PDA

View Full Version : Question about Macbooks

Rye
06-07-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Macbook sometime in the next few months. I'll probably just get the standard Macbook, the one with the 250 GB HD, for $999.

I know Macs are bad for gaming. This doesn't bother me since 1) I rarely play computer games and 2) I'll still have my Windows laptop to play games on if I so wish to. What I don't know is how Macs work for things that I do a lot on my computers. Any Mac users out there to lend some knowledge on the following:

Torrenting - probably the most important thing I do on my computer besides web browsing and IMing/webcamming. If torrent is difficult or troublesome on Macs, then I don't want one at all. Can you torrent the same as on a PC, with uTorrent and such, without having bugs or difficulty?

Also, I'm curious as to how expensive they are to repair if they're damaged? Apple is kind of a dick about repairs for iPods and iPhones, so I'm sure this is no exception, but I'm curious.

Thanks! Sorry if any of these questions are stupid - I'm not the biggest computer whiz.

o_O
06-07-2010, 02:23 AM
With gaming concerns out of the picture, you don't really have anything to worry about, software-wise. There'll be a Mac alternative to almost any piece of Windows software in existence.

I've never had to get a piece of Apple hardware repaired, but I'd imagine that with the size of the company compared to the number of complaints you hear about them, the customer service can't be TOO bad (compared with say, DELL :p). In spite of that, I can pretty much tell you it'll be more expensive than other companies. Apple's always more expensive.

Slothy
06-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Torrenting - probably the most important thing I do on my computer besides web browsing and IMing/webcamming. If torrent is difficult or troublesome on Macs, then I don't want one at all. Can you torrent the same as on a PC, with uTorrent and such, without having bugs or difficulty?

uTorrent is available for Mac though I can't say I have any experience with it on Macs so I can't say how well it runs. Perhaps someone else can fill you in in that respect, but I figured I'd at least throw out that it is on the Mac.

Also, I'm curious as to how expensive they are to repair if they're damaged? Apple is kind of a dick about repairs for iPods and iPhones, so I'm sure this is no exception, but I'm curious.

All depends really. If repairs are under warranty they won't cost a thing. If they're not then it depends on what went. RAM, hard drive or anything else easily replaced by the user and you could probably do it yourself fairly cheap. If something like the graphics chipset or motherboard goes though and the warranty is up you might as well buy a new computer with what they charge you. I'm not kidding on this either as such things have happened to my sister.

And though this is completely anecdotal I think it bears mentioning; my sister has had problems with every single Macbook she's owned, and almost been burned with those repair fees. If she hadn't bought her current one with her credit card and if it weren't for them providing a warranty one year beyond the manufacturers warranty she'd be buying a new one since her graphics chipset is dying. She's not the only person I've known who had nothing but trouble from their Macs either. Mind you, I've known plenty who have had no real problems, but I'm saying this as a warning to at least get a bit of an extended warranty I guess. For an extra couple of hundred bucks you could save yourself having to buy a new computer in a year and a half if the worst happens.

Rye
06-07-2010, 02:35 AM
Dell really screwed me over with my repairs last summer. I ended up having to pay something like 400 dollars. to get a full warrenty for 2-3 years (I forget, I gotta check the paperwork), because they wanted to charge me 500 dollars or something ludicrous to repair water damage that never occurred to the computer. I was so furious.

I wouldn't mind having to fork out a little more, in exchange for having to get my hardware replaced/repaired less often. I've only had to get one repair in all of the years I had iPods, yet this Dell heats up like the sun and then needs to be repaired every 12 months, it seems, despite the fact that I have a cooling mat and all. XD

My main attraction to the Macbook is that 1) it's light, because now that I'm commuting to uni, and my commute is an hour away, I have to bring my laptop with me always, in the case I forget to print out an assignment, and to stave boredom between classes and 2) the interface design is just very aesthetically pleasing to me. I don't do enough on the computer to make the switch over terribly inconvenient, compared to how much I'll enjoy the look of the whole thing.

Also, now that every university has gone Apple crazy, I won't have to annoy myself trying to convert my files and power point presentations into a format that works with Macs and my computer. That will be convenient.

Thanks a lot, Mike! :D

EDIT: Thanks Vivi22! I've learned the sad fact that the extended warranty is pretty much a necessity through my own problems with Dell, so I definitely hear you there, and I won't be skimping on it. XD

Out of curiosity, what problems did your sister have with her Mac? I know with PCs laptops, the usual problem is overheating and frying - at least, that's the only problem I've ever had, aside from my first laptop (a crappy Sony) having the screen pop off its hinges. But I've never heard of a Mac overheating, so I'd like to know what I'd have to look out for if I do get one!

