PDA

View Full Version : Crane style kung fu

Inferno
06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
I was watching this show called "Fight science" last weekend, and there was this guy (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/fight-science#tab-Videos/07717_00), who was a Crane style kung fu expert. So he's standing on tiny platforms on 2-4-6 and 8 feet high poles (!), and he had to dodge the ninja stars that another dude was throwing at him ! You have to watch the video to see how amazing he was ! I thought it was pretty cool ! I'd love to learn that fighting style, if I had the time to.

So... any martial arts experts here !?

Hot Shot
06-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I love Fight Science, it's an amazing show, and this guy is something else! I'm not an expert martial artist but I study, or rather studied, Tae Kwon Do. MY eldest brother studied Shotokan Karate and my other brother studied Tai Chi and Wing Chun.

Peegee
06-02-2010, 06:55 PM
The only thing I will say about Martial arts is that I have studied karate for years. I can do karate but at the time I didn't know how to fight.

Food for thought.

Christmas
06-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I learnt a bit of martial arts before, and I was dissappoint when they tell me I won't be able to shoot a blue fireball from my hand like what Ryu did. :(

The stuff that I practice are mainly Taichi and Changquan / Long Fist if I remember. :bigsmile:

Mirage
06-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Not an expert, but I got 10th kyu in kyokushinkai karate today, which is the lowest, except white belt (which is mukyu, and means "no grade").

Hambone
06-03-2010, 01:03 AM
I used to be in gymnastics...it should count. :|

Mo-Nercy
06-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Back in my rugby playing days, I used to elbow and knee the opposition when I was at the bottom of the ruck. This was high school, so the referees were quite inept.

Does that count?

qwertysaur
06-03-2010, 04:33 AM
Second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. :p
I want to take up another style though to mix it up. Juijutsu looks to be a lot of fun :bigsmile:

Tavrobel
06-03-2010, 04:38 AM
Juijutsu looks to be a lot of fun :bigsmile:

Jujitsu is a lot of fun. I'm a mixed martial artist, myself, but it just seems like everyone knows TKD.

Mirage
06-03-2010, 02:00 PM
I did a tiny bit of ju jitsu but not long enough to get a grade in it. It was fun, but I'm the most fond of throws, not ground control. In most self defence scenarios, the fight is over if you're standing and your opponent just smashed his back into the pavement.

When I get into a bit better shape (and get a bit better at kyokushinkai) i want to take up ju jitsu again. Learning two styles at the same time is gonna be tough though :p

Alternatively, maybe I could go to an MMA gym and say that i want to focus on throws from standing positions. Idk how you do it in MMA gyms.

missaira
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Back in my rugby playing days, I used to elbow and knee the opposition when I was at the bottom of the ruck. This was high school, so the referees were quite inept.

Does that count?

yes. yes it does.
:p

Freya
06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I love that show! The Tai Chi one was crazy o.o RE is super good at martial arts. I dunno if she's an expert though :O

Badge
06-03-2010, 08:11 PM
2nd Degree Black Belt in KMA, which is a freestyle art originating from CKD (Choi Kwang Do) and Kickboxing. Half way to 3rd dan :D

Tavrobel
06-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Alternatively, maybe I could go to an MMA gym and say that i want to focus on throws from standing positions. Idk how you do it in MMA gyms.

A lot of MMA gyms are considerably more lax than traditional dojos. I practice with aspiring professionals, and they don't really train anything in particular (when I'm there). The instructor just gives them drills, and then lets them spar. If you want to practice something specific, you'd have to find someone who is actually good at what they are doing, and then practice with them.

I know a lot of throws from a standing position, but to say most fights are over when one person is standing and the other isn't is a dangerous statement, indeed. Most street fights wind up on the ground, and it only gets worse from there and if you get in a real fight with someone who can manage to get themselves standing again, chances are, he knows more than just "a little bit." I prefer sweeps, as they're easier to pull off, and require less investment. I never want to give my back to my opponent, even if it's to set up a throw.

Depression Moon
06-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I have a cousin that's master of Capoeria.

Mirage
06-04-2010, 12:38 AM

A lot of MMA gyms are considerably more lax than traditional dojos. I practice with aspiring professionals, and they don't really train anything in particular (when I'm there). The instructor just gives them drills, and then lets them spar. If you want to practice something specific, you'd have to find someone who is actually good at what they are doing, and then practice with them.

I know a lot of throws from a standing position, but to say most fights are over when one person is standing and the other isn't is a dangerous statement, indeed. Most street fights wind up on the ground, and it only gets worse from there and if you get in a real fight with someone who can manage to get themselves standing again, chances are, he knows more than just "a little bit." I prefer sweeps, as they're easier to pull off, and require less investment. I never want to give my back to my opponent, even if it's to set up a throw.

What I meant is that in a self defence scenario, if you get your opponent to the ground, and then go after him while he's on the ground, it could very easily cease to be "self defence" and you could get charged with assault.

Also, if you're on the ground yourself, it's easier for a bystander who might be leaning to your opponents side to kick you in the head, or something like that. Being on the ground in a real fight is something I'd really want to avoid, but I also don't know a lot about takedown defence either so eh, <,<.

Tavrobel
06-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Well, if you're focusing on the self-defense part, yeah, you probably don't want to invest a whole lot in reversals and the like.

Ground fighting is not for multiple opponents.

Mirage
06-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I guess I was being a bit ambiguous about what I meant. I don't doubt the importance of groundwork in MMA fights at all.

Fujiko
06-04-2010, 03:57 AM
That show is awesome! Thanks for sharing the clip. My dad used to teach me Goju ryu karate when I was a little girl, up until a few years ago, when I started getting into volleyball and tennis instead. Then I went to uni and dropped everything to concentrate on my studies. So no expert here!

Mirage
06-04-2010, 04:11 AM
You should have him teach you some more, then send you off to some actual grading so you could see where you were!

Meat Puppet
06-04-2010, 05:35 AM
i'm a street fighter
yes I do drink a lot of whiskey why do you ask