PDA

View Full Version : Portable rpg's

materia_master
06-02-2010, 02:46 AM
I'm looking for some suggestions on some good rpg that are not FF related. I want them for psp, ds or gba. I thought about some of the Dragonquest/warrior games but would like some suggestions.

VeloZer0
06-02-2010, 04:06 AM
The Disgaea 1 & 2 ports for PSP are awesome if you are into SRPGs. Jean D'Arc is also a great SRPG for the PSP. I highly recommend both.

Other than that my portable RPG collection is all FF related. (You could go for Chrono Trigger DS, but you probably already knew about that)

Yar
06-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Golden Sun!

Momiji
06-02-2010, 04:20 AM
The Disgaea 1 & 2 ports for PSP are awesome if you are into SRPGs.

The DS has a port of the first Disgaea as well, if it means anything.

Anyway, you have lots and lots of options, especially with the DS. My personal suggestion would be for Etrian Odyssey, but there's also a few Dragon Quest games and The World Ends With You and so on as well. :D

Rase
06-02-2010, 04:52 AM
My personal suggestion would be for Etrian Odyssey
This. So much.

Also, Shiren the Wanderer is worth looking into if you want something likely different than anything you've played.

Clo
06-02-2010, 05:23 AM
GO PLAY PHOENIX WRIGHT: ACE ATTORNEY FOR DS.

:|

Mo-Nercy
06-02-2010, 05:29 AM
GO PLAY PHOENIX WRIGHT: ACE ATTORNEY FOR DS.

:|
This is an RPG?

ACTUALLY, IT DOESN'T MATTER. GO PLAY PHOENIX WRIGHT: ACE ATTORNEY FOR DS!

Clo
06-02-2010, 05:36 AM
I don't actually know. It has a story, you're playing a role, it's a game... It doesn't REALLY matter. It just needs to be played.

Vermachtnis
06-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Devil Survivor and Strange Journey.

Crossblades
06-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Chrono Trigger for the DS

Breath of Fire I, II, Tales of Phantasia and Fire Emblem for the GBA

vinnie's mini's
06-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Golden Sun!
I second this! :omghey:

*Devore*
06-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Metal Gear Solid are always fun, although I'm not sure if they are RPG's.
But I would definitely suggest Phantasy Star Portable, brilliant game and you can play every and any mission with mates that also have the game. And in late September, PS Portable 2 comes out and you can transfer your character to get bonus items.

Bolivar
06-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Dragon Quest IV is great... like really great. But DQ isn't everyone's cup of tea so I wouldn't blame you if it doesn't do it for you.

The Mario & Luigi games are very good, too, you should absolutely check them out if you haven't already.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 should be coming out in US on PSP sometime this summer, that's one to watch for!!!

Iceglow
06-03-2010, 12:43 AM
If you don't mind a blatant rip off of FFTA then go for Onimusha Tactics for GBA games, it's actually quite fun. Also Front Mission is available for the DS, Pokemon heart gold/soul silver = generic DS rpg. Breath of Fire is also on the GBA.

Mo-Nercy
06-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Tales of Phantasia
Oh yeah. For some reason I forgot that this game wasn't just on SNES.

Highly recommended. Good story, great battle system, quirky, funny and cute.

Wolf Kanno
06-03-2010, 04:54 AM
The World Ends With You - Not a typical RPG that has a system that uses the DS controls, quirky storyline, and one of the best soundtracks from an RPG I've heard in years (presupposing you like J-Pop/Hip-Hop stuff). Probably one of the best DS games I've ever played.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - It's MegaTen! As an SRPG!

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona - If you are looking for something a little old school, this game is a remake of a PS1 game from the mid-90's. A quirky plot, some laughable dialogue (though infinitely better than the original), multiple endings and even an alternate storyline to play through with its own ending.

Digimon World Dusk/Dawn - Pretty solid RPG with a deep customization growth system that is very similar to the Disgaea games. The stories not half bad but the real joy is just raising your army of Digimon.

Sword of Mana - Remake of FF Adventures, good music, great action-RPG combat and a good story. Two different heroes to play through (Play the girl first) and its smurfing Seiken Denetsu.

Half Minute Hero - Not a typical RPG... but its still fun (and funny) as hell. Of anything, download the demo off PSN.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 - Combat takes awhile to adjust to but overall, I really enjoyed the game and I liked the story (though to warn you, I'm a whore for Roxas and Org. XIII). Lots of extra challenges make redoing missions pretty fun and there is s bit of variety as well so its not just combat.

Valkyrie Chronicles - Though I personally have some issues with the game, the combat and puzzles are fun as hell and the game has a large cast to play as. Not to mention Multiple endings.

Star Ocean 1 + 2 - Great combat and characters, stories are bit... odd but fun none the less. Star Ocean 2 is pretty damn awesome has a great crafting system and fun mini-games.

Rhapsody: A Musical RPG - Its by the same people who do the Disgaea games. The music is either laughable, cute or downright catchy. Story is hilarious.

I will think of a few more later. :D

Clo
06-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Star Ocean 1 + 2 - Great combat and characters, stories are bit... odd but fun none the less. Star Ocean 2 is pretty damn awesome has a great crafting system and fun mini-games.

I second this. I'm replaying Star Ocean 2 now and it's good fun. The storyline is bonkers, and the character outfits are that too, but the MINI-GAMES, GOOD LORD THE MINI-GAMES! There's so many of them, and they're so fun! I spent a half hour just pickpocketing rustic aliens. Awesome.

Skyblade
06-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Golden Sun!

Most definitely. And the sequel (or rather, continuation), Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

Can't wait for Golden Sun DS.

Jessweeee♪
06-04-2010, 06:39 AM
I second Persona. If by FF-related you mean anything Square Enix, then ignore my suggestion of TWEWY. Or not, because it's pretty awesome!

Rostum
06-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Golden Sun!

Most definitely. And the sequel (or rather, continuation), Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

I honestly can't find these games without spending $100+ AUD...

Skyblade
06-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Golden Sun!

Looking online, yeah, I'm noticing that. The prices for new copies are insane. Might want to try a used one, they're running only about 15 dollars on ebay.

If not, perhaps you can get a GBA emulator on a PSP? Not sure. But the games are definitely worthwhile.

Rostum
06-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Golden Sun!

Looking online, yeah, I'm noticing that. The prices for new copies are insane. Might want to try a used one, they're running only about 15 dollars on ebay.

If not, perhaps you can get a GBA emulator on a PSP? Not sure. But the games are definitely worthwhile.

Yeah, I'll probably load it on to my DS. But it'd be really nice to have the box/manual too. :)

Vyk
06-05-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm currently running a (NES, SNES, GameboyColor, Gameboy Advance, Master System/GameGear, Genesis/SegaCD, TurboGraphx16) and converted PSOne games on my PSP. So I've got dozens of quality RPGs on the go :] Quality old-school gaming for free on the go. Right now I've hopped on another thread's bandwagon and am trying out Legend of Dragoon for the first time on it and am quite content

Realm25
06-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Golden Sun was a GBA classic, so grab that. The DQ games on DS are amazing remakes so definitely look into them. We cant forget the Pokemon games either.

Zeromus_X
06-10-2010, 01:18 AM
-Golden Sun series
-Star Ocean 1 + 2
-The World Ends with You
-Persona and Persona 3 Portable coming soon

I don't really recommend the GBA version of Phantasia. Though with...certain means you can play the PS1 version of ToP on a PSP with Absolute Zero's translation patch.