PDA

View Full Version : Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Rase
06-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Looks like an amazingly good time. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDq9LD7ww8&feature=player_embedded)

Discuss.

NorthernChaosGod
06-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Yes, it looks pretty cool. But I still hate Michael Cera. Every movie is "Michael Cera awkwardly wins the girl of his dreams". :mad2:

McLovin'
06-10-2010, 05:03 AM
But it's funny each time!

qwertysaur
06-10-2010, 05:05 AM
The fourth evil ex was the biggest surprise reading through the books, but also a very awesome surprise. :p

charliepanayi
06-10-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm still not sure it will work as a live action film (and getting through all seven exes in less than two hours, it could feel rushed), but the trailer looks great and I like Edgar Wright a lot. And I love Scott Pilgrim so much I'll see it anyway.

Also Cera haters be damned, his main problem is starring in crap films (Juno apart - yes I liked it) rather than any acting deficiency on his part. Hopefully the better material here will pay off.

NorthernChaosGod
06-10-2010, 03:21 PM
But it's funny each time!

It was only funny the first time. :colbert:

He needs to pick up different fucking roles.

Araciel
06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I doubt that he's capable.

NorthernChaosGod
06-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Well, not anymore at least.

Moon Rabbits
06-12-2010, 12:14 AM
rather than any acting deficiency on his part.

I always thought the mark of a good actor was the ability to play more than one character over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

rubah
08-14-2010, 05:53 AM
I just saw this. It was incredible. I have the same 'I want to live in this world' feeling that I had after e.g. Spider-man and Avatar.

Ouch!
08-14-2010, 06:09 AM
I saw the midnight release. Fucking awesome movie.

Mo-Nercy
08-14-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm really excited about this movie, but my girlfriend can't see past the Michael Cera-ness of it.

blackmage_nuke
08-14-2010, 08:18 AM
It was good, I saw it with a bunch of people who were fans of the books and they liked it too. Mixed opinions about Micheal Cera though.
Its everything the hipster and indie crowd want it to be.

Rase
08-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Saw it, thoroughly enjoyed it. Full of the fourth wall-breaking pop culture stuff I wanted.

Clo
08-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I want to see this for the concept, but I seriously do hate Michael Cera.

Araciel
08-14-2010, 03:10 PM
It was good.

I found myself feeling it dragging at times though.

Mirage
08-14-2010, 05:10 PM
So what's that song at the end called again?

Depression Moon
08-14-2010, 06:02 PM
It was good.

I found myself feeling it dragging at times though.

game or movie?

Crop
08-15-2010, 01:19 AM
fourth wall-breaking

Guess I can't see it then. I dislike any breaking of the fourth wall, period.

Rase
08-15-2010, 02:29 AM
fourth wall-breaking

Guess I can't see it then. I dislike any breaking of the fourth wall, period.
That may be a little inaccurate, I suppose. No one is every speaking to the audience or anything (that I recall). I was referring to things like a "Pee Meter" and grabbing a floating extra life while saying "I'm getting a life", and so on.

rubah
08-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Yes, crop you can see it. You are never addressed by the characters. It's just a mash-up of media, film and video games.

Winter Nights
08-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Awesome flick. I enjoyed it. :D

Pheesh
08-24-2010, 06:10 AM
So this went to 10th in the box office this weekend, while 'The Expendables' stayed in 1st, and 'Vampires Suck' was 5th.

People are absolutely retarded.

charliepanayi
08-24-2010, 09:12 AM
So this went to 10th in the box office this weekend, while 'The Expendables' stayed in 1st, and 'Vampires Suck' was 5th.

Tell us something we don't know. I don't know why people are surprised though, the film was always going to have very niche appeal.

I can't wait to see it, it's out here tomorrow!

Pheesh
08-24-2010, 09:23 AM

Tell us something we don't know. I don't know why people are surprised though, the film was always going to have very niche appeal.

I can't wait to see it, it's out here tomorrow!

I guess so, but it's just an amazingly well done film. I thought that that, coupled with word of mouth, may have transcended the fact that it's not a 'shoot first, ask questions later, take some steroids and bag the woman' film. *sigh*

Old Manus
08-24-2010, 02:27 PM
I think it's more that at first glance, the film and its premise is retarded.

