PDA

View Full Version : 100 greatest Characters in the past 20 years!

Freya
06-06-2010, 09:36 PM
20. Ally McBeal from Ally McBeal
19. Morpheus from The Matrix series
18. Sue Sylvester from Glee
17. Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider franchise
16. Bridget Jones from the Bridget Jones series
15. Shrek from the Shrek series
14. Jeff “The Dude” Lebowski from The Big Lebowski
13. Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean series
12. Fox Mulder and Dana Scully from The X-Files
11. Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld
10. SpongeBob SquarePants from SpongeBob SquarePants
9. Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City
8. Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs and its sequels
7. Edward Scissorhands from Edward Scissorhands
6. Rachel Green from Friends
5. The Joker from The Dark Knight
4. Tony Soprano from The Sopranos
3. Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
2. Harry Potter from the Harry Potter series
1. Homer Simpson from The Simpsons (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/06/01/100-greatest-characters-of-last-20-years-full-list/)

What do you guys think? Do you agree? Click the quote for the rest of the list.

Levian
06-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Having seen the whole list I must say I like it! It doesn't seem biased towards genre or age, so that's a big plus. Whoever made this list did good research.

Dexter Morgan being on the list is also a very good thing :D

Meat Puppet
06-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Must have been a :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty 20 years, looking at that top 20.

LunarWeaver
06-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Master Chief from Halo is beating 41 other characters? Really? Maybe on a list of icons or impact or something, but as a character... c'mon.

Buffy is 3, yay <3

Rye
06-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm glad Harry Potter is number two!

charliepanayi
06-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Ally McBeal? Carrie Bradshaw? Rachel Green? What is this, a list of the most annoying TV characters of the last 20 years? I like Friends but Rachel as a character was probably the most bland out of all of them.

Bunny
06-06-2010, 10:35 PM
The list lacking any characters from Firefly is a travesty.

The list in general is terrible.

Edit: Oh, and the lack of Veronica Mars or Keith Mars from that list makes it doubly terrible. This is not a personal opinion, since the majority of TV critics agree that these characters are amazing.

Hot Shot
06-06-2010, 10:53 PM
I HATE this list. I think there are so many sucky characters like Ally McBeal, Briget Jones, Sue Sylvester (whoever the hell that is), Harry Potter and a few others. I'm glad Homer Simpson is there, but I cannot believe that Peter Griffin isn't!

charliepanayi
06-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Probably because Peter Griffin is a really rubbish Homer Simpson knock-off.

Mo-Nercy
06-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Stewie Griffin came in at #45 and he's really the best thing about Family Guy.

It was also good to see Ron Burgundy on the list. Truly well deserved :D.

NeoCracker
06-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Spike not making this list is a travesty, and all those involved need to be shot for this glaring oversight.

Rye
06-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Note: If anyone from SATC should be on that list, Carrie is the last one I'd choose. She is the most annoying grating character on the show. If the show could have ran without her in it, I'd be happier than way.

I'm a Miranda. :greenie:

Del Murder
06-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Good to see Homer was number 1. He is the greatest television character in history.

Where is Al Bundy though?

Depression Moon
06-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Before I click on the link are there any other video game characters besides Lara Croft and maybe Mario or Link?

Freya
06-07-2010, 01:53 AM
I HATE this list. I think there are so many sucky characters like Ally McBeal, Briget Jones, Sue Sylvester (whoever the hell that is), Harry Potter and a few others. I'm glad Homer Simpson is there, but I cannot believe that Peter Griffin isn't!

YouTube - Jane Lynch as 'Sue Sylvester' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IUQwi_PJTM)

Also yeah some of it is like :confused: but i'm glad harry potter and buffy were in the top 3.

Clo
06-07-2010, 05:47 AM
Oh man. When I first glanced at the list I saw "Edward" from Edward Scissorhands and "Vampire" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I did a double take. Thank god. Oh man. I mean, that would have just been too ridiculous.

Shlup
06-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Give Glee some more time and Sue Sylvester will be higher on that list. She's already pretty high, but that character is a walking talking masterpiece.

ETA: No Firefly characters? Are you kidding me?? That show may not have lasted long, but every character was brilliant.

Shiny
06-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Ally McBeal? Carrie Bradshaw? Rachel Green? What is this, a list of the most annoying TV characters of the last 20 years? I like Friends but Rachel as a character was probably the most bland out of all of them.

Yeah I am wtfing Ally McBeal big time. I don't think that show was even on that long. And I don't see how Rachel was more popular than the other friends. I thought Phoebe was more interesting.

Del Murder
06-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Yeah Rachel was a pretty bland character. Chandler or Joey would have been much better choices.

Madame Adequate
06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Not only is there no Firefly, there's also no Castle, which has similarly awesome characters and could justifiably use up a few spaces on that list.

Oh and it might just be by one place, but you are going to sit there and say with a straight face that Roseanne is superior to Cartman?

I knew from the start this list would be widely agreed upon and not at all divisive :greenie:

Quindiana Jones
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Any list of awesome that doesn't have Malcolm Reynolds very high up is a failure of a list. I'm pretty sure it actually classifies as logically invalid.

Breine
06-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm just happy that Buffy is in the top 3. - and Homer is a great choice for no 1.

Overall it's not a bad list.

EDIT: Oh, and it's awesome that SpongeBob is in the top 10! :thumb:

qwertysaur
06-09-2010, 05:02 AM
No Dr. Horrible :(

It's better than most top XX lists though, at least it has almost no bias for genre or age as Levian said :p

Jessweeee♪
06-09-2010, 08:10 AM
80. Gorillaz, the animated rock band

Don't get me wrong, I love their music, but what? xD

Shadowdust
06-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Spike not making this list is a travesty, and all those involved need to be shot for this glaring oversight.

Agreed.

I'm disappointed not to see Ash from the Evil Dead movies make the list.

NeoCracker
06-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Yes, Ash most definately should have made it. As should Herbert West from The Reanimator series.

Proxy
06-14-2010, 01:41 AM
I like the names on the list, but I don't think the order is right. I'd re-type my picks but I'm so bloody lazy

Raistlin
06-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Unlike most popular "top" lists, I have a tough time criticizing the top 5 (I'd put Buffy ahead of HP, but oh well). The rest is pretty meh.

Hambone
07-02-2010, 09:21 AM

Vehemently agreed. Number three was a good choice imo.

Carl the Llama
07-03-2010, 05:25 PM
No characters from Heros??? Namely Hiro, how he didn't make the list I'll never know lol.

Vagrant
07-03-2010, 06:28 PM
I partly agree with the top five.

But Harry Potter? Am I the only one who finds him remotely annoying?

Not sure about some of the other names in there, depends on whether you're going for most influencial, coolest, or just most loved characters. If it's the latter, then Jack Shepherd from Lost, JD from Scrubs, and Jermaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords would all be in my top ten.

EDIT: David Brent in the 70's?!!! There was a tv show here in Britain the other day that ran a similar countdown and he was in the top 10. He's become a British industry now! Genius character