PDA

View Full Version : More FF9 Riddles

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Shinwa Tsuki
06-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Am I allowed to create this? If there is already one up. Please tell me. Anyway....

This thread is for riddles and maybe cryptic statements. The following rules for this thread are:

1. No disrespect please, if you wish to be rude or to have an argument please do so by the forum's Mognet system.
2. All riddlers may incorporate hints into their riddles.
3. All forum members who guess at the current riddle's answer may only guess one answer at a time. The riddler in question has a 7 day period after their riddle has been solved to give their reasoning.
4. All riddlers must state what kind of answer they are looking for.
5. All riddlers must state which universe their answer lies.
6. There is only one riddle at at time. This will avoid confusion in the long run.
7. Reposting the riddle in it's original form will help everyone. Not just the one who reposts the riddle.
8. Every verse or stanza must have 2 lines at the least, no less. Especially if you wish to give a cryptic statement.
9. All riddles must be separated from the rest of the text by a ruler or a bar or some sort. And for everyone, please edit your post if you wish to say more, as double posting may not be allowed at all and in the long run will prevent confusion as to what is being said.
10. If the solver of a riddle does not post a new riddle in approximately 7 days since solving the riddle, that solver give up the chance to post the new riddle. The 7 day wait allows for the last riddler to give their own reasons for the riddle and will allow for everyone to be happier in the long run. The riddle solver may also pass it on to someone - either with a statement along the lines I give the floor to {member name}. or by stating that they do not wish to give a riddle.

All of the Administrators viewing this, please wait and talk amongst yourselves - you may however move this to a more appropriate location.

Edit: Took deleted two sentences from the listed number 3. Here are the two sentences I took out: Also everyone must give their reasons for that particular guess or else it will be ignored. Giving the reasons for the answer will allow for the riddler to give hints in response, similarly giving the reasons for the riddle will allow for other riddlers to try a new tactic.

qwertysaur
06-03-2010, 05:50 AM
The riddle thread has been dead for almost half a year because nobody wanted to try and solve my riddle.

here it is in case you want to try. :p

Once I was there,
That was long ago.
The first thing I will do
Is find it yet a again.

Wait lets explore,
And strive to find.
A soul, a stone,
And a reflection of my home.

It feels so close.
But never quite the same.

Shinwa Tsuki
06-03-2010, 02:55 PM
What is it you are looking for?

I'll take my riddle down.

Edit: Could you send me the link to the last FF9 riddle thread?

Edit 2: Is it Zidane as a child?

Once I was there, --> see the next line.
That was long ago. --> His birthhome Terra.
The first thing I will do --> see the next line.
Is find it yet a again. --> The blue light that he remembers.

Wait lets explore, --> Not certain.
And strive to find. --> Not certain.
A soul, a stone, --> The Gnomes.
And a reflection of my home. --> Not certain.

It feels so close. -->
But never quite the same. --> I don't know.

FFIX Choco Boy
06-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Mikoto? Reasoning should be pretty obvious, if not then I'm too lazy to type it out, lol. And welcome Shinwa Tsuki.

qwertysaur
06-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Both answers are incorrect. I can't say exactly the category the answer is in but it is something that everybody who has played this game will encounter.

A clue is that each stanza of the riddle is important. I'll give a bigger clue after you try again. I made this riddle to be very hard yet very easy. :p

Last riddle thread is right here.
http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/126525-final-fantasy-ix-riddles-three.html

Also incorrect guesses to this riddle, most are taken from the old thread :p
Vivi's visit to Quan's Dwelling
Garnet at the summoner village (forgot the name atm)
Zidane returning to Terra
Zidane
Oeilvert
Mount Gulug
Pandemonium
The stone faces in Oeilvert
The projector on the bridge thing that showed terra and bran bal?
Zidane as a child
Mikoto
Hints from the old thread:
The stone references the Gulug stone
Oeilvert is close but still wrong
it might or might not have anything to do with the castle with the four seals

Shinwa Tsuki
06-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the link! So it's on the Forgotten Continent then? Asuming that the answer is connected to Terra.

I'm going to wager this: Ipsen's Castle. I do have another guess having to do with Terra but little reasoning to go with it, I will state it if this one is incorrect. The reasoning:

Once I was there, --> see the next line.
That was long ago. --> The story of Ipsen that Zidane tells to Dagger.
The first thing I will do --> see the next line.
Is find it yet a again. --> Not certain.

Wait lets explore, --> Not certain.
And strive to find. --> Not certain.
A soul, a stone, --> The Gnomes.
And a reflection of my home. --> Not certain.

It feels so close. --> Not certain.
But never quite the same. --> I don't know.

Also, the summoner village is named マダイン・サリ Madain Sari in Japan which means that it is named Madain Sari over here in the USA.

qwertysaur
06-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Not Ipsen's castle.

Try to think with more than just your eyes.

Shinwa Tsuki
06-04-2010, 11:01 PM
So it's a sound of some sort? Related to Terra or the Lost Continent?

qwertysaur
06-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Yes it is somehing you can hear.

Shinwa Tsuki
06-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Is it linked with Terra or with the Lost Continent?

qwertysaur
06-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Yes.

Shinwa Tsuki
06-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Which one?

Edit: So far we have gathered that is
...linked with Terra or with the Lost Continent.
...it's a sound of some sort.

And the hints from the old thread:
* The stone references the Gulug stone.
* Oeilvert is close but still wrong.
* it might or might not have anything to do with the castle with the four seals.

Is it Kuja's theme?

Rantz
06-06-2010, 11:00 AM
The music piece "Oeilvert"?

Once I was there,
That was long ago.
Is find it yet a again.
"A Place to Call Home", whose melody this piece shares.

Wait lets explore,
And strive to find.
A soul, a stone,
And a reflection of my home.
Finding the Gulug stone and the holograms of Terra. Not sure if the soul refers to the stone or something else.

It feels so close.
But never quite the same.
It's almost the same as "A Place to Call Home", but played with different instruments.

Shinwa Tsuki
06-06-2010, 04:41 PM
I like that idea. I think that the soul would have to refer to Ark for some reason, that's my guess.

qwertysaur
06-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Rantzien is very close, but not quite there.

Shinwa Tsuki
06-09-2010, 05:43 PM
A Place to Call Home?

qwertysaur
06-10-2010, 01:43 AM
A Place to Call Home?
You got it! Good job! :D

Once I was there,
That was long ago. (These two lines refer that everyone at one time is somewhere they call home.)
Is find it yet a again. (It is the first piece of music you hear in the game, before you even start playing.)