Pheesh
08-24-2010, 02:33 PM
I think it's more that at first glance, the film and its premise is retarded.

I don't think you're supposed to go in there expecting a realistic plot, and I don't see how the premise of a movie would ever detract from how well the film is made. It's no more retarded than a millionaire dressing up as a bat and fighting guys who dress up as clowns, but the Dark Knight was still awesome.

Inferno
08-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Am I the only one thinking this movie looks terrible ?

Shorty
08-24-2010, 03:22 PM
I had no idea so many people hated Michael Cera! I absolutely love him. Ramona looks adorable. Jason Schwartzman is in this movie, who has my heart.

I think it looks badass and I'd really like to see it. ALSO. Mae Whitman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926165/), also known as Ann Veal from Arrested Development is in it. I love it when they gather AD stars for movies.

charliepanayi
08-24-2010, 03:24 PM

No (of course you're not the only one, there's someone two posts above yours for one!), but you're all wrong hopefully. And of course the plotline is ridiculous, that's one of the reasons why I love Scott Pilgrim. It's both grounded in some degree of reality and brilliantly barmy at the same time. With regards to the film, Edgar Wright knows how to do ridiculous as well, as anyone who saw Spaced/Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz will testify (not saying they're similar to Scott Pilgrim, or that if you like them you'll like Scott Pilgrim, but they're all outlandish in their own way).

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Michael Cera playing a shy and scrawny teenager with little to no success with the girls, yet getting the girls through a mixture of witty quips and accidental pseudo-heroism?

Good to see Hollywood stretching his acting skills!

charliepanayi
08-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Actually in the comic Scott Pilgrim does OK with women, despite his cluelessness. And he he's not shy. And he never makes witty quips, and there's nothing accidental about his heroism, he fights people!

Depression Moon
08-24-2010, 11:06 PM
I played the demo and I liked it, will have to buy eventually. Disappointing that I can't play with you guys.

Rantz
08-25-2010, 12:44 PM
ALSO. Mae Whitman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926165/), also known as Ann Veal from Arrested Development is in it.

Who?

rubah
08-25-2010, 01:52 PM
>;[

Rebellious Eagle
08-25-2010, 02:01 PM
I think I'm gonna go see this with my friend this weekend. It looks really good, even though Michael Cera really has never impressed me. :/

charliepanayi
08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
ALSO. Mae Whitman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926165/), also known as Ann Veal from Arrested Development is in it.

Who?

No, you're supposed to say 'Her?' :D

Marshall Banana
08-25-2010, 04:28 PM

The Expendables is MIGHTY AWESOME! It deserves to be #1 forever!

No. When I saw the trailer I thought the film should be called "Video Game Movie." I hear it's actually good, but I'll never overcome my prejudice now -- the trailer is possibly the worst thing in the world!

Clo
08-25-2010, 05:50 PM
I hate Michael Cera, but I fucking loved this movie. All the videogame references cracked me up, and even though that dope Cera was the star, all of the other actors compensated for it big time. Wallace was especially hilarious, and all of the deadly exes amused me. And I love Schwartzman!!

This movie amuse the hell out of me. I loved it. I would see it again!

Pheesh
08-25-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm with Shorty on the whole 'Michael Cera hate' thing, I had no idea people disliked him so much. I thought he was awesome in Juno, and he was awesome in superbad. Apart from those two movies I don't think I can remember seeing him in much else. In this he wasn't even tasked with playing a particularly funny character, but the character was still enjoyable, and like clo said; the rest of the characters and the movie's pop-culture references delivered the bulk of the humour.

McLovin'
08-26-2010, 02:38 AM
The scenes in this movie went like boom boom boom and t was trippy! But good trippy. I liked it. I'll see it again in theatres this time.

THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME

rubah
08-26-2010, 03:35 AM
No. When I saw the trailer I thought the film should be called "Video Game Movie." I hear it's actually good, but I'll never overcome my prejudice now -- the trailer is possibly the worst thing in the world!

It never pretended to not be a video game movie, monda!

