PDA

View Full Version : Living in a foreign country

Inferno
06-09-2010, 04:08 AM
I would like to know who does ! And why !? Studies ? Work ? Anything.

I live in Canada and I just can't see myself living anywhere else. Although I have not travelled a lot, I am pretty sure I could discover another place where I would love to live... but leaving my family, my friends and everything I've got ? I don't know.

Christmas
06-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Well, I stayed in the Middle East area for a few months back then when I was in the navy. I think it is more or less considering "living" there just that my lodging area is on a ship. :bigsmile:

It is pretty saddening when you had to leaving your family and friends behind, but still I am able to maintain contact with them through the internet or the phone. In the meantime, you will be able to make new friends from this foreign place and learn their culture and stuff. :bigsmile:

It is a good experience personally speaking, it is also a good way to learn to be more independent and how to start all over again! :bigsmile:

Bunny
06-09-2010, 05:18 AM
I would, eventually, like to live somewhere in Europe, perhaps multiple places for a short term time. I really enjoy moving around and seeing various places, but I don't like getting tied to one spot for more than two years or so. Six months in a foreign country before moving to another area would be ideal for me.

Unfortunately, this probably won't ever happen.

Mo-Nercy
06-09-2010, 05:53 AM
There's some opportunities for me to perhaps work in the U.K. after I've graduated. I haven't given it a lot of thought though.

Rodarian
06-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Hey I lived in Canada for all my life until four years back when I moved to Pakistan.....

Now I'm working here....Which isn't so bad...This place has lots of downs but at least its bearable cause I've gotten a social circle that I can hang out with.

Its a good experience I tell ya... You learn to think a little bit more globally .

Xanthia
06-09-2010, 11:06 AM
I've lived in foreign countries most my life o.o... Meep.

First I moved to the UAE because of my Dads work, and then to Oman - again because of work.

And now I'm in Switzerland for my University studies... Oh yeah!!! -coughs-

It's nice to move around, you get to learn so many new things. But yeah, I also feel like I don't really have a home =//

Chris
06-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Because of my family situation, I have alternated between two countries for most of my life. If I wasn't living in Denmark, I would be living in the Philippines. As I kid, I always referred to both countries as "foreign". :D

Rodarian
06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Because of my family situation, I have alternated between two countries for most of my life. If I wasn't living in Denmark, I would be living in the Philippines. As I kid, I always referred to both countries as "foreign". :D

So what do the locals call when you stay with your mum's side of the family

missaira
06-09-2010, 12:39 PM
i've never left australia but am contemplating working/living in canada at one of the snowfields over their coming winter :) my best guy mate and i are planning it. i really want a white christmas/birthday!

theundeadhero
06-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I've lived in several foreign countries because of work but am currently back in America.

Inferno
06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
i've never left australia but am contemplating working/living in canada at one of the snowfields over their coming winter :) my best guy mate and i are planning it. i really want a white christmas/birthday!

Just don't go to Ontario, bars close at 1am. Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta... just freaking boring. B.C. is a very nice place ! And of course, you'll find awesome people in Quebec :jess:

Breine
06-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't mind living and working in a foreign country at one point. I'd love to live somewhere in Asia, actually. Perhaps India, China or Japan.

Rye
06-10-2010, 12:20 AM
I lived in England for 6 months for two semesters of study abroad! I wouldn't live there though, again.

If I would live somewhere international, I'd probably live in Belfast for a few years. I loved N. Ireland. Also from what I hear Japan seems pretty great, though hella expensive.

I think I could do the Tuscan region in Italy as well, though Italy is a little too laid back for my tastes, what with the afternoon siestas and all. The biggest appeal of Japan, to me, is that it's similar to New York in that there is always places open until really late at night/all night long, though their trains don't run all night which is weird.

Chris
06-10-2010, 12:23 AM
They call it "adjusting". :D

Zeldy
06-10-2010, 12:38 AM
I'd like to live in Australia, as I'm lazy and this way I don't need to learn a new language. HUZZAH.

rubah
06-10-2010, 01:12 AM
I lived in France for a month, and liked it.

I'm living in Atlanta for the summer, and it feels like a foreign country in some ways...

o_O
06-10-2010, 06:15 AM
I grew up in NZ and moved to Australia last year. I don't think it really counts as a foreign country though.