Shiny
06-07-2010, 03:52 AM
I use utorrent on my Macbook Pro and it usually works fine. You'll probably have to end up replacing your Mac HD after a few months. They purposely put in a weaker HD so that it will most likely need to be replaced after a while. Make sure you get that warranty.

rubah
06-07-2010, 05:38 AM
The best mac app for torrenting, afaik is Transmission. It's lovely.

Buy applecare.

I haven't had any harddrive trouble on either of my MBPs yet, but I did have to get the superdrive replaced on my first one (it was an refurb of an early gen though)

As for gaming, you can dualboot windows, and the performance should be great for a laptop. The later mbps (dunno about macbooks) have a graphics card. Windows does funny things to your fan, so an external cooler might be in order.

If you want a mouse, I recommend microsoft's Laser Mouse 8000. It runs off of bluetooth, and you don't even need the included dongle with a mac.

For IM, I use adium, which is basically a mac version of pidgin, slicked up, but there are official releases of MSN and Yahoo! both, I know, which should support webcam etc. Skype works well, also.

Microsoft word 2008 is the devil, just saying.

ummmmmmm i really have enjoyed both of my macbook pros and probably could go on about them forever. If you have any more specific questions, I would be happy to expound in detail :D

Rye
06-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks, guys! Is it worth getting a MBP over just a regular Macbook?

Shiny
06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
It depends on what you plan on doing with it. I needed more space on the HD for film projects and editing software so I had to get a Macbook Pro with more GB.

Slothy
06-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks, guys! Is it worth getting a MBP over just a regular Macbook?

If you're buying new and we're talking the base 13" models here then you'd be paying an extra $200 for 2 more GB's or RAM and the aluminum body. For your purposes, I really don't think you'd need the extra RAM and if you wanted it you could probably upgrade it for less (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Anything other than the base 13" though and your only option new is a MBP. And if you go any bigger than 13" you'll be paying for a discrete graphics card and Core i5 that you may not use and some extra hard drive space you probably wouldn't need. I'd recommend sticking to the 13" myself unless you really need that stuff, especially since the prices start to climb fast once you move to the 15".

Miriel
06-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Why does everyone always bring up the gaming thing? Running windows via bootcamp/parallels/vmware fusion is super easy. I've played Final Fantasy XI on my Macbook Pro for years.

For the apple care thing, I've always found Apple to be really good about taking care of you. I've had a bunch of things replaced while on warranty, and even when I was out of warranty, they would replace things like the power cord or battery for me. But I guess a lot of that depends on if you get a nice person or not at the genius bar.

Hythloday
06-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Miriel is right. Installing Windows on a MacBook is as easy as putting in the CD, installing and then putting in a drivers CD. Done. It's not at all about software or OS, it's about the hardware. So if you like the way it feels, get it. And then get a cool sticker for the back.

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/7489/obamamacsmall.png

Meat Puppet
06-15-2010, 03:08 PM
what the hell does afaik even mean

Hythloday
06-16-2010, 10:17 AM
AS far as I know, Cherry Poptart.

LowCaloriePie
06-16-2010, 12:21 PM

Really? They've been really good to me when it came to repairing my iPod. :confused:

Shiny
06-18-2010, 07:10 PM
They are okay with repairs for me too, but that's because I'm under the warranty and I plaid for insurance.

champagne supernova
06-24-2010, 09:53 PM
I haven't used Windows 7, but OSX is much better than any previous Windows. Everything just works. And is so much more intuitive.

I haven't had a problem that is Apple's fault (one was me trying to be too smart and the other was the external's fault), but each time they sorted it out for me. For free. So I've found their support really good.

Peegee
06-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Why would you install windoze on a macbook? This is more of a general question than an attack on Rye (which wouldn't make sense if it were)

Slothy
06-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Why would you install windoze on a macbook? This is more of a general question than an attack on Rye (which wouldn't make sense if it were)

If you want to play games that aren't made by Valve, or run any program that doesn't have a Mac version for that matter.

Mirage
06-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Why does everyone always bring up the gaming thing? Running windows via bootcamp/parallels/vmware fusion is super easy. I've played Final Fantasy XI on my Macbook Pro for years.

For the apple care thing, I've always found Apple to be really good about taking care of you. I've had a bunch of things replaced while on warranty, and even when I was out of warranty, they would replace things like the power cord or battery for me. But I guess a lot of that depends on if you get a nice person or not at the genius bar.

Yeah, Macs are best when you use windows 7 on them.

rubah
06-28-2010, 10:44 PM

AutoCAD, most Steam games. Those are the only things I've installed windows on mine for.