compared to now. Now everyone and their mother have a console of some kind.

Our brains use an enormous amount of resources on visual sensory input, far more than it uses on any other sense we've got, likewise, almost every console to date also use the majority of the processing power on producing graphics. How much processing power do you think the SNES used on audio versus video? Smart AI was almost nonexistent on the SNES as well, and core gameplay mechanics in most games were so simple that I could nearly have done them with a pen and paper in realtime, so that's not where most of the processing power was used either.

Actually, a fun fact is that in many games nowadays (and perhaps the last decade), AI routines/algorithms have seen a very big increase in complexity, and it's perhaps the second most CPU intensive task for consoles these days (in games that actually require good AI, I guess final fantasy in general is excluded from this). MGS2 had something like 30% of the PS2's CPU reserved for AI calculations.

Jessweeee♪
06-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Honestly in a FFVII remake, super spiffy graphics are just what I'd want. I mean, I don't want them changing up the game too much, so if that wish is granted but the graphics aren't enhanced, isn't it just the exact same game on a different system? I'll take my $10 PSN version in that case. It would be nice to see FFVII's world in such nice detail. Of course I wouldn't rush out to buy a giant HDTV and a PS3 just to optimize all of that; even Crisis Core levels would be nice.

Carl the Llama
06-05-2010, 02:27 PM
That's a let down ;( i woulden't mind FF7 with ps2 graphics, however i still don't want a ff7 remake. Give the limelight to IX, VIII or VI, n'awh well.

FFI, FFII, FFIII and FFIV are seeing this treatment, FFV and FFVI was remade on the PS1/GBA, it's very likely that they will do the same for FFV and FFVI on the 3DS or PSP.

What I don't understand is that why would it take so long? what is their reasoning? I may be missing why it would take 40 years to remake a game, did I miss something?

IMO though if they did remake the game I would want them to make it the very best they can make it, like for instance if they want to "polish every stone 3-4 times" I say let them, its been so long after all I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm happy to continue playing my original version untill they get every last detail perfect.

Bolivar
06-06-2010, 06:03 AM

Regarding an FF7 remake:

I can't believe i missed this

Newsflash: People were graphics whores in the 90s too.

Newsflash: People were graphics whores in the 80s too. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtuK4CU3ko)

VeloZer0 is making good sense on the pre-rendered backgrounds-tip; especially considering downloadable games like that rendered in 1080p, I think there would be a really interesting way to remake this game that most people aren't seeing. It would also answer the problem of how do you get the same sense from the Honey Bee Inn in HD. It simply wouldn't work in hyper-realistic graphics without coming off as a freaky-deaky German hardcore film.

Which is why I'm feeling Wolf Kanno's idea as well. They might as well just remake this game for the PSP, or as one of those Playstation Store jawns that you can download and play on PS3 and PSP. Good framerate, stay true to the anime-feel, it wouldn't really get much better than that.

But at this point I really don't care about a remake anymore. After playing through the game again a few months back - I still love the visuals, the music is still slamming, the combat is still fun, and the story is still good. What do I need a remake for now that I can play it at home and on the go? (legally)

Really, the only thing that needs addressing are smoothing out the polygons (jagged as hell on my Bravia TV!!!), update the resolution, fixing the battles' framerate, and possibly remastering the soundtrack. Which, again, probably reinforces a remake somewhere in between what VeloZer0 and Kanno are talking about (or maybe it's just something that I'm talking about!)

Christmas
06-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I should now pray to the gods that I can live long enough to see this happen! :bigsmile:

Skyblade
06-06-2010, 04:42 PM

We pretend it doesn't exist because it is preferable than having to acknowledge it any further. Any time you get a retcon that ruins the original material so badly (the Compendium, or the New Star Wars movies), fans prefer to ignore it than have to constantly reference the "original" or "real" versions.

We stick with the canon that is worth keeping, and that's the original. It's easier to pretend the Compendium doesn't exist than it is to fill the forum with complaints about it.