Pheesh
08-26-2010, 03:55 AM

In fact, a very large group of people have been screaming for a movie that did video games justice (and with predecessors like the Street-Fighter movies, Doom and Mortal Kombat movies it's not hard to see why). This does video games justice in not only a visual aspect, but it provides fan service with numerous pop-culture references. This movie makes the tag 'Video-Game Movie' a good thing.

Marshall Banana
08-26-2010, 11:22 AM

In fact, a very large group of people have been screaming for a movie that did video games justice (and with predecessors like the Street-Fighter movies, Doom and Mortal Kombat movies it's not hard to see why). This does video games justice in not only a visual aspect, but it provides fan service with numerous pop-culture references. This movie makes the tag 'Video-Game Movie' a good thing.
You misunderstand.

Scary Movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scary_movie)
Date Movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_Movie)
Epic Movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Movie)

By the way, I LOVE Mortal Kombat!

Pheesh
08-26-2010, 11:47 AM

You misunderstand.

Scary Movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scary_movie)
Date Movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_Movie)
Epic Movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Movie)

Oh, you couldn't be more wrong. It's akin to blasphemy comparing this movie to those 'movies'.

By the way, I LOVE Mortal Kombat!

Me too, but I love it on the basis of it being a fan service, and the fact that it has an awesome theme song. As a movie it's absolute rubbish; Scott Pilgrim, on the other hand, is a well executed, technically sound and original movie.

DMKA
08-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Holy cow, critics and film directors are raving about this movie!

Budget: $90 Million
Gross: $22 Million

Holy cow, Universal Pictures is losing tens of millions on this movie!

I want to see it now!

Pheesh
08-26-2010, 06:17 PM
I thought I heard the budget was closer to 70mil, but I'm not 100%. Either way; yes, the movie will be considered a major flop.

Depression Moon
08-26-2010, 07:28 PM

I want to see it now!

Dang where've you been?

DMKA
08-26-2010, 07:51 PM

I want to see it now!

Dang where've you been?

Not watching television or listening to the radio or going to the movies in the last couple months, I guess!

Plus the moment I see Michael Cera, Seth Rogan or Jonah Hill I immediately tune whatever it is I'm seeing out, typically, so that couldn't have helped.

Depression Moon
08-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Good to see you back on the forums.

DMKA
08-27-2010, 04:03 AM
Good to see you back on the forums.
Oh, thanks! :heart: I thought when you asked where I'd been you were suggesting I was slow to notice this movie. xD

Dreddz
08-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I didn't think I'd like this movie but fortunately I was pleasantly surprised. As a comedy its just ok but as a martial arts action flick its kind of brilliant. One of the fights even had cues from The Warriors soundtrack and THAT was badass.

Not sure if somebody has said this already but I reckon this is how a Street Fighter movie should play out. None of this Legend of Chun Li garbage. If only video game movies could accept they are video game movies and target the right crowd then everyone can be happier.

charliepanayi
08-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I saw it today. It's a lot of style and not too much depth. The runtime being the big constraint, you just can't fit all six books into one film really, so it has to skim over the surface somewhat, which is the one major flaw of the film. Luckily, the style is absolutely fantastic, I don't think I've seen a film quite like it, they really nailed the feel of the comic and the way it's done. The fights are excellent of course, as is the soundtrack. The cast do very well (especially Kieran Culkin as Wallace) with the all-too-little screentime most of them are given. Michael Cera is the weakest link (as much as I disagree with the amount of internet hate he gets), but he grows into the role as the film goes one, and he is great in the fight scenes (oddly, considering Cera is the archetypal 120lb weakling). So not a perfect film but very enjoyable, and the Universal logo at the start was almost worth the admission fee alone (well it made me laugh!)

Plus Ellen Wong and Anna Kendrick :)

Pyramid Head
08-28-2010, 01:06 AM
I have yet to see the movie, but I thoroughly enjoyed what I've read of the graphic novel.
I probably won't take it too seriously, and enjoy it as much as I can. :/

Depression Moon
08-29-2010, 07:22 PM
I thought I heard the budget was closer to 70mil, but I'm not 100%. Either way; yes, the movie will be considered a major flop.