Wait lets explore,
And strive to find.
A soul, a stone,
And a reflection of my home. (This entire stanza is asking you to actually play the game where you find each item. The soul references Soulcage, whom is found in the Ilfa tree, The stone is the Gulug stone found in Oeilvert, and the reflection of my home is the four mirrors found at Ipsens castle.)

It feels so close.
But never quite the same. (Each tune played at the location is very similar to A Place to Call Home, as each uses the same motif.)

Shinwa Tsuki
06-10-2010, 02:56 AM
That was a nice riddle, qwertysaur. I was only able to guess it because of Rantzien's guess being incorrect but pretty spot on.

Here's my riddle.

................Erratic is my heart, beating when he is nearby
...............Never before - felt this way about somebody else
............Intriguing is he, around him I'm incapable of thought.

....Zephyr blows eastward, forward marching today - our journey continual
.......Appreciate this calm, nothing stays forever, changes are abound
Dally with disaster - eternally victorious, abundant danger - day-to-day life.

I am looking for one answer, and a person and the thoughts. There are already enough clues here, and take a look at the number of words in each line. The colors are because the bold, the italics, and the underline are not that great with the Courier New font, also, the dots at the being is so that this riddle keeps the form I wish for it to have.

FFIX Choco Boy
06-10-2010, 03:55 AM
Eiko when she's at Madain Sari, making dinner for Zidane and the gang?

Shinwa Tsuki
06-10-2010, 03:57 AM
Nope, try decoding the hidden hints first.

qwertysaur
06-10-2010, 05:22 AM
Thank you :)
Pulling out the four words and unscrambling them gets
Dagger
Garnet
Summon
Cities

I'm guessing the kidnapping of Princess Garnet to take her to Lindblum :p

Shinwa Tsuki
06-10-2010, 05:34 AM
Thank you :)
Pulling out the four words and unscrambling them gets
Dagger
Garnet
Summon
Cities

I'm guessing the kidnapping of Princess Garnet to take her to Lindblum :p

No, it is not an event. You have the correct character, but I also wish for her thoughts. Who is she thinking of in the first verse, his name is there. And the second verse also has a link, but it is very vague and it is not an event of any kind related to the story - unless...

If you wish to, figure out way those five words are hints. Also, I wish to see your logic for the guess.

qwertysaur
06-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Ah I missed the fifth word that you linted to, Zidane.

The first part of the riddle is Garnet falling in Love with Zidane.

I guessed the kidnapping and traveling because you hinted at both Dagger and Garnet, and that is the part of the game where she changes names. She also is unable to use her summons fropm a story perspective (you can grind enough to be able to use them but it will not affect the story) and cities you go from Alexandria to Lindblum :p

Shinwa Tsuki
06-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Ah I missed the fifth word that you linted to, Zidane.

The first part of the riddle is Garnet falling in Love with Zidane.

I guessed the kidnapping and traveling because you hinted at both Dagger and Garnet, and that is the part of the game where she changes names. She also is unable to use her summons fropm a story perspective (you can grind enough to be able to use them but it will not affect the story) and cities you go from Alexandria to Lindblum :p

Yes, that will do. Quite well in fact.

I was thinking more of traveling in general, and that cities would be her home and birthhome.

Also, is there a current FF7 Riddle thread?

Edit: Reasoning....
................Erratic is my heart, beating when he is nearby
...............Never before - felt this way about somebody else
............Intriguing is he, around him I'm incapable of thought.

This verse only relates to how Dagger or Garnet feels about Zidane, this is more closer the the end of the game. It could also be how Freya sees Fratley, or even how Eiko thought about Zidane when she first met him. The second line, refers to confusion - she never felt true love before. The third line was originally intended to be "Interesting he is, when I am around him I am unable to think."

....Zephyr blows eastward, forward marching today - our journey continual
.......Appreciate this calm, nothing stays forever, changes are abound
Dally with disaster - eternally victorious, abundant danger - day-to-day life.

This verse relates to the journey. Two things to note is that zephyr here means both west wind and a gentle breeze, while dally means to flirt. The second line refers to the constant danger and the fact that calm is never around for long. My original thought for line three was that it would be read as "Flirting with danger - forever victorious, abundant danger - daily life." - similarly line two was originally going to be "Appreciate this calm, nothing stays the same forever."

I restricted myself to 9 words per line, for this riddle. And, yes, I included about 5 hints hidden within:

One letter at the beginning of each line forming a word: Zidane.
The structure allows for a word to be formed by the letters going down the center, indicated by the pale green letters: cities - this refers to both Alexandria and Lindblum, but it also refers to Alexandria and Madain Sari. The later being Dagger's birth home and her summoner's roots.
The letters in light blue are meant to be italics text: dagger - which refers to both the alias and the weapon.
The letters in pink are meant to be underlined text: garnet - which refers to both the royalty name and the gemstone.
The letters in plum are meant to be bold text: summon - which refers to being summoned to the court and the Summoner Class.

Just thought I'd mention, that.

Shinwa Tsuki
06-20-2010, 04:42 AM
I am hoping that this riddle thread will keep on going. As, it is very close to going over a week - two more days of waiting. Maybe someone else will have a stab at this. Here is another one.

Riddle
None of us harm, but it seems like we do.
One of us is a play on Holy, but not Holy itself.
One of us is a play on Meteor, but different from Meteor.
One of us is a play on Fire, but not Fire at all.
What are we?
When are we seen?
Where are we played?

-----
Should be rather simple. It'll make sense when I explain.

I am looking for three answers or their common theme, when they are seen, and where they are seen, and I would also like to know which one equates to which answer. You can combine both the when and the where.

Edit: I would still like to know if there is a current FF7 Riddle thread going....

Karifean
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
The SFX spells the Tantalus-group gets during the play at pretty much the start of the game? (You see them when the chars cast them)
Should be pretty obvious why. Can't remember there being a Holy-spell, but I remembered Meteo and Fire being fake castable spells.

Shinwa Tsuki
06-23-2010, 03:55 PM
The SFX spells the Tantalus-group gets during the play at pretty much the start of the game? (You see them when the chars cast them)
Should be pretty obvious why. Can't remember there being a Holy-spell, but I remembered Meteo and Fire being fake castable spells.

Yes, it is the spells that act as the special effects for the play "I Want To Be Your Canary". The spells in question are Poly, Pyro, and Medeo. Poly is a play on Holy, Medeo is a play on Meteor, and Pyro is a play on Fire. It makes more sense with the JV.

Poly is written as ポーリー PŌLĪ, Holy is written as ホーリー HŌLĪ, Medeo is written as メデオ MEDEO, Meteor is written as メテオ METEO, Pyro is written as ファイダ FAIDA, and Fire is written as ファイア FAIA. I should also mention that Fira is written as ファイラ FAIRA and Firaga is written as ファイガ FAIGA.

