PDA

View Full Version : most valued sense

missaira
06-04-2010, 12:31 PM
this is really quite sweet:

Aussie's ear implant joy becomes online hit (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/1063968/perth-womans-ear-implant-joy-becomes-online-hit)

and got me thinking - which of your senses (sight, hearing, smell, touch, taste) do you most value? how would you rank them in priority?

i think for me sight would definitely come first, then touch, smell, hearing and taste.

Chris
06-04-2010, 12:34 PM
1: Sight. I can't imagine not being able to see the world, and people around me. I don't think I could live without my sight.

2: Hearing. Not being able to listen to music would seriously damage my soul to no end. What is life without music? To me, not much.

Christmas
06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Should be sight since I wanted to see my friends and their smile and hearing should come next since I wanted to hear their voice. Next will be sense of touch cause I wanna harass them. :kaoclove:

BTW, do the sixth sense counts too? :bigsmile:

oddler
06-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Sight, hearing, touch, taste, then smell in order of most importance. Going blind would suck way worse than losing any of the other senses, to me.

Madame Adequate
06-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Smission.

Mo-Nercy
06-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell.

Sight would be the worst to lose, by far. Hearing would also be pretty bad, but I could imagine living without one of touch, taste or smell, but probably not all of them.

missaira
06-04-2010, 12:52 PM
i agree that going blind would be the absolute worst. but touch is up there too, imagine not being able to feel hot water or a sharp knife or prickly bindis or smooth velvet or a fluffy dog :(

i would like to revise my ordering here and switch smell for hearing, not sure what i was thinking before. however i do love smelling smells : )

Cuchulainn
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
of humour

Rodarian
06-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Sight....Hearing....Feeling....Taste....

Carl the Llama
06-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Smell is a life saver literally, once while working I went to turn on the ovens at work only to smell gas in the air... turns out if I turned the ovens on I would have been blown up.

so for me smell is most important though I hold all my sense's in high reguard they are all as important to me.

Inferno
06-04-2010, 02:56 PM
1: Sight. I can't imagine not being able to see the world, and people around me. I don't think I could live without my sight.

2: Hearing. Not being able to listen to music would seriously damage my soul to no end. What is life without music? To me, not much.

Exactly this.

Breine
06-04-2010, 03:43 PM
All the senses are pretty damn important to me! I'd find it excrutiating to live without even one of them xD

I guess if I had to choose only to have one out of them all, I'd probably pick sight.

~*~Celes~*~
06-04-2010, 04:11 PM
All the senses are pretty damn important to me! I'd find it excrutiating to live without even one of them xD

I guess if I had to choose only to have one out of them all, I'd probably pick sight.

Psychotic
06-04-2010, 04:42 PM
I saw this movie where Robert Carlyle had lost all feeling because a bullet was eating its way into his brain, but he got to smurf Sophie Marceau and he could hold nuclear fuel rods. I think it was called "Planet of the Apes".

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that losing touch - and therefore the ability to feel pain - might actually be kinda cool. I can't see the benefit to losing any other senses.

Peegee
06-04-2010, 10:16 PM
I would be sad if I lost any of my senses, but in particular I couldn't live without touch (wtf how would that even work).

If I went deaf I might not care as much, but if I went blind I would be very depressed about it.

Losing my taste sensations would render food meaningless which is A BIG DEAL

And what's left....sense of smell would affect my sense of taste. I wonder what it would actually do to my day-to-day sensory interpretationing?

Yar
06-04-2010, 11:35 PM
I heard somewhere that deaf people feel lonelier than blind people.

Anyway, I'd like to say that I would rather be deaf than blind, but when I actually think about it and try to justify my reasoning, I think I'd rather be blind. I love music too much and listening to people's voice and etc

Zeldy
06-05-2010, 12:02 AM
In my General Studies paper it asked me to name all the senses. Can you believe I got it WRONG?! I completely forgot 'Taste' and I put 'Imagination'.

hahahahah. I'm not surprised I got an E, oops!

So obviously, 'taste' is not high on my priorities.

Araciel
06-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Style.

Shiny
06-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Losing the sense of touch is actually not as amazing as it sounds. I saw a documentary once about a few people who do not feel physical contact, pain, etc. so they would do all sorts of stupid stuff like stick things in their eye. Most of them ended up blind.

Mirage
06-05-2010, 12:09 AM
From most important to least important: Sight, sound, touch, taste, smell.

Oh wait, my sense of logic above all, of course.

Christmas
06-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Losing the sense of touch is actually not as amazing as it sounds. I saw a documentary once about a few people who do not feel physical contact, pain, etc. so they would do all sorts of stupid stuff like stick things in their eye. Most of them ended up blind.