Moving around definitely builds character in a way nothing else does. :p

Imperfectionist
06-10-2010, 06:19 AM
If I get into uni I get to live in a French-speaking country for the best part of a year. Awesome :D

I've only ever lived in Engerland so far though.

Shlup
06-10-2010, 06:20 AM
I would love to live in Japan for at year or so, but my husband won't go for it. I've never lived outside of California and I probably never will, which is mostly cool with me.

Agent Proto
06-10-2010, 06:28 AM
When I was younger, I have lived at a foreign country for the first ten years of my life since my dad was in the air force at the time. Then he retired and that's when we settled in the U.S. :P Though, now I don't think I'd be able to live in a foreign country, but if I could, I'd like to live in Canada, or Asia. It would be fun.

Rodarian
06-10-2010, 07:04 AM
...but if I could, I'd like to live in Canada, or Asia. It would be fun.

Canada is NOT foreign :colbert:

Miriel
06-10-2010, 08:40 AM
I think I could do the Tuscan region in Italy as well, though Italy is a little too laid back for my tastes, what with the afternoon siestas and all. The biggest appeal of Japan, to me, is that it's similar to New York in that there is always places open until really late at night/all night long, though their trains don't run all night which is weird.

Oh man, I love afternoon siestas! Spain actually had the perfect lifestyle for me. Nobody got up before 9AM. A lot of stores didn't seem to open til 10. And right around 3-4PM everything just shuts down and people take naps. xD And then dinner is around 9PM and people stay up til 2 in the morning. It's pretty much the same schedule I'm on now. When I went to Spain I was amazed at how perfectly the Spanish schedule fit with my existing one.

I'd like to live in France for a few months. Maybe my expectations are a little high, but 2 women (Julia Child & Alice Waters) who I admire a ton both went to France, and both had life changing experiences. I want the same thing.

Agent Proto
06-10-2010, 11:27 AM
...but if I could, I'd like to live in Canada, or Asia. It would be fun.

Canada is NOT foreign :colbert:

Of course it is. It's foreign to me if you have to bring a visa with you.

Jings
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I lived in Virginia for six months, and it was amazing. Although I hate to admit it they just seemed to have a much better way of life out there than we do in the UK. To me anyway.

~*~Celes~*~
06-10-2010, 08:02 PM
I wanna live somewhere pretty, not too expensive, and where I can enjoy my life to the fullest! And not feel like I have to work just to live.

BarelySeeAtAll
06-10-2010, 08:23 PM
I guess I still am living in a foreign country - was born in Cyprus, moved to wales and germany then england. THough, british parents so I guess that means. . .

...what does it mean? :confused:

Shlup
06-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Oh man, I love afternoon siestas! Spain actually had the perfect lifestyle for me. Nobody got up before 9AM. A lot of stores didn't seem to open til 10. And right around 3-4PM everything just shuts down and people take naps. xD And then dinner is around 9PM and people stay up til 2 in the morning. It's pretty much the same schedule I'm on now. When I went to Spain I was amazed at how perfectly the Spanish schedule fit with my existing one.

Say what?! :squee:

Aerith's Knight
06-10-2010, 11:53 PM
I've lived in the USA for a while on work. It was great, and I wanted to go back, but they didn't have the funding to give me a full scholarship, so I refused.

Imperfectionist
06-10-2010, 11:57 PM
I guess I still am living in a foreign country - was born in Cyprus

Hey, my dad's family are from Cyprus! :D I have a lot of family out there and a house. It's lovely to visit but I doubt i'd live there though.

BarelySeeAtAll
06-11-2010, 01:14 AM
I guess I still am living in a foreign country - was born in Cyprus

Hey, my dad's family are from Cyprus! :D I have a lot of family out there and a house. It's lovely to visit but I doubt i'd live there though.

:D my dad was in the forces, but I was only like, 15 months old when I left :( need to go there on holiday someday.

Meat Puppet
06-11-2010, 01:47 AM
I’m in the same boat as o_O.

gameorgamer
06-11-2010, 03:18 AM
I'd like to live in Australia, as I'm lazy and this way I don't need to learn a new language. HUZZAH.
australia is favorible palce to live