PDA

View Full Version : Universillege.

Madame Adequate
06-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Time for a thread, methinks.

Have you gone to/are you at/are you going to college/uni? What did/are/will you study? How did you do? Where did you go?

I read International Relations and Politics at DMU for my Bachelors, in which I got a First (Only just, I was sabotaged by communists, and I swear I am not kidding about that, Rye can confirm). Now I'm finishing up a Masters in Strategic Studies at Reading. I aim to do more in the future, once I have the money to do so, but I'm not yet sure what in. My ideal life would just be doing a thousand disparate degrees, everything from astrophysics to cybernetics to Klan Studies :greenie:

Aerith's Knight
06-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Another one? These keep popping up every month.

I have a BSc. in Applied Physics (with honors, I think it's called) at the TU/e.

I'm currently doing a MSc. in Biomedical Engineering (with an extended 6 months due to transition to another field). And at this instant I'm studying for the last transition exam week. I've got exams in:

Advanced Organic Chemistry (pain in my ass, more like)
Image Processing. (annoying algoritms)
Radiation physics. (piece of cake)
Flow & Diffusion (Only the Diffusion part is new)

The Organic Chemistry is taking FOREVER. I want to ritually burn this book.

Breine
06-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I'll hopefully start at uni this September. I will be studying either English or Art for my Bachelor.

Can't wait to get started with the whole studying thing again.

Shin Gouken
06-11-2010, 11:18 PM
I went to uni for two months.... well.... i didn't actually go.... i was bungalowed the whole time :spin:

Raistlin
06-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I have a B.A. in Political Science and History from Gettysburg College. I'm currently at William & Mary pursuing a law degree, and will start my second year in the fall.

Rantz
06-11-2010, 11:34 PM
I have a Bachelor's in Informatics since I graduated last Friday! Woo :D

I read Interaction Design. I did fairly well, got top grades for the majority of my classes! I'm fairly happy with it. Now just to get a job :{

BarelySeeAtAll
06-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Planning to go once I finish my final year of 6th-form, and the idea scares me a lot. Hoping to go study Criminal Investigations but as far as I know only four uni's (at least, that I know of) do the course, mainly with police studies. It combines elements of law and psychology, and I know criminology kind of does the same but that's more about behaviour. In my opinion it's almost like giving them excuses? It's a weird way of thinking about it but the courses for CI sound so interesting!!

Just hoping to get grades and stuff, was thinking about a gap year to get some money but I'm not sure how advisable this is?

Oh, what's the difference (if any) between BSc and BA? My mum's is probably being an oldie by claiming BSc is more widely respected, without offense to anyone. I think it's a load of BS and she's a fool ;D

NorthernChaosGod
06-11-2010, 11:39 PM
In school getting a BSc. in Biology.

Didn't we do this thread before?

Jessweeee♪
06-11-2010, 11:47 PM
I spent my first year at Texas State University studying computer science/math and landed myself on academic suspension. I'm currently looking at schools in Florida P:

Rye
06-11-2010, 11:48 PM
My first year of university was at University of Rhode Island. Middle of nowhere, though it was a decent enough school, just way overpriced. 30K a year for a state school can eff right off.

Second year was study abroad to University of Reading. I didn't like this university.

I've just transferred to Stony Brook University. So far I'm feeling really great about this place. I actually just met with my advisor today and I've gotten everything sorted, so I'll be graduating on time, thank god. I really like the campus. The price is great for instate (5K a year). The only bad thing is that the commute is 45 minutes, and it's an absolute gas guzzler.

I'm an English and Secondary Education double major.

Oh, and here is my new schedule:

Mon/Wed/Fri :

History - Postwar Japan
10:45 am - 11:35 am

Tues/Thurs:

Writing 102
9:50 am - 11:10 am

Modern and Contemporary Lit: Hiroshima and Vietnam
11:20 am - 12:40 pm
Introduction to Solar System Science
12:50 pm - 2:10 pm

Literary Analysis & Argumentation
2:20 pm - 3:40 pm

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/ryechuuu/SCHEDULEEEEEESBUFALL.jpg

From the stand point of commuting, it's a great schedule - no gaps. Looking at it from the work angle, it's also good. I can't work on Tuesday or Thursday, but I can work a lot on the other days of the week. But man - 10 am to 4 pm with no break. That's just mean.

fire_of_avalon
06-12-2010, 12:19 AM
I started my college career at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill in 2003. Then my life fell a part and I was gone until January 2006. I did my thang until July 2008 when my life fell apart again.