Karifean
06-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Open round.

Shinwa Tsuki
06-25-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm not gonna post another riddle here for a bit - I'd like someone else to play.

FFIX Choco Boy
06-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Lost for years,
Unspoken for longer.
Found in the rubble,
I continue tradition.
Left or right, it's your choice.
Just don't forget to listen.

What am I?

Shinwa Tsuki
06-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Leviathan Eidolon?

Rantz
06-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Is it Kuppo, the Moogle hiding behind the wall of rocks in Fossil Roo?

FFIX Choco Boy
06-26-2010, 04:42 PM
No to both.

FFIX Choco Boy
07-07-2010, 10:07 PM
No more guesses? It's been like a week and a half. I'll give a hint after 3 more.

Shinwa Tsuki
07-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Terra?

FFIX Choco Boy
07-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Nope, sorry.

Shinwa Tsuki
07-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Current Riddle:
Lost for years,
Unspoken for longer.
Found in the rubble,
I continue tradition.
Left or right, it's your choice.
Just don't forget to listen.

What am I?

Incorrect:
Leviathan Eidolon
Kuppo, the Moogle hiding behind the wall of rocks in Fossil Roo
Terra
-------------
For some reason, I'm thinking of the Moles.....

FFIX Choco Boy
07-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Noting to do with moles.

Shinwa Tsuki
07-10-2010, 10:34 PM
The 13th stellazio coin?

FFIX Choco Boy
07-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Nope.

Hint:

The "I continue tradition" line refers to FF1.

Shinwa Tsuki
07-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Garland?

FFIX Choco Boy
07-12-2010, 11:38 AM
No, but you're getting warmer.

Shinwa Tsuki
07-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I have another idea in mine but I'm gonna wait to see if anyone else wants to go.

|-THE redmage-|
07-20-2010, 09:24 PM
crystals?

FFIX Choco Boy
07-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Nope, though it does fit really well.

Shinwa Tsuki
07-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Sarah? Princess in FF1 and birth name of Princess Garnet in FF9.

FFIX Choco Boy
07-21-2010, 01:04 AM
You've got it. Your go.

Shinwa Tsuki
07-21-2010, 03:15 AM
That was a very nice riddle, FFIX Choco Boy. I would have guessed the four fiends or Cornelia. Anyway, here's my riddle.

Yearning for you, my dear,
Morning sees us faithfully together,
Never ending is our journey,
Eternity with you will be pleasant,
Over the mountains will go,
Keeping things moving schooling the children.

I am looking for one answer, yes but I also want to know who the children are and who is 'my dear'. As well as the four other things. I will state what those things are only after I get a question about them.

Karifean
07-21-2010, 02:38 PM
I suppose the four other things are anagrams of the italic, underlined, bold and capital letters. These are (if I didn't miss anything): afewth, omvyle, dgreag, YMNEOK. Haven't found sense-making anagrams yet, though.

The whole thing sounds an awful lot like the Summoner tribe (the children, maybe?) and the relationship between Zidane and Garnet.

Shinwa Tsuki
07-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Eeks, I must have bungled some of them - I'll be fixing that soon. But your idea of the relationship is spot on.

Edit: Fixed the poem, that should have been an [i] instead of a [w]. But the thought of the anagrams is also correct - you need to figure them out.

FFIX Choco Boy
07-21-2010, 05:41 PM
a thief
my love
dagger
MONKEY

Shinwa Tsuki
07-21-2010, 06:04 PM
That's right. Now, who is the talker? Answer that and this riddle is over!

|-THE redmage-|
07-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Well, going by what Karifean said, I'm guessing a thief and MONKEY are refering to Zidane

FFIX Choco Boy
07-21-2010, 08:19 PM
I would say Dagger/Garnet is giving the riddle.

Shinwa Tsuki
07-21-2010, 10:07 PM
It is Zidane who is talking. Think of it as a counterpart/companion piece to the Dagger one I gave earlier.

Choco Boy, Dagger is the one who is being spoken to - not giving the riddle, close nonetheless.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-27-2010, 02:20 AM
It's been more then 7 days. So, this riddle is also mine. Just give me a bit to think of a riddle. That is unless you wish to give a riddle.

Edit:
Riddle!
I am often mistaken,
For a carbunkle or another.
I, also, teach a certain summon,
To the one who holds my name.

I have fled from my birthplace,
I am a hime for some, aneki for others.
Now, a kisaki of my new home,
Buy he gives me hope and has returned by voice, my koi.

A unique riddle, only one particular answer for this.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-27-2010, 11:38 AM
The Garnet gem?

Shinwa Tsuki
08-27-2010, 05:06 PM
The Garnet gem is answer for first part. Care to finish the answer Chobo-Boy?

FFIX Choco Boy
08-28-2010, 03:46 AM
Garnet, and the second verse makes me think of Serah's mother, except for the last line. The "he" part has me stumped. I would not think it to be Serah, but maybe Eiko?

Shinwa Tsuki
08-28-2010, 04:46 AM
Hint: What does kisaki mean? It's Japanese, so that should be enough of a clue for now.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-28-2010, 05:13 AM
I have fled from my birthplace,
Princess for some, sister to others,
Now, a god(dess) of my new home.
But he gives me hope and has returned by voice, my koi.

Makes me think of Serah, but I don't really believe she's the answer. Idk, I'll guess her anyways.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-28-2010, 05:25 AM
Yes, she is the answer to the second part of the riddle. Now how are the two parts linked? Shouldn't be very hard now.

But kisaki means empress; queen not god[dess]. Oh, and aneki means older sister; elder sister. You have hime meaning princess correct.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-28-2010, 12:47 PM
hime and aneki were words I already knew from Japanese, kisaki I didn't.

So it's Serah in the kitchen with the candle- err, rather, Serah equipped with the Garnet in Alexandria learning Bahamut.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-28-2010, 04:22 PM
I'll give it to you Chobo-Boy.

However I was hoping for the answer Garnet, the riddle refers to both the gemstone, first stanza, and the person named after, second stanza. Oh, and koi means love here - as it also means carp.

Sarah is her birth name, she fled from her birthplace for a reason, she was given the name Garnet by her adoptive parents {Branhe and her husband}, fled from Alexandria for a reason, and gets the alias Dagger. At some point, Zidane {the one referred to in the riddle} hands her the Garnet gemstone. The Garnet gemstone, certainly does teach the Bahamut summon.

The Garnet has been mistaken for the Carbuncle and the Ruby gemstones in history. And today, the Almandine {a type of Garnet gemstone} has nicknames of Oriental garnet, almandine ruby, and carbuncle.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Well, if there's already a Dagger or a Garnet in an answer, I automatically default to calling he Serah as to avoid confusion.

