PDA

View Full Version : Favorite RPG series that is NOT Final Fantasy

Crossblades
06-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Ya know, I always wondered what is everyone's preferred series after FF. So I made this poll just to see what is the 2nd most popular series in this forum. As for my fave RPG series after FF, it would be the "Tales of..." series. Their storylines are predictable, yes, but they are so much to play due to the battle system.

Brennan
06-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I voted for Zelda because I loved the games since I was 3, for Chrono Trigger/Cross because they were very fun games, and I loved Paper Mario for the N64.

NorthernChaosGod
06-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Chrono series because Chrono Trigger is easily one of my favorite games ever.

Zelda because I've loved those games since I was like 4-5.

Slothy
06-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I might have said Chrono if I had liked Cross more. Instead I have to go with Persona.

JKTrix
06-11-2010, 07:23 PM
+1 for the Megami Tensei series. That is a huge omission from that list.

2nd vote goes to the Dept. Heaven series, which gets bonus points for being relatively new and having a number of games in it already.

Evastio
06-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Out of the ones you listed: Breath of Fire, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, Harvest Moon, and Mario RPGs.

I'm wanting to list RPG series that you've forgotten, but you've pretty much covered them all. Unless Pokemon counts.

The Man
06-11-2010, 07:45 PM
In no particular order, Suikoden, Dragon Quest, Chrono, and Zelda. Although I'm not really sure Zelda counts as an RPG series.

Bunny
06-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Suikoden is my favorite series ever. The second installment is my favorite game of all-time.

Other notable favorites are Breath of Fire and Wild ARMs.

Inferno
06-11-2010, 08:49 PM
This exactly :

Chrono series because Chrono Trigger is easily one of my favorite games ever.

Zelda because I've loved those games since I was like 4-5.

Jessweeee♪
06-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I like the Persona series, as you can see in my signature. I think I ought to give some other SMT games a try someday.

Vermachtnis
06-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Another vote for MegaTen. Especially Digital Devil Saga, the second one is my all time favorite game. Persona, Devil Summoner, and the main series are all great too.

Agent Proto
06-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Tales of series need more love. :( Some of my favorite games are from that series like Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss. I'm in the same boat as The Man about the Legend of Zelda that it shouldn't be listed as a true RPG, like most of the other series you named are... well the same could be said of the Harvest Moon series too.

NeoCracker
06-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Harvest moon and Zelda, definately not RPG's as has been said.

Though you could classify the Rune Factory spinoff as a Simulater/Action RPG I guess. :p

Xenosaga takes it since I enjoyed all three games, even II which was kind of the dud of them, and III is arguably my favorite RPG.

The persona Series can't take it for me simply because of how much I disliked 1, though 3 and 4 are a couple of games that could also contend for my favorite.

Chrono Trigger is amazing, though cross is simply decent, it's a bit to bogged down by it's problems to make up for what is great about it.

And instead of Ogre Battle, you should probably say Tactics Ogre, as thats the actual series, Ogre Battle being the spin-off if I remember correctly. And Ogre Batte: March of the Black Queen kicks all kinds of ass.

And Wild Arms has yet to give me a bad game, (I haven't played 1 though, and I know 3 was technically bad, but I still enjoyed it, so meh. :p) but at the same time, even though the other instalments were excelent, especially 2, they couldn't keep up with the shear awesome of any other series I loved best title.

Suikojowy
06-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I like most of those choices but if I had to pick one it'd easily be Suikoden. Unfortunately Konami doesn't care too much on the main series anymore and said they're going to focus more on the Tierkreis line so that's a real shame.

Zeromus_X
06-11-2010, 11:12 PM
From this list, DQ, Golden Sun, Star Ocean, and Tales. The Shin Megami Tensei games and all its subseries are also some of my favorites.

Moon Rabbits
06-12-2010, 12:08 AM
it's lunar you morons.

VeloZer0
06-12-2010, 02:39 AM
Wow, the other than Chrono Trigger/Cross (which I absolutely love) the I have only been able to get through Suikoden I, Zelda OoT, and Fire Emblem 2. Everything else I have lost interest in half way.

Starting to think I might be a bit too picky.

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2010, 05:43 AM
MegaTen, I've been replaying through Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne and once again being blown away by how radically different it is. The Persona games are all awesome and I'm looking forward to diving into DDS, Devil Summoner, and Devil Survivor. Really, I feel this is one of the best franchises out there.

Out of the choices above... Chrono is pretty good but like many, I'm not in love with Cross. The story is great but the game has too many little issues that get on my nerves and distract me from enjoying the game.

Wild ARMS was a good series but I fell out of love with it after WA3 kinda let me down. I've been meaning to check out WA4 but the change to sci-fi tones kinda irked me a bit cause despite hating the "Wild West", I always enjoyed the visual themes it gave the series and kinda felt like 4 turned back on what made the series special. Still... I blame this series for why I can't enjoy Golden Sun...