Now that I'm in a better place I'm going to take some online classes to get myself off of suspension. By December I will have a pretty daunting decision to make. Do I transfer my classes to the UNC school close to home (Asheville) or do I move back to Chapel Hill to finish my degree there? Hmm! What would you do?

Aerith's Knight
06-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Oh, what's the difference (if any) between BSc and BA? My mum's is probably being an oldie by claiming BSc is more widely respected, without offense to anyone. I think it's a load of BS and she's a fool ;D

BSc. is a bachelor of Science, and a BA is a Bachelor of Arts.

So yeah, BSc. is more widely respected.. Because it's science, not literature or philosophy or other BS you don't use in real life. Gun to your head, what's harder and more useful, English Lit. or Physics?

You now get my point.

My first year of university was at University of Rhode Island. Middle of nowhere, though it was a decent enough school, just way overpriced. 30K a year for a state school can eff right off.

Second year was study abroad to University of Reading. I didn't like this university.

I've just transferred to Stony Brook University. So far I'm feeling really great about this place. I actually just met with my advisor today and I've gotten everything sorted, so I'll be graduating on time, thank god. I really like the campus. The price is great for instate (5K a year). The only bad thing is that the commute is 45 minutes, and it's an absolute gas guzzler.

What the hell? Seriously? That's so much money.

Another reason I'm glad I live in the Netherlands where you automatically get a full scholarship.

Madame Adequate
06-12-2010, 12:42 AM

Nothing meaningful, seeing as some universities consider these things based on the ideas laid out by the Classical Greeks. For example, Scotland classes Physics as "Natural Philosophy" and puts it in the Arts, not Sciences.

Of course, everyone uses degree-level physics in their everyday lives, which makes it superior :)

BarelySeeAtAll
06-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Well if a gun was to my head, I don't think lit or physics would really help :p

Oh okay.....well I'm looking at the four universities (one right up in lancashire O_O..I live in DEVON >_<) soonish :D It's all pretty exciting :hyper:

Rye
06-12-2010, 12:49 AM
I really dislike when people say any major is harder or more important than another. I want to slap people who laugh at say, people taking Fashion Design major. My roommate's friend was in fashion design, and she had to take advanced chemistry as a requirement of her major, because they do chemical mixes for clothing. Besides which, it's hard to say what is harder or easier than another, because everyone (who has a choice) gravitates towards a major that comes most naturally to them. That's not to say easiest, but something they feel the most like towards and the most drive to study and work hard in.

So don't worry about which is most "respected." People who actually take that sort of thing seriously and not the work, grades and passion put into their degrees are insecure butts.

fire_of_avalon
06-12-2010, 12:55 AM
BAs are definitely not less respected by normal people. By petulant nerds who get their rocks off by talking about their BS degrees, maybe.

The real difference in a BA and BS degree is that one is related to science and the other is not.

BA and BS degrees are academically and professionally equivalent. The denotation of your degree means a whole hell of a lot less in using that degree than... actually using that degree. Certain courses of study may be more challenging to some, but that doesn't mean people with BS degrees are any better or have any better shot at a job outside of their specific training.

When deciding upon what type of degree you want, and what course of study you'll pursue, I advise against focusing on what makes you look smart. Focus on what you would like to be doing in 10 years and then pick what'll get you there.

Imperfectionist
06-12-2010, 12:58 AM
I am hopefully going to do a joint honours in English Lit. and French starting this September at either Nottingham or Birmingham University. That is given that I don't screw up my grades which i'm pretty sure I will.

I'm oozing with confidence as you can see :roll2

BarelySeeAtAll
06-12-2010, 01:01 AM
=) Okies! My family aren't that academic, so I can't really ask people here about it =_= they have high hopes.

Sorry! I totally misguided the direction and intention of this thread!! That's that cleared up ^_^'

I Took the Red Pill
06-12-2010, 01:12 AM
I am pursuing a B.S. in either Mathematics or Applied Mathematics, haven't decided on that yet, likely with a minor in Physics. I might also squeeze an English minor in there if time permits 'cause other than math and physics classes I'll only be taking english classes.

So yeah, BSc. is more widely respected.. Because it's science, not literature or philosophy or other BS you don't use in real life. Gun to your head, what's harder and more useful, English Lit. or Physics?give me a break man

Namingway
06-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Currently studying for a B.Sc. in molecular biology at Lund University in Sweden. Planning for M.Sc. and maybe Ph.D. studies later. There are no tuition fees in Sweden so it's great, but on the other hand I have to pay back student loans of ~$35K when I'm done. :/

fire_of_avalon
06-12-2010, 01:25 AM
=) Okies! My family aren't that academic, so I can't really ask people here about it =_= they have high hopes.

Sorry! I totally misguided the direction and intention of this thread!! That's that cleared up ^_^'
I was in that boat before I went to college, too. No one in my family aside from two cousins had even graduated high school, so it was pretty hard to transition for me. But I managed, and I'm sure you will too!

Rye
06-12-2010, 01:27 AM
That's why I'm trying to do a five year masters degree program. I think I'm charged the same amount I pay in undergrad, so it'd be much cheaper than doing it elsewhere and for 3 years.

If I do go onto having a career in education on the university level, then I'll have to get a PhD. If not, I'll probably stop at my Masters degree. I'd loooove to get another BA/BS degree in one of my other interests, like Psychology, Graphic Design, or Biology.

EDIT: I'm in a similar situation, BarelySee. I'm the first person to go to college in my family, and my parents really don't seem to understand college at all.

Jessweeee♪
06-12-2010, 01:34 AM
Oh man. I lost interest in CS and math and my grades showed, which is why I got put on suspension. I saw an advisor about changing my major to Psychology towards the end of last semester. I didn't know what I wanted to do, so I decided to major in something that I had a lot of fun learning about. I posted something about it on facebook (leaving out my grades) and my parents called and threw the biggest fit. It was like I said I was dropping out and working at Seven Eleven. They went on about how I was making this huge mistake and I'll never get anywhere with a Psychology degree. I stopped answering their phone calls for a month because they would only ever talk to me to nag about it. Even now when I talk to my dad about other schools he'll go on and say something like "oh and I'm sure they have plenty of basketweaving if that's what you wanna do, whatever." :|

If I can ever afford it I want to stay in school forever. Just take one or two classes a semester while I work.

EDIT:

I am also in that club. My parents never finished high school.

Christmas
06-12-2010, 01:36 AM
I have been in the university of working adults for the past few years. I studied about working with people and various lessons not listed in the text books. But it's sure is a good experience I will say! :bigsmile:

Rye
06-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Psychology is a great thing to go into, provided you go in for your PhD after. Psychiatry, even more so. =O

I considered going to school for an art, when I was still thinking about what I wanted to do for a major, and my parents refused to allow me to go. They said that I'd end up jobless in that market. ;O

The more I hear about your parents, the more I'm convinced that they're my parents' Texan alter-egos.

Jessweeee♪
06-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Sometimes I think you're an alternate universe me one year in the future xD

Fujiko
06-12-2010, 01:43 AM
I used to study medicine at Karolinska Institutet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karolinska_Institutet) in Sweden, but switched majors and enrolled at another university where I could count the medicine courses I had taken before, to my new major. As of now, it's only a few more months left till I have my Master of Science (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Science) in molecular biology.

My whole family and every single relative are science/math nerds; if they're not doctors they're professors and PhDs in chem and math and computers, and esp medicine and engineering. The pressure was really too much from the family about how medicine or engineering or science was the only way, but science is what I decided upon in the end after all; it's not that I don't like science (I love it), but I think I'm more of an art/language person than a science person, to be honest. ;/ But! I still don't really regret choosing science; it never ceases to interest or amaze me.

Madame Adequate
06-12-2010, 01:54 AM
My parents both went to uni, but I'm the first to go beyond undergrad, so I kinda count in that club :D

fire_of_avalon
06-12-2010, 02:03 AM
No, no you are not in our super special secret awesome club. You having previous knowledge of the college experience through stories told to you by your parents!

rubah
06-12-2010, 02:05 AM
my uncle and his brood have college educations, and my parents have both went, but neither finished any degrees, and both started as "adults". Hell, I doubt the majority of people I graduated high school with have gone on xD

anyway, I've got one year left at the University of Arkansas for a BSME, I've taken an intensive French program at the Centre de Linguistique Applique, which is a part of the University of Franche-Comte, and right now, I'm doing undergraduate research at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

Rye
06-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Yeah, your parents at least have an idea of how college goes, Hux. XD Today, my Dad freaked out about me signing up for 5 classes, because he thought full year students only took 3 courses, and that I was going to run up the bill extra or something. I mean, I can't fault them if they don't know about college, but they should at least have the common sense to not act like they know more than I do about my own college education, when they've not even the slightest clue that full year students have to take at least 12 credits a semester.

At least my Mom knows better and has me basically do everything for my brother that his adviser hasn't already done, now that he's going into college this year.

Jessweeee♪
06-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Advisers are so useless! My first one convinced me to take a math class I wasn't supposed to take (though I got an A in it while only going in about four times xD) and another calculated my GPA wrong :|

I guess it's my fault for not double checking ._.

rubah
06-12-2010, 03:23 AM
advising? *_*

"here, ah, you take dis papa, and oh!? you fill it out already?! good, good"

ILU ICJ, even if I cried for like an hour after the first time being advised by you <3

Raistlin
06-12-2010, 04:33 AM
BAs are definitely not less respected by normal people. By petulant nerds who get their rocks off by talking about their BS degrees, maybe.

The real difference in a BA and BS degree is that one is related to science and the other is not.

BA and BS degrees are academically and professionally equivalent. The denotation of your degree means a whole hell of a lot less in using that degree than... actually using that degree. Certain courses of study may be more challenging to some, but that doesn't mean people with BS degrees are any better or have any better shot at a job outside of their specific training.

When deciding upon what type of degree you want, and what course of study you'll pursue, I advise against focusing on what makes you look smart. Focus on what you would like to be doing in 10 years and then pick what'll get you there.

This, absolutely. The most obscure artsy degree can be great for you if you know what you want to do with it.

Also, the university and professors have way more impact on the difficulty of a certain degrees. At Gettysburg, for instance, History was widely considered one of the most difficult, work-intensive majors (which is not true at many other schools; I took a 300-level history class at American University which was an absolute joke). This was due to the history professors Gettysburg attracts, who are all crazy obsessed people.

I think what many people actually do look down on is degrees without any meaningful thought on what you want to do or how to use them, not just based on a ridiculous and arbitrary B.S./B.A. hierarchy.

Clo
06-12-2010, 04:48 AM
I attend Niagara University currently, and I'll be out of there soon enough with a teacher certification for English Education 5 -12.

Huzzah.

Miriel
06-12-2010, 05:18 AM
I have a BA in Sociology from the University of Southern California. I knew going into it that I wouldn't use my degree career wise. But it's made me a better person and I really loved all my Soc classes. I think Sociology should be required class, starting from High School.

I love the subject so much that I'd happily take courses in Sociology at UC Berkeley which is really close to where I live, and they don't mind having random non-students drop in to take classes. They have some really interesting classes that USC didn't offer like Sociology of Gender. That sounds fascinating to me. :excited:

Student loans are no joke though. Daaamn.

oddler
06-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Gun to your head, what's harder and more useful, English Lit. or Physics?

Le sigh. :|

If I do go onto having a career in education on the university level, then I'll have to get a PhD. If not, I'll probably stop at my Masters degree.

I was of the understanding that a Masters is enough for university level education. Is that wrong or does it differ across states? :confused:

Even now when I talk to my dad about other schools he'll go on and say something like "oh and I'm sure they have plenty of basketweaving if that's what you wanna do, whatever." :|

EDIT:

I am also in that club. My parents never finished high school.

I read the first part and then got to the edit and had to do a double-take. I can understand that maybe he's going into some protective mode where he's trying to safeguard you from doing something you'll regret but it looks like he has very little room to pass around advice.

A couple of the reasons I never seriously went to college were because:
1) I didn't have a good reason to go. I didn't see what I was going to gain in the long run that I couldn't learn through self-discipline or through practical application and
2) I didn't know what I wanted to "do."

Those and this...

Student loans are no joke though. Daaamn.

When I graduated high school, I chose earning money over spending money. xD

So yeah, I'm "uneducated" but I'm happy and financially well at the same time. :choc2:

Clo
06-12-2010, 02:00 PM
If I do go onto having a career in education on the university level, then I'll have to get a PhD. If not, I'll probably stop at my Masters degree.

I was of the understanding that a Masters is enough for university level education. Is that wrong or does it differ across states? :confused:

It seems to differ across the states and depending on the degree. I'm an Education major, and if I stay in NY I'll be required to get a Master's degree in so many years in order to continue to qualify to work. In other states, this is not the case, and you only need an Undergraduate degree. Since I don't plan on staying in NY, my continuing education is a big question mark depending on where I move (though I would eventually like to see a Master's either/or).

Shiny
06-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I am too lazy to go upstairs and get my schedule, but I know it will include Advanced Avid and After Effects class. I'm also taking a class on Advanced Production with Chris Newman who has worked on films like The Godfather, The Exorcist, and Silence of the Lambs so that should be pretty cool. My major is in film editing. I'm going for a Bachelor. I may pursue a Masters at a near-by college after I'm done getting my Bachelors.

Raistlin
06-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I was of the understanding that a Masters is enough for university level education. Is that wrong or does it differ across states?

The minimum requirement may only be a Masters, but today in order to have much of a chance of getting tenure (or even a job in the first place) you need a PhD. I think all of my professors in the History and Poli Sci departments had PhDs. The only ones that I remember didn't were my Spanish professors.

Madame Adequate
06-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah, you can teach at uni level here without a PhD., but I'd say about 80-85% of people do have one, and many of the remainder are working as teachers whilst doing their own doctorates.

Rye
06-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I was of the understanding that a Masters is enough for university level education. Is that wrong or does it differ across states?

The minimum requirement may only be a Masters, but today in order to have much of a chance of getting tenure (or even a job in the first place) you need a PhD. I think all of my professors in the History and Poli Sci departments had PhDs. The only ones that I remember didn't were my Spanish professors.

Yeah. I'd need my masters as a minimum even if I were to teach High School within 3 years of getting a job there, like Clo said.

But on the university level, you can land a job as a lower professor, perhaps an assistant or part-time with just an MA, or as a full teacher at a 2-year school. But you have to work towards your PhD and obtain it before you can be offered a full position at the majority of four year universities, let alone be offered tenure there. To get tenure, you have to already be publishing a lot within the field of your position. It's hard to get tenure, but when you do get it, you're pretty much set for life.

Fujiko
06-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah, you can teach at uni level here without a PhD., but I'd say about 80-85% of people do have one, and many of the remainder are working as teachers whilst doing their own doctorates.

That's how it is in Sweden (at least in Stockholm, since I go to uni there); they all have at least a PhD (but most are professors). If they don't have a PhD they're doing their doctorate research when they're not teaching uni students. :)

The Man
06-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I have a bachelor's degree in political science. I went into the field because I wanted to help people, and by the time I had completed my degree I had concluded that there was no way to do that in any meaningful fashion by working with politicians. Maybe I'm just being too cynical, but nearly every political official in our government has too wide an ideological gulf separating them from my own views for me to be able to tolerate working with them, both on the authoritarian/libertarian and on the economic scale. And there's no chance I can get elected to anything significant, with my social and (somewhat anti-) religious views. To be honest I'm not sure an atheist could get elected dog catcher in this country.

I'm still hoping that I can make some meaningful changes outside of the system, but we'll see. For now I'm just working at a book store whilst I recuperate from motivational depletion due to six years of university. (Yes I switched majors a lot).

escobert
06-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I went to Plymouth State University in Plymouth New hampshire. I only attended for a semester and decided homework and tests weren't for me ata the time. Now after grinding in the working world I've been thinking I'd like to go back at somepoint. But I'm not sure what I'd want to do. I was a history major before but I'd either like to work wiht animals or computers imo.

Chloe.
06-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm currently in my first year of Sixth Form studying Health and Social and Art, I'm not planning on going to University after, it's never really interested me. I don't actually know what I want to do when I leave Sixth Form, I'll probably see if I can go full-time where I work.

Shlup
06-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a bachelor's in psychology, another in human development, and a multiple subject teaching credential from California State University. They haven't done me much good though, so I'm thinking about going back for a semester to add a math authorization to my credential. Then I could teach AP calculus and :bou::bou::bou::bou: at high schools. >:}

Mo-Nercy
06-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm in my final year of a Bachelor's of Social Work at the University of Sydney. I've really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure if it was for me when I first signed up for it (especially when I rocked up to the first lecture to see only 9 other males), but now I can't wait to become a social worker.

Tavrobel
06-12-2010, 09:45 PM
http://zs1.smbc-comics.com/comics/20100524.gif

You also can't end a sentence with a preposition!

Jings
06-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I've got an MA in History from the University of Glasgow. Graduated last year and now I'm unemployed. Well worth the effort. :monster:

Zeldy
06-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm currently in the last leg of my A-Levels at Carmel College, done my 2 years, just need to get the damn exams beat. I do (did, past tense now) Sociology, Photography and English Literature.

If all goes to plan (ie, I get the BBB I need), I'll be skipping to the University of York where I want to continue Sociology and combine it with Criminology. :jess: It's a pretty brave move seeing as though I'll be 2 hours away from home!

Madame Adequate
06-12-2010, 10:29 PM
You ought to do Murderonomy instead!

Zeldy
06-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I googled that and still have no idea what you mean :(:(:(

Meat Puppet
06-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I went once but... I dunno. I guess I’m just stump-fucking-dumb or something. It’s a long, boring story.

Madame Adequate
06-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I googled that and still have no idea what you mean :(:(:(

How do you expect to get into uni if you don't know your Futurama :(

Tavrobel
06-12-2010, 11:30 PM
How do you expect to get into uni if you don't know your Futurama :(

Her looks and a propensity for alcohol.

NorthernChaosGod
06-13-2010, 04:59 AM
I have a bachelor's in psychology, another in human development, and a multiple subject teaching credential from California State University. They haven't done me much good though, so I'm thinking about going back for a semester to add a math authorization to my credential. Then I could teach AP calculus and :bou::bou::bou::bou: at high schools. >:}

If you had been my AP Calculus teacher I probably would have learned a whole lot more. :jokey:

Jiro
06-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Bachelor of Journalism, got my exams for my first semester this/next week. After that, I wanna study more stuff but I'll probably end up working for a time first until I know what I want to study.

Bunny
06-13-2010, 09:06 AM

If you had been my AP Calculus teacher I probably would have learned a whole lot more. :jokey:

Like not to hit on married women who can probably beat you up?

Madame Adequate
06-13-2010, 02:37 PM
"Probably"? :eyebrow:

Goldenboko
06-13-2010, 02:40 PM
I had been waiting to get accepted for a loan before posting in this thread :p

Going to Northeastern up in Boston! :) Plan on going for some type of Engineering, although I'm split on the specifics, I enjoy programming so some type of Computer Engineering is probably where I'll end up.

He would probably enjoy it!

Namingway
06-13-2010, 03:44 PM
That's how it is in Sweden (at least in Stockholm, since I go to uni there); they all have at least a PhD (but most are professors). If they don't have a PhD they're doing their doctorate research when they're not teaching uni students. :)
It's the same in Lund; a Ph.D. degree is required (among other things) to apply for professor and lector positions. You can't just teach here, though; you have to do research as well. Unfortunately, some professors view teaching as something unpleasant that they have to do in order to be allowed to do their research; the educational quality of their courses suffers accordingly. :( Fortunately, there are professors who appreciate and enjoy teaching as well.

NorthernChaosGod
06-13-2010, 04:30 PM

He would probably enjoy it!
THIS.

Fujiko
06-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Unfortunately, some professors view teaching as something unpleasant that they have to do in order to be allowed to do their research; the educational quality of their courses suffers accordingly. :( Fortunately, there are professors who appreciate and enjoy teaching as well.

True.

Jess
06-14-2010, 08:14 PM
I went to college twice. The first time I was doing Psychology, ICT & Art. I dropped out because it was an awful college. My grades were all A's but I couldn't stick it.

The second time, I did Health & Social Care. The only reason I did it is because they lied to me and told me a ton of it was Psychology. One module was Psychology. One. The rest were Sociology and Biology. After a year and qualification got, I quit that too.

So, I never made it to University.

I work in insurance now for RSA (used to be Royal Sun Alliance), so nothing to do with what I did at college.

I always wanted to do a degree in Psychology, and I wanted to be a forensic psychologist.

I'd like to do a part-time OU degree at some point, possibly in Law to be a solicitor.