I got one ready here.

Don't tap too fast, you'll just fall down.
Don't tap too slow, you'll trip up.
Don't run too slow, you'll end up losing.
Don't lay that there, there's no defense.
Don't be sad, here take these.
Don't fall behind, you'll be abandoned.

Of what do I speak?

Shinwa Tsuki
08-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Okay, I can understand that.

Hm, I not certain for your riddle. But why don't you see if others are willing to participate?

FFIX Choco Boy
08-29-2010, 03:39 AM
This thread's been pretty dead for a while. >.> I think we're like the only ones left Shinwa.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-29-2010, 03:48 AM
Okay. Will you see if others are willing to come back, ask them by Mognet if you can.

My guess for your riddle is something to do with the jump-rope mini-game.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-29-2010, 04:47 AM
That's a good guess, it's real close.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-29-2010, 05:11 AM
The Hippaul racing mini-game?

FFIX Choco Boy
08-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Also close to the answer.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-29-2010, 04:12 PM
The last thing that comes to mind is the sword-fight with Blank at the beginning.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Sorry, nope, and getting colder.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-30-2010, 04:28 AM
The Cid-mini-game in Desert Palace?

FFIX Choco Boy
08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Nope, sorry, colder still.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Choco side-game?

FFIX Choco Boy
08-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Nope, just as cold.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Odin Sword mini-game? Where you have to arrange the flowerpots....

FFIX Choco Boy
08-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Still cold. I'll give a hint now: The answer is not a specific event or mini game.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-31-2010, 04:48 AM
Uh, I know I'm out of ideas......

I go with Equipment menu.

Rantz
08-31-2010, 12:19 PM
The collective mini-games of Alexandria?

Don't tap too fast, you'll just fall down. <- Jump ropes
Don't tap too slow, you'll trip up. <- Zidane & Blank sword fight
Don't run too slow, you'll end up losing. <- Hippaul's racing game
Don't lay that there, there's no defense. <- Tetra Master
Don't be sad, here take these. <- This makes me think of when the Ticket Master gives Vivi cards, which isn't really a mini-game... but yeah.
Don't fall behind, you'll be abandoned. <- Not sure about this one.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Rantz, you're so close I'm not sure if I should give it to you. Change just one thing, and I'll give you the go and a full explanation.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-31-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't know anything else....

FFIX Choco Boy
09-07-2010, 01:44 AM
The guesses stopped. I'll give a hint: Rantz only needs to change one thing about his reasoning, and to figure out the last line. After that, he's got it.

Shinwa Tsuki
09-07-2010, 02:05 AM
Uh, the last line made me think of Puck, Vivi, and the sneaking into the play for some reason. But I don't know....

FFIX Choco Boy
09-07-2010, 02:46 AM
Exactly.

Shinwa Tsuki
09-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Don't be sad, here take these. - could this be the gambling game you can do with Benero, Genero, and Zenero -the Nero brothers?

Depression Moon
09-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Is don't fall behind you'll be abandoned referring to when Quina was leisurely taking her time when Kuja was destroying Terra and Freya said hurry up or you'll be left?

FFIX Choco Boy
09-07-2010, 08:43 PM
DM, I just stated that Shinwa's thoughts on that line were correct. And Shinwa, no, he was right with that line.

Shinwa Tsuki
09-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Reposting Rantzien's post. The green text is mine, as it is the only change with his answers.

The collective mini-games of Alexandria?

Don't tap too fast, you'll just fall down. <- Jump ropes
Don't tap too slow, you'll trip up. <- Zidane & Blank sword fight
Don't run too slow, you'll end up losing. <- Hippaul's racing game
Don't lay that there, there's no defense. <- Tetra Master
Don't be sad, here take these. <- This makes me think of when the Ticket Master gives Vivi cards, which isn't really a mini-game... but yeah.
Don't fall behind, you'll be abandoned. <- [!] google_ad_section_end [/!]Uh, the last line made me think of Puck, Vivi, and the sneaking into the play for some reason. But I don't know....

Rantz
09-07-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking it's probably the third line I got wrong, as that's the only one not available during your first Alexandria visit with Vivi, so it sticks out a bit. It might be referring to the kids running around playing games... I'm not sure. I'll guess the first Alexandria visit.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Rantz has it! The girl with the balloon and the boy following her are playing tag, IIRC.

Don't tap too fast, you'll just fall down. - Jump Rope
Don't tap too slow, you'll trip up. - Sword Fight
Don't run too slow, you'll end up losing. - Girl with balloon and boy playing tag
Don't lay that there, there's no defense. - Tetra Master
Don't be sad, here take these. - Ticket Booth guy giving Vivi cards
Don't fall behind, you'll be abandoned. - Puck running around while Vivi tails him

Rantz
09-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Ah, cool :} I don't have a riddle ready. Shinwa can make one if he wants to as he did most of the guesswork on the riddle.

Shinwa Tsuki
09-08-2010, 03:14 AM
I'll have to think of something new. So, it's an open floor right now - unless I can think of one soon.

Hey, Ranztien, do you think you can get others back here?

FFIX Choco Boy
09-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Yes, please, very lonely here on the IX riddles.

Shinwa Tsuki
09-08-2010, 03:52 AM
Hey, Choco Boy, do you know the current FF8 riddle thread?

FFIX Choco Boy
09-08-2010, 11:37 AM
It's on the 1st page, called Final Fantasy VIII Riddles, but it's more dead than this one.

Rantz
09-08-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't really know how I could get people back here - I think there's just a lack of interest as it is. The best one can do is really to keep the thread active so more people will see it.

Shinwa Tsuki
09-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Ah, okay. I still haven't thought of a riddle.

I'll take a look.

|-THE redmage-|
09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
I will attempt to answer when a riddle is posted (if i can). I haven't forgotten about this thread, I'm just no good at riddles.

Freya
09-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Yeah i'm just pretty terrible at riddles in general soooo that's why I haven't been posting :D

Shinwa Tsuki
09-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Here's my riddle.

Time flows much like me,
I flow from the northeast to the south,
I empty into the sea near a unique forest,
I fall at a point on my journey,
At another point I travel though a mountain.

The answer is a bit abstract. But those who can answer it will be glad they payed enough attention to the game.

Rantz
09-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Is it the Mist continent river? The one that flows through Alexandria and Lindblum territory, I don't know if it has a name.

Time flows much like me
I flow from the northeast to the south, - Starts in Alexandria, in the northeast of Mist continent. Runs to the south end.
I empty into the sea near a unique forest, - Chocobo Forest
I fall at a point on my journey, - Outside Alexandria
At another point I travel though a mountain. - Near South Gate

Shinwa Tsuki
09-14-2010, 02:21 AM
That's the correct one I was referring to.

I also believe that time flows like a river.

Rantz
09-14-2010, 11:40 AM
I am endless toil
Interrupted - down and up
No comedian I

Yet it somehow helps
Thrice more I strike, then punch out
Do I smell a rat?

Shinwa Tsuki
09-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Oh, boy.

Looks like a monster, is it a monster?

Rantz
09-14-2010, 03:03 PM
It's not a monster. :)

Shinwa Tsuki
09-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Is the rat referring to traitors? Or just the Burmecians and Cleyrans?

Rantz
09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
The line has several meanings.

Carl the Llama
09-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Prince Puck?

Rantz
09-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Not Prince Puck.

Shinwa Tsuki
09-20-2010, 02:01 PM
I am endless toil - a worker?

No comedian I - possibly referring to the answer's antics of being funny when not intending to?

Rantz
09-20-2010, 02:41 PM
You've got the first one right. The second one could arguably be right, but there are two more important meanings to the line.

Carl the Llama
09-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Is it the worker who is fixing the sign when Vivi trips over?

Rantz
09-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Correct! Reasoning as follows:

I am endless toil - He works constantly, hammers away on his sign endlessly until...
Interrupted - down and up - Vivi trips, making him miss. He climbs down the ladder, then back up.
No comedian I - This is a reference to the signmaker's name being Dante, like the author of Divine Comedy. But sign maker Dante is no comedian - instead he gets angry at Vivi's little comical tripping.

Yet it somehow helps - But it seems that it helped, because though he worked eternally before...
Thrice more I strike, then punch out - When he returns, he only strikes the sign three more times. Then he "punches out", ie. leaves work.
Do I smell a rat? - A reference to Puck who arrives on the scene, who apart from being a rat is also up to no good, which the phrase suggests. ;)

Your go!

Carl the Llama
09-20-2010, 08:39 PM
I pass

Depression Moon
09-20-2010, 09:20 PM
A bridge to azure light
Fiends of Foreign Nature
Self view

Shinwa Tsuki
09-21-2010, 04:18 AM
Is it the Shimmering Islands?

Depression Moon
09-21-2010, 02:02 PM
That's one part of it.

Karifean
09-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Terra?

Depression Moon
09-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Nope Shinwa got the first line correct. The other two need to be interpreted.

Shinwa Tsuki
09-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Fiends of Foreign Nature - makes me think of the Elemental Guardians....

Depression Moon
09-28-2010, 11:37 PM
2nd answer correct.
1 left.

Shinwa Tsuki
09-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Uh...
A bridge to azure light = Shimmering Islands
Fiends of Foreign Nature = Elemental Guardians
Self view

I don't have any idea as two the last one.... Self could be another word for 'me, myself, I', view could be another word for 'sight, see, look'.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Une's Mirror?

Depression Moon
09-29-2010, 07:33 PM
You're right that it has to do with mirrors just not Une's Mirror.

Karifean
09-29-2010, 08:17 PM
The mirrors in Ipsen Castle?

Depression Moon
09-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Yep, but I think it might have to go to Shinwa since she got two out of three.

Shinwa Tsuki
09-30-2010, 04:51 AM
*cough* I'll pass this one, I've got a few already up - and nearly one after the other.

That is unless no one else wishes to go in seven days time.

Depression Moon, can you give an explanation for your riddle and the answers?

Depression Moon
09-30-2010, 06:21 PM
A bridge to azure light
(The azure light is reference to glow of the water in Bran Bal. The bridge to getting to its planet Terra is the Shimmering Isles)

Fiends of foreign nature
(Going along with Terra theme the elemental guardians protect the bridge of the Shimmering Isles. They are foreign in nature as they are references to the four fiends in Final Fantasy IV and they were created by Garland an alien)

Self view
(Also going along with the Terra theme. It's related to the last line as the elemental mirrors are keys to opening the path way to the Shimmering Isles, but they must be placed at the alters of the appropriate temples where the fiends will attempt to stop the party.)

Guess Karifean can go since he guessed one.

Shinwa Tsuki
10-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Ah, I see now.

Karifean
10-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Hmm...

What about this, anyone want it?
Or can you give me what I desire?
Or do you want to fight alone?
All will get you things you admire.

Shouldn't be too hard.

Shinwa Tsuki
10-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Eh, I'm a bit lost. Is it an item?

Karifean
10-02-2010, 02:50 PM
No.

Shinwa Tsuki
10-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Or do you want to fight alone? - is this referring to Amarant?

Karifean
10-03-2010, 08:39 PM
No.

SaveOurSeeker
10-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Queen Brahne maybe

Shinwa Tsuki
10-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Treno auction house (line 1), Treno shop with monster below (line 3), and the four Treno key items (Une's Mirror is one of them) (line 2). Are those the answer for the lines 1 through 3?

Karifean
10-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Shinwa pretty much got it. The second one was referring to the Stellazio Coin sidequest. And the fourth line just tells you that there're some nice rewards.

So it's basically Treno. Shinwa, your go.

Shinwa Tsuki
10-05-2010, 04:47 AM
I'll pass this one up.

Karifean, the only way I was able to guess the answer to your riddle was by looking at it (and the inaccurate answers). So here's what I was thinking after looking at each line again.

What about this, anyone want it?
This was referring to the Auction House.

Or can you give me what I desire?
This was referring to the mini-quest relating to the key items, which you can attain though the Auction House, such as Une's Mirror.

When I read your response to the guess I gave for this one, when you said the Stellazio Coin side-quest.

I think both of those fit well, to this line. What do you think, Karifean?

Or do you want to fight alone?
This was referring to that one shop with the chance of fighting a monster below, what's the 'game menu' name of that place?

PS: I originally thought that this referred to Amarant and his behaveor (before Ipsen's Castle).

All will get you things you admire.
So there are some nice rewards? Can you cite some of them, Karifean?

Shinwa Tsuki
12-18-2010, 03:51 AM
Hello? Karifean, are you there?

Karifean
12-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Sorry.

I think both of those fit well, to this line. What do you think, Karifean?

True. That's why I gave it away.

So there are some nice rewards? Can you cite some of them, Karifean?
That blood sword, the hammer, the magical fingertip, dark matter, running shoes, maybe?

Btw, anyone think of a riddle?

Shinwa Tsuki
12-18-2010, 03:38 PM
I cast with the color of water to create beauty,
A blossom made of pureness is one ingredient.
I chant a spell, using the blood of a Sahagin,
At a mountain root, I call upon a dragon.
I cast with the northwestern wind,
A ray of hope in the surrounding darkness.
I use my book, you know my name,
In this world, I am not seen whatsoever.