5 Reasons Why Scott Pilgrim Flopped (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/dw/skitches/27623-dw-5reasonswhyscottpilgrimflopped)

Some reasons that are most likely true about it flopping. I don't necessarily agree with number 1, but I think all the others are on point.

Pheesh
08-30-2010, 01:46 AM
Yeah, all those points are really on song. I think number 1 is exactly the point I made earlier when I mentioned that Expendables (still number 1) and Vampires Suck (now jumped to number...smurfing....TWO!!!) were doing so much better than this movie. I've never had the best view of society as a whole; so when you have one film that has good critical reviews and another film that has BAD critical reviews, and then people as a collective choose the bad one, what else is there to call it except for stupid? Maybe you could chalk it down to conformity, but either way I don't think it makes sense.

I liked his points on Michael Cera as well.

McLovin'
08-30-2010, 03:29 AM
Mainstream conformists made this movie flop. We must make them BEGONE.

Shlup
08-30-2010, 04:28 AM
Wait, it's actually considered a flop?? I know it only appeals to a certain demographic, but it's so good. :ohnoes:

Clo
08-30-2010, 04:37 AM
I went and found the books at a library. I had to read the comic after seeing the movie. :greenie:

Shlup
08-30-2010, 04:38 AM
You went... to the library? And got comic books?

THAT'S AMAZING.

I'm downloading them. xP

Pheesh
08-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Wait, it's actually considered a flop?? I know it only appeals to a certain demographic, but it's so good. :ohnoes:

Like DMKA said, it's around 50million below reaching budget (maybe 70, cant seem to find the proper numbers); so yes, it flopped hard.

Hythloday
08-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Yeah, it was considered a flop, but seriously I guarantee it will do good on DVD. Bear in mind, Donnie Dark was a flop in theaters as well.

charliepanayi
08-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah, it was considered a flop, but seriously I guarantee it will do good on DVD. Bear in mind, Donnie Dark was a flop in theaters as well.

Yeah, films like Donnie Darko, Serenity and Fight Club did very poorly at the box office but found a cult life on DVD, I imagine Scott Pilgrim has a good chance of doing the same with the (very) niche appeal it has.

G13
08-30-2010, 11:16 AM

It will probably still make it to Cult Classic status. :monster:

Pheesh
08-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Agreed. I'll be buying it the moment it comes out for Blu-Ray. :monster:

Clo
08-30-2010, 01:48 PM
You went... to the library? And got comic books?

THAT'S AMAZING.

I'm downloading them. xP

I still cruise libraries. I'm a fuddy duddy like that. Most libraries have graphic novels! And movies.

Meat Puppet
09-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Neat movie. I might get the soundtrack for the beck songs. Michael Cera was kind of like the ghost of a flagellating, Loser-era beck.

NorthernChaosGod
09-08-2010, 04:30 PM
I finally watched this last night. It was fucking amazing, definitely one of the better movies I've seen in a long time.

Depression Moon
10-24-2010, 03:19 AM
I beat this game earlier today with my little brother. It was hell and I thought it was worth it, because I expected that beating the game would unlock either a new character or a technique, but when we checked their were no new characters and Tech Attack 2 was still locked. The game was really fun, but a bit grind heavy. Love the retro influences of Zelda, the X-men arcade game, Mario, Double Dragon, and I think Zombies Ate My Neighbors? Game had a few good songs as well.

That last stage is a trip, wish I could've played it with more people.

Roto13
10-26-2010, 04:13 AM
This movie is awesome, as are the comics it's based on. Love Scott Pilgrim. Kind of sad they didn't do the Ramona vs. Envy fight. Or the Honest Ed's scene. But I guess then half the movie would focus on the third book. :P

Joking?

YouTube - Scott Pilgrim vs The World Soundtrack 07- We Hate You, Please Die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4QS7n3Zgec)

charliepanayi
10-26-2010, 09:37 AM
DVD is out in the UK just after Christmas, can't wait to get it :)

Mirage
10-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Just watched this today and it was awesome.