Breath of Fire is a pretty damn awesome series and while I have issues with how weird and generic BoF1 is and god knows BoF2 has some game play mechanics and story issues (why in gods name can't I have Rand in my party!? Why must the game keep forcing me to use stupid Sten who I can't stand!?) I love the Playstation entries and I tend to look at them as guidelines on how you should do game mechanics and storytelling.

Suikoden is just full of win. The numbered entries are all pretty golden even if Suikoden 4 is a bit less shiny. Suikoden Tactics is a pretty fun FFT/Tactics Ogre rip-off but what in gods name is wrong with that? Tiekries is like WA4 in that I feel it strays far from the series roots and drops many of the elements that made the series special. (I get you guys kept the whole 108 stars thing but what about the deep seated politics and True Runes?! Smurf You). This is probably my favorite series of the ones listed.

Xenosaga is also a great series despite the fact it suffered countless production issues and lot of bad decisions. In fact, if you don't live in Japan or import you never got most of the story since Pied Pier was never released here, nor Xenosaga 1*2 for the DS (which rewrote the story a bit mostly Episode 2 and is the actual canon version) not to mention all the online stories that lead into Episode III. The series is like dot.Hack gone horribly wrong in terms of marketing the series through other mediums. Still, the plot is great if a bit preachy and convulated and combat is really solid in Episode I and III at least.

vinnie's mini's
06-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Mine would have to be:

Zelda,
Mario,
Tales of,
Star ocean,
Golden sun.

Probably some others that aren't listed too. :bigsmile:

Christmas
06-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Harvest Moon!!! But it is a pity that the female version only come in japanese!!! :(

Madame Adequate
06-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I voted for Breath of Fire, Star Ocean, and Suikoden. I also give credit to Chrono, because I think both are superb games, but I've never got 'into' them like I have with a lot of others.

I'm with Wolf Kanno's opinions on BoF and Suikoden, though I've not yet played Tactics or Tierkries. I also think that despite having the worst voice acting this side of Resident Evil, Star Ocean is a wonderful and charming series. I think 2 is the best, it really hit that sweet spot for me in so many ways.

Raistlin
06-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Suikoden is far and away the best RPG series.

Honorable mention: Lunar series. Lunar SSSC is one of my favorite RPGs. Lunar 2 isn't as good, but the first one is good enough to make the series notable.

Laddy
06-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Megami Tensei~~~~

And Zelda is Adventure, not RPG.

Dreddz
06-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Phantasy Star gets my vote which, from looking at this thread, is quite the underrated series indeed. PSII and PSIV rival anything the FF series has done. People that thought Aeris dying in FFVII was a big deal clearly never played PSII.

The Dark Cloud series is also a notable mention. I noticed both Phantasy Star and Dark Cloud weren't included in that poll. Quite the error you made there Crossblades.

Chloe.
06-12-2010, 08:55 PM
I would say Zelda but I didn't really think that was an RPG. I love the Star Ocean Series and definitely Dark Cloud as mentioned above, and one that hasn't been said is Secret of Mana. I love that game :jess:

The Man
06-12-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't know how I forgot the Mana series. The two games I've played (Secret of Mana and Holy Sword Legend 3, which was never released in the U.S. and is only available as a fan translated rom) are superb. I even used to use a rabite as my avatar here.

vinnie's mini's
06-13-2010, 12:54 PM
I would say Zelda but I didn't really think that was an RPG. I love the Star Ocean Series and definitely Dark Cloud as mentioned above, and one that hasn't been said is Secret of Mana. I love that game :jess:

Dah! How could I forget Dark Cloud and Secret of Mana? :eek: I love both of those so very much! :jess:

Christmas
06-13-2010, 12:58 PM

Dah! How could I forget Dark Cloud and Secret of Mana? :eek: I love both of those so very much! :jess:

Yeah!! Secret of Mana!!! I also like Legend of Mana too!!! :bigsmile:

vinnie's mini's
06-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Yeah!! Secret of Mana!!! I also like Legend of Mana too!!! :bigsmile:

:eek: I've never played that one; what's it like? :cool:

Christmas
06-13-2010, 01:12 PM
The gameplay is quite similar to Secret of Mana but you get to execute more special moves compare to Secret of Mana. You can create a world of your own and do tons and tons of mini quests which most of them are pretty fun and cute at least for me! :bigsmile:

The characters found in the world are very adorable! I really will recommend the game, It is avaliable in the playstation! :bigsmile:

vinnie's mini's
06-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Oooh :eek: That does sound pretty awesome!

Laddy
06-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Dark Cloud, Mana, Phantasy Star, Mother, Wild ARMs, anyone?

Vyk
06-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Dragon Force, Shining Force, Dept. Heaven

Stupid poll not having my games on the list

From that list, the only games I've played/completed are Golden Sun. Though there's admittedly a lot I haven't even touched yet (Suikoden and 90% of the Tales and Ogre series)

Bolivar
06-14-2010, 04:03 AM
Right now it's Dragon Quest, tbh I might like the older DQ's better than the older 16-bit FF's.