This is a bit different, I'm looking for something that the answer(s) have in common. And I also want where most of this is from.

FFIX Choco Boy
12-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Eidolons? Each line seems to describe a different add on that lets a character learn another eidolon, namely the gems.

Shinwa Tsuki
12-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Eh? Nope, it's not an add on. Look at the structure a bit.

Depression Moon
12-19-2010, 12:58 AM
It sounds a bit like Leviathan to me or Garland.

Shinwa Tsuki
12-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Neither.

Hint: Uses a reference to a previous FF game.

Rantz
12-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I believe the first three row pairs refer to the Beautiful, Strange, and Unusual Potions that Zidane has to gather in Lindblum. They all have a quote if you check them:

I cast with the color of water to create beauty,
A blossom made of pureness is one ingredient.
Beautiful Potion
"Color of water... Une's Mirror... Flower of light... Holy thunder. Cast the spell in the full moon."

I chant a spell, using the blood of a Sahagin,
At a mountain root, I call upon a dragon.
Strange Potion
"Root of mountain, source of sea... Sahagin's blood. Head of a revived beast... Call a dragon. Chant a spell."

I cast with the northwestern wind,
A ray of hope in the surrounding darkness.
Unusual Potion
"Sigh of whisper grass, Light of the dark... Antidote... Cast a spell in the northern wind."

I use my book, you know my name,
In this world, I am not seen whatsoever.
As for this part, it refers to the fact that the quotes are said to be from the "Book of Matoya", Matoya being the witch in the original Final Fantasy.

Shinwa Tsuki
12-19-2010, 07:25 PM
That's correct! Rantzien, your turn!

Edit: Matoya is not even seen in FF9, which is why I used the term 'reference' in my hint.

Rantz
12-21-2010, 01:03 PM
There I am, at a distance
in the calm after perilous chase
There I come, to assistance
the argenteous danger to face

Spoken of with filial pride
when yearned for man returned
Spoken of no more; I hide
in dual infinity turned

Kind of a halting rhyme there at the end, but oh well!

Shinwa Tsuki
12-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but filial mean parental. So it could be a parent speaking with pride....

Rantz
12-21-2010, 05:17 PM
It's actually the opposite :D

Repost for new page:

in dual infinity turned

Karifean
12-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Blank?

Rantz
12-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Nope!

Codelock
12-21-2010, 06:38 PM
vivis grandpa?

FFIX Choco Boy
12-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Artemisis, whatever the purple moogle's name is?

Rantz
12-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Neither of those.

Shinwa Tsuki
12-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Hm, Freya about Fratley?

Rantz
12-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Nope, sorry.

Shinwa Tsuki
12-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Are we looking for an item, or something else?

Rantz
12-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Not an item. :)

Shinwa Tsuki
12-22-2010, 02:18 AM
Hm, an event?

Rantz
12-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Try to make some guesses and give reasoning for them and I'll comment on that instead. I don't want to narrow it down too much too quickly. ;)

Shinwa Tsuki
12-22-2010, 09:03 PM
There I am, at a distance - someone standing from afar
in the calm after perilous chase - after a chase
There I come, to assistance - that person comes to someones aide
the argenteous danger to face - to deal with a dangerous 'argenteous' - which is argenteous?

Spoken of with filial pride - with the pride of a lover/sweetheart
when yearned for man returned - who is longing for one's 'man' to come back
Spoken of no more; I hide - the 'man' is no longer spoken of but the person hides from
in dual infinity turned - an eternal circle of dualism

Something makes me think of the Ipsen story.

Rantz
12-22-2010, 09:25 PM
It's not related to the Ipsen story.

You're a bit off in your thoughts about the second stanza. "Filial pride" is not the pride of a lover, but (here) of a child towards their parent. The "man" referred to is not the same as the riddle's answer, and is not what the last two lines refer to. The last line is a little trickier as it is a bit of a mini puzzle.

FFIX Choco Boy
12-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Is it Blank?

Rantz
12-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Nope! (that was the first guess)

FFIX Choco Boy
12-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Oh, I never saw it. My browser must have skipped it, lol.

Baku?

Rantz
12-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Not Baku.

capricious
01-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Is it the little prince rat? (sorry I forgot the names - been awhile since I played)

Rantz
01-03-2011, 10:37 PM
It's not Prince Puck.

capricious
01-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Ok... Is it the riddle that the eidolon Ramuh makes you do?

Rantz
01-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Afraid not!

Shinwa Tsuki
01-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Hmm....

For some reason I'm thinking of Mog.

Rantz
01-04-2011, 02:59 AM
Not Mog, either.

What you're looking for is nothing living.

Shinwa Tsuki
01-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Ah, that brings the Terran face stones in Oeilvert to mind...

Rantz
01-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Not the faces in Oeilvert, sorry.

Since this riddle is going pretty slowly, would you like another hint?

Shinwa Tsuki
01-08-2011, 04:15 AM
Yes, please!

Rantz
01-08-2011, 05:12 AM
The answer exists in two forms. Only the last line (and partly the line before it) mentions the second form. The first form is seen at two points in the game, no more, no less.

Shinwa Tsuki
01-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Hm, that's trickier - but it narrows a lot down. Uh, how many times do we see the second form?

Rantz
01-08-2011, 11:02 AM
As many or few times as you like. :)

Shinwa Tsuki
01-09-2011, 03:28 AM
Hm, is the answer on one disk or on several - that is, the first form?

Rantz
01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Several.

Jiro
01-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Gosh darn.

The first stanza makes me think the character comes to the party's rescue at some point. One of the clues says the answer is only seen twice in its first form. This makes me think that their entrances and exits are story related, otherwise you would be able to visit them repeatedly.

in dual infinity turned

The only thing I'm getting from this is that the answer must be a parent or parental figure.

I have :bou::bou::bou::bou: all reasoning but I'm going to toss out Alleyway Jack/Gilgamesh. Because my own investigations yielded nothing xD

Rantz
01-13-2011, 11:49 AM
It's not Gilgamesh, sorry. Don't get stuck on thinking it's necessarily a character! ;)

Shinwa Tsuki
01-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Is it Mog? Or Madeen?

Rantz
01-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Nope. Remember that the answer is nothing living.

*Devore*
01-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Hilda Garde I

Rantz
01-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Not Hilda Garde, but I think you're getting closer in your thinking if you're thinking the way I think you're thinking. I think.

Depression Moon
01-14-2011, 10:48 PM
The Invincible?

Rantz
01-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Not the Invincible.

Hollycat
01-14-2011, 11:28 PM
alexander

Rantz
01-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Nope.

Shinwa Tsuki
01-15-2011, 01:14 AM
Blue Narcassia?

Rantz
01-15-2011, 01:17 AM
Not the Blue Narciss.

Hollycat
01-15-2011, 03:05 AM
the dagger

Rantz
01-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Not the dagger, sorry!

Hollycat
01-15-2011, 05:33 PM
*hc cries, he cant remember anything from that game, even though he is currently playing it*
(again, by the way, the whole gilgamesh quest is a waste of time)

Quindiana Jones
02-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Argentous danger makes me think of the conflict with the Silver Dragons, in which case the answer could be a Hilda Garde.

in the calm after perilous chase - Invincible heads towards the portal, silver dragons fly out, then Cid appears all armoured and that.

the argenteous danger to face - Aiding in the battle against (potentially) silver things. DIE SILVER THINGS, DIE!

when yearned for man returned - The Hilda Garde 1 or 2 was Cid's greatest airship. It's a loose link, but damnit I'll stand by it for the sake of my incorrect answer!
in dual infinity turned - *shrug* It's the third one that becomes the best one, so nobody gives a toss about the first and second?

Rantz
02-10-2011, 12:15 PM
It's not the Hilda Garde, but - aside from being much closer in general - you are right that "argenteous danger" refers to the silver dragons. The first two lines refer to another event, though.

I forgot I had a riddle here xD

Shinwa Tsuki
02-11-2011, 02:09 AM
The Red Rose?

Rantz
02-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Not the Red Rose.

Shinwa Tsuki
02-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Something that relates to the silver dragon, something which has two forms - the first form is only seen twice.... Hey Rantzien, would you give us a list of the hints you've given so far?

Hollycat
02-11-2011, 11:38 PM
.... can I has a hint

Sid_Highland
02-12-2011, 05:13 AM
i'm thinking the lifa tree (you visit it twice) and the silver dragon is there at least on of the time...

if not... for the last like dual infinity turned, could it possibly be a math referance, meaning something to do with the number 88 (two infinity signs turned a 1/4 turn?

Sid_Highland
02-12-2011, 05:26 AM
extendid train of thought:
in the calm after perilous chase - coming to the recently decesed queen Brahne (garnets addopted mother) after being chased down the tree by mistidons.

the argenteous danger to face - The party tryes to go and assist the queen who was attacked by kuja on his silver dragon, turning brahne's summon against her.

when yearned for man returned - Dagger (dispite everything the queen did to her) speaks of the good traits she had, possibly wished her father was still alive.

in dual infinity turned - the queen is not mentioned again... and this is where i have no guess.

Rantz
02-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Ha, I didn't expect anyone to get the "dual infinity turned" part, but like Sid_Highland guessed it does refer to 88.
It's not the Iifa Tree or anything related to Queen Brahne. And sure, here are the hints I've given so far - and a new hint, in bold.

Not an item
Nothing living
"Filial pride" refers to a child proud of their parent, though neither part is the answer itself.
The answer exists in two forms. Only the last line (and partly the line before it) mentions the second form.
The first form is seen at two points in the game, no more, no less. These are on different disks.
The second form is seen as many or few times as you like.
The first two lines refer to the first time the answer can be seen in its first form. The following two lines refer to the only other time.
"Argenteous danger" refers to the Silver Dragons swarming out from the portal to Memoria.
"Dual infinity turned" is a rotten way of saying "88".

in dual infinity turned

G13
02-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Does it have something to do with ships using Mist engines? It kind of makes sense in the first stanza, but I'm not sure how that would work into the second.

88 makes me think of the Black Mages using numbers as names.

Jiro
02-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I haven't read all of the guesses but is it South Gate? You see it once on Disk 1, once on Disk 2 (this is the airship South Gate) and then the second form of South Gate is the foot one which you can see multiple times. Or something, I'm drawing from memory here. (Even though Steiner and Dagger cross on foot at the beginning of Disk 2...)

Rantz
02-12-2011, 03:16 PM
No to all of that, but in a way you could say South Gate is indirectly involved in one line. Wouldn't try to go on it, but it may be a hint!

Shinwa Tsuki
02-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Is the answer linked to the background scenery? Or could it be an action?

I'm a bit baffled, it has two forms, and you can see it's first one very close to the end of the game and one somewhere else in the game.... Yet, you can see it's second form as many times as you would like - this leads me to think it's either something within Memoria - something to do with the background scenery, or the answer is in a very different location... maybe on the Red Rose or the Hildagarde 3 or even the Invisible.

Rantz
02-13-2011, 12:32 AM
It could be said to be part of the background scenery, depending on how you define that.

Jiro
02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
I still don't remember the other guesses but is it Beatrix? You fight her twice or..wait no I think it's three times. smurf.

EDIT: Way to read the post above Jiro. Erm, it's not Alexander by any chance, is it? I owe you more reasoning than this, but it's really got me stumped and I just hope I can kick someone's mind into gear.

Rantz
02-23-2011, 11:38 AM
It's not Alexander. Thanks for trying. :)

FFIX Choco Boy
02-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Bran Bal?

Rantz
02-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Not Bran Bal. The answer is more obscure - you could play through the game and never learn the name of it.

G13
02-23-2011, 01:19 PM
I hate this riddle. You're too good, Rantz.

I will take another crack at it.

in dual infinity turned

There's only one part that really makes any sense to me.

It's not living and it's not an item. This line refers to the second time you see it in its first form (???). The only thing I see during the battle before Memoria is a bunch of clouds and airships coming to assistance.

The first form is something far away just chillin' after some excitement, a chase scene I assume from the way you worded it. You also say that South Gate is indirectly involved.

The last stanza has me stumped but the one before kind of goes along with the answer that's coming to me.

I think it might be the old freight airship Zidane, Garnet, Steiner and Vivi use to get to Lindblum. It's old and if irrc Zidane says something about being surprised it's still in use (Spoken of with filial pride, when yearned for man returned), it destroyed South Gate to get away from the Black Waltz and to get to Lindblum (There I am, at a distance, in the calm after perilous chase), and it's a ship, so it may have been in the big group of them at the end of the game (There I come, to assistance, the argenteous danger to face)

I have no idea what 88 could refer to though, so maybe that's an indication that I'm wrong. :p

BUT, Rantz says we could go through the whole game and never learn the name, and I don't know the name of that ship. Do you?

Jiro
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Why do FFIX riddlers always pick obscure things? :p

Rantz
02-23-2011, 04:49 PM
It's not the cargo ship, but that's the closest answer yet. I can tell that you guys are getting tired of this riddle :D, so here's a big hint: yes, the "perilous chase" refers to the chase through South Gate, so the answer is seen shortly after that.

Another hint: The two first lines of the second stanza describe the only time the name of the answer is mentioned in dialogue. The name of the second form can be seen more often, but not in dialogue.

I think you should be able to get it now xD And I like obscure riddles! Still, I try not to do them too often as not everyone appreciates them as much. ;)

Depression Moon
02-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Black Waltz #3?
Cid's Brother?

Rantz
02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Nope, still nothing living! Who's Cid's brother?

Hollycat
02-23-2011, 08:13 PM
the city of monkeys

FFIX Choco Boy
02-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Theatre Ship/Prima Vista?

Edit: Actually, I'm thinking a different ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMQJDjD1jkQ

The one seen at 0:31, is it those? If I remember correctly, after a while those ships are seen flying around the map with 2 blimp balloons, shaped like 88's, on top of them, but without them they are only seen in the Lindblum Arrival, and the Assault of the Silver Dragons.

Rantz
02-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Correct! The ship in question is called the Viltgance. Explanation is as follows.

We have this whole stanza worked out already. First you can see it in Lindblum, in the calm after the perilous chase through South Gate. Secondly you see it when it takes on the Silver Dragons at the portal to Memoria.

This, like I said, refers to the only time the ship is named in dialogue. Marsha, the little girl in the Lindblum Business District, tells you proudly about how her father rides a ship called Viltgance ("spoken of with filial pride"). She says this only after her father, whom she and her mother were waiting for, joins them ("when yearned for man returned").

Spoken of no more
Not mentioned again.

I hide in dual infinity turned
As we already established, "dual infinity turned" is a jerk way to say 88, which is the number of the Viltgance card in Tetra Master - its second form. Kind of a mean hint, but with a little research it could have been the key to solving it. ;)

You're up, FFIX Choco Boy!

FFIX Choco Boy
02-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Ah, ok, I didn't guess the card part cause I didn't know what they were called. Guess it really would have helped, since Tetra Master popped into my head as soon as I saw Viltgance.

Well, since it's become tradition, here comes an obscure FFIX riddle.

Dark and dank, my home is.
I feel hollow, inside.
To my left, your savior,
To my right, your first hint of danger.

What am I?

Hollycat
02-23-2011, 10:44 PM
swamp?

FFIX Choco Boy
02-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Not a swamp.

Hollycat
02-24-2011, 12:38 AM
vivis grandpas cave

Depression Moon
02-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Dagger?

FFIX Choco Boy
02-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Neither of those two, sorry.

Jiro
02-24-2011, 02:33 AM
Rantzien I really enjoyed that riddle despite being tough. Keep it up, they're always good fun :D

As for this one, my first thought is of the Black Mages. Particularly one who has already stopped working and is buried, which would cover the dark, dank and hollow inside parts.

The first sign of danger line makes me think early game, but the saviour line throws me off. Unless it refers to Baku, who rescues Zidane in the past and also comes through the left door. The right would then be the first sign of danger because it triggers the battle with Masked Dragon. Or something, I don't really have a guess.

FFIX Choco Boy
02-24-2011, 02:39 AM
You're correct in thinking that line 4 hints at the game's start, but I'm afraid the rest is wrong.

Depression Moon
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Actually I'm not exactly sure if he's his brother, but I was talking about the man with the long gray beard. You meet him when you first arrive in Lindblum. He identifies Garnet by her pendant.

Carl the Llama
02-26-2011, 11:07 PM

Actually I'm not exactly sure if he's his brother, but I was talking about the man with the long gray beard. You meet him when you first arrive in Lindblum. He identifies Garnet by her pendant.

The guy she calls Uncle Artania?

Anyways I think the answer may be Queen Brahne.

FFIX Choco Boy
02-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Not the queen.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Been a few days.

Repost:
Dark and dank, my home is.
I feel hollow, inside.
To my left, your savior,
To my right, your first hint of danger.

Hint 1: Line 4 hints at the game's start.
Hint 2: "Savior" refers to an action performed by the savior.

Depression Moon
03-03-2011, 02:11 AM
Vivi Evil Woods with Blank and co?

Rantz
03-03-2011, 08:14 AM
This is a really obscure guess, but: the hollow tree trunk you pass through by the Prima Vista crash site?

Jiro
03-03-2011, 08:27 AM
This is a really obscure guess, but: the hollow tree trunk you pass through by the Prima Vista crash site?
The one with the moogle?

Rantz
03-03-2011, 08:32 AM
No, right by the Prima Vista you have to run through a hollow tree trunk to get to the monster-infested parts of Evil Forest.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Actually, Legolas, you've got it. Your go!

Rantz
03-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Oh, cool :D Might've been my luckiest guess ever considering the obscurity of the answer.

Someone else can have my go, though.

Depression Moon
03-03-2011, 11:37 AM

The guy she calls Uncle Artania?

yeah.

Jiro
03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
No, right by the Prima Vista you have to run through a hollow tree trunk to get to the monster-infested parts of Evil Forest.

See I couldn't even think of that one. I had a log stuck in my head but the only one I could think of was the one with the moogle! But that obviously didn't work with the "first sign of danger".

Nicely done on getting it though!

EDIT: If nobody particularly minds, I wanna steal this go :p

It won't last long so time it right
Activated, you become a sight
Sought after by the one who
Would bring pain and ruin unto you

Lame rhymin' but w/e. Good luck~

Hollycat
03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
trance

Jiro
03-04-2011, 04:14 AM
Nice and easy for you, nice work.

Hollycat
03-04-2011, 04:21 AM
I'm gonna make a hard one for the first time ever.

Under the climb of the flying green, I request and you must convene. If you wish to pass you must answer my call.
By the shell of the snake my lair is lain, up is death, back is folly, down is impossible, forward is the only path remaining.
There are no men here, though the women be ugly. Who am I and where do I dwell.

Sid_Highland
03-05-2011, 04:06 AM
Gizamaluke's Grotto the cave with the bells, and its the two moogles on a honey moon i believe. you have to help the wife becouse the husband is under a bell, give her a kupo nut and he comes out, she gives you the holy bell.(which you need).

Theres in the path with the moogle cupple you can climb up but going up leads to a plateau with grande dragons(the flying green). which WILL kill you!(therefore up is certain death). if you go back you can't preceed any further in the game so it is folly. there is no path leading down.

no men and ugly women, i assume is refering the the lamia/s.

Who am I and where do I dwell?

i assume its talking about the moogles, and they dwell near the end of Gizamaluke's Grotto :)[!] google_ad_section_end [/!]

Hollycat
03-05-2011, 04:43 PM
WOW! good job. I guess I shouldnt have added the shell part.
You got it all.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-16-2011, 09:56 PM
*Yoink*

Trapped, I cannot get out.
But boy, do I need to.
Don't worry, you won't be covered.
Dig to your heart's content,
I'll make sure you don't lose yourself.