As for the movie flopping, i don't know. It's only cashed in a few dozen millions "by now", but there's still a lot of potential future earnings. So who knows?!

Btw i still wonder which song it is at the end of the trailer.

-edit-

Some other source (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=scottpilgrim.htm) claims the movie has made about 45 millions world wide, with a budget of 60 millions, and it's only been like two months since it was released anyway. It's not the most profitable movie in the world, of course, but I'm sure it'll break more than even in not too long.

Depression Moon
11-01-2010, 01:18 AM
Can anyone name all the game references in this? I noticed Super Mario Bros. 2 for the character select screen. Super Mario Bros. for the blocks in the Subspace Highway, Double Dragon at the ninja stage, X-men Arcade at the last stage of the game, Super Mario Bros 3 and World for the world map. RPGs with the stats.

Mirage
11-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Super mario pipes on the world map

Rantz
11-01-2010, 08:25 AM
This was fantastic. Loved it.

Depression Moon
11-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Ack can't believe I forgot about the Street Fighter references with Scott's R1 special and the KO screen when you defeat bosses. Stills also has Dudley's jumping medium punch and it also seems like Dudley's throw.

Rase
11-01-2010, 04:37 PM
River City Ransom with the enemies dropping of coins and spending said coins on books/food/stuff for stat boosts and refills. And for being annoyingly hard.

Roto13
11-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Buy a Bionic Arm from Wallace's Secret Shop in Level 1 > win the game.

Pheesh
11-02-2010, 09:57 AM
I watched this again...twice.

Never changing my sig theme...EVER!

McLovin'
11-03-2010, 05:20 AM
Heard the game is pretty good. Might buy it to honor the movie!

Mo-Nercy
11-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Finally watched it. Absolutely loved it. <3

Also considering getting the game.

Jowy
11-05-2010, 04:38 AM
can't wait until this comes out on DVD. i've already prepared my girlfriend for how amazing it is to hear the Link to the Past startup sound within the first five minutes.

Rodarian
11-05-2010, 08:58 AM
I loved the movie! I watched it twice... Oh to see my Hometown like that....Just too awesome!!

Even my parents loved it cause they were use to see me play the nintendo consoles over the time (b4 my switch to PS systems)

Life would be awesome if I were in Scott's World!

Heath
11-17-2010, 12:25 AM
I saw this at my university's student cinema the other day. I really enjoyed it. I felt going in to it that it was the sort of film I might be able to take or leave as the concept of the film sounded good, but it could have potentially not been my cup of tea. Felt it was very good. Seems to have been very popular with a certain demographic (student cinema was full to capacity and turned away quite a large number of people), but not generally, which is a shame. Still, I liked it quite a lot and I think it's a further demonstration of how good a director Edgar Wright is.

Depression Moon
03-23-2011, 10:07 PM
I oughta slap some of y'all for not telling me how good this movie is. Just watched it on Redbox a couple of days back. Man I thought it might have been funny, but man really? Like this? I know a lot of gamers had to see this and if they haven't they're going to!

NorthernChaosGod
03-24-2011, 04:09 AM
I oughta slap some of y'all for not telling me how good this movie is. Just watched it on Redbox a couple of days back. Man I thought it might have been funny, but man really? Like this? I know a lot of gamers had to see this and if they haven't they're going to!

Well now I have to change my set back.

Depression Moon
03-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Through the beginning of the movie I was waiting for someone to say "Don't call me for bail money" to Scott. Surprised that no one made a joke like that.
Edit:http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101124140738/scottpilgrim/images/5/51/Knives_striker_stephen-1-.gif

Mercen-X
03-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Too obvious.

I'm working up a prequel to this SP since it seems like the original author has lost interest in it. It revolves around Ramona and the years that made her and everyone around her apparently psychotic. Naturally, all of the explanations are majorly stupid teenaged angst excuses and the movie is about nothing more than action, but I'm doing what I can.

cloud_doll
03-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Yeah I really liked this movie. I didn't get all of the references, but the majority of them I did. I really loved Brie Larson's cover of Black Sheep by metric. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMruFHTwrY) Actually, now I really wanna see it again. Oh snap I didn't even realize it was out on DVD!