PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 5: Peace Walker

Bolivar
06-09-2010, 08:10 PM
IS OUT!!! (retail & PSN)

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/107/1071606/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-planned-as-mgs5-20100224005438714-000.jpg

Just passed the first mission. I have to say, I've all but given up on free camera 3rd person action games on the PSP, and was especially worried about how this game would turn out, but this has actually been working pretty well so far. The production values, cinematic direction are there, and I'm also very impressed with the comic-style cut-scenes (never played Portable Ops).

Anyone else getting this? I think CO-OPS is ad-hoc, but the Versus may be over internet.

JKTrix
06-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Just wanted to point out, before anyone not in on the 'joke' gets confused, that this is not called MGS5 anymore.

They did what they could for the camera controls. Not optimal, but as best as they could get using the system's layout. I considered using the 'Hunter' style since I'm quite used to that from the Monster Hunter games, but that didn't turn out so well when I needed to shoot stuff.

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Getting this game is on hold sadly. I have other financial issues that are a bit more pressing at the moment and not to mention I don't need another game to add to my giant pile of games I need to play right now.

Bolivar
06-16-2010, 03:20 PM
I beat it.

Still feel the controls were as close to great as you can get on the PSP. I played "Shooter Type" and it worked out fine. The only aspect that really suffered was aiming but that only occured a number of times. At other times, I was easily and quickly popping off helmets and then landing headshots, which I'm very, very surprised about for a PSP game. The action sequences handled themselves well. Hell, I kind of want to play a couple again.

But the most important part is the story, and this is the true sequel to MGS3: Snake Eater. The use of motion comics instead of cutscenes is not as epic as in-engine cutscenes, but they didn't take away from a great Metal Gear story. There's several big things that fans of MGS3 especially need to partake in, and the way it was presented was great. The only complaint I could have is abstract, that MGS3 was supposed to be the game that explains why Big Boss turned out the way he did, and the more time that passes, the more clear to me it becomes that that game really answered that question, and a couple others of the series as well. Every sequel they make with Naked Snake diminishes that. But, it was a great story, definitely Kojima, it touches on many themes and came out well.

So there's also literally an endless amount of stuff to do. It's like getting a full Metal Gear game with a full game of bonus missions. This is also factored into different goals you strive for, some of which are kinda spoilers that I don't want to get into, but basically the missions are numerous, varied, and serve multiple, separate goals you have for the Militaires Sans Frontieres (the pre-cursor to the original Outer Heaven PMC) and the Mother Base.

It's easily the best PSP game, and like a reviewer said - you forget you're playing a handheld game. The sound, graphics, gameplay, story, music, pretty much everything are top notch. If you're a fan of Metal Gear or Kojima, you need to play this.

JKTrix
06-16-2010, 05:07 PM
I find using the Fulton recovery system utterly delightful every time I do it. It's definitely a game that will rank among the best on the console, especially if you exclude JP-only games.

Because I love my Robot games, and *those* are the best PSP games.

Bolivar
06-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Wow, so the story doesn't end after the credits roll. I took on a few side missions last night and unlocked a new story mission. Next thing i know, the chapter screen comes up and i've started a new chapter.

This game's content package is incredible.

Alucard von Elru
06-21-2010, 04:45 AM
:D ... That's how this game makes me feel every time I've had a chance to play it. I haven't had much time yet, but I'm loving everything about it so far.

It's shocking that this is a portable title. In spite of the visual and control limitations of the console, the game is unquestionably "post" MGS4 in terms of fidelity. It makes few sacrifices, and when it does it gives you something new to make up for it. For example: the complexity of CQC is really down from MGS3 and 4. You can't move while holding an enemy, for example. Irrelevant. Thanks to the game's AWESOME new chain-throw system and streamlined controls, I find that it is by far the most practical and enjoyable implementation of CQC in the whole series!

At first when I read about aiming and camera control being mapped to the face buttons, I thought it sounded awful. But so far I'm having no trouble with it.

Also, yeah, HOLY STUFF TO DO BATMAN! A Metal Gear title with tons of things to level up? Pinch me, I'm dreaming!

Lastly, I feel it worth mentioning that I think, at least thus far, that this is the best pure stealth title in the series. Even though MGS4's mechanics are bliss, I think the Drebin system and the level design really encourage a shooter mentality and, taken that way, I feel that MGS4 is the best and most flexible shooter I've ever played. Peace Walker is not a shooter, however. So far I have yet to kill a single soldier, and I'd like for that to continue. So many things about the game, such as the Fulton Recovery system, the streamlined CQC, the level design itself, are designed to encourage the player to play it as stealthily as possible. And because of the near MGS4-level of fidelity of the controls, I find it infinitely more fun (and less exhausting) to sneak through than MGS1, 2, or 3.

So yeah, I'm freaking floored. :love: