PDA

View Full Version : Powerful Gaming Moments (SPOILERS!)

Laddy
06-13-2010, 02:49 PM
What moments in gaving captivated or affected you?

FFVII-Aerith's death. Although FFVII gets a lot of undeserved hate on EoFF, Aerith's death is symbolic. Aerith, who epitomized good in the world, was struck down and sank to the bottom of the ocean. In essence, she represented purity and goodness being destroyed and evil truly emergind. This scene is parodied and talked about for reasons. Powerful, unexpected, emotional. Face it, if it wasn't for the large amount of spoilers, this scene would of pissed you off (in a good way) more than any other scene in a great (if somewhat poorly told) story.

Baldur's Gate II-Let's kill our beloved, m'kay? You spend hours, no, days, engaging in a richly-told, powerful romance with one of four lovers. Now your lover is not only turned into a vampire, but wants you dead. You have to kill them, rip apart the very person you spent so many hours getting to know and love. It's tragic, it's powerful, it's severely underatted as a powerful and moving experience.

Metal Gear Solid 3-Last few minutes. Everything was perfect. "Snake...do it, Snake."

Heavy Rain-I'm a Father too. What would you do to save someone you love? This moment epitomizes it. Would you really do anything? It's powerful, it's amazing, it's unbeliavble.

KOTOR-That big evil guy we talked about the entire game? He's you. Another great. This moment is fantastic because the signs were there and I guaranteed absoultely fucking nobody saw it coming.

SIlent Hill 2-Pyramid Head rapes monsters. Twice. Is that not the sickest thing ever?

More to come. You?

Christmas
06-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Harvest Moon - When one of my animals died, I cried a river. :(
When I got married, I dance and sing the night away! :bigsmile:

FF VI - Changing of World of Balance to World of Ruins. I realize I like the World of Ruins more for unknown reasons. :bigsmile:

VeloZer0
06-13-2010, 03:49 PM
FF6 - Celes attempted suicide scene. Enough said

Crono's Death. As soon as he stood up against Lavos I was thinking "oh man, Crono is going to summon some supper awesome main character powers. This is going to be sweet" And then, bam! Completely blown away by the power of Lavos. I remember just siting staring at the screen for 30 seconds having it sink in.

The first few playthroughs of FF7 I never really batted an eye at Aries death, though as I grew up the scene started to resonate on me more and more.

This is something I need to think on more

Suikojowy
06-13-2010, 03:56 PM
I agree with the end of MGS 3, that was awesome.

Final Fight Real Bout 2 -Fighting game storylines aren't usually great and I suppose this one's wasn't anything special either. Endings in these games are usually forgettable but Terry's ending where Terry reaches out to save a falling Geese Howard only for his rival Geese to yank his hand away and fall to his death laughing, choosing pride over his life. I thought that was a great moment.

Suikoden - Gremio's death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGAuDm6yF4). "That is my first, and final request...". He sacrifices himself to save the party without a second thought and it's the one time he refuses an order from Tir

There are many others I could list but I don't want to get too carried away for now.

NorthernChaosGod
06-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Crono's Death. As soon as he stood up against Lavos I was thinking "oh man, Crono is going to summon some supper awesome main character powers. This is going to be sweet" And then, bam! Completely blown away by the power of Lavos. I remember just siting staring at the screen for 30 seconds having it sink in.

I agree completely.

Xenogears - Pretty much anytime this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKZfho8ugU) plays.

Clo
06-13-2010, 04:47 PM
This might be the same as "Crono's Death", but the Fall of Zeal more specifically! It's so exciting and horrible and whoa.

Mo-Nercy
06-13-2010, 04:52 PM
GTA IV
You don't normally expect big storyline twists in a game like GTA. I don't know if other people could see it coming, but Roman's death (if you do indeed choose to down that route) was pretty powerful.

Vermachtnis
06-13-2010, 05:31 PM
When Alkaid gets put in a coma. It really hits hard out in the real world you see a news story about her. But when they're reunited at the end of part 3 is just a huge moment of d'awwwwwww.

Vyk
06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Xenogears - Pretty much anytime this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKZfho8ugU) plays.

Oh man. Just hearing that makes me want to re-play the touching/epic-ness of that game :[

Phantasy Star games should be mentioned, but I won't say what happens

Edit: I just remembered. Something powerful happens very early in the first Alundra game. And pretty much the first time anyone plays it unprepared is just like wtf that kinda :bou::bou::bou::bou: isn't supposed to happen in a Zelda-clone. Powerful and moving stuff. Highly recommended. At least play through the beginning of the game, anyone who hasn't yet

Slothy
06-13-2010, 08:12 PM
KOTOR-That big evil guy we talked about the entire game? He's you. Another great. This moment is fantastic because the signs were there and I guaranteed absoultely smurfing nobody saw it coming.

I saw it coming from pretty early on actually. In fact, I felt they telegraphed it so often that I to this day can't understand why it was a surprise for anyone or why this twist is held up as a shining moment in gaming story telling. Utterly ruined the game for me.

I have to agree with you on Heavy Rain and MGS3 though. Some of the most moving and powerful moments in gaming.

NeoCracker
06-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals had a couple moments that were amazing. The First one was your final confrontation with Indura. He manages to trap Dekar in the shrine while the rest of you escape. The shrine proceeds to collapse in on Dekar. ;_; (Yes, he managed to make it out alive, but you don't find that out until the very end.)

The other is the very end, where you both learn the true Identity of Iris, as well as sacrifice your own life to prevent Doom Island from falling.

Breath of Fire 2 - The Death of Rands Mother was pretty well played. As was the scenes with Tiga, Katt, and the other chick is St. Everat Church.'

I'd list some Xenosaga ones, but begginning to end there are so many scenes that have a punch.

qwertysaur
06-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Persona 3
There are so many but I'll limit myself to The final boss, the entire month of December, the Hanged man Social Link, and the sun Social link.

NeoCracker
06-13-2010, 08:48 PM
P3's Sun Social Link is probably my favorite in the whole series. :love:

Iceglow
06-13-2010, 08:57 PM
I know this one will be cliche but imho they're the 2 most powerful moments of FFVIII,

Firstly on Disc 1 where Irvine is cracking up because he has trouble with the pressure. A lot of people were like "pussy!" during that moment but think on it, his shot would have completely changed everything. I can kinda relate to him having that kind of pressure and not being able to handle it it's a lot to have asked of one person and sometimes those who are most afraid of what they have to do are the ones who put up the biggest defences.

Second moment in the game what actually made me feel strongly was the end of Disc 2. The Garden to Garden clash was brutal and if you bothered to take a little time during it getting random battles in you can sense just how big it was. When Squall is having to rally the troops of Garden a bunch of cadets not fully trained and a handful of surviving SeeD members who are still part of Garden and have them not only defend but push the assault the cutting over the weary students slowly pushing themselves up and off the floor and readying themselves for battle again against a more numerous and experienced opponent is kind of heart warming.

In IX I had many moments where I felt "wow thats powerful stuff" first there was Vivi and the black waltz on the airship from Dali. Then you had Burmecia followed by the death of Queen Brahnne, the Alexander cutscene and then the Silver Dragons.

Laddy
06-13-2010, 09:18 PM
P3's good ending was brilliant on so many levels. Never before have I felt so much for a character whose personality, attitude, and actions so undefined. It felt almost as if you were dying, as if you were the main character. It's almost, heartwarming, a sense of proud accomplishment, a sense of "I've done what I have to do."

Of course The Answer completely and utterly fucked up what was (in my opinion) one of the greatest endings in a video game ever.

Greatermaximus
06-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Moments not mentioned yet and somewhat spoilers this thread encourages but...

The death that Krile in V has to take over.

Beating Trevelyan on Goldeneye.

Fighting Velius in FF Tactics and fighting under Murond Death City.

Beating a strategy building game at a high level like Civilization.

Escaping Midgar under siege and beating Sephiroth.

Personal: The joke the princess tells at the end of Mario 3 that had my brother run down the stairs to tell the whole family.

I Took the Red Pill
06-14-2010, 04:08 AM
Chrono Cross: Battle with Miguel
Suikoden II: Jowy joining Luca Blight
Kingdom Hearts 2: Goofy seemingly dies

Madame Adequate
06-14-2010, 04:30 AM

God yes. Agreed absolutely.

FFVII: When Nanaki learns the truth of Seto's sacrifice, that scene where he howls up at him, oh man. Gets me every time, way more than Aeris does.

FFX: I really, really wasn't expecting to, but I bawww'd at the ending.

Call of Duty 4: You're the US god damn Marines, and you just did a heroic-assed rescue because you don't leave a man behind. Then, the nuke goes off and you spend a level crawling around with no weapons, no enemies, no anything, and at the last minute no help or rescue arrives and you die. For my money, one of the best uses and subversions of gameplay in recent gaming.

Mass Effect: Virmire. Just... Virmire.

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2010, 06:39 AM

I agree completely.

I strongly agree on both accounts. Xenogears just has so many damn awesome moments.

I also will do a shout out for the ending to P3, it was beatifully done, I also love how in The Answer, you have to battle you're whole party cause everyone turns on each other over controlling the fate of the main character from P3..

Any of the scenes in P4 that involve the main character interacting with his cousin. She is absolutely adorable and her innocents is heart wrenching (well if I had a heart...:shifty: )

The Birth of the Three Reasons' Avatars in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne/Lucifer's Call. As well as reaching the end of the Amala Network and setting the game on the course of the True Demon Ending.

The Battle against Garr in Angel Tower in BoFIII as well as the reunion with Teepo in Myria's Space Station.

Mami and Fou Lu from BoFIV

Nina and Bosch's flashbacks in BoFV as well as the ending.

The entire ending sequence of MGS3 starting from when you sneak back into Grozny Grad to plant the C3 explosives.

The death of FOXHOUND and Cyborg Ninja in MGS1

The death of the Metroid in Super Metroid

The last two boss battles in No More Heroes (a giant smurf you to the fourth wall)

Discovering the truth behind St. Ajora and the Glabados Church as well as the ending to Chapter 1 in FFTactics

Death of the Mana tree in Secret of Mana and the whole Mana Fortress.

Albedo's scenes in the Song of Nephilim hell just anytime Albedo shows up in Xenosaga.

The ending to Xenosaga: Pied Pier... Poor Ziggy...

Getting the opportunity to finally beat the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of Shion in Xenosaga Episode 3 for being a selfish pain in the ass for three games.

The 2nd week in The World Ends With You

Miguel and the burning orphanage in Crono Cross

The truth about Rue's past in Threads of Fate

The ending to the Jumi Tribe story arc in Legend of Mana

The final battle at Hyrule castle in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Celes' attempted suicide in FFVI as well as the Opera and the games opening.

Vivi battling the Black Waltz and Bahamut vs. Alexander which I still contest is the greatest FMV in the entire FF series.

Cross-examining a Parrot in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Ashton from Star Ocean 2, need I say more?

The 4th dimension twist in Star Ocean III (laughed my ass off)

Discovering Samus Aran is actually a woman in Metroid

Cecil becoming a Paladin in FFIV

Galuf's death in FFV

The opening to FFVII and the Nibelheim flashback

The ending of Disc 1 on FFVIII

The Pharos Lighthouse in XII the whole damn thing

Discovering the "true world" in FFIII

Battling Richter and discovering the Reverse Castle in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

McDohl fighting his dad in Suikoden I

Acquiring McDohl in Suikoden II as well as the siege on Luca Blight

The assassination of the King and Queen in Suikoden V

The death of Zero in MMX1, battling Zero in MMX2, Zero saving X in the ending to X3, Battling Dragoon in X4 as well as the flashback battle between Zero and Sigma. X's final battle with Sigma in X6.

Ico and Shadow of Colossus, both the whole damn game.

Anytime Roxas shows up and plays a central part in Kingdom Hearts.

The truth behind Rudy in Wild ARMS 1 and Ashely meeting the great hero in Wild ARMS 2nd Ignition

The ending to Persona 2:Innocent Sin and then all of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

Just to name a few... :cool:

Pete for President
06-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Gray Fox' death in MGS 1.

MGS4: Old Snake crawling to the final room which makes you buttonbash like a maniac. Epic.

Shadow of the Colossus: Agro falling off the cliff.

X: Fighting Seymour for the first time, the crusaders getting obliterated by Sin, the cutscenes right before fighting Yunalesca.

blackmage_nuke
06-14-2010, 07:51 AM
KOTOR-That big evil guy we talked about the entire game? He's you. Another great. This moment is fantastic because the signs were there and I guaranteed absoultely smurfing nobody saw it coming.

I saw it coming from the first flashback. "Oh a guy in a mask I bet it turns out to be me" And then once the thought settled in i realised they never reffered to Revan as "he" or "she" so it wasnt that hard to piece together

Now getting Zalbar to kill Mission, that was all kinds of awesome.

MGS - Greyfox's death, Sniper Wolf's death, Psycho Mantis's death
MGS3 - The giant ladder
KH2 - Looks like my summer vacation is...over
Chrono trigger- Crono's death, I always love that one scene in any game where a silent protagonist breaks out of the player's control and does/says what they want (even at times when it's just "..."), this was by far the most unexpected powerful use of that discovery of individuality moment. Also any time frog's theme plays
Suikoden - On that note I wasnt effected heavily when Gremio died but moments after when the main character knelt down and said "........" it got to me.
FFVI- Opera scene, suicide scene
Seiken Densetsu 3 : any of the six opening sections up to and including when "meridian child" plays

Slothy
06-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Call of Duty 4: You're the US god damn Marines, and you just did a heroic-assed rescue because you don't leave a man behind. Then, the nuke goes off and you spend a level crawling around with no weapons, no enemies, no anything, and at the last minute no help or rescue arrives and you die. For my money, one of the best uses and subversions of gameplay in recent gaming.

I'm kind of surprised I forgot about that. Have to agree with you on it. Speaking of using gameplay to tell the story, I have to mention the last level of Braid actually. Regardless of whether someone thinks the story up until that point has been somewhat pretentious in it's telling, the way it uses the rewind mechanic to completely subvert everything you thought you knew about the story to that point was utterly brilliant. I'd put it up there with the COD4 example as one of the best examples of using gameplay to tell a story that I can think of. I kind of wish that the rest of the game had told it's story through gameplay that well.

I'll also say that I agree with to much of Wolf Kanno's post to waste the space quoting it.