PDA

View Full Version : Trivia and Connections

Shinwa Tsuki
06-05-2010, 09:01 PM
I not certain if this is the right location....

This thread is for the Final Fantasy games and associated content. Connections and trivia is what it's all about. Anyone you posts here must be respectful to every one and must state which game that connection and or trivia is for.... So this could span many games. It is suggested that you have beaten the game in question or you are near the end of that game.

There will be no disrespect to each other.
When you add your input related to names please state what that name is for along with the version [JV for the Japanese Version and EV for the English Version].
All of the Japanese written script that is in katakana will be romanized in CAPS so that it may be distinguished from the written script that is in hiragana. This will help everyone in the long run.
If you wish to add input with the names in the JV then please in some manner add the proper characters.
The names of the JV will have a [・] even when the original name doesn't have one.

Feel free to add to this. I will go first.

First of all, in FF8, did you know that Quistis can pilot the Ragnarok, you can confirm this on your own by simply putting both Zell and Selphie in you active party once you have the Ragnarok.

Now for FF9, Garnet Til Alexandros 17<sup>th</sup> is truly the the 18<sup>th</sup>, as she was adopted by Branhe and the King to replace their recently deceased daughter. I have to theorize that their first daughter had the exact same name as the Garnet we know. If I remember correctly, Doctor Tot said that both Garnets looked like each so much that the only thing separating them was Dagger's summoner horn which was removed once Dagger was adopted.

Edit: This thread may contain etymology, but only if the name in question relates to either most or all of the games. The connections may be to other games within the FF series, it may be to our reality, or it may be connection one character to another character. Also, weather it is for trivia, connections, or etymology please remember this: the English Version will be called EV while the Japanese Version will be called JV to simplify things.

Cid is the name in the EV while シド SHIDO is the name in the JV. It would be best to translate this name as Sid. I can't quite explain why.

Big Edit: After this one I will no longer indicate what the new text is - only the pale green text.
There is a minor character FF9 named Tiffany in the EV and ティファニー TIFANĪ in JV. She is an obscure reference to Tifa Lockhart of FF7 - Miss Lockhart's given name is short for Tifanie (a variation of Tiffany).

There is a minor character FF9 named Elena in the EV and エレナ ERENA in the JV. She is an obscure reference to Elena of FF7, her EV name at the least.

There is a minor character FF9, a Cleryan named Eileen the Wind Maiden in the EV and 風の巫女アイリーン Kaze no Otome AIRĪN in the JV. She is an obscure reference to Elena of FF7, her JV name, at the least, is based on Elena's JV name - find her name in http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vii/132583-ff7-name-meanings.html.

There is a minor character FF9 named Pricilla in the EV and プリシラ PURISHIRA in the JV. She shares her JV name with Priscilla of FF7, the one you have to give mouth-to-mouth to with Cloud.

There is a minor character FF9 named Polom in the EV and ポロム POROMU in the JV. This character shares her/his name with Porom of FF4 - only the EV Square didn't catch it, if they did then they deliberately misspelled the name.

Draniei
06-19-2010, 03:45 AM
FFIV has a character named Kain Highwind. He shares the same name with Cid Highwind of FFVII. They both use lances in battle. They may ve related.

Shinwa Tsuki
06-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Might be, can you tell me which version - EV or JV?

Wolf Kanno
06-20-2010, 06:23 AM
FFIV has a character named Kain Highwind. He shares the same name with Cid Highwind of FFVII. They both use lances in battle. They may ve related.

Actually this goes all the way back to FFII (Official version not the American travesty) where the first Dragoon is introduced in the series by the name of Ricard Highwind who was the last Dragoon left after the Palamecian Empire wiped out his clan and poisoned their dragons.

Highwind is thus a running gag in the series always associated with Dragoons with both Kain Highwind and Cid Highwind being future Dragoons in the series. Kain is also immortalized, since he's the most famous dragoon, by having a weapon named after him called Kain's Lance which debuted in FFIX and has appeared in the Tactics Advance series as well as FFXIII. Speaking of XIII, Fang, the game's token Dragoon character, has a special ability that looks like the classic Dragoon jump ability and its conveniently called Highwind. :D The only exemption of the Highwind name in the series is the King of Tycoon whose full name is Alexander Highwind Tycoon according to art books and source books.

Another name that gets around is Leonheart. Its the full name of Leon in FFII who became the series first Dark Knight. Funny enough, according to the Settei Shiryou Hen (an early Japanese source book before FF switched over to the Ultimania collections starting with FFVIII) the Deathbringer sword that Cecil obtains in Fabul in FFIV actually has a backstory which stated the sword used to belong to a Dark Knight who came upon Fabul when he was injured, he was so grateful and impressed by the monks that he renounced the sword and became a monk as well. His name according to the Fabul Legend? Leonheart.

An odd coincidence of naming comes from the EV of FFVI where Tina is renamed Terra which ends up creating another contrast to the other main heroine of the game Celes. Terra is another name for Earth while Celes can be interpreted as being short for Celestial or Heaven. I don't think Woosely had that in mind when he changed Tina's name (course he may have but never mentioned it). A similar contrast is in FFVII between Cloud and Aerith who once again use the Heaven and Earth naming schemes. Course this goes on forever with Nomura's titles since he loves naming his protagonists after celestial bodies or weather effects: Cloud, Squall, Tidus, Yuna, Sora, Lightning, Snow, Noctis... etc....

Another amusing contrast between names is between Cloud and Zack. Cloud's last name being Strife, Nomura decided to make Zack's last name contrast it by making his last name be Fair.

Shinwa Tsuki
06-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I have been giggling to myself when I was read that, Wolf Kanno! That's rather interesting! I must tell that Rinoa's JV name is short for Elenore - which means light. So her name is a contrast to Squall - which is a type of storm.

Vermachtnis
06-20-2010, 03:43 PM
There is a minor character FF9 named Polom in the EV and ポロム POROMU in the JV. This character shares her/his name with Porom of FF4 - only the EV Square didn't catch it, if they did then they deliberately misspelled the name.

The other twin is named Palom. Maybe they just smushed the two names together

Shinwa Tsuki
06-20-2010, 04:26 PM

The other twin is named Palom. Maybe they just smushed the two names together

Nope, here are the Japanese script of the twins. Palom (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Palom) is written as パロム PAROMU while Porom (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Porom) is written as ポロム POROMU. This means that it is Porom's name that is being reference. The reason why - because the letters r and l are typically interchangeable with when one transliterates it into the English words/Latin letters.

Here are some Japanese wrods with the l-r letter problem: ロック ROKKU is translated as lock, rock and roc, リック RIKKU is translated as the word lick and the name Rick (with the variations: Rikku and Ryck), ラック RAKKU is translated as luck, ruck, and rack - just to name a few Japanese words with the l-r issue.

Does anyone know what the Japanese script for the EV name Polom's Action Figures is in the JV. It would help in comprehending why it is called "Polom's Action Figures" in the EV.

Edit: A FF4 character is also reference with the name of the red planet Terra. The character that is reference in both cases is Tellah, whose name is written as テラ TERA in the JV, the planet's name is テラ TERA as well.

Edit 2: It seems to me that the play I Want To Be Your Canary and the overall game (FF9) itself are both based on Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, the FF9's play is just as tragic as Romeo and Juliet, but the FF9 ends on a much lighter and far better note. For that matter Lord Avon who was the one to write I Want To Be Your Canary is a reference to William Shakespeare himself - Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Another name that gets around is Leonheart. Its the full name of Leon in FFII who became the series first Dark Knight. Funny enough, according to the Settei Shiryou Hen (an early Japanese source book before FF switched over to the Ultimania collections starting with FFVIII) the Deathbringer sword that Cecil obtains in Fabul in FFIV actually has a backstory which stated the sword used to belong to a Dark Knight who came upon Fabul when he was injured, he was so grateful and impressed by the monks that he renounced the sword and became a monk as well. His name according to the Fabul Legend? Leonheart.

And odd thing that I have just noticed when I reread that. It seems to suggest that Fabul and Leonhart are related somehow - but which game?

Edit: I'm taking this from my FF# Name Meaning threads and adding more names.

Shiva in the EV and シヴァ SHIVA in the JV. This summon has the attack ability named Diamond Dust in the EV and ダイヤモンドダスト DAIYAMONDO DASUTO in the JV. It's name has two possible sources one of which is the Hindu god of the same name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva), and the other is a Slavic fertility and love goddess named Živa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDiva_%28goddess%29). The Hindu write the god's name as शिव Śiva. The name of the Slavic goddess may also be Siva. Her ability's name comes from a term relating to ground-level cloud composed of tiny ice crystals.

Titan in the EV and タイタン TAITAN in the JV. This summon has the attack ability named Terrestrial Rage in the EV and 大地の怒り Daichi no Ikari in the JV. It's JV ability name translates as Rage of the Earth. This summon is named after a Greek mythical creature named named Titan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28mythology%29) which the Japanese write as ティーターン TIITAN (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%B3), and the Greek spells the singular word titan as Τιτάν - while the Greek would write the plural word titanes as Τιτάνες which that Japanese would write as ティタネス TITANESU, also note that both Greek words Τιτάν and Τιτάνες refer to the males the females have the English-tongue name of Titanides.

Fenrir in the EV and フェンリル FENRIRU in the JV. This summon has the attack ability named Millennial Decay in the EV and 千年の風化 Sen'nen no Fūka in the JV. It's JV ability name translates as Weathering of a Millennium. This summon is named after a Norse mythical wolf with the same name: Fenrir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir) which the Japanese write as フェンリルFENRIRU (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A7%E3%83%B3%E3%83%AA%E3%83%AB).

Ramuh in the EV and ラムウ RAMŪ in the JV. He is also known as Indra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indra) in the EV. This summon has the attack ability named Judgment Bolt in the EV and 裁きの雷, Sabaki no Ikazuchi in the JV. His name seems to be linked to ラムー RAMŪ which is translated as Ramu - a Bangladesh name.

Moogle in the EV and モーグリ MŌGURI in the JV.

There are several references with characters, items, and whatnot in FF9 (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/132561-ff9-name-meanings.html) to previous FF games before FF9, and to real life.

Depression Moon
08-27-2010, 05:05 PM
General Madeleine in IX is an allusion to Jeanne D'Arc.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Hmm? I not understanding that Depression Moon, why do you think that General Madaleine is an allusion to Jeanne D'Arc as I'm not familiar with Jeanne D'Arc.

Depression Moon
08-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Madeleine lead small group of soldiers during the war while she was 13 and she died at that age. Same with Jeanne D'Arc.

Shinwa Tsuki
08-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Oh, I didn't know that at all.