Sense of touch and sense of taste is very important to us if we are gonna do that feat in that picture. :kaoclove:

Shiny
06-05-2010, 05:38 AM
Nu! :stare:

I think I'm going to file for a restraining order.

Carl the Llama
06-05-2010, 07:17 AM
I saw this movie where Robert Carlyle had lost all feeling because a bullet was eating its way into his brain, but he got to smurf Sophie Marceau and he could hold nuclear fuel rods. I think it was called "Planet of the Apes".

It was actually The World Is Not Enough.

qwertysaur
06-05-2010, 08:31 AM
I heard that there is a seventh and a half sense that detects HATE. You NEED that to live or Baboons will constantly try to tear you limb from limb in an attempt to restore that sense. :(

Hot Shot
06-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Smission.
loool good old Bender!

But honestly all our sense are valuable. I couldn't imagine life without anyone of my five senses. But if I had to choose one to live without it would probably be smell because I would never have to smell a fart, garbage or any other bad smell ever again. Then again, I would never smell my favourite foods or a girls purfume and I will never be able to smell a gas leak.

Edit: It's really wierd but while I was writing this I was listening to a Stevie Wonder song (Isn't she lovely) and the guy who made the video said that in 1970 Stevie had a car crash which damaged his brain, which ultimately made him lose his smell and taste. I researched and aparrently Stevie temporarily lost his sense of taste and had (and still does) a partial loss of smell. So for one point in time Stevie only had 2 1/2 senses. I find that really amazing and it makes me think I take all my senses for granted. If he can live like that, then I, and everyone else, should be thankful for each and everyday that I have all five of my senses.

Rantz
06-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I would say sense of humour is most important to me, but I already lost that in 'Nam. I'd be pretty miserable without either of my senses, but I suppose I'll say sight like everybody else.

blackmage_nuke
06-05-2010, 03:17 PM
My spidey sense so that I may find wrong doers and put them in their place

My sight because Im a photographer for a New York Newspaper :shifty:

Momiji
06-05-2010, 04:27 PM
The last time we had a thread like this, I went on a long rant about how losing your sense of smell would end up in you losing your sense of taste as well, since those senses kind of go hand in hand... so

1. Sight
2. Hearing (tie)
2. Touch (tie)
4. Smell
5. Taste

qwertysaur
06-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Also balance is really useful.

Fujiko
06-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Hearing is probably the most important to me, then sight, touch, taste and smell; though sight comes very close to being just as important as hearing out of those senses.

Psychotic
06-05-2010, 09:10 PM

It was actually The World Is Not Enough.:greenie:

Iceglow
06-06-2010, 02:13 AM
I'd like to keep all my senses but if I was put in the position of "During this day you will permanently lose one of your primary senses. You will get to choose which one you lose but that is all" I would have to choose losing my sense of taste. Taste can be important, yes. It tells us when something is wrong with our food, when something is poisonous and it brings us much joy. However a good common sense and a bit of research can protect you against the dangers of lack of taste and face it, if you could taste nothing you'd never spend money on buying crap like chocolate, cakes or sweets because well, whats the point? (apart from gum/mints which help keep breath fresh during the day) If you can't taste things like that there is no requirement, no enjoyment out of eating them. This sure as hell would help with the healthy diet because you'd never complain that this meal tastes too bland nor would you bother eating sweets or other junk food.

Christmas
06-06-2010, 02:18 AM
I'd like to keep all my senses but if I was put in the position of "During this day you will permanently lose one of your primary senses. You will get to choose which one you lose but that is all" I would have to choose losing my sense of taste. Taste can be important, yes. It tells us when something is wrong with our food, when something is poisonous and it brings us much joy. However a good common sense and a bit of research can protect you against the dangers of lack of taste and face it, if you could taste nothing you'd never spend money on buying crap like chocolate, cakes or sweets because well, whats the point? (apart from gum/mints which help keep breath fresh during the day) If you can't taste things like that there is no requirement, no enjoyment out of eating them. This sure as hell would help with the healthy diet because you'd never complain that this meal tastes too bland nor would you bother eating sweets or other junk food.

You just want to taste your precious alcohol. :ursula:

Iceglow
06-06-2010, 11:12 AM
You just want to taste your precious alcohol. :ursula:

It's true I like the taste of my Jack Daniels and it's also true I want to keep on tasting it however, the primary function of alcohol is to get you wasted and well. Even if I couldn't taste it I could still drink it for that purpose :D

missaira
06-06-2010, 11:40 AM
having thought about it some more, doesn't one's sense of taste deteriorate over time anyways? like when you're a kid you hate the taste of strong stuff like coffee etc. but then once you're old you eat stuff like caviar.. so technically you kind of are losing a sense as you grow old..

but then i guess that's the same with people's hearing. and sight too, i guess.