Before that it was Shining Force. I've always really been into Strategy RPG's, so here's hoping Valkyria Chronicles joins this list.

And has anyone mentioned Pokemon? I'm playing Heart Gold right now and really lovin it.

Clo
06-14-2010, 04:52 AM
I can't pick, because I've played only one or two games out of some of these series, or, in the case of Chrono, there are only two and I liked one but didn't like the other.

Chrono stands out though. So does Star Ocean (though never ever for plot).

G13
06-14-2010, 10:29 AM
I love all the RPG's for the PS1, I have quite a collection. Wild Arms is probably my favorite after FF. Parasite Eve comes in after that.

The earlier FF's and Chrono's were epic but Zelda is my favorite for Nintendo. Probably due to the fact that I have all my FF's and Chrono's for PS1.

Jessweeee♪
06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
PSU is the only Phantasy Star game I've played, but from what I hear it's the black sheep of the family. I love it though xD

Depression Moon
06-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Ain't Harvest Moon a simulation game?

JKTrix
06-14-2010, 05:37 PM
PSU is the only Phantasy Star game I've played, but from what I hear it's the black sheep of the family. I love it though xD

I think many 'old' Phantasy Star fans think that everything from PSO onwards would be 'black sheep', but among those I think PSO3 was the 'blackest'. PSU is the runner-up.

Dreddz
06-14-2010, 09:47 PM
I think many 'old' Phantasy Star fans think that everything from PSO onwards would be 'black sheep', but among those I think PSO3 was the 'blackest'. PSU is the runner-up.

As a fan of the old Phantasy Star games I still really enjoyed PSO. I guess that could be influenced by the excitement of playing it online all the way back in 2000. Really do miss those days.

I'd say the 'black sheep' of the franchise is either PSIII or PSU. And even then, I still kinda enjoyed those titles.

Bolivar
06-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Ain't Harvest Moon a simulation game?
I would classify it more along the lines of "Mind-boggling addiction"

For a second I almost read it as "Mind-boggling ACTION" and almost laughed.

A friend of mine once called Harvest Moon an RPG, because you play the role of a farmer. I responded that Duke Nukem was an RPG because you play the role of a badass.

I think HM is one of those games that creates its own genre. Rune Factory is definitely an RPG, though, and a good one.

Loony BoB
06-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Nothing in particular stands out in all honesty, although I will give a thumbs up to Wild Arms and Grandia as possibles.

Bunny
06-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Poor Ogre Battle.

Never even say it's popularity waning.

Clo
06-17-2010, 04:18 AM
Wait, wait... has anyone mentioned Lunar? I forgot about the Lunar series for a moment, but it is definitely my favorite non-FF series. They're funny, and have great characters and storylines.

Raistlin
06-17-2010, 05:01 AM
Wait, wait... has anyone mentioned Lunar? I forgot about the Lunar series for a moment, but it is definitely my favorite non-FF series. They're funny, and have great characters and storylines.

Honorable mention: Lunar series. Lunar SSSC is one of my favorite RPGs. Lunar 2 isn't as good, but the first one is good enough to make the series notable.

Lunar is awesome and is better than FF. SSSC especially has great characters, story, dialogue, and even voice-acting and animation.

Vyk
06-17-2010, 04:21 PM

I was going to, but I haven't played Eternal Blue. I missed my chances when it was available and only just recently acquired it on the download. I didn't wanna mention any RPG series that I only played one game in :[ Like Grandia, Alundra, Wild Arms, or Mana I've only played one game. But they were really good

But I did love L:TSSC

...I miss Working Designs lol :(

Clo
06-18-2010, 03:19 AM
I've heard that Eternal Blue is more disliked, but I personally really loved EB as well. I liked all the characters, and the plot -- I loved the return of Nall. I played something Lunar for Nintendo DS as well.

Jiro
06-18-2010, 04:45 AM
I could very well vote for everything mentioned.

Rocket Edge
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Is it bad to say I've never played any of them? Well Dragon Quest 8, I did. *votes*

Depression Moon
06-18-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't think I have a favorite outside of FF. For RPG series, the only one I've played more than one entry of is KH and I don't consider myself a real fan of it since I've only played 2 games in the series. well I do like Zelda to, but it's funny for me considering as an RPG alongside most of those other games. It combines so many elements of other genres as well and I feel it's RPG elements aren't emphasized enough for me to hold it with the rest.

Shops seem pointless in the games, there is barely any weapon and armor upgrades and even with the ones you get you could do plenty well without them, the only stat progression is in hearts and MP and you probably only increase your MP once or twice in a whole game. Sidequests and talking with townsfolk is plentiful in the series though.

Moon Rabbits
06-19-2010, 05:11 AM

it's lunar you morons.

black orb
06-20-2010, 12:06 AM
>>> Tales, Suikoden, Valkyrie Profile, Chrono, Lunar, Disgaea